PDA

View Full Version : Monasteries and Halfling Bards

BestPlayer
2017-06-30, 12:26 PM
I was wondering, what is a D&D monastery like. There is a fair amount of detail about what Monks of the Monk class are like, but where is the detail about the Monasteries themselves? I assume they aren't much like western European monasteries and must be more similar to far eastern monasteries, but besides that, what are they like? Do they all accept both men and women? Any race? Do they all teach martial arts? Are any of them evil aligned? Are they all in the mountains or are some in the desert or in the middle of towns? Are there any classes that they absolutely wouldn't teach or allow to be members? Do you have to be of the monk class to be a member of a monastery? What do they do beside teaching martial arts?

Naanomi
2017-06-30, 12:43 PM
100% setting dependent; it could be any of those things depending on the setting specifics.

In Faerun, most monks are associated with eastern-style monastic living from Kara-Tur or a related country (Sharn I think has such connections?). Abier-Toril is a pretty varied place though so I am sure there are other similar setups (secretive drow or hobgoblin unarmed combat academies and the like; hin-fist halfling arts being taught from master to apprentice); and some western-style monasteries do practice martial arts traditions (Illmater's for example)

Unoriginal
2017-06-30, 01:11 PM
I was wondering, what is a D&D monastery like. There is a fair amount of detail about what Monks of the Monk class are like, but where is the detail about the Monasteries themselves? I assume they aren't much like western European monasteries and must be more similar to far eastern monasteries, but besides that, what are they like?

Depends from campaigns and DMs. Some could be European likes, others not, or anything the DM wishes.

They're usually places of learning and the way they are is heavily influenced by the traditions the members follow and/or the main teacher's will. A good number of them preach asceticism and self-improvement, though.

Do they all accept both men and women? Any race?

It depends on the monastery. Githzerai aren't going to allow an elf or a dwarf student unless they're beyond exceptional, for exemple.

Do they all teach martial arts?

All the ones where a monk learned martial arts teach martial arts. For the others, it depends.

Are any of them evil aligned?

Oh, sure. Hobgoblins have a monastic tradition with their Iron Shadows, for exemple.

Are they all in the mountains or are some in the desert or in the middle of towns?

Nothing is forcing them to be in the mountains. They could be anywhere a teacher decides to start one.

Are there any classes that they absolutely wouldn't teach or allow to be members?

Nope. Well, some monasteries might forbid one or the other, but you should be able to find one that will agree whatever your class is. Even if you're an Oathbreaker Paladin.

Do you have to be of the monk class to be a member of a monastery?

Depends what you mean by "a member of".

What do they do beside teaching martial arts?

Depends on the monastery, but usually some mental and spiritual training is required.

Naanomi
2017-06-30, 01:42 PM
Also note that the Hermit Background encompasses isolated monastic living as well (it's one of the options on the chart)

Waterdeep Merch
2017-06-30, 01:51 PM
You could have a crazy variety of monasteries, from hippie communes to shaolin temples to Franciscan orders, cults of all sorts, the paladin equivalent of the Super Friends, basically any reason you could think of for a group to get together to worship something. After you've determined who got together and what they're worshipping, give some thought as to how they're worshipping it. They might have a very different viewpoint on the god/nature/force in question than other groups like them, and theme their worship around it.

Naanomi
2017-06-30, 01:55 PM
You could have a crazy variety of monasteries, from hippie communes to shaolin temples to Franciscan orders, cults of all sorts, the paladin equivalent of the Super Friends, basically any reason you could think of for a group to get together to worship something. After you've determined who got together and what they're worshipping, give some thought as to how they're worshipping it. They might have a very different viewpoint on the god/nature/force in question than other groups like them, and theme their worship around it.
And not just worship, just meditating in the mysteries of the universe and the like without a direct religious angle fits historical monestaries as well

ThurlRavenscrof
2017-07-01, 12:52 AM
Not really answering your question but many modern zen Buddhist monasteries are basically companies you hire to do funerals. Not much traditionally "monastic" about them.

I've always thought it would be cool to play a sort of payment inforcer monk for one such monastery

Leon
2017-07-01, 08:00 AM
What of the Halfling Bards?

Anonymouswizard
2017-07-01, 08:51 AM
In my setting monasteries are generally European in style, and dedicated to an organised religion (because the gods don't interfere with the world, and may not exist*). Most of them accept only one gender, but some accept both, and are normally paired with a monastery for the other gender. Very few of them teach martial arts and the ones that do produce fighters, most members of a monastery would be clerics or bards (depending on the exact monastery).

Then again I don't have the Monk class in my setting, are martial arts are those learnt by fighters, paladins, rangers, and some barbarians and rogues. I just felt that it felt out of place and a tad unthematic, like the Druid does.

* Faith generates all magic, whether 'divine' or 'arcane', faith in what will determine the spells you have access to. I'm considering just not having wizards and sorcerers, and potentially bards as well, if I run it with D&D.

Gryndle
2017-07-01, 11:27 AM
Nothing in the game rules dictates what monasteries are like, and as already stated they are purely setting and table dependent.

Not all monasteries are likely to produce monks as per the class. Monasteries are typically thought of in either a religious or martial arts context, sometimes both. A particular order of paladins or sect of clerics might have their own monasteries, mystics as well.

Any cult might also have a monastery. Even an isolationist enclave might be referred to as a monastery by the outside world.

As far as monk-as-class monasteries: how I treat them in my world is based on both archetype and region.
For example, Monasteries that specialize in the Way of Shadow could be found anywhere, but they likely are as secretive as any thieves' guild. There is one in a larger city in my world, but the general public is completely unaware.
Monasteries that teach the Open Hand are the most prevalent (but still on the rare-ish side) and the most likely to deal openly with outsiders, providing shelter to travelers, aiding in the defense of nearby towns in exchange for goods, services or financial support.
Sun Soul monasteries are rare, but basically operate as temples and schools for priests and paladins and general lay people of their faith, but are known to charitable and active in the world.
Long-Death monks don't have monasteries, but are more along the lines of renegades (and potential lunatics) that seek out students/teachers in secret.

I've only recently allowed kensai and drunken masters.
Kensai don't have monasteries per se, but a master might have a dojo here or their that the aspiring kensai might seek out.
And drunken masters in my world are more along the lines of monk adherents that couldn't cut the formal training and went out on their own and came up with bizarre fighting styles.

All that said, I don't FORCE my PC monks to be part of a monastery. I encourage but don't demand it. I do caution them that following a particular path while not being part of the monastic order, will draw the attention of the nearest relevant order. Depending on the PCs reputation and actions, that order may respond with disdain and hostility or with admiration and respect.

I prefer a PC monk to be attached to a teacher or monastery, but that's because I just generally prefer my PCs to have some ties to the game world instead of just "wandering adventuerer #232 that is completely self-taught with no family or friends to hold me down". Players that give that kind of background usually are advised that the character is at extremely high risk of stroke or cardiac disease and could die at a moment's notice.