PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Good pregen builds for brand-new, younger players

Mendicant
2017-06-28, 01:40 PM
So I'm about to introduce two cousins, ages 12 and 10 to TTRPGs during an upcoming family get together. I'm running Pathfinder for them and they'll be at a table with other family members who will be playing more support-oriented classes--bards, healbot/buffer clerics, stuff like that. Time will be a little constrained and I want to get them playing as quickly as possible, so I'm going to have a selection of pregens for them to pick from.

I want to give them stuff that's effective, pretty simple, and fun. Right now, I'm leaning towards mostly melee types along with an archer ranger and some simpler casters. Anyone have builds, classes, archetypes, etc. that they'd recommend?

Hackulator
2017-06-28, 01:50 PM
So I'm about to introduce two cousins, ages 12 and 10 to TTRPGs during an upcoming family get together. I'm running Pathfinder for them and they'll be at a table with other family members who will be playing more support-oriented classes--bards, healbot/buffer clerics, stuff like that. Time will be a little constrained and I want to get them playing as quickly as possible, so I'm going to have a selection of pregens for them to pick from.

I want to give them stuff that's effective, pretty simple, and fun. Right now, I'm leaning towards mostly melee types along with an archer ranger and some simpler casters. Anyone have builds, classes, archetypes, etc. that they'd recommend?

I'd create a sorcerer with a relatively straightforward spell list. No wizards or anything that has to pick spell lists for the day but a low level sorc can be both fun and mechanically simple. Basically just a blaster sorc with a little utility.

Waker
2017-06-28, 01:56 PM
On phone right now, so no builds. But if you do any mage types, go spontaneous arcane or psionics. Prepared with lots of spells can be overwhelming. Keep it simple.

Godskook
2017-06-28, 06:04 PM

Warblade, Swordsage, Crusader? Oh....Pathfinder, uhm....can someone confirm how much PoW classes play like ToB classes? Generally speaking, not 1:1 matches.

TheIronGolem
2017-06-28, 06:07 PM
Warblade, Swordsage, Crusader? Oh....Pathfinder, uhm....can someone confirm how much PoW classes play like ToB classes? Generally speaking, not 1:1 matches.
I don't think I'd recommend a PoW class to a TTRPG newbie. They have a lot of moving parts.

Godskook
2017-06-28, 06:15 PM
I don't think I'd recommend a PoW class to a TTRPG newbie. They have a lot of moving parts.

I'd *DEFINITELY* recommend ToB classes to newbies. Manuevers are approachable but abandonable, while being thematic and leading. I've never seen someone regret the choice. A brief review of Warlord suggests that its about on-par with what ToB leads me to expect.

legomaster00156
2017-06-28, 08:56 PM
I'm gonna have to go ditto on not giving PoW classes to newbies. I'd stick them with a class that lets them get adjusted to the mechanics of combat without overwhelming them with new terms.

NomGarret
2017-06-28, 10:52 PM
So at 10 and 12, what *have* they played? Kids are smarter than we often give them credit for, and a lot of card and video game elements translate quite well.

Mendicant
2017-06-28, 10:54 PM
They've played a good number and variety of board games, but I don't think they play a whole lot of video games or anything like MtG.

Godskook
2017-06-28, 11:14 PM
I'm gonna have to go ditto on not giving PoW classes to newbies. I'd stick them with a class that lets them get adjusted to the mechanics of combat without overwhelming them with new terms.

Most of the moving parts on Warlord are covered by the DM pre-generating the character. All the newbie has to do is say "I use Crushing Blow" or "I use Demoralizing Roar", based on which set of index cards the DM helps him draw at the start of combat.

I partially suggest these classes because using their abilities is better quantified compared to other melees. Raging is great and all, but it doesn't *do* anything, on its own. So the kid says "I rage", and nothing happens. Meh? A kid who hasn't associated cause/effect enough yet won't find that entertaining or useful or empowering. That same kid though? When he says "I use Crushing Blow", that statment is finalized with attack rolls and maybe rolling damage dice if he's successful. His rewards and cool powers are innately tied together, and from a game-design perspective, that's more enjoyable than passive buffs that just make you stronger(See League of Legends and its love of 3-hit passives and why Sona needed to not be a full-blooded aura-monkey with her new cuddle-zones).

Jormengand
2017-06-28, 11:18 PM
I'll go ahead and recommend an inquisitor. Why? Well...

> It's a spontaneous caster, so no spell preparation to deal with.
> It has mid-BAB with decent proficiencies, 6+int skill points, and 6-level spellcasting, allowing the player to choose whether to use swords, skills or spells.
> Also, inquisitors are always at least somewhat relevant, so no problems with bored kids complaining that their fighter has nothing useful to do in this social situation
> Monster Lore means that you don't have to feel bad about giving the players hints about monsters, because the inqusitor is more likely to be able to actually pass the knowledge check.
> Inquisitors always know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are (and who the lawful guys are and who the chaotic guys are).
> Teamwork feats inspire the player to work with allies, which will be a good habit to get into.

TheFamilarRaven
2017-06-28, 11:29 PM
A quick google revealed that this website (http://www.pathfindercommunity.net/iconic-characters) has stats for all of the iconic characters at levels 1, 7 and 12. Didn't read thru all that much, but they seem pretty subpar in terms of being effective

Were you going to start them off at level 1? If so here's something you might be able to use. I whipped it up in a couple minutes after I read your post.

Dolgrim is a defensively built level 1 dwarf fighter. He has the highest AC of any of these builds and can "tank" through the use of combat reflexes.

DOLGRIM STONEAXE
male LN Dwarf Fighter, Level 1, Init 3, HP 13/13, Speed 20ft
AC 21, Touch 14, Flat-footed 17, CMD 17, Fort 5, Ref 3, Will 0, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 1
Dwarven Waraxe +4 (1d10+3, x3)
Shortbow (20) +4 (1d6, x3)
Scalemail and Heavy Wooden Shield (+5 Armor, +2 shield +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8

FEATS
1st: Dodge, Fighter: Combat Reflexes

SKILLS
K. Dungeoneering +4, Survival +4

RACIAL TRAITS

Defensive Training: Dwarves gain a +4 dodge bonus to AC against monsters of the giant subtype.

Hardy: Dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities
Stability: Dwarves gain a +4 racial bonus to their Combat Maneuver Defense when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.

Greed: Dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks made to determine the price of non-magical goods that contain precious metals or gemstones.

Stonecunning: Dwarves gain a +2 bonus on Perception checks to notice unusual stonework, such as traps and hidden doors located in stone walls or floors. They receive a check to notice such features whenever they pass within 10 feet of them, whether or not they are actively looking.

Darkvision: Dwarves can see perfectly in the dark up to 60 feet.

Hatred: Dwarves gain a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against humanoid creatures of the orc and goblinoid subtypes because of their special training against these hated foes.

Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves are proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word “dwarven” in its name as a martial weapon.

Favored CLass Bonus: +1 HP/level

I used 20 point buy for the build. I might be able to come up with more but I didn't want to put in the time if this is not what you're looking for...

Elkad
2017-06-28, 11:46 PM
Not exactly sure on the differences between PoW and ToB as far as maneuver recovery.

But a pregen Warblade is dead simple for a newbie. Pick their maneuvers readied for them. Print out the cards.
"You can play a maneuver card on your turn. It goes in your discard pile. If you take a turn without playing a card, you get all your discards back."

Then just pick cards for fun and simplicity vs complicated stuff like White Raven Tactics.

Mendicant
2017-06-29, 09:57 AM
I'll go ahead and recommend an inquisitor. Why? Well...

> It's a spontaneous caster, so no spell preparation to deal with.
> It has mid-BAB with decent proficiencies, 6+int skill points, and 6-level spellcasting, allowing the player to choose whether to use swords, skills or spells.
> Also, inquisitors are always at least somewhat relevant, so no problems with bored kids complaining that their fighter has nothing useful to do in this social situation
> Monster Lore means that you don't have to feel bad about giving the players hints about monsters, because the inqusitor is more likely to be able to actually pass the knowledge check.
> Inquisitors always know who the good guys are and who the bad guys are (and who the lawful guys are and who the chaotic guys are).
> Teamwork feats inspire the player to work with allies, which will be a good habit to get into.

You're right, this is a really good idea. The only thing I'd be leery of is that their "go fishing for a teamwork feats" ability seems like it'd be fiddly for someone who just learned what feats are, but that doesn't come online until 3rd level anyway. If he takes this character that far he's probably ready to start playing with some of the complexity.

Not exactly sure on the differences between PoW and ToB as far as maneuver recovery.

But a pregen Warblade is dead simple for a newbie. Pick their maneuvers readied for them. Print out the cards.
"You can play a maneuver card on your turn. It goes in your discard pile. If you take a turn without playing a card, you get all your discards back."

Then just pick cards for fun and simplicity vs complicated stuff like White Raven Tactics.

I really like this idea, but I'm not super familiar with ToB/PoW. Suggestions for maneuvers?

Also: Does anyone have a suggestion for simple character sheets? The sheets I've seen are nice when I'm trying to do all the arithmetic for a complex character, but they're pretty busy.

RoboEmperor
2017-06-30, 12:17 AM
20 fighter or blaster sorcerer. Let them rest spam. Campaign should be short and fun.

Next game start restricting rest and explain BFC to them. Also short and fun.

They should have decent system mastery now.

Fizban
2017-06-30, 04:20 AM
I like the builds in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?473695-3-5-Core-Iconics-at-1st-level) thread. A set of the core classes at 1st level set up to demonstrate a bunch of rules tendencies and combos right from the beginning.

If you just throw a pile of pregens at them, tell them to pick, and then take off running, I wouldn't expect them to actually learn anything. There's a reason the starter sets have always started at 1st level with the core four.