PDA

View Full Version : Is there any reason to take quicken spell?

molten_dragon
2017-06-29, 06:02 AM
I'm planning out my character for a mythic pathfinder game. He'll be an arcanist with the archmage mythic path, and I intend to use some of the metamagic cost reducers mythic offers to make use of a lot of metamagic feats.

My question is, since I'll have Wild Arcana (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/mythic-heroes/mythic-paths-paizo-inc/archmage/), is there really any reason to take Quicken spell?

Normally I'd never consider leaving it out, but I'm a little feat starved for the character and in this case I'll already have a much better way to get spells as a swift action.

Shadowquad
2017-06-29, 09:04 AM
Wild Arcana has been errata'd, on the very page you link in your original message:

Wild Arcana (Su): As a standard action, you can expend one use of mythic power to cast any one arcane spell without expending a prepared spell or spell slot. The spell must be on one of your arcane class spell lists, must be of a level that you can cast with that arcane spellcasting class, and must have a casting time of “1 standard action” (or less). You don’t need to have the spell prepared, nor does it need to be on your list of spells known. When casting a spell in this way, you treat your caster level as 2 levels higher for the purpose of any effect dependent on level. You can apply any metamagic feats you know to this spell, but its total adjusted level can’t be greater than that of the highest-level arcane spell you can cast from that spellcasting class.

If your DM uses the non-errata'd version, then indeed Quicken Spell can be skipped

molten_dragon
2017-06-29, 11:08 AM
Wild Arcana has been errata'd, on the very page you link in your original message:

If your DM uses the non-errata'd version, then indeed Quicken Spell can be skipped

Didn't really pay any attention to the errata, so I missed that. I'll have to discuss with my DM.

Shadowquad
2017-06-29, 12:37 PM
I strongly encourage your DM to use the errata ; the original version is nuts, it allows you to cast any spell on your list as a swift action, regardless of the original casting time ! Say hello to in-combat Geas/Quest and Major Creation for fun and profit !

Frosty
2017-06-29, 02:08 PM
Even as a standard action, Wild Arcana is by far the most broken thing in Mythic. You don't need more power. Mythic = you win.

Barstro
2017-06-29, 02:48 PM
I am currently in a Mythic adventure.

As a Sorcerer (who does not attack)
1) My use of Wild Arcana is usually to solve problems or prevent TKP (so, it's rather rare)
2) I have many spell slots still available at the end of the day.
3) The above has certainly increased since Tier 3.
4) All those extra slots can certainly be used to cast another spell a round (Nothing like summoning a few monsters (speedy summons) and casting Mythic Haste)

Sure, Quicken is worth it.

BUT; my character is also a crafter and crafting a Quicken Rod is not too time consuming if you optimize for that.

Final conclusions
1) Quicken is great to have. But maybe a rod or two would be enough.
2) Wild Arcana can be abused very easily.

Psyren
2017-06-30, 09:19 AM
Even as a standard action, Wild Arcana is by far the most broken thing in Mythic. You don't need more power. Mythic = you win.

It's not that broken honestly (especially for Mythic). It's just "cast a spell that's on your list but that you don't know, up to your max spell level (including any metamagic) and that spell gets a CL boost." Most of the time it's going to be no stronger than a Limited Wish, and used for the same purpose - oh-crap-we-need-this-spell-but-nobody-knows-it! Most importantly of all is that it costs Mythic Power, and the only way to get more of that is the GM, so people are not going to be using this until they absolutely need to.

Shadowquad
2017-06-30, 09:53 AM
Most importantly of all is that it costs Mythic Power, and the only way to get more of that is the GM, so people are not going to be using this until they absolutely need to.

I disagree with that, there are several ways to regain Mythic Power besides GM fiat. For starters, you gain 3+2*your tier points every 24 hours. And then there are several abilities that let you restore your daily uses. For instance, Eldritch Reciprocation with the correct setup allows you to refill your Mythic Power between encounters.

Quertus
2017-06-30, 10:17 AM
I strongly encourage your DM to use the errata ; the original version is nuts, it allows you to cast any spell on your list as a swift action, regardless of the original casting time ! Say hello to in-combat Geas/Quest and Major Creation for fun and profit !

And how is this unbalanced, exactly?

Barstro
2017-06-30, 10:48 AM
(regarding pre-errata spell)

While all Mythic is powerful, I fail to think that anything would be as powerful as the ability to cast an extra (Tier)*(2)+3 spells per day. Said spells being ANY from your list (not just spells known) and those being cast as quicken, despite the original casting time.

Up to 23 (could be more) extra spells is already powerful.
Those spells being (pretty much) ANY spell at all is worse (better?)
Those spells all being level 9?
Then those same spells getting a free +4 metamagic? Ludicrous.

On top of that, Shadowquad is correct about pretty easy ways to get Mythic Points back.

Even getting rid of the "quicken" side of things, it is stronger than anything else I have read on Mythic. (fine, it was skimming most things. But still)

Shadowquad
2017-06-30, 11:52 AM

Well... Geas-Quest is a no-save open-ended compulsion... Anything not immune to mind affecting is your slave forever, without a save. That alone seems strong to me.
Any summoning spells cast as a swift action is a massive action economy swing in your favor.
Mark of Justice is a no-save Bestow Curse.
False Belief is another low-level no-save open-ended compulsion...

Really, there are many spells that are balanced because of their casting time.

Barstro
2017-06-30, 12:40 PM
Any summoning spells cast as a swift action is a massive action economy swing in your favor.

Really, there are many spells that are balanced because of their casting time.

Not the best example. "Speedy Summons" and a Mythic Point still makes that a swift action. :smallamused: