PDA

View Full Version : phylactery idea

stolenchariot
2007-08-06, 12:09 AM
Ok, I just ahd this thought, so I haven't had much time for crunch or polish, but ehre goes.

Suppose a lich had numerous strongholds and placed his phylactery in one, obviously under heavy guard in an out of the way place. Now, directly around said phylactery is a device functioning like a contigency greater teleport that teleports the phylactery to a random stronghold of the lich if it is approached without a command word spoken. Could be frustrating for players.

Cryopyre
2007-08-06, 12:25 AM
evil, but damn funny. Personally, I'd just sink it to the bottom of the deepest trench concealed in what would appear to be mud, I'd just fear dying at random beacause a crab stepped on it or something.

Hazkali
2007-08-06, 02:00 AM
evil, but damn funny. Personally, I'd just sink it to the bottom of the deepest trench concealed in what would appear to be mud, I'd just fear dying at random beacause a crab stepped on it or something.

I swear everyone forgets that a Phylactery has 40hp and a Hardness of 20. In other words, it deducts 20 points of damage from every hit. There's no way a crab is going to be able to do that!

:smalltongue:

Anyhow, that does sound a good plan, StolenChariot. Of course, someone will eventually twig and cast a Dispel Magic or Antimagic field at the Phylactery. Or else, the attackers could make sure that there are people at all of the strongholds, so that there is always someone wherever it's at.

Zeta Kai
2007-08-06, 05:22 AM
Why chuck the real one in the bottom of the ocean, & put a fake on in the middle of your teleportation trap? The PC's will likely (if they're smart) use divination to track where it went, so why not fool them twice by having them hunt down a placebo?

stolenchariot
2007-08-06, 09:57 AM
Or better yet, have them track a placebo that has protection from scrying and causes the person scrying it to suffer fom the effects of a Nightmare spell everytime they try to do so.

Cruxador
2007-08-06, 10:38 AM
Or the one placebo with those effects, teleporting, not to forts, but assorted dungeons, then a second Placebo, nightmare and antiscrying, buried at the bottom of a trench at the bottom of the ocean - but with a special crystal ball for 'checking on it' and the real one in a different underwater trench entirely scryproofed and full of undead, ready to attack intruders.

stolenchariot
2007-08-06, 10:48 AM
Ooh, and to add to the fun, the real one in the underwater trench creates a rip leading to the negative energy plane if removed, so ifthe PC's tried to remove it to destroy it easier, they'd have to deal with 1. breathing underwater, which is simple at higher levels 2. killing all the undead and 3. not getting the life sucked from them and turning into withered hus

Icewalker
2007-08-06, 10:48 AM
Easy enough to stop the antimagic field solution. Make parts of the stronghold around the phylactery magically supported, so casting it causes it to fall in on them.

To stop the dispel magic, you'd have to make it so the teleport spell was part of the stronghold instead of the phylactery, and I think (not clear on how that works really) that it could dispel the stabilizing building too.

stolenchariot
2007-08-06, 11:01 AM
The way I envisioned the teleporting was that there were two components; a certain area of the stronghold, and the phylactery itself. The teleportation spells would originate from the stronghold, but were modified to only affect the phylactery.