PDA

View Full Version : Van Helsing's Class

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-28, 03:24 PM
What class would you put Helsing into? Cleric? Fighter? Paladin? Ranger? I feel like a case could be made for any of those...

Dudewithknives
2017-06-28, 03:27 PM
Which version of Van Helsing, there have been many.

Specter
2017-06-28, 03:31 PM
I'd go with Monster Hunter Fighter/Monster Hunter Ranger.

Arkhios
2017-06-28, 03:31 PM
See if my signature can offer a valid option: Inquisitor Rogue.

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-06-28, 03:39 PM
Which version of Van Helsing, there have been many.

Which ever one you like best

GlenSmash!
2017-06-28, 03:41 PM
I once envisioned a Van Helsing type character as a Dex Based, Crossbow weilding, Vengeance Paladin using Smite Spells that weren't limited to Melee.

Specter
2017-06-28, 03:42 PM
@Arkhios: why didn't you just make that judgement feature a once-per-short-rest feature, instead of a Channel Divinity?

Dudewithknives
2017-06-28, 03:43 PM
Which ever one you like best

Gabriel Van Helsing, Hugh Jackman version would be Monster Hunter Fighter.

Abraham Van Helsing from Dracula, Lore Wizard.

GlenSmash!
2017-06-28, 03:50 PM
Gabriel Van Helsing, Hugh Jackman version would be Monster Hunter Fighter.

Abraham Van Helsing from Dracula, Lore Wizard.

Abraham Van Helsing new a lot of stuff, but I'm not sure Lore Wizard is the best fit. I almost see more Mastermind Rogue, as he primarily helped, Harker, Quincy, and the other guy who's name I'm forgetting hunt down Dracula.

Willie the Duck
2017-06-28, 04:06 PM
Well, the cleric class was invented for the purpose of playing a vampire hunter, so that's one argument for it. However, 43 years on, I think all the classes would work pretty well for that goal.

Llama513
2017-06-28, 04:12 PM
I also have a vampire hunter in my inquisitor, but for van hellsing I don't think it works, what does jump to mind is Matt Mercers Bloodhunter,
or a paladin fighter hybrid

Temperjoke
2017-06-28, 04:20 PM
You might want to consider Rudolph Van Richten from the Curse of Strahd campaign, who was basically Van Helsing for D&D. For a class, I'd consider using a Knowledge Cleric as a base, as the classic Van Helsing is a professor with a lot of esoteric education, and while he wasn't opposed to physically struggling against Dracula, he wasn't a trained combatant. Now if you're going with a more contemporary view of Van Helsing, you might want to consider a Open Hand Monk/Knowledge Cleric combo. He'll still be able to draw on spells and such, but he'll be more robust and agile in fighting, with the stats being complimentary.

Hackulator
2017-06-28, 04:33 PM
Almost no versions of Van Helsing have any sort of clearly magical powers. I'd probably have to go rogue or fighter of some type.

Kane0
2017-06-28, 06:32 PM
I'd vote monster hunter (UA).

Falcon X
2017-06-28, 07:00 PM
Monster Hunter fighter. It's practically in the description and I have a friend playing one right now to great Van Helsing effect.

Tweak with feats or level dip if you feel necessary.

Talionis
2017-06-28, 10:07 PM
I think Ranger works well with favored enemy. Most Ranger spells could be thought of much like maneuvers from 3.5 edition. Favored Enemy - Undead works really well for knowledge boosts.

Zonugal
2017-06-28, 10:52 PM
I think Ranger works well with favored enemy. Most Ranger spells could be thought of much like maneuvers from 3.5 edition. Favored Enemy - Undead works really well for knowledge boosts.

Why not just use the Spell-less Ranger variant from Unearthed Arcana?

Basement Cat
2017-06-28, 11:30 PM
For the Hugh Jackman Van Helsing I'd say a homebrewed Aasimar paladin/ranger with no real magical abilities but maxed out (or higher) physical stats.

Malifice
2017-06-28, 11:44 PM
Inquisitive Rogue/ Slayer Ranger (favored enemies undead and fiends).

Very clearly so.

In fact, they specifically made these classes for Gothic Heroes supplement as a nod to his Ravenloft counterpart.

Take crossbow master feat, pack a pistol crossbow, and you're set. Sneak attack is you nailing those suckers in the heart.

Witch hunter.

Zejety
2017-06-29, 12:18 AM
Almost no versions of Van Helsing have any sort of clearly magical powers. I'd probably have to go rogue or fighter of some type.

The Van Hellsing in Bram Stoker's Dracula is a ritual caster at the very least, creating a circle of protection from evil on at least one occasion.
Considering all of his religious knowledge, I think making him a cleric in a more fantastic setting is acceptable.

SaurOps
2017-06-29, 12:32 AM
The Van Hellsing in Bram Stoker's Dracula is a ritual caster at the very least, creating a circle of protection from evil on at least one occasion.
Considering all of his religious knowledge, I think making him a cleric in a more fantastic setting is acceptable.

I've heard that the cleric class itself was originally meant to be something cut from the cloth of Van Helsing as a literary character.

Talyn
2017-06-29, 02:56 PM
As mentioned above, the lack of obvious magical effects in the original book Van Helsing makes D&D a lousy fit, but I quite like the Mastermind Rogue with the Ritual Caster feat.

SharkForce
2017-06-29, 04:54 PM

i was actually going to suggest a rogue/fighter multiclass.

i don't think ranger fits. you don't need to be a ranger to hunt something or hate something, and favoured enemy is really the only non-generic thing that particularly fits from ranger.

Arkhios
2017-06-29, 05:25 PM
@Arkhios: why didn't you just make that judgement feature a once-per-short-rest feature, instead of a Channel Divinity?

It used to be "just a 1/sr", but it felt appropriate to change it to Channel Divinity due to their access to clerical magic and strong ties to a deity of choice.

Talionis
2017-06-29, 09:50 PM
Why not just use the Spell-less Ranger variant from Unearthed Arcana?
I like a lot of the spells and they work well with archery. Hunters Mark is a great spell. So are the Cordon of Arrows type spells. They tend to feel less magical to me. At the same time I like resource management.