PDA

View Full Version : Question: dead feeding

Desteplo
2017-06-29, 01:48 PM
Can you feed a goodberry or a potion to an ally at 0 health making death saves to wake up and keep fighting? Since they heal. Like picking up their head and rubbing their neck to swallow

Drackolus
2017-06-29, 01:59 PM
Yes. Swallowing whilst unconscious is difficult, and it takes muscles of your whole torso, so really you can only get it so far down. But mushing it into their mouth should do it. Stick it under their tongue, you actually absorb medication faster that way.

Desteplo
2017-06-29, 02:23 PM
Yes. Swallowing whilst unconscious is difficult, and it takes muscles of your whole torso, so really you can only get it so far down. But mushing it into their mouth should do it. Stick it under their tongue, you actually absorb medication faster that way.

Could a familiar do this?

Beaureguard
2017-06-29, 02:26 PM
Can you feed a goodberry or a potion to an ally at 0 health making death saves to wake up and keep fighting? Since they heal. Like picking up their head and rubbing their neck to swallow

Not sure if it's RAW, but we use a medicine check for this. If there's someone unconscious and you want to feed them a HP restorative you make a medicine check. I don't know what the DC our DM uses is, but it's not too crazy. Low to mid teens I think. I like it because it make sense, and it's a use for a skill I don't usually care about.

Brawnspear
2017-06-29, 03:48 PM
Not sure if it's RAW, but we use a medicine check for this. If there's someone unconscious and you want to feed them a HP restorative you make a medicine check. I don't know what the DC our DM uses is, but it's not too crazy. Low to mid teens I think. I like it because it make sense, and it's a use for a skill I don't usually care about.

I do something similar with goodberries. I have the PC doing it make a medicine check, generally out of combat since massaging someone's throat and mushing up a berry isn't really something you can do while a person is trying to beat your head in. An extremely failed medicine check, especially by someone not trained, can lead do the character becoming destabilized or a failed death saving throw as they start choking on the berry. But I could just be a monster in that regard.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-29, 04:44 PM
If your DM isn't buying the forced swallow, you can try the baby bird method. It's like really, really gross CPR.

Afrodactyl
2017-06-29, 06:22 PM
Goodberry suppositories?

Only if you're feeling adventurous.

Hypersmith
2017-06-29, 08:39 PM
Cut their stomach open, let them take two fails then stabilize because technically they ate it.

Tetrasodium
2017-06-30, 08:52 AM
It's a magic berry, sure. we don't use any kind of check or anything to give someone making death saves a potion or goodberry, just to stabalize them without some kind of magical thing like goodberry/potion/healing spells/loh/etc.
edit: Just use your action giving it to them & done

DivisibleByZero
2017-06-30, 09:05 AM
DMG pg 139
Drinking a potion or administering a potion to another character requires an action.

I see no reason to treat a goodberry any differently.

willdaBEAST
2017-06-30, 01:15 PM
DMG pg 139
Drinking a potion or administering a potion to another character requires an action.

I see no reason to treat a goodberry any differently.

I agree. I also think that the cost of an entire action is significant enough in itself that adding a medicine check on top of it could be extremely punishing.