PDA

View Full Version : Australian Goblin Character

GoblinGuy
2017-06-29, 06:13 PM
I want him to use a boomerang (if I can) and I would like him to be a barbarian. Any suggestions for feats, stat allocations, primal paths, or gear?

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-06-29, 06:40 PM
Well, your first problem is that 5e doesn't have stats for a boomerang.

As for other general advice, I'd look at one of the various Barbarian guides, like this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?389546-I-ll-NEVER-Die!-(A-Guide-to-the-5E-Barbarian)). Bear in mind that your race is hardly ideal for a Barbarian - as a small creature, you basically can't use heavy weapons.

Vaz
2017-06-29, 06:41 PM
Is he called Bruce? Or Ken Oath?

Naanomi
2017-06-29, 06:55 PM
Ha in my home campaign setting, the equivalent of Australia is largely populated by goblinoids (and thri-kreen)

A boomerang is just a club that can be thrown... use a light-hammer stats; commonly enchanted with returning. May I suggest Ranger instead of Barbarian?

GoblinGuy
2017-06-29, 07:13 PM
So, if not barbarian, ranger or fighter is what I'm reading and considering. Any advice there?

GoblinGuy
2017-06-29, 07:18 PM
Well, your first problem is that 5e doesn't have stats for a boomerang.

As for other general advice, I'd look at one of the various Barbarian guides, like this one. Bear in mind that your race is hardly ideal for a Barbarian - as a small creature, you basically can't use heavy weapons.

Well, would dual weilding scimitars/shortswords be viable?

SpamCreateWater
2017-06-29, 08:59 PM
Weapon choice really depends on how much you care about realism vs the idea of using a (returning) boomerang.
Non-returning boomerangs were the traditional hunting weapons; they could fly long distances in a straight line and crippled or killed their target. This is compared to returning boomerangs, which were usually used in leisure or to flush prey out. Keep in mind boomerangs were also used in hand to hand combat, and had other purposes outside of combat.
You could also go for a spear user that uses a woomera - like an atlatl, but (like the boomerang) has multiple purposes outside of combat. This could be a way to, with allowance from the DM, get STR to your spear throws as the energy and force gained by woomera use is several times more than that of a compound bow.

The stats can fall in line around your weapon choices. A Barbarian with strong ties to nature would be fitting, although Ranger and Druid would do just as well. The Outlander background, with it's Wanderer feature, would fit the bill. Athletics, History, Nature, Performance, Religion, Stealth, Survival are all strong contenders for skills - obviously, arguments can be made for others.

Naanomi
2017-06-29, 09:56 PM
If you are really 'Australian' shouldn't you be a beast master Ranger and have a Giant Spider pet? As a goblin you could ride it effectively...

Malifice
2017-06-30, 02:29 AM
Ha in my home campaign setting, the equivalent of Australia is largely populated by goblinoids (and thri-kreen)

As an Australian I can verify you arent far from the truth.

TheTeaMustFlow
2017-06-30, 06:09 AM
Ranger seems like it might fit the character (I'm getting kind of a Crocodile Dundee vibe?) better than fighter, all the survival and terrain mastery stuff. Both classes are entirely workable, though for a Ranger you certainly want to look at the UA Revised Ranger (https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf), it's generally held to be a significant improvement.

Duel-wielding shortswords and scimitars is certainly workable - two-weapon fighting is probably one of the less impressive fighting styles (especially at higher levels), but I wouldn't call it weak as such. I find it particularly effective with a Ranger, given the combination with Hunter's Mark.

Findulidas
2017-06-30, 06:59 AM
An australian goblin sounds really fun btw. Props

GoblinGuy
2017-06-30, 10:47 AM
Ok, he will be a dex ranger who uses boomerangs and woomera-launched spears, and I'll talk to my dm about riding a crocodile or giant spider. Sounds good. Also, I rolled stats, and he has a 5 charisma. Gotta give him a speech impediment now.

SpamCreateWater
2017-07-03, 12:10 AM
Ranger seems like it might fit the character (I'm getting kind of a Crocodile Dundee vibe?) better than fighter, all the survival and terrain mastery stuff. Both classes are entirely workable, though for a Ranger you certainly want to look at the UA Revised Ranger (https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/UA_RevisedRanger.pdf), it's generally held to be a significant improvement.

Maybe some hybrid of Steve Irwin, Phil Breslin, and Teddy Egan/ Barry Port. There you've got an animal handler, a survivalist, and two bush trackers. Although, taking into account the 5 CHA, perhaps Steve Irwin isn't a good fit.
I second the revised Ranger.

Ok, he will be a dex ranger who uses boomerangs and woomera-launched spears, and I'll talk to my dm about riding a crocodile or giant spider. Sounds good. Also, I rolled stats, and he has a 5 charisma. Gotta give him a speech impediment now.

There is a Ranger archetype that gives you an animal companion, so that's definitely an option.
5 CHA? Take the Hermit/Outlander background (or make up your own) and go to town. Or Folk Hero and be the person who is uncomfortable with the praise they get from being a minor celebrity amongst the Commoners - and alternates between shunning them and drinking in a tavern corner, or just refusing to head into town when the attention becomes too much.

Consider a level in Rogue for an extra skill and Thieves' Cant - which gives you the ability to understand secret signs and symbols. This can be refluffed as reading the signs of the wild to understand whether areas are dangerous. It overlaps in the Ranger's ability, but a difference could be made between purposefully left signs (Thieves' Cant) and general signs of habitat disturbance (Ranger).

Woglin
2017-07-03, 02:28 AM

...will he wear a Ned Kelly tin-can helmet?