PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Can a planar bound creature agree to a service outside a trap?

gogogome
2017-06-30, 01:58 AM
So if an outsider breaks free of the magic circle trap, can it still agree to a service and be instantly returned to whence it came once completed?

To provide an example...
1. An outsider is successfully planar bound into a magic circle.
2. PC rolls a 1 on the charisma check and the outsider breaks free.
3. PCs restrain the outsider, be it by grapple, pin, nonlethal damage knockout, etc.
4. Next day, can the PCs attempt a 2nd charisma check to compel service on this outsider who is fully restrained?

I ask because the Players in my game want to threaten outsiders with death to make them compel the service. If the outsiders think they're stronger then the players, then the players need to show that outsider they are wrong, which means combat.

RoboEmperor
2017-06-30, 02:42 AM
It's gonna be have to be a house rule because

This process can be repeated until the creature promises to serve, until it breaks free, or until you decide to get rid of it by means of some other spell.

magicalmagicman
2017-06-30, 06:08 AM
Actually, if you look at Complete Mage, it says Magic Circle is optional, meaning you can bind the creature into a mundane trap, so yes you can.

Complete Mage p.28, it says Dimensional Anchor is instrumental in preventing creatures summoned using planar binding from escaping, and that any summoner planning on using a planar binding spell should invest in an appropriate magic circle spell to strengthen the trap, meaning magic circle is optional, not mandatory.

Also, same page, it says planar binding forces the outsider to do your bidding, and that the coercion can be easier with rewards, so you don't need to trouble yourself with the roleplay aspect of planar binding too much, because by RAW, no negotiation is necessary, it's all 100% exerting your willpower on your victim until it submits to your will.

Inevitability
2017-06-30, 06:15 AM
Actually, if you look at Complete Mage, it says Magic Circle is optional, meaning you can bind the creature into a mundane trap, so yes you can.

To get all technical, it says nowhere that the creature must break free out of the magic circle. So imprisoning it in a circle lets you bargain with it, imprisoning it in a mundane trap lets you bargain with it, but imprisoning it in any way, then re-capturing it in any way after it breaks free doesn't.

gogogome
2017-06-30, 07:01 AM
Also, same page, it says planar binding forces the outsider to do your bidding, and that the coercion can be easier with rewards, so you don't need to trouble yourself with the roleplay aspect of planar binding too much, because by RAW, no negotiation is necessary, it's all 100% exerting your willpower on your victim until it submits to your will.

I know that, the players apparently don't. If they want to threaten outsiders and show them who is boss, so be it. It's fun watching them do more work for no real benefit.

The_Jette
2017-06-30, 08:32 AM
The first thing the Outsider should do, if possible, is teleport to a more advantageous vantage point. Otherwise, it's left itself surrounded by enemies on their home turf and is just asking to be taken out. If the PC's are really stronger than it, they can prove it by taking it out when it's not in a tactically horrible situation.

Also, if the outsider is a demon, this is just a bad idea.

Deophaun
2017-06-30, 08:58 AM
To get all technical, it says nowhere that the creature must break free out of the magic circle. So imprisoning it in a circle lets you bargain with it, imprisoning it in a mundane trap lets you bargain with it, but imprisoning it in any way, then re-capturing it in any way after it breaks free doesn't.
I'm imprisoning it on the material plane. The world is the trap. It cannot break free until it finds a portal or plane shifts.

And no, this is not as ridiculous as it seems, considering planes are used as prisons all the time.

Psyren
2017-06-30, 10:27 AM
I could actually see this. A young apprentice uses a scroll he found in his master's study after his murder to compel an angel to come down to help him bring the killers to justice. The apprentice is weak and inexperienced and so fails the checks, but begs the angel to help anyway. I could see the angel taking pity depending on the circumstances and agreeing to help even if it didn't have to.