Level: Drd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: 5-ft.-diameter sphere + 5-ft per every 5 lvls of the caster
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Reflex, half
Spell Resistance: Yes

You create a burning globe of fire anywhere within the range of the spell. The burning globe of fire flies in whichever direction you point and burns those it strikes. It moves 30 feet per round and has perfect maneuverability. If there are creatures in the space that the sphere covers at the end of the casters round, it deals 2d6 + caster level points of fire damage to those creatures, though a successful Reflex save causes only half damage. It ignites flammable substances it touches and illuminates the same area as a torch would.

The sphere moves as long as you actively direct it (a move action for you); otherwise, it merely stays at rest and burns. It can be extinguished by any means that would put out a normal fire of its size. The surface of the sphere has a spongy, yielding consistency and so does not cause damage except by its flame. The sphere can engulf creatures smaller than it and can partially cover creatures larger than it. It cannot push aside unwilling creatures or batter down large obstacles. A flaming sphere winks out if it exceeds the spell’s range.

Arcane Material Component: A bit of tallow, a pinch of brimstone, and a dusting of powdered iron.

Is this spell too powerfull, not enough, or just right?

[Edit: Changed from a lvl-4 to a lvl-3 spell. Changed damage from 2d6 to 2d6 + caster-lvl. Tried to make it more clear that the sphere can occupy the same space as other creatures or objects.]

Borogove
2007-08-06, 05:00 AM
Absurdly weak? It's only very slightly better than flaming sphere, which is already a weak spell for its level, and this is 2 levels higher. I'm also not entirely sure how this spell can be used to attack multiple targets, given it apparently can't move through spaces occupied by creatures. Even if it is supposed to be able to, 2d6 damage is pretty much irrelevant at the point you get this.

Suggested changes:
1. up the damage to 2d6 + level (which is still kind of low, but not as bad)
2. rather than have it as a larger sphere, perhaps rework it as a normal flaming sphere that can burn creatures by moving through their squares, but doesn't stop when it does so? Change it so it can get more than one creature, anyway.

Zeta Kai
2007-08-06, 06:25 AM
Having read your edited version, I like it. This seems a little powerful for a 3rd level spell, but its certainly not broken, & could be considered fairly balanced by many players (casters mostly, I'm sure). Pray tell, why craft this spell? In need of more worthwhile evocations in your campaign?

Guinaur
2007-08-06, 06:38 AM
I've always liked the idea of a fireball not being a tiny sphere that shoots out and just explodes, but summoning a large ball of fire that you send towards your target and then explodes. A few years ago I thought of a combination between fireball and flaming sphere: You summon a big ball of fire which moves in a direction you choose, damaging all in its path, and exploding after it has moved a certain distance that the caster chose. I haven't statted this spell out yet, but the Greater Flaming Sphere is a variant to that (And its more a flavor spell for me).