PDA

View Full Version : Blink granting advantage...

Kyoami
2017-06-28, 04:14 PM
I can't find an answer to this anywhere. Maybe I'm just missing it but...

When you cast Blink and you roll an 11+ at the end of your turn, do you get advantage on your first attack when you reappear at the beginning of you next turn? It seems clear that you would but I can't find any confirmation on it. Thanks in advance for any insight on this!

Xethik
2017-06-28, 04:24 PM
I can't find an answer to this anywhere. Maybe I'm just missing it but...

When you cast Blink and you roll an 11+ at the end of your turn, do you get advantage on your first attack when you reappear at the beginning of you next turn? It seems clear that you would but I can't find any confirmation on it. Thanks in advance for any insight on this!
Emphasis mine.

Why does it seem clear to you? Not objecting, but just curious why you believe it would.

coolAlias
2017-06-28, 04:27 PM
Was your character able to Hide while in the Ethereal plane?

Is your character unseen when they make their attack?

Answering 'yes' to either of those questions would be a condition which would grant advantage, but neither is true simply as a result of the blink spell.

Lombra
2017-06-28, 04:34 PM
I think you are confusing blink with the shadow monk's shadow step.

Arcangel4774
2017-06-28, 04:39 PM
I'd rule that you must make a stealth (dexterity) check coming out of blink at the start of the round, contested by their wisdom (perception) rolled with advantage if they aren't distracted.

While the spell itself doesn't grant advantage, it could be argued that you are hidden in the ethereal plan and are coming out of hiding when reentering the physical.

Kyoami
2017-06-28, 04:41 PM
Emphasis mine.

Why does it seem clear to you? Not objecting, but just curious why you believe it would.

It seemed clear because while in the ethereal plane you are unseen. So I could have weapon at the ready and fire as soon as I came back. I imagined it to work as it would coming out of an invisibility spell (but more undetectable) but I suppose, as coolAlias pointed out, I wouldn't technically be unseen while I pulled the trigger even though it would only be an instant.

coolAlias
2017-06-28, 04:55 PM
Spell effects are strictly defined - if it doesn't explicitly say that you gain advantage, then you don't gain advantage as a result of the spell. So even though it may seem like you should gain advantage for being unseen, RAW you do not.

If you need a narrative reason, you as the caster probably do not know at what exact point in time you will blink back from the Ethereal, so you will need a moment to recognize that fact and then pull the trigger - this could be enough time for the defender to take notice and potentially defend against your attack.