PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help me make a masquerade adventure

Rogozhin
2017-06-29, 05:52 PM
Hello!

So,one of my players has hinted that they might enjoy an adventure that revolves around a masquerade ball. I had never thought of doing something like this but it sounds like it could be extremely fun, but also rather difficult to make it meaningful and fun. I'm hoping some folks might have some fun suggestions, or even be able to point me towards published adventures.

In terms of story i have a few ways to get the party into a... well... party. There are a couple of plot threads involving nobles whom are supporting either the current king or his deposed sister, involving several nobles the party has as contacts... as well as someone the party is keeping an eye out for who likes to hang out around nobles. There's also a cult the party has done some battle with who are sacrificing nobles to raise devils. Alternatively the party is also following leads that involve some underground rogueish/thieves guildian organizations. A bit more of a rowdy, lower class masquerade ball could also certainly be fun!

We are playing 5e with a party made up of a rogue (assassin/criminal), wizard (lore master/alchemist), sorcerer (storm/entertainer), Paladin (OOTA/knight), Cleric (life/acolyte).

Thanks so much!!

MintyNinja
2017-06-29, 06:37 PM
An interesting thing that a storyteller can do with Masquerades is use the portrayal of costumes and masks to actually show the inner workings and reasoning of the person behind said costumes and masks. The Judge that dressed like a devil might actually have a sadistic streak. The Noblewoman dressed like fully antlered buck might be more in charge than she lets on. You have a lot of opportunity to just play with the concept of perception and identity. And if you want to spice things up, set up some costume switches and a chase scene.

Rogozhin
2017-07-05, 09:54 AM
An interesting thing that a storyteller can do with Masquerades is use the portrayal of costumes and masks to actually show the inner workings and reasoning of the person behind said costumes and masks.

This is a very cool idea for sure!

I am more looking though for ideas for things that could happen leading up to or during a masquerade ball, or even in the aftermath.

LibraryOgre
2017-07-05, 10:14 AM
A common one is getting the right costume from the right people. Your players are unlikely to have a costume designer at their beck and call, so they might be scrambling for costumes in a city where the rich are already paying insane prices for them.

At the ball, what about a pickpocket who goes about filching jewels? That could add a bit of chaos to the event, and if things go south at the ball, this person will get very nervous, since everyone will be inclined to blame them for the problems, even if they're just here to get jewelry.

I would be wary about being too subtle with imagery for costumes-indicating-intent, and remember that this isn't a Disney song... it is perfectly possible to lie in your costume, looking more confident, being ironic (someone known for their corruption dressing as an angel, for example), or the occasional "I am playing to type regardless of my real personality".

jayem
2017-07-05, 03:02 PM
This is a very cool idea for sure!

I am more looking though for ideas for things that could happen leading up to or during a masquerade ball, or even in the aftermath.

Hmm
The purposes of the ball would include fun, matchmaking, relaxation, networking, eating&drinking, showing off.
A lot of these are things that have little reward in RPG's but do exist in the real world.

I suppose you could make getting real world snacks dependent of getting virtual snacks :smallsmile:

Matchmaking could be an interesting game, but it would take work and need something for the players to interact with. I suppose you could have the pieces on a chessboard with the GM having rules for the NPC's in the abscence of player interaction, and the players running round trying to break up the wrong couples (perhaps with some revelations half way, cinderella's a commoner or uncertainty). But people are used to it for combat, and this would be new. Even if the rules were magically perfect.

Relaxation is meaningless, unless you decide to stuff the rules for the night and freeform it over pizza.

If you can make your characters having fun the fun option for the players, then that one is solved. Of course that's easier said than done. Challenges help, but need some reward really.
Possible subquest options include

getting silly amounts of food/drink into a private stash
crashing the party
having to do something normal when more and more 'drunk'
ditto, except your sober, it's your friend that's drunk (avoiding the need for DM player interference)
some party scavenger hunt game
crashing the private rooms
finding characters doing stuff they shouldn't (the vicar pissed) to reward 'exploration'

Networking works moderately well from the off. A masqued ball is perfect from intrigue and clandestine meetings whether romantic (rom&jul) or shady deals. You could need to meet someone, based on half a description. You could hear a fraction of a conversation, and then map it into city events. You could interfere with a single romantic incident. Someone could be a criminal that you have to find. You could have to try to bluff your way into a higher social circle (for reasons)

The challenges of Hostal showing off are mirrored by successfully succeeding the setting up challenges, a reward of XP or 'fame' is probably as good as you can do. Possible subquests include.

Buy food/drink, cheap, fast, and luxurious?
Invite guests
Uninvite other guests
Decorations
Choose good theme (conversation only)
Find own outfits
Security [ongoing]
Incident during event ??