PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Tales The Guile Hero's Playbook, punching above your weight

The Fury
2017-06-28, 01:00 PM
I've mentioned on these forums before that I had that moment where I managed to outmaneuver a smarter, more powerful opponent in PvP. I've spoilered it to keep things more brief, but you can go ahead and read it if you like.

Our party's sorcerer betrayed us and managed to hijack our airship. She managed to trick everyone to get off the ship except for me. Before taking over the ship she contained me in the aft section of the ship by placing several (five, I think?) Prismatic Spheres in the corridor that leads to the ship's bridge. It's worth noting that in this group, the sorcerer's player had earned a reputation as being clever and resourceful-- the real brains of this operation. I on the other hand, had a reputation as being not very useful or creative. The cleric's player was even busting up laughing at the number of saves I'd have to make to get even halfway up the corridor. I was about to start rolling saves when I hit on an idea, I turned to the DM and asked "What are the ship's walls made of?"
"Wood."
So I bypassed the Prismatic Spheres by hacking through the walls, beat up the sorcerer and brought the ship back for the rest of the party.

The TL:DR version, I managed to something I reasonably should not have with a little low cunning. So I was wanting to know if anyone else has pulled something like this off? Managed to defeat a superior opponent by lateral thinking or otherwise exploiting a detail in some creative way? I'd really like to hear what kind of stories y'all have!