PDA

View Full Version : Largest AOE markers you think you'll need

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-06-30, 01:06 AM
I think I'm going to cut some AOE markers. Maybe a 12" cone, 12" Square and 10" circle. Any compelling reason to produce a 14" cone or 12" circle?

Any other shapes I will need?

ShneekeyTheLost
2017-07-02, 10:04 AM
Fireball, Hunger of Hadar, and similar effects have a 20' radius, so that's a 40' diameter, or roughly 8 squares wide.

Hypnotic Pattern is a 30' cube, which is six squares on a side.

Cone of Cold is a 60' cone, which goes out to a maximum of 12 squares

Lightning Bolt is a 100' line, so one square by 20 squares rectangle. I don't think it'll bounce off of walls in this edition like it used to, so that saves on needing to calculate angle of reflection/refraction.

So take that distance, multiply by however big your squares are that represents 5' and you have the size you need. I don't think there's anything larger than that which is going to be cast on a consistent basis. I mean, there's things like Forbiddance, but those will probably be handled on a case by case basis as they aren't going to be done every game.

sir_argo
2017-07-02, 12:07 PM
I actually made tokens for Roll20 for every spell in the PHB. One of those tokens was for the Earthquake spell, which has a radius of 100'. The one time our cleric cast the spell and we dropped the token on the board, it covered the whole map. We promptly just removed the token and said, the spell effects everyone. In practice, we have made use of 60' radius tokens (Call Lightning, Circle of Death) and while they cover nearly the whole map, there is still enough around the edges that people could theoretically be outside the AOE.

So I'd say 60' radius is your upper limit of necessity.

SpamCreateWater
2017-07-02, 08:54 PM
I think I'm going to cut some AOE markers. Maybe a 12" cone, 12" Square and 10" circle. Any compelling reason to produce a 14" cone or 12" circle?

Any other shapes I will need?

I don't know about other shapes, but this will mostly be reliant on your players and the enemies you throw at them.
For example, my current character's signature spell is Fog Cloud (20ft radius). Each spell slot above 1st level it increases the radius by 20ft. I'm going full caster. That is going to be one huge Fog Cloud.
If, however, my character did not exist, then the party would (a) be dead and (b) not need a circle AoE marker larger than 20ft radius :smalltongue:

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-07-02, 09:33 PM
Valid points. I suppose a map sized marker is the larges I'll ever need.

I have seen a couple on that tranparency paper and on thin plexiglass. The thin plexi is no doubt easier to put on dice, dice cases or legs over the battlefield so its seems the way to go.

Zene
2017-07-02, 09:57 PM
Staff of swarming insects has an effect that heavily obscures vision for 30' radius sphere from the user; that's 12 inches across on standard scale. I've never seen anyone with a good physrep for it.

Foxhound438
2017-07-03, 02:57 PM
I would recommend 4" all the way to maybe 16" for circles (even numbers anyway). Cubes are easy enough to just see where they land if you're playing on a grid, and I generally approximate the bigger cone effects but Cone of cold is 60' (12") and I think fear is a 30' cone or something like that. Those are the important ones if you ask me.

Hypersmith
2017-07-03, 04:55 PM
I actually made tokens for Roll20 for every spell in the PHB. One of those tokens was for the Earthquake spell, which has a radius of 100'. The one time our cleric cast the spell and we dropped the token on the board, it covered the whole map. We promptly just removed the token and said, the spell effects everyone. In practice, we have made use of 60' radius tokens (Call Lightning, Circle of Death) and while they cover nearly the whole map, there is still enough around the edges that people could theoretically be outside the AOE.

So I'd say 60' radius is your upper limit of necessity.

Where can I find these? I've been looking for something just like it

sir_argo
2017-07-03, 07:22 PM
Where can I find these? I've been looking for something just like it

I can't give you the tokens that use purchased artwork, but I can give you any tokens I've made that are completely homemade. The most important, that I can share, is full set of blanks... AoE markers that have only the border and interior grid, no other artwork. If you want that, I can put together a zip file and post a link (am I allowed to post such a link in these forums?).