PDA

View Full Version : Need NPC concepts for campaign setting (3.5)

flappeercraft
2017-06-30, 11:56 PM
So I'm in the making of a campaign setting for a game I'm DMing and something I want to add is high leveled, powerful, flavorful and or memorable NPC's. So what better place to look for those than the playground. I'm aware that this could go in world building but here is the thing, I want character concepts that are doable in 3.5 and can be powerful in 3.5 which is why in this subforum. For all those that want to answer, just an idea to base a character around, existing characters to take inspiration on or fully fleshed out characters you may have already are ok. No matter how ridiculous they are, they are always welcome (seriously, I literally added the Flying spaghetti monster). Thanks in advance

If you give a fully made build basic rules here, only 1st party sources are allowed plus Dragon/Dungeon Mag. No infinite loops or if it has infinite loops, that it can be converted easily to not be dependent on them.

Scots Dragon
2017-07-01, 12:10 AM
Basically... your stock Elminster/Mordenkainen/Gandalf/Merlin is pretty much a must. A big master archmage who's the Master of the Arcane and who serves as a foundational figure to quite a considerable amount of the world's current knowledge of magic.

AlanBruce
2017-07-01, 04:53 AM
Depends on the party's level, but these don't have to be fought necessarilly, merely interacted at some point, right?

My City Campaign has the following notable NPCs:

Gold dwarf Cleric 4/ Barbarian1/ Mighty Contender of Kord 10: This guy loves to get drunk and then, in the most kordite fashion, challenges a PC to a wrestling match, usually sending the poor guy flying through several walls.

Human Cleric 7/ Paladin 2/ Ordained Champion 5/ Shining Blade of Heironeous 6: This guy has an army of paladins that can help the city, except... they all on lock down by a higher decree. The guy grows fat and drunk from boredom and his paladins are tired of sparring with wooden dummies. The guy would like nothing more than to have a chance to step out of his own temple and help whatever ails the city.

Aasimar Diviner 3/ Cloistered Cleric 3/ Mystic Theurge 9: This one reveres Fharlanghn and has the unique ability to travel in body and mind through the Dreamscape, attempting to contact the PCs when they sleep (and those that can dream). Her messages are always cryptic and nobody knows where she is at the moment.

Grey Elf Necromancer 6/Walker in the Waste10/Pale Master 4: This is the Master of Necromancy in a city where paladins and good clerics are the norm. She keeps her face hidden beneath a mask at all times and never leaves the Tower of Magi, where she dictates classes at night only to the most devoted students of necromancy who themselves are unaware of what she really is, although rumors may abound on campus as urban legends.

She isn't evil and her practices with Necromancy are not meant to create an army of the undead, but she is well aware that some of her students may not heed her warnings and so, she will most likely reach out to the PCs for help when one of her prestigious graduates tries to take over with a bunch of zombies.

And yet, at all times attempt to maintain her true identity hidden.

Hope this helps!

Gildedragon
2017-07-01, 09:09 AM
Basically... your stock Elminster/Mordenkainen/Gandalf/Merlin is pretty much a must. A big master archmage who's the Master of the Arcane and who serves as a foundational figure to quite a considerable amount of the world's current knowledge of magic.

Better yet if this great wizard isn't actually wizard classed... Or able to cast spells.
A Karsite artificer might be cute.

Ooooor

A Beguiler Wizard that keeps a human as caretaker and "familiar", while having the world think the human is the wizard

flappeercraft
2017-07-01, 04:44 PM
Thank you for all the ideas and prebuilts. This all works for me, if anyone else wants to give more, you are more than welcome to

Gildedragon
2017-07-01, 05:20 PM
A charismatic shaman/medium type: pure binder