PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Spear Master

Haydensan
2017-06-29, 10:47 AM
In a game I'm about to play in I've decided on the spear being my weapon of choice using the spear mastery feat on a paladin.

This got me thinking about the feat as it has some unique features such as the "mark-like" AoO.

Was wondering what was possible and what us playgrounders could come up with to optimise a build for spear use.

Something that would work at early-mid levels and then whats the most you could get out of it nearing the end levels?

Including all UA and published material

Easy_Lee
2017-06-29, 11:18 AM
For quick reference, spear mastery gives +1 to hit, increases damage die from D6/D8 to D8/D10, allows you to spend a bonus action to ready against a target at least 20' away and do a reaction attack (not opportunity) + one weapon die if that target moves into your reach, and also allows you to spend a bonus action to gain reach with the spear for this turn.

As a feat, this is basically +1 with the weapon and two bonus action opportunities. That's pretty good if you choose to use a spear.

Your goal is to get opponents to come at you. One way to do that is the suggestion spell. Will you have a suggestion user in your party? If so, they should be able to suggest for opponents to attack you head-on, thinking to themselves that you're no threat.

You can pick up suggestion, along with some other useful features, with the tried and tested Paladin / Sorcerer MC. Then you can cast suggestion on a foe and ready your spear in the same action. That's a good way to mess up opponents' positioning and deal damage at the same time. It's also a good way to deal with pesky archers who suddenly have a delusion that they can aim better from directly in front of you.

Dudewithknives
2017-06-29, 11:29 AM
I played a dedicated spear user from level 1 to 16, it is remarkable versatile

There are a few things to check on first, and a few issues.

1. Ask your DM is a spear can qualify for Pole Arm Master feat. It should considering it is exactly the same as a quarterstaff but can be thrown, and it is the most common example of a polearm in history.

If the DM OKs thay you are in MUCH better shape.

2. If you get more than one attack, especially if you get more than 2, the rules of 5e do not really help out someone throwing their weapon. You only get to draw 1 per turn, unless you take the 2 weapon fighting feat, which I just can't see someone using a spear dual wielding. So if you need to make ranged attacks you need multiple spears, and making more than 2 attacks every other turn is hard.

Ex. Start with spear in hand, throw it, draw another and throw it. Now you end up unarmed, and next round you would have to draw another spear to begin with so now you only can throw 1. Not horrible for people with 2 attacks, but I was a fighter, it caused issues at 10+.

3. Spear mastery is a great feat, but if you can take PAM, which any reasonable DM should allow, you have conflicting feat and bonus actions.

Ex. Both feats give you a reaction attack if the enemy enters your threat range, but SM requires you to pick a target ahead of time and use a bonus action to set it up, but does some bonus damage, while PAM only uses a reaction. PAM has a bonus action attack as well.

On a paladin you are going to be kind of feat starved. Paladins need good STR, CHA and at least ok CON. Between the stats and at least 2 good spear feats, you are going to have to be very picky or do a little multiclassing. Might consider going with 1 or maybe even 2 levels of hexblade warlock so you could be more dex based but you still would need a 13 str for the multiclass and either a 14 dex or 15 str for medium or heavy armor, so it is not a HUGE help but it does help some. If you are mountain dwarf if is a little easier because they do not have to have the str for armor.

Arcangel4774
2017-06-29, 12:54 PM
You can also use your bonus action to grant reach, which is the only to do so (without disadvantage) for small races without using the whip

Flashy
2017-06-29, 01:39 PM
Your goal is to get opponents to come at you. One way to do that is the suggestion spell. Will you have a suggestion user in your party? If so, they should be able to suggest for opponents to attack you head-on, thinking to themselves that you're no threat.

You can pick up suggestion, along with some other useful features, with the tried and tested Paladin / Sorcerer MC. Then you can cast suggestion on a foe and ready your spear in the same action.

As long as you're careful with your positioning then Command ("Charge!") should work well for this too!

dejarnjc
2017-06-29, 01:39 PM
In a game I'm about to play in I've decided on the spear being my weapon of choice using the spear mastery feat on a paladin.

This got me thinking about the feat as it has some unique features such as the "mark-like" AoO.

Was wondering what was possible and what us playgrounders could come up with to optimise a build for spear use.

Something that would work at early-mid levels and then whats the most you could get out of it nearing the end levels?

Including all UA and published material

Hmm off the top of my head, one good build would be a Battlemaster Fighter.

For the battlemaster, max out STR and pick up the mobile feat. Attack on your turn and use Goading Attack, then retreat 20 feet and force them the enemy to approach you again and take the reaction attack as well.

You could do something similar with a Paladin/Cleric and compelled duel but it's not quite as potent IMO and a Paladin tends to be MAD anyway.

Findulidas
2017-06-29, 01:46 PM
1. Ask your DM is a spear can qualify for Pole Arm Master feat. It should considering it is exactly the same as a quarterstaff but can be thrown, and it is the most common example of a polearm in history.

If the DM OKs thay you are in MUCH better shape.

It doesnt make any sense to me, but its not a polearm weapon. Really the polearm feat should be worse and should be more restrictive in my opinion. I if your DM agree to it then hes that nice guy/girl/wolfsona/reptilian/sentient AI, but if not then its just a regular DM. I wouldnt allow it because you already picked a spear mastery feat.

Drackolus
2017-06-29, 02:04 PM
It doesnt make any sense to me, but its not a polearm weapon. Really the polearm feat should be worse and should be more restrictive in my opinion. I if your DM agree to it then hes that nice guy/girl/wolfsona/reptilian/sentient AI, but if not then its just a regular DM. I wouldnt allow it because you already picked a spear mastery feat.

+1. Though, I would allow it if the weapon feats were changed to +1 str or dex instead of attack rolls, so as to maintain bounded accuracy. For the record, I also don't like any sort of bonus to attack or ac on magic weapons and armor, since they just boringly, passively break the game.

LordVonDerp
2017-06-30, 05:11 AM
2. If you get more than one attack, especially if you get more than 2, the rules of 5e do not really help out someone throwing their weapon. You only get to draw 1 per turn, unless you take the 2 weapon fighting feat, which I just can't see someone using a spear dual wielding. So if you need to make ranged attacks you need multiple spears, and making more than 2 attacks every other turn is hard.

Ex. Start with spear in hand, throw it, draw another and throw it. Now you end up unarmed, and next round you would have to draw another spear to begin with so now you only can throw 1. Not horrible for people with 2 attacks, but I was a fighter, it caused issues at 10+.

Though this can easily be worked around.