PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Building a Cleric/Archivist

NoAnonimo
2017-06-29, 12:33 PM
Hi there!

So, I'm currently playing a ECL 6 Stronghearth Halfling all-support-themed Cleric/Archivist with a group of friends (Cloistered Cleric 1/Archivist 5), and I'm kind of stuck on how to make it work better.

Character info:

Feats:
-Extra Turning (Via Undeath Domain).
-Extend Spell (Via Planning Domain).
-Persist Spell (Stronghearth Halfling).
-Divine Metamagic (Persist) (1st Lvl).
-Scribe Scroll (Archivist 1).
-2 extra feat slot (3rd and 6th level).
-9 turning atempts

Access to all 1st level cleric spell
Can cast four 2nd level spell: Blindess/Deafness, Elation, Invisibility, Tyche's Touch
Can cast Summon Monster III and Conviction, Mass as 3rd level spell.

Also, I may be able to cast the 2nd and 3rd level spell of both domains (depends on rules interpretation).

Party Info (For spell learning)
-two 7th level Druids
-6th level Cleric.

Questions:
My GM offered the chance of taking divine magician ACF, should I take it? (I would not take Knowledge Domain then)
Would it be wise to take a PRC that gives aditional domains? Or should I focus on getting one that gives more spells? (I dont live Arc6 a lot, as I don't usually spend all Dark Knowlege daily uses). If so, what Prc would you recommend?
Also, what feat should I take now? Is another Extra Turning a good option? Or should I focus on getting another DMM fueling option? (Maybe by taking a Prc, I wouldn't mind as long as it progress my CL)
What Items would you advice me to buy?

Thank you all, and sorry if I made spelling mistakes, English is not my mother language :smallredface:

NoAnonimo
2017-06-29, 04:46 PM
Is Death Delver a good PRC to take?
(So you could Rebuke AND Turn undeads, both of wich fuels DDM)

You would lose a caster level, tho

Gildedragon
2017-06-29, 08:17 PM
I'd say: swap Kn domain for Kn Dev. With Archivist you have access to almost any spell you want.
Heck you HAVE access to all the divine lists AND to Sorc-Wizard via the AnySpell line of spells
AND to a hefty chunk of the bard list via Divine Bard and Olidammara's bard spell

Grod_The_Giant
2017-06-29, 08:51 PM
So, uh, I'm not sure an Archivist in a group with a Cleric and a Druid is the best bet. There's going to be a massive amount of overlap. Maybe a Wizard would be better?

My GM offered the chance of taking divine magician ACF, should I take it? (I would not take Knowledge Domain then)
No; you're mostly just using the Cleric levels for turning bonuses, so anything pumping up the spells might as well be ignored.

Would it be wise to take a PRC that gives aditional domains? Or should I focus on getting one that gives more spells? (I dont live Arc6 a lot, as I don't usually spend all Dark Knowlege daily uses). If so, what Prc would you recommend?
Nah; Archivist can scribe any divine spell they want anyway.

What Items would you advice me to buy?
Grab a Nightstick and a Reliquary Holy Symbol-- even without stacking cheese, that's a cheap and easy chunk of turn attempts.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-06-29, 09:49 PM
Get a Nightstick (LM) and a Reliquary Holy Symbol (MIC), as Grod_The_Giant suggested, for six more Turn Undead uses per day. That gives you a total of 15, so you can DMM: Persist two spells every day. Those two spells should be Mass Lesser Vigor (3rd, SC) and Magic Circle Against Evil, those will significantly buff your whole party. This is an archived list of every divine spell in the game, at the lowest level it's available (http://secretsofthearchmages.net/Threads/Wotc/2015/PreviousEditionCharacterOptimization/1023251.htm).

Consider spending your two remaining feats on Extra Turning twice, to persist another spell, but there aren't many more great party-buffing choices at this level. Bless is decent, or you could buff yourself with Nightshield or Bite of the Werewolf.

Archivists learn spells the same way a Wizard does (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#arcaneMagicalWritings), including from other Archivists: "In most cases, wizards charge a fee for the privilege of copying spells from their spellbooks. This fee is usually equal to the spell’s level × 50 gp." 1st level scrolls cost less, but 2nd level and higher spells are significantly cheaper to learn this way. Remember that you can learn any divine spell in the game that could have been put on a scroll: Domain spells, Druid and Adept (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/npcClasses/adept.htm) spells, Ranger and Paladin spells, Divine Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantDivineBard) spells, even spells from prestige class spell lists like Slayer of Domiel and Disciple of Thrym. You have Scribe Scroll, so you could just pay NPC spellcasting fees (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) for the spell at the minimum caster level as many times as the number of days it takes to make the scroll (typically once), plus the cost of creating the scroll at that minimum caster level, to learn that spell with the help of a member of that class. Starting higher than 1st level, you could have done that quite a few times to learn a lot of spells you otherwise may not ever find.

Dagroth
2017-06-30, 12:55 PM
Is Death Delver a good PRC to take?
(So you could Rebuke AND Turn undeads, both of wich fuels DDM)

You would lose a caster level, tho

In general, no... unless you get the "Rebuke Dragons" ACF with your Cleric Level.

Extra Turning will only give bonus turn attempts to turning pools of differing creature types.

If you have Turn & Rebuke Undead, Extra Turning only adds to one of them (your choice).

If you have Rebuke Dragons & Rebuke Undead, Extra turning adds to both of them.

NoAnonimo
2017-07-04, 02:26 PM
Thank you all for your answers! Those links were really handy.

About

but there aren't many more great party-buffing choices at this level. Bless is decent.

I'm sorry, but am I missing something? Conviction, Mass gives everyone +3 (Morale). Besides that, Recitation (Purification 3) gives +2 (Luck) AC, Atack Rolls and Salvations (+3 if they workship the same deity). How if Bless a better choice?

Also, as I'm not looking forward to take more Archivist levels, so I'm starting to explore options of PRC

Is Paragnostic Apostle (Cmp Champion) a good choice? (I'm looking forward to take Knowledge is Power: Spatial Awareness -So Elation will give +15ft speed- or Mind over Matter -so AC bonus will get a +2 boost-) or Should I stay with Loremaster (DMG) and pick Applicable knowledge as my secret class feature?
Or maybe thinking about something else?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-07-04, 04:16 PM
I'm sorry, but am I missing something? Conviction, Mass gives everyone +3 (Morale). Besides that, Recitation (Purification 3) gives +2 (Luck) AC, Atack Rolls and Salvations (+3 if they workship the same deity). How if Bless a better choice?

I was limiting my search to 1st-2nd level spells, you're right, there are plenty of good choices for another party buff if you're going to use all of your 3rd level spells for that.

Is Paragnostic Apostle (Cmp Champion) a good choice? (I'm looking forward to take Knowledge is Power: Spatial Awareness -So Elation will give +15ft speed- or Mind over Matter -so AC bonus will get a +2 boost-) or Should I stay with Loremaster (DMG) and pick Applicable knowledge as my secret class feature?
Or maybe thinking about something else?

Mind over Matter only applies to armor bonuses, not all AC bonuses, so only spells like Mage Armor and Luminous Armor will benefit from it. Spatial Awareness is fantastic, so it's worth taking at least one level to get that.

Be sure to take one level of Sacred Exorcist to double your DMM fuel if you're going to replace Cleric turning with Rebuke Dragons.

If going Loremaster, be sure to get the Skill Focus prerequisite from the Frog God's Fane in CS so you won't need to spend a feat on it. I'd apply that feat to Knowledge: Religion so you can also pick up Divine Oracle if you want Evasion or Uncanny Dodge.

Thaumaturgist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/thaumaturgist.htm) is also a good choice if you can get a Ghaele (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghaele.htm) as your planar cohort.

NoAnonimo
2017-07-05, 09:42 PM
Mind over Matter only applies to armor bonuses, not all AC bonuses, so only spells like Mage Armor and Luminous Armor will benefit from it. Spatial Awareness is fantastic, so it's worth taking at least one level to get that.

Wow! I really missed that. You're right, Thank you for pointing it out.

Thaumaturgist is also a good choice if you can get a Ghaele as your planar cohort.

Yeah, I think I could get a Ghaele, it will just take a hell lot of gold, but it seems worth it, and is a long-term plan. Actually, I was thinking about dipping the 1st level of a couple PRC to boost my saves and get some class features, but it seems like I was going to fall short of power sooner or later. I don't know why poeple hate Thaumaturgist.

I'm also getting a Quill of Scribing (background history) and a Reliquary Holly Symbol soon. Any weapon/armor enhancement worth taking now?
Thank you!

NoAnonimo
2017-07-20, 06:15 PM
Question: If I'm creating a 5th level Archivist, can I start with a spellbook with Domain Cleric Spells? (Invisibility - Lust 2).

I think I read somewhere it was legal, but I can't remember where. Did you heared something about it?
Sage advice maybe?

Gildedragon
2017-07-20, 08:05 PM
Not as your level up spells. But you can have spent GP to buy the correct scrolls or spellcasting services

ATHATH
2017-07-20, 11:35 PM
You might consider picking up Olidammara's Bard Spell; it effectively lets you cast any 3rd level or lower Bard spell spontaneously.

NoAnonimo
2017-07-21, 07:55 PM
You might consider picking up Olidammara's Bard Spell; it effectively lets you cast any 3rd level or lower Bard spell spontaneously.

Intresting find!
Sadly, no Dragon Magazine stuff in this particular campaign, but may be helpfull to somebody else. Dragon Magazine #342. Thank you!

So, I'm investing in Craft Wondrous Item feat (for role porpouses: big rewards in xp in this campaign, kind of low WBL).

Currently on the Crafting list:

1_ Headband of Intelect +2
2_ Cloak of Resistance +2 (or Cloack of Charisma, but a friendly druid cast Eagle’s splendor on me sometimes, providing more Comand Dragons attempts, and wouldn't stack)
3_ Handy Haversack (Requires 'Secret Chest' Spell)
4_ Reliquary Holly Symbol (when taking Sacred Exorcist 1, ECL9).

Any other recomendation?