PDA

View Full Version : White Raven Dvati?

SangoProduction
2017-06-29, 02:59 AM
So, Dvati are weird. They are 2 characters with the same character sheet (save for HP, for which the HD is split between them, and bonuses are given to both), with a few options for transferring effects from one to the other.

So, the White Raven discipline is focused on granting allies bonuses and what not, I was thinking of the unique ways that it would interact with Dvati....admittedly, because I tried and failed to make something resembling the concept of the No Game, No Life main character(s) [ ].

To the results!

In almost all cases, you count as an ally, regardless, so normally this doesn't matter at all. I don't believe even Flanking Maneuver would result in an infinite loop except by a weird reading that basically extends the bonus attacks clause if you target your other self with it, which would be stretching it, by a huge leap.

Tactics of Wolf wouldn't matter either, as it's granting you the bonus twice...but it's still the same source.

There's a fun bit with War Master's Charge, where you both can charge as an immediate action (since it doesn't specify "other") and also get 2 normal charges, due to the language, all while expending only one full round action (and both of your immediate actions), which means you could potentially charge 5 times in the same round, which is funny to think about. Sure, you'd have trouble finding that free action movement so you can charge the same person multiple times, but still!

-Also, the RAI is fairly clear that it does mean "other allies" not merely "allies," and clearly does not intend "you" to extend to anyone but the one performing the maneuver. But who cares, this is RAW! (Also, it's a level 9 maneuver. It deserves a bit of cheese.)

Then there's the White Raven Tactics, who is the easily the most (in)famous maneuver of the school. Interestingly enough, it only says "ally" not "other ally" so technically you don't even need to be a Dvati to pull it off. But, of course, Dvati get to have double the actions. Basically, infinitely loop your turn. So you multiply your turns by how much you beat the next person's initiative.

-This would never fly except at a D2 Crusader style table, but still. Even homebrewing "other ally" in, Dvati still get to pull it off, unless strictly just going "No."

So, even ignoring that there just straight up aren't many maneuvers at all, there aren't many interactions that are at all interesting, and they are purely down to poor use of terms.

Kaleph
2017-06-29, 04:04 AM
Question regarding the White raven tactics - not sure if I've got you correctly. I think you stack up multiple uses of this maneuver, thus getting multiple rounds; you also get the same amount of swift actions, so you go on repeating the trick again and again. If you have sufficiently high initiative, that's quite a number of rounds for free. But this assumes that you have always this maneuver available. How do you do it?

Darrin
2017-06-29, 06:54 AM
How exactly you parcel out your readied maneuvers with Dvati twins still remains something of an open question. Do they have a single "pool" of maneuvers to choose from, or does each Dvati get to ready their own maneuvers?

Ellrin
2017-06-29, 11:11 AM
How exactly you parcel out your readied maneuvers with Dvati twins still remains something of an open question. Do they have a single "pool" of maneuvers to choose from, or does each Dvati get to ready their own maneuvers?

My assumption would be that it works roughly similarly for maneuvers as it does for spells--ie, just as a spellcasting dvati pair shares spell slots, so too do initiating dvati twins share their pool of maneuvers. Since there's no concentration involved for initiating, I'd say they can both act freely in a round where one initiates a maneuver. In fact, since most effects that affect one don't automatically affect the other, I'd say they could even be in different stances, though this also means they don't share the effects of boosts.

SangoProduction
2017-06-29, 12:59 PM
Question regarding the White raven tactics - not sure if I've got you correctly. I think you stack up multiple uses of this maneuver, thus getting multiple rounds; you also get the same amount of swift actions, so you go on repeating the trick again and again. If you have sufficiently high initiative, that's quite a number of rounds for free. But this assumes that you have always this maneuver available. How do you do it?

Having fewer maneuvers available than you can ready is an often used method of ensuring you always have your desired maneuvers.

Kaje
2017-06-29, 02:39 PM
Having fewer maneuvers available than you can ready is an often used method of ensuring you always have your desired maneuvers.

For details, google "idiot crusader."

Kaleph
2017-06-30, 01:58 AM

Thank you, it's a new trick for me.