PDA

View Full Version : Any feats or spells....

enderrocksonall
2007-08-06, 02:24 AM
Does anyone know of any feats or spells, but not items, that allow you to use spells with a range of personal on others?

Ikkitosen
2007-08-06, 02:35 AM
Not in the way you're hoping I don't think. YOu could technically use the feat Arcane Familiar to get personal range spells onto said familiar :smalltongue:

Glyphic
2007-08-06, 02:42 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm

cupkeyk
2007-08-06, 02:46 AM
We have a workaround for this:

Craft Contingent Spell lets you place a spell on a creature that will trigger when the a condition is met. I place Tenser's Tranformation on the Monk and he says a word trigger and he has just cast Tenser's Transformation on himself.

Scribe Rune from PGtF does something similar but is limited to divine spells, not bad since some of the most powerful, personal only buffs are divine.

The Incantatrix has an ability of moving an effect from one creature to another. The Cleric cast Divine Metacheese on himself, then the Incantatrix moves it to the monk (because the monk needs all the buffs he can get, right?)

enderrocksonall
2007-08-06, 03:26 AM
We have a workaround for this:

Craft Contingent Spell lets you place a spell on a creature that will trigger when the a condition is met. I place Tenser's Tranformation on the Monk and he says a word trigger and he has just cast Tenser's Transformation on himself.

Scribe Rune from PGtF does something similar but is limited to divine spells, not bad since some of the most powerful, personal only buffs are divine.

The Incantatrix has an ability of moving an effect from one creature to another. The Cleric cast Divine Metacheese on himself, then the Incantatrix moves it to the monk (because the monk needs all the buffs he can get, right?)

I'm trying to make a warlock trickster. I want to be able to cast the 24-hour warlock invisibility invocation on the fighter's prized weapon just for the giggles of it.

TheDarkOne
2007-08-06, 03:37 AM
There's an item that lets you share personal range spells with the person waring the twin of the item, but the duration is halved. It's in the dmgII I think.

lord_khaine
2007-08-06, 03:53 AM
thats not possible, you cant target a item with the invisibility spell.

Skjaldbakka
2007-08-06, 04:01 AM
Actually, objects are valid targets for the Invisibility spell. As for the warlock invocation, I can't think of any way to make that work (aside from having it on your person while invisible).

You could get a scroll of invisibilty and a scroll of permanency. I believe that invisibility can be permanenced on objects, and Warlocks can take 10 on UMD after a certain level.

Kurald Galain
2007-08-06, 06:58 AM
Get the Reach Spell feat and convince your DM to use it with this?

There's generally a balance reason why spells are self-only.

Irreverent Fool
2007-08-06, 09:43 AM
thats not possible, you cant target a item with the invisibility spell.

Since when?

Ulzgoroth
2007-08-06, 10:50 AM
This is not a quest you want to succeed on. A number of invocations are balanced by the fact that only the warlock can benefit from them...and if you can use it on a sword, you can use it on other people.

Pulling this off would imply being able to make the whole party invisible and flying for free. And that's without bringing in any of the more powerful invocations.

enderrocksonall
2007-08-06, 03:52 PM
This is not a quest you want to succeed on. A number of invocations are balanced by the fact that only the warlock can benefit from them...and if you can use it on a sword, you can use it on other people.

Pulling this off would imply being able to make the whole party invisible and flying for free. And that's without bringing in any of the more powerful invocations.

I know, I wanted the character to be a prankster who kinda keeps all his powers a secret. So he'll run around invisible all the time and turn everyone's stuff invisible, but when they ask him why the whole party cant be invisible all the time he'll get all butt-hurt and start whining about how that would drain him of his powers for the day and he would be hopelessly fatigued.

Kind of a jerk, but I like being able to say, "hey, you're character doesn't know game mechanics!! You need a sense motive check to be able to guess that I'm lying!!"

cupkeyk
2007-08-06, 07:08 PM
intra-party asshattery is never recommended. It's a sign that you've been playing for less than a couple of years. IMO, you are wasting the other players time with juvenalia when the plot could be progressing.

Damionte
2007-08-06, 09:13 PM
It's not that you can't target items with invisibility. You can't target others items with a Warlocks invisibility. Since it's range, personal.

Also halfing the duration wouldn't be a problem for a warlock since the duration on thier self only spells are 24 hours.

I'm pretty sure the item in question wouldnt' work for you either.

It let's you cast self only spells and share them.

Warlocke invocation are not spells. They're spell like abilities and have thier own rules. Items that work with spells dont' nessesarily work with spell liek abilities and vice versa. They'll usually say so in thier discription if they work with both.

I'm afraid there's no way to do what you want to do the way you want to do it within the rules.

You'll have to do it a different way and use a wand of invisibility on your friends sword. Your a warlocke, Use Magic Device is one of your class features.

enderrocksonall
2007-08-07, 01:38 AM
intra-party asshattery is never recommended. It's a sign that you've been playing for less than a couple of years. IMO, you are wasting the other players time with juvenalia when the plot could be progressing.

This post seems to be a sign that youdon't have quite as much fun at you're games as we do. Actually, I have been playing since 2nd edition.

cupkeyk
2007-08-07, 03:41 AM
I have been playing since the 1st ed box set, I kill people who do intra-party asshattery. And I play rogues too.

enderrocksonall
2007-08-07, 04:16 AM
I have been playing since the 1st ed box set, I kill people who do intra-party asshattery. And I play rogues too.

teehee! I love the word asshattery!!

cupkeyk
2007-08-07, 04:57 AM
I wish i can claim it or even at least quote where it came from but the term has been around for quite some time. Asshat is basically an assh*le so big that you can fit your head in it. Asshattery the act of being an asshat. LOLz

tarbrush
2007-08-07, 06:03 AM
Have a look at Ocular Spell from Lords of Madness. The premier method for screwing around with persistent spells. (although I don't have it in front of me right now, so I can't say for sure that it'd work)

And cover our eyes when you look at Beholder Mage.

MrNexx
2007-08-07, 10:26 AM
I have been playing since the 1st ed box set, I kill people who do intra-party shenanigans. And I play rogues too.

Hmmm... wouldn't killing them qualify as intra-party shenanigans?

bosssmiley
2007-08-07, 11:49 AM
Does anyone know of any feats or spells, but not items, that allow you to use spells with a range of personal on others?

Magic jar :smallwink: