PDA

View Full Version : Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (IC)

Scheming Wizard
2017-07-01, 01:00 AM
http://nerdcaliber.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/DD-Elemental-Evil-3.jpg

Campaign Theme Song (https://youtu.be/a7Y7MwCCOYk)

Scheming Wizard
2017-07-01, 01:01 AM
Chapter One: The Town of Hommlet

Description: A more pleasant, pastoral community you've never seen. A largish keep stands on a hill overlooking the town, its stones still quite new and its walls clearly never assailed. Although the town comprises hundreds of buildings and homes, the area is still verdant with trees and shrubbery throughout.

Make any knowledge checks for things you want to know about the town such as local events, history, and geography.

Xgya
2017-07-01, 11:27 AM
Smart

A gnome approaches the town, stealthily moving from one shadow to the next. As he does, he tries to remember anything he's learned that could be useful in Hommlet.

Any local events or happenings, or any people worth meeting?
Knowledge(Local): [roll0]

General knowledge of what happened after the Temple was cleansed the first time.
Knowledge(History): [roll1]

Any interesting geographical features in the area
Knowledge(Geography): [roll2]

Is the area prone to natural disasters or particularly dangerous fauna and flora.
Knowledge(Nature): [roll3]

LoyalPaladin
2017-07-03, 10:08 AM
Gallant Holyshield

The Golden Lion takes stride alongside his companions. He brims with confidence in this next endeavor, never one to turn down a challenge. He'd just completed a long an arduous journey with a party he'd never forget, but Torm had told him to turn his ambitions East, and he left the cities of the Sword Coast for the hamlet of Hommlet.

"This feels like the right place." His voice deep, heroic, and booming. "Wouldn't you agree?" He turns his head to the elf at his side, while simultaneously pulling off the lion's head helm he was wearing.

As a paladin, I am versed in so many Knowledge rolls.

Knowledge (Religion)
[roll0]

NeoPhoenix0
2017-07-03, 03:53 PM
Kylanna

"Seems like it could be the place. We should at least check around." Kylanna replies to knightly figure, hopeful to take at least a small breather after their long journy.

as a sorcerer, i really don't have much for knowledges. don't suppose there is anything arcane about this town or keep i would know.

Knowledge (arcane) [roll0]

RolandDeschain
2017-07-04, 09:00 AM
Damon

As his horse crested the hill, the town of Hommlet slowly came into view. The sneer behind his mockingly sweet voice was all to evident, "What a quaint little burg; no doubt filled with closed-minded, superstitious yokels.
If there is any work here, these bumpkins will likely try to pay us in chickens."

Truth be told, chickens would almost be welcome at this point. It had been nearly eight months since he had received any substantial pay. Breaking up that highway man's lair of bandits had been exhilarating; the bounty and plunder would have been more than enough to set him up comfortably, if it hadn't been for the earnest paladin's insistence upon returning the stolen goods to their "rightful owners."

The others were far enough ahead of him on the road that it was improbable that they could hear him snort in derision. Rightful owners indeed!

The man was good in a fight that was for damned sure, and his unswerving loyalty was refreshing to say the least, but all this duty and honor nonsense would make paupers of them all if they weren't careful. Despite himself a wry smile crept across his face, he liked Gallant, and splitting a bounty was clearly preferable to an ignoble death in some bandit's hideout. These others he wasn't too sure about. To him it simply looked like more mouths to feed. Time would tell he supposed.

When the others paused he chuckled cynically at their words, "Pray tell me good sir, does it also feel like there's any coin to be had in this little backwater as well?" Spurring past the little group he nods to the elf, "By all means let us check around." Throwing a wink toward the paladin, "Who could object to what feels right?" There was no malice in his tone, and his normally dour expression seemed almost mischievous as he turned back to the road and spurred his horse into a canter.

TankLaser007
2017-07-06, 01:49 PM
Shroud Wearer

The Shroud Wearer of Myrkul strikes an imposing and impressive figure on his black mare. The ebon horse's skin seems to shine with an otherworldly darkness that swallows the surrounding light, and its mane and tail seem to blow in an unseen wind like wisps of black smoke or ink in water. One wouldn't know the pallid and frail man mounted on its back from the stalwart figure he cuts in his vestments. His skin darkened with ash stand in stark contrast to the ivory and steel skull mask that adorns his head and obscures half of his face, the eye holes seem two pitiless portals into the beyond, his grey eyes pin pricks in the sea of the ash blacked depths of the skull's sockets.

His shoulders seem broad and his chest full in the masterfully tailored doublet, the Skeletal Shirt of the Saint woven expertly into its fabric, the mithril links shinning like white strips of bone in the velvety black sued and leather jerkin. The thick black cloak drapes both his back and the slight frame of the lithe horse upon which he is perched, the deep hood casting flecks of shadows upon the white of the skeletal face within its recesses. On his chest wrought of silver, onyx and ivory is the unholy symbol of the Lord of Bones himself a bright white skull in a triangular black niche. It rests upon his chest bouncing slightly as the horse canters in the bard's boisterous wake.

"Lady Kylanna, Master Gallant" the man says in a velvety tone, a voice between a whisper and a hiss, nodding to the two as he rides past.

"Do not tarry long, it would seem Master Damon is quite enthusiastic to make the acquaintance of the denizens of Hommlet." he continues without turning to face them.

"Master Smart, as surreptitious and conscientiously cautious as ever I see. Well done." he says to the creeping factotum as he continues up the road, lowering his head in a sombre salute to the gnome as he passes.

He gazes ahead at the advancing form of Damon, and wonders himself what this Hommlet has in store for them.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Scheming Wizard
2017-07-10, 07:03 AM
Smart

A gnome approaches the town, stealthily moving from one shadow to the next. As he does, he tries to remember anything he's learned that could be useful in Hommlet.

Any local events or happenings, or any people worth meeting?
Knowledge(Local): [roll0]

General knowledge of what happened after the Temple was cleansed the first time.
Knowledge(History): [roll1]

Any interesting geographical features in the area
Knowledge(Geography): [roll2]

Is the area prone to natural disasters or particularly dangerous fauna and flora.
Knowledge(Nature): [roll3]

Local: The population of Homlet is 950. Items worth less than 800 gold pieces can be purchased within the town easily. Two men a fighter named Rufus and a Wizard named Burne were involved in the destruction of the temple 15 years ago and have built a large keep for themselves. They do not take too much notice of the day to day dealings within the town. The leader of the Homlet Militia is a ranger named Elmo. He has a lot of influence within the town. Canoness Y'drey is the head of the local church of Torm and was involved with the destruction of the temple 15 years ago.

History: 15 years ago a group of adventurers destroyed a temple to an evil cult not that far from Homlet.

Geography: There is a ruined moat house 10 miles east of Hommlet.

Nature: It's the beginning of summer right now, but Winter in Homlet is not mild. Lakes freeze solid and storms can trap travelers for days at a time. Food is also harder to come by during the winter. Wild dogs and badgers roam the wilds around Homlet. The soil is suitable for Ankheg burrows.

Gallant Holyshield

The Golden Lion takes stride alongside his companions. He brims with confidence in this next endeavor, never one to turn down a challenge. He'd just completed a long an arduous journey with a party he'd never forget, but Torm had told him to turn his ambitions East, and he left the cities of the Sword Coast for the hamlet of Hommlet.

"This feels like the right place." His voice deep, heroic, and booming. "Wouldn't you agree?" He turns his head to the elf at his side, while simultaneously pulling off the lion's head helm he was wearing.

As a paladin, I am versed in so many Knowledge rolls.

Knowledge (Religion)
[roll0]

You know that there are small churches of Lathander, Torm, and Mielikki within Homlet. You also know that the church of Torm is run by Canoness Y'dey.

Kylanna

"Seems like it could be the place. We should at least check around." Kylanna replies to knightly figure, hopeful to take at least a small breather after their long journy.

as a sorcerer, i really don't have much for knowledges. don't suppose there is anything arcane about this town or keep i would know.

Knowledge (arcane) [roll0]

Arcana: You know that there is a scroll maker in town. You think the owner's name started with a Z.

Shroud Wearer

The Shroud Wearer of Myrkul strikes an imposing and impressive figure on his black mare. The ebon horse's skin seems to shine with an otherworldly darkness that swallows the surrounding light, and its mane and tail seem to blow in an unseen wind like wisps of black smoke or ink in water. One wouldn't know the pallid and frail man mounted on its back from the stalwart figure he cuts in his vestments. His skin darkened with ash stand in stark contrast to the ivory and steel skull mask that adorns his head and obscures half of his face, the eye holes seem two pitiless portals into the beyond, his grey eyes pin pricks in the sea of the ash blacked depths of the skull's sockets.

His shoulders seem broad and his chest full in the masterfully tailored doublet, the Skeletal Shirt of the Saint woven expertly into its fabric, the mithril links shinning like white strips of bone in the velvety black sued and leather jerkin. The thick black cloak drapes both his back and the slight frame of the lithe horse upon which he is perched, the deep hood casting flecks of shadows upon the white of the skeletal face within its recesses. On his chest wrought of silver, onyx and ivory is the unholy symbol of the Lord of Bones himself a bright white skull in a triangular black niche. It rests upon his chest bouncing slightly as the horse canters in the bard's boisterous wake.

"Lady Kylanna, Master Gallant" the man says in a velvety tone, a voice between a whisper and a hiss, nodding to the two as he rides past.

"Do not tarry long, it would seem Master Damon is quite enthusiastic to make the acquaintance of the denizens of Hommlet." he continues without turning to face them.

"Master Smart, as surreptitious and conscientiously cautious as ever I see. Well done." he says to the creeping factotum as he continues up the road, lowering his head in a sombre salute to the gnome as he passes.

He gazes ahead at the advancing form of Damon, and wonders himself what this Hommlet has in store for them.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Religion: You know that there are small churches of Lathander and Torm within Homlet.
Arcana: You know that Homlet has both a scrollmaker and a potion shop. You also know that the scrollmaker is named Zerosh Nubric.

Xgya
2017-07-10, 07:54 AM
Smart

Smart turns towards the group for a second. *What a strange bunch we make. Heh, there's coin to be made at least. Still, these guys look clueless, might as well give some intel.*

He pauses for a second, then relays what information he managed to remember.

"People that took care of the first problem still live here. Might as well ask them what they know first. The old warrior and mage have cooped up in their stone fort. We got better chances asking the cleric.

Militia leader's a somewhat skilled ranger. If anyone has interesting info about the current events, this'll be our guy."

LoyalPaladin
2017-07-10, 10:40 AM
Gallant Holyshield

"I know of the local temple of Torm's head cleric." The paladin says proudly. "I can gather some information for us there. Any information we can garner will be of use." He gently strokes his horse's mane. "We'll want a night's rest as well."

NeoPhoenix0
2017-07-12, 12:14 AM
Kylanna

"I know there is a scrollmaker in town if anyone needs any scrolls," Kylanna says. "We should probably talk to that cleric from the adventuring party to get as much information as we can."

RolandDeschain
2017-07-12, 08:14 AM
Damon

As the priest of Myrkul rides up near him, Damon suppresses the nearly overwhelming desire to roll his eyes. The black finery, the mask, the ashes....even the man's horse for crying out loud. Anyone who invested the time, effort, and coin into grooming such an overtly sinister appearance had their priorities oddly out of whack. The good folk of this peaceful looking little backwater will likely soil themselves when he rides into town. How they would convince anyone to trust them with "Mr. Black Death" about was beyond him. How in the world did he and the paladin come to be friends? Not for the first time he reminded himself to ask Gallant.

No sooner had the company passed through the town gate when everyone suddenly began speaking at once. Turning in his saddle and smirking, "Seems I am truly blessed to ride with a company of such experts."

At the repeated mentioning of the temple of Torm and its cleric, his eyes came to rest again on the priest. With a reluctant sigh and a quick look around at the surrounding village, Damon motions to Smart, Gallant, and Kylanna, "Why don't the three of you go to the Temple and seek out this cleric?"

With an abrupt gesture to the Shroud Wearer, "You and I can secure lodging and see if we can track down this militia leader. You don't happen to know the ranger's name do you Smart?"

Xgya
2017-07-12, 08:31 AM
Smart

The gnome gazes at his party, and easily follows Damon's train of thought.

"I see your point. His name's Elmo, and he's quite liked around these parts, so asking for him should be pretty easy.

While we're at naming important people, the warrior is Rufus. To wit, Burne the wizard lives with him to this day. Finally, Canoness Y'drey leads the Temple.

I'll go and see what that temple is all about. S'bound to have some more for us to learn there. This is a village of less than a thousand, we won't get lost THAT easily. Let's just make sure we meet at what must be the place's only inn later on."

TankLaser007
2017-07-12, 03:59 PM
"Let us proceed then, if you all believe this to be the most expedient means of acquiring the requisite information for our current endeavours the let us make it so." he spurs his horse on and falls into stride with Damon's mount. "So young Master Damon. Shall we acquire lodgings for ourselves and companions, stable the mount and make our way to this 'Elmo'" he turns the gleaming skull visage towards his companion. "Although it would be a shame as well as a gratuitous mismanagement of our wealth to pay for lodgings when there is clearly a temple in the environs. As a representative of the Lord of Bones and a brother in arms to a champion of Torm I believe we are more than entitled to the hospitality of the Lion's house. Would you not agree?"

RolandDeschain
2017-07-13, 09:56 AM
Damon

With a snort, Damon turns to the cleric, "I suppose if you're mostly dead, requiring neither food nor sleep, lodging would be viewed as gratuitous; besides if it is as you say, the local clergy will surely offer to put Gallant and his companions up in their temple. I suppose it is a possibility though, so let's seek out this Elmo fellow first."

Flagging down the nearest villager, Damon inquires as to Elmo's whereabouts.

TankLaser007
2017-07-13, 10:13 AM
Shroud Wearer

"My pristine faith sustains me. Yet as all who still cling to this mortal coil, I am not without needs. I do require hydration. This weak flesh is yet so desiccated as such that it is no longer in need of such things. And blood, albeit, nobler than that of the unordained and uninitiated does still pulse through these veins. The elements too take their toll upon us all. The greatest of which is time, for by it ALL shall pass into the realm and dominion of my Lord. You would do well Master Damon to remember that. Especially given your choice of vocation, you dance ever at the threshold of his kingdom -- worry not though for I am your constant and watchful companion and when your time comes I will be there to ease your transition."

RolandDeschain
2017-07-13, 04:28 PM
Damon

"You have my word Your Holiness that I'll do my level best to remember that I'm not immortal. Not for nuthin', but easily transitioning into death sounds a helluva lot like givin' up on life, and if it's all the same to you, I don't plan on goin' out without a bloody and protracted fight. You're absolutely correct though, we all end up dead sooner or later, you'll pardon me if I focus on livin' between now and then."

NeoPhoenix0
2017-07-15, 08:03 PM
Kylanna

"Alright, sounds like a plan, shall we head to the temple, Gallent, Smart?" Kylanna says.

LoyalPaladin
2017-07-16, 12:39 AM
Gallant Holyshield

Instead of engaging in a religious debate with the Shroud Wearer, the paladin nods to Kylanna and head to the temple of Torm. "I look forward to being inside a temple of Torm. Our latest travels haven't allowed me time to seek out a temple." Gallant glows with this statement, almost as if his eagerness to show his devotion to Torm has manifested as visible light.

Scheming Wizard
2017-07-16, 03:49 AM
The Temple of Torm

Aside from the keep in the distance the church of Torm strikes you as the grandest building in Homlet. The heavy iron door is engraved with a silver gauntlet. If you look closely you see that the gauntlet has a symbol of an eye in the center.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1a/3b/78/1a3b784f009047d3213235de843607ae.jpg

A man who wears the robes of a cleric of Torm greets you. "I am calmer what can I do for you this fine day?"

Scheming Wizard
2017-07-16, 04:09 AM
Inn of the Welcome Wench

The villager Damon flags down tells you that Elmo is at the Inn of the Welcome Wench getting something to eat. The Inn appears to be well maintained with well cut shrubbery and a lawn outside. Inside you see two women tending the bar. One is a cheerful redhead while the other is a pale skilled and surly looking brunette.

The redhead directs you to the private backroom where Elmo is sitting at the table eating a pheasant with a side of potatoes and carrots. A basket of bread and butter is in the middle of the table so far untouched.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_CqUtqN7U9Kc/S9utcIhscFI/AAAAAAAAADo/s7viX8FUZmM/s1600/HaroldtheRanger-1.jpg

"Hello my name is Elmo. How can I help you fine gentlemen today?"

TankLaser007
2017-07-16, 01:41 PM
Shroud Wearer

Once they have reached the Inn Athaam dismounts, he draws a wand from his belt carved of yellowed horse bone and blacked in fire, a long braid of ebon horse tail dangles from the end he gives it a flick and the horse he was on only a moment ago collapses in upon itself into a black mote that flickers and then vanishes. He returns the wand to its sheath on his belt and follows Damon into the inn.

Once they stand before the man called Elmo he indcates one of the seats, "May I?" he says indicating the chair with an outstretched palm. "I am Shroud Wearer Cattim servant of the Lord of Bones and Master of all who end, Myrkul."

RolandDeschain
2017-07-16, 05:29 PM
Damon

Swinging down off of his mount easily, Damon smiles as he ties up his horse to the hitching post, and nods in satisfaction at seeing the low trough filled with water. Patting the beast on the neck gently, he surveys the area and notes the well-kept surroundings.

He thanks the redhead that directs them to Elmo, and suppresses another urge to roll his eyes as his companion rattles off his litany of titles. "Name's Damon."

With a simple nod, he pulls out a chair from an adjacent table, and sits "I won't bother with finery or pomp, you don't strike me as a fella interested in that sorta stuff. My friends and I just got into town. Small group, just five of us. We're simple sell-swords travelling from town to town lookin' for trouble." With a wry grin and a nod, "I know what you're thinkin', but it's not like that. We're lookin' for the kind of trouble folks be wantin' fixed, you see. Busted up a group of bandits a few months back for the good folks of a town about the size of this one. Before that we took out a couple of trolls that had moved into a cave just outside a village. Terrorizing the villagers and killing livestock they were. What was the name of that village Athaam? I suppose it don't matter. Anyway, work's been a bit...thin, of late, and we were wonderin' if there's any....dirty work, 'round these parts that needs doin'? One of the towns folk directed us your way, says you would be the one to know. Buddy of mine also says you're the leader of the local militia, so I wanted to let you know we was in town; thought you would want to know our intent. We're not lookin' to step on anybody's toes...so to speak."

LoyalPaladin
2017-07-17, 10:11 AM
Gallant Holyshield
Temple of Torm

Standing tall and proud in his armor of the Golden Lion, Gallant addresses the man. "Greetings, brother. I am Gallant Holyshield of the Golden Lions." He notices the symbol of Helm on the door, but doesn't give any outward signs of suspicion. "We've journeyed far. I seek council with Canoness Y'dey."

I'm not crazy, right? The eye on the gauntlet is Helm?

Xgya
2017-07-17, 04:59 PM
Smart

Smart gazes suspiciously at the person opening the door, but nonetheless stays back, silent. *Let the god-minded folk duke it out*

He tries not to overlook many details. His companion's gaze lingering on the gauntlet has him pause as he looks around for other clues things might not be as they seem.

Spot:[roll0]

Scheming Wizard
2017-07-19, 05:02 AM
Temple of Torm

Gallant Holyshield
Temple of Torm

Standing tall and proud in his armor of the Golden Lion, Gallant addresses the man. "Greetings, brother. I am Gallant Holyshield of the Golden Lions." He notices the symbol of Helm on the door, but doesn't give any outward signs of suspicion. "We've journeyed far. I seek council with Canoness Y'dey."

I'm not crazy, right? The eye on the gauntlet is Helm?

Smart

Smart gazes suspiciously at the person opening the door, but nonetheless stays back, silent. *Let the god-minded folk duke it out*

He tries not to overlook many details. His companion's gaze lingering on the gauntlet has him pause as he looks around for other clues things might not be as they seem.

Spot:[roll0]

"The canoness is in today and I'm sure she'd be glad to meet with you. We don't receive many visitors from outside Homlet. It's just a precaution we've developed due to the unique history surrounding the town, but she only meets with those I've confirmed not to harbor evil intentions. Will you three submit to the test?"

I am assuming Kylanna went with Gallant and Smart to the temple as well. Smart also notices the symbol of Helm on the door. He doesn't see anything else out of the ordinary.

Scheming Wizard
2017-07-19, 05:10 AM
Inn of the Welcome Wench

Shroud Wearer

Once they have reached the Inn Athaam dismounts, he draws a wand from his belt carved of yellowed horse bone and blacked in fire, a long braid of ebon horse tail dangles from the end he gives it a flick and the horse he was on only a moment ago collapses in upon itself into a black mote that flickers and then vanishes. He returns the wand to its sheath on his belt and follows Damon into the inn.

Once they stand before the man called Elmo he indcates one of the seats, "May I?" he says indicating the chair with an outstretched palm. "I am Shroud Wearer Cattim servant of the Lord of Bones and Master of all who end, Myrkul."

Damon

Swinging down off of his mount easily, Damon smiles as he ties up his horse to the hitching post, and nods in satisfaction at seeing the low trough filled with water. Patting the beast on the neck gently, he surveys the area and notes the well-kept surroundings.

He thanks the redhead that directs them to Elmo, and suppresses another urge to roll his eyes as his companion rattles off his litany of titles. "Name's Damon."

With a simple nod, he pulls out a chair from an adjacent table, and sits "I won't bother with finery or pomp, you don't strike me as a fella interested in that sorta stuff. My friends and I just got into town. Small group, just five of us. We're simple sell-swords travelling from town to town lookin' for trouble." With a wry grin and a nod, "I know what you're thinkin', but it's not like that. We're lookin' for the kind of trouble folks be wantin' fixed, you see. Busted up a group of bandits a few months back for the good folks of a town about the size of this one. Before that we took out a couple of trolls that had moved into a cave just outside a village. Terrorizing the villagers and killing livestock they were. What was the name of that village Athaam? I suppose it don't matter. Anyway, work's been a bit...thin, of late, and we were wonderin' if there's any....dirty work, 'round these parts that needs doin'? One of the towns folk directed us your way, says you would be the one to know. Buddy of mine also says you're the leader of the local militia, so I wanted to let you know we was in town; thought you would want to know our intent. We're not lookin' to step on anybody's toes...so to speak."

"I appreciate you coming around to introduce yourself, and if you are just looking for run of the mill work before moving on I can pay you a bounty for Yeth Hound tails and Ankheg pincers. I usually clear them out myself, but it's not a job I'd be sad to see someone else do. If you came here about the temple like most adventurers you two should take a seat and call over the bar maid to order up some food. There's a lot you should know before you venture near that place."

LoyalPaladin
2017-07-19, 10:16 AM
Gallant Holyshield

Thinking it a funny precausion, especially for someone wearing the armor of Torm's highly praised Golden Lions, Gallant nods. "Of course. I'm sure you'll find there are no evil intentions among us."

Xgya
2017-07-19, 11:06 AM
Smart

Smart remains stationary, but still manages to blurt out a query.

"What kind of test exactly? This is supposed to be a church of Torm last I heard, yet I see different paraphernalia", he briefly turns towards Gallant, "with the exception of my Tormtar friend here"

RolandDeschain
2017-07-19, 01:05 PM
Damon

With a nod at the barmaid, Damon pulls his chair in across from the ranger, "What's the pay on the hound tails and pincers?"

To the barmaid, "Just a mug of common ale and warm bread if you've some fresh."

Looking to Elmo again, "I've heard tales of this temple, seems there was a great deal of trouble some years back. We would gladly take any information or advice you might have to offer."

NeoPhoenix0
2017-07-19, 03:45 PM
Kylanna
Kylanna was absentmindedly looking around when the other Torm follower mentioned a test. What kind of test?, this guy didn't seem like dear Gallent. Taking advantage of Smart's observations, Kylanna asks defensively, "How can we trust you? We just traveled a great distance and you want us to take a test?"

Scheming Wizard
2017-07-19, 03:50 PM
Temple of Torm

Gallant Holyshield

Thinking it a funny precausion, especially for someone wearing the armor of Torm's highly praised Golden Lions, Gallant nods. "Of course. I'm sure you'll find there are no evil intentions among us."

Smart

Smart remains stationary, but still manages to blurt out a query.

"What kind of test exactly? This is supposed to be a church of Torm last I heard, yet I see different paraphernalia", he briefly turns towards Gallant, "with the exception of my Tormtar friend here"

In answer to Gallant. "I'm sure there won't be you all seem like a good sort." He turns toward Smart and Kylanna "I wouldn't worry about it master gnome and madam Elf it's just a small spell. It takes 5 seconds and you won't feel a thing."

He raises his hand and says words that Gallant hears perfectly as "Nanciscor Advorsus." Kylanna and Smart hear the words as well, but less distinctly. After a few seconds he says "See you all passed."

Calmer relaxes considerably and says to you all "The symbol of Helm on the door is actually quite an amusing story. A cleric of Helm named Miles Militus was assigned to Homlet about 17 years ago. I was just a boy at the time doing errands for the temple, and the Canoness was here. He wanted to convert the villagers to the worship of Helm, but he had nowhere to stay. He refused to stay at the temple of Lathander for religious reasons and the temple of Mielikki refused to allow someone who wore so much metal to live at their temple. The canoness let him stay here for 2 years. In that time he never converted a single villager despite getting up every morning at 6 a.m. to recite the words of Helm in the village square and ring his bell. Try as he might he just wasn't a very charismatic or persuasive individual. All of the villagers considered him a bit of a joke really, but when that Cult took up residence outside of Homlet he went with the Canoness, Elmo our local ranger, Burne and Rufus to root them out. I'm told Miles turned out to be quite gifted at combat. After the cult was defeated the church of Helm finally took notice of him. He's quite the high ranking cleric in the service of Helm now. The villagers felt bad about snickering behind his back all those years after he saved them from the cultists, so they made a symbol of Helm in his honor. The Canoness let them affix it to our door and its been there ever since."

He walks over to a door in the back of the temple and opens it. "You can meet with the Canoness now."

Calmer casts detect evil. None of you register as evil.

LoyalPaladin
2017-07-19, 04:00 PM
Gallant Holyshield

Gallant makes his way inside to Cannoness. Once he's in conversational distance of her, he'll bow politely. "My lady, I am Gallant Holyshield. I've ventured from the Sword Coast to inquire about the Temple of Elemental Evil."

NeoPhoenix0
2017-07-19, 04:07 PM
Kylanna

Kylanna follows Gallant inside. When they get to the Canoness she debates with herself for a moment before giving her a short bow out of respect for her station, and then let's Gallant do the talking with her.

Scheming Wizard
2017-07-19, 05:07 PM
Inn of the Welcome Wench

Damon

With a nod at the barmaid, Damon pulls his chair in across from the ranger, "What's the pay on the hound tails and pincers?"

To the barmaid, "Just a mug of common ale and warm bread if you've some fresh."

Looking to Elmo again, "I've heard tales of this temple, seems there was a great deal of trouble some years back. We would gladly take any information or advice you might have to offer."

The redheaded barmaid takes your order for bread and ale. "We are out of pheasant for the day, but the Marinated mutton chops and the Venison steak are particularly good if you're hungry." She goes to retrieve the ale and bread.

"Two hundred gold pieces per pincer and tail. The farmers are more than capable of dealing with the wolves and badgers who make themselves a nuisance from time to time, but the ankhegs and yeth hounds are beyond their ability and can wipeout a flock of sheep or herd of goats. I sell the tails and pincers to the merchant caravans that roll through every other month."

Elmo leans back in his chair. "As for the temple it's a long story, but I'll tell ye all of it if you've got the time to listen. Anything less would be negligence on my part. 15 years ago strange creatures started to come into town. At first it was just a few bands of Hobgoblins and Gnolls. My brother Otis and I were experienced rangers, so with the help of some local militia we cleared them out without too much trouble. Then a month later the truly strange things starting crawling out of that cursed place. A sea monster occupied the lake that by Lathander's mercy died when the lake froze over the following winter. Giant green toads with 3 arms that could swim through the ground like water, and little pixies made of fire. It was around that time that Rufus and Burne rode into town. They were experienced adventures that had a falling out with their old guild over some matter or another. When farmers started to disappear from just outside of town they organized a party with me, Otis, a Cleric of Helm named Miles and that dimwitted Canoness of Torm." You see a glint of anger pass over his face at the mention of her name.

The barmaid returns with the bread and ale at that moment and asks if anyone else would like anything.

Xgya
2017-07-19, 08:15 PM
Smart

Smart continues looking around anxiously, waiting for the abbess to show up. He takes a mental note about the Helm priest.

As the cleric casts his spell, he quickly identifies it as harmless and lets it pass, though he mentally thanks Damon for taking the Shroud Wearer away from the shrine.

He continues gazing at Gallant, awaiting for his reaction, getting ready to ask for anything the first round of questions or stories might have missed.

TankLaser007
2017-07-19, 11:25 PM
Shroud Wearer

Seated in a chair facing the ranger, and next to Damon, the priest of Myrkul allows his large black, fur lined cloak to cascade onto the floor into a an inly black puddle. He faces the barmaid as she brings Damon his 'meal' and says to her in his sombre but silky voice, "Mulled wine, heated and spiced." -- it is a statement. He returns his attention to the ranger. "Dimwitted?" he asks, a slight edge in his voice, "surely a representative of Torm on Toril should not be publicly referred to in such a disrespectful fashion. Yet you have dug the grave so there is nothing left but to lay the corpse, as they say, so pleased do indulge us in your elaboration of the Canoness and her apparent dearth of discernment."

RolandDeschain
2017-07-20, 08:36 AM
Damon

When the barmaid returns, "The venison sounds wonderful, however, I believe I'll wait for our companions before indulging too much." As he's pulling out the coin to pay for this bread and ale, "We'll be needing a room for the night as well...fairly large as there are five of us, but nothing elaborate...a couple of them do not require proper sleep, as it were."

Sipping his ale as the ranger speaks of the town's troubled past, Damon makes a show of looking around thoroughly when Athaam speaks of "publicly" referring to the Canoness as dimwitted, "Fair prices, fairly offered for the pincers and tails. Much appreciated." Pulling a hunk of bread off with his fingers, Damon leans in a little closer, "So you were part of the group that dealt with 'strange creatures' that terrorized the town and the farmers. You're a good man for placing yourself in harm's way for the sake of others, and I can assure you that whatever you say to us here will remain private. Do continue."

Scheming Wizard
2017-07-20, 07:49 PM
Canoness Y'dey

http://www.eva-widermann.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/eva-widermann-cleric.jpg

Gallant Holyshield

Gallant makes his way inside to Cannoness. Once he's in conversational distance of her, he'll bow politely. "My lady, I am Gallant Holyshield. I've ventured from the Sword Coast to inquire about the Temple of Elemental Evil."

Kylanna

Kylanna follows Gallant inside. When they get to the Canoness she debates with herself for a moment before giving her a short bow out of respect for her station, and then let's Gallant do the talking with her.

Smart

Smart continues looking around anxiously, waiting for the abbess to show up. He takes a mental note about the Helm priest.

As the cleric casts his spell, he quickly identifies it as harmless and lets it pass, though he mentally thanks Damon for taking the Shroud Wearer away from the shrine.

He continues gazing at Gallant, awaiting for his reaction, getting ready to ask for anything the first round of questions or stories might have missed.

You see the canoness seated behind a very large oak desk. She appears to be in her mid 40's with dark blonde hair. A mace and shield are mounted on the wall behind her. Three chairs are present in front of her desk. She motions to all of you to please be seated.

She doesn't seem surprised to hear that Gallant is interested in the temple of elemental evil.

"Well I have had reports from my associate Terjon that there are signs of renewed activity at that horrid place once again. It was a very long time ago that I ventured there, but I'll try to answer any questions you have. What do you wish to know?"

Scheming Wizard
2017-07-20, 08:46 PM
Inn of the Welcome Wench

Shroud Wearer

Seated in a chair facing the ranger, and next to Damon, the priest of Myrkul allows his large black, fur lined cloak to cascade onto the floor into a an inly black puddle. He faces the barmaid as she brings Damon his 'meal' and says to her in his sombre but silky voice, "Mulled wine, heated and spiced." -- it is a statement. He returns his attention to the ranger. "Dimwitted?" he asks, a slight edge in his voice, "surely a representative of Torm on Toril should not be publicly referred to in such a disrespectful fashion. Yet you have dug the grave so there is nothing left but to lay the corpse, as they say, so pleased do indulge us in your elaboration of the Canoness and her apparent dearth of discernment."

Damon

When the barmaid returns, "The venison sounds wonderful, however, I believe I'll wait for our companions before indulging too much." As he's pulling out the coin to pay for this bread and ale, "We'll be needing a room for the night as well...fairly large as there are five of us, but nothing elaborate...a couple of them do not require proper sleep, as it were."

Sipping his ale as the ranger speaks of the town's troubled past, Damon makes a show of looking around thoroughly when Athaam speaks of "publicly" referring to the Canoness as dimwitted, "Fair prices, fairly offered for the pincers and tails. Much appreciated." Pulling a hunk of bread off with his fingers, Damon leans in a little closer, "So you were part of the group that dealt with 'strange creatures' that terrorized the town and the farmers. You're a good man for placing yourself in harm's way for the sake of others, and I can assure you that whatever you say to us here will remain private. Do continue."

He looks at Athaam. "You may feel differently once you hear the rest of the story." He regards Damon less severely. "I appreciate the offer of discretion lad, but it's a small town and most people know the canoness and I aren't on speaking terms."

Two men walk into the private room. Both appear to be in their early fifties. One wears a blue robe and carries a staff in his left hand. He has a long gray beard. The other wears banded male armor and has a sheathed sword on his back. Both are carrying mugs of ale.

"Aye and what a small town it is" says the man with the sword.

Elmo's mood improves considerably at the sight of the two men. "Ah Rufus and Burne right on time I was just telling these two young lads about our adventures."

The man with the staff turns to Damon "Is he making me sound good lad? I used to be quite the dashing hero."

Rufus and Burne

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/5c/59/bd/5c59bd10d1251e9f97b4656b5205ac90.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f7/76/6d/f7766dd9b761f010715053365992bd95.jpg

8 copper pieces for the bread. 4 cp for the ale. 8 silver pieces for the wine. The barmaid mentions that they have two rooms left for the night. Each room has two beds. She wishes they had another room available, but they do not. Each room can be rented for 3 gold pieces per night.

RolandDeschain
2017-07-23, 07:18 PM
Damon

Counting out the coin for the food and drink, Damon nods at the barmaid and whistles at the price of the rooms, "Hold off on the rooms for now, that's a bit of coin..."

Standing as Elmo introduces the two men, he reaches out to shake their hands in turn, "Name's Damon, this is my compatriot Athaam. Elmo here was just tellin' us about the goings on with the temple a few years back. Yes sir, he's been quite effulgent with his praise, but we've barely gotten started. We would be honored if you joined us."

LoyalPaladin
2017-07-23, 09:41 PM
Gallant Holyshield

Pulling the chairs out for his teammates first, Gallant takes his seat last. "Thank you for taking time to meet with us on such short notice, my lady." His tone is both respectful and reverent. "Please give us any information you have on the return of evil to the temple. Our party, for varying reasons, seeks to remove the aforementioned evil." He looks to Smart and Kylanna. "If you do not have any information, a lead as to where we might obtain information would also be greatly appreciated."

Diplomacy
[roll0]

Xgya
2017-07-23, 09:50 PM
Smart

Smart sits down next to Gallant, still looking very uncomfortable. He glances at the divinely-minded folk surrounding him, awaiting for his chance to learn some more information about his quest.

He looks at the abbess and adds for convenience:

"We already know about your old companions and that most of them chose to remain close to the Temple after the events.

We're more interested about the dangers lurking within the Temple itself, and any easier ways to access its depths you might have learned.

Notably, any traps you have managed to bypass would probably still be active.

Another useful bit of information is anything about new activity within the Temple you might be privy to."

TankLaser007
2017-07-24, 12:11 AM
Shroud Wearer

The cleric sips his wine as the new comers take there seats. It seems this Burne is a caster of some sort. "Masters Rufus, and Burne." he says to the men with a nod. "Please continue with your narration," he says to Elmo taking another sip from the glass.

NeoPhoenix0
2017-07-24, 01:37 AM
Kylanna

Kylanna takes a seat. Her attention wonders a bit as she half listens to the conversation, while taking a look around the room, not having much to add to the conversation at the moment.

Scheming Wizard
2017-08-01, 10:01 AM
Temple of Torm

Gallant Holyshield

Pulling the chairs out for his teammates first, Gallant takes his seat last. "Thank you for taking time to meet with us on such short notice, my lady." His tone is both respectful and reverent. "Please give us any information you have on the return of evil to the temple. Our party, for varying reasons, seeks to remove the aforementioned evil." He looks to Smart and Kylanna. "If you do not have any information, a lead as to where we might obtain information would also be greatly appreciated."

Diplomacy
[roll0]

Smart

Smart sits down next to Gallant, still looking very uncomfortable. He glances at the divinely-minded folk surrounding him, awaiting for his chance to learn some more information about his quest.

He looks at the abbess and adds for convenience:

"We already know about your old companions and that most of them chose to remain close to the Temple after the events.

We're more interested about the dangers lurking within the Temple itself, and any easier ways to access its depths you might have learned.

Notably, any traps you have managed to bypass would probably still be active.

Another useful bit of information is anything about new activity within the Temple you might be privy to."

Kylanna

Kylanna takes a seat. Her attention wonders a bit as she half listens to the conversation, while taking a look around the room, not having much to add to the conversation at the moment.

The canoness adjusts her chair as she begins speaking. "Fifteen years ago monsters began wandering out of the temple. At first it wasn't anything I or the local rangers couldn't deal with. Some fire mephits causing fires and making a general nuisance of themselves. A water elemental occupying the local well. What was more alarming than what was coming out of the temple was what was going in. Priests of evil gods and sorcerers specializing in dark magic started stopping in Homlet before going to the temple and never coming out. Some of them were quite infamous already like Kapok the mad Caliph and Nix the dark illusionist. Due to this I began to suspect the temple was being used as a staging area for the forces of a demonic cult. I watched the temple entrance like a hawk for months, but nothing happened aside from new members arriving and the occasional minor elemental escaping to cause trouble. I put out a call to the church of Torm for assistance, but they said that an escalating conflict with the church of Bane had priority. It was around that time that Rufus and Burne rode into town looking for work. I convinced them along with the local rangers Elmo and Otis to go with me to investigate the temple. Miles the cleric of Helm Calmer told you about eventually joined us as well.

We fought through some gnolls and goblins that the cult was using as hired guards, but the deeper we got into the temple the more we realized how truly massive it was. It took us weeks of going room to room clearing out orcs and elementals before we finally encountered some of the cultists. Unsurprisingly all was not well in the upper ranks of the cult as the cultists were in the middle of a civil war between several factions. We used the disorder to progress further into the temple. Burne was rather good at convincing groups of cultists to let us pass in exchange for information on what their rivals were up to. I think he enchanted several of them to convince them we were on their side. We had to leave the temple regularly to heal, rest, and gather supplies before going back to explore further. By the fifth week we had finally managed to reach the upper leadership. They had managed to connect the elemental plane of earth with part of the temple with the aid of some magical device. That was how they were bringing most of the elementals through. Elmo and I decided to split the group. He took Burne, Rufus and Miles to capture one of the upper level cultists while I took Elmo's brother Otis to steal the device and close the planar rift."

She pauses uncomfortably before finishing the story. "The battle was particularly fierce. We had gotten used to fighting orcs and uncreative elementals, and we weren't ready when Kapok summoned a massive earth elemental. Nix then turned the monster invisible. I tore the device free from the dais and the entire temple started to shake as the planar rift started to close. Miles against all of our expectations killed Kapok in single combat and Rufus and Burne managed to destroy the elemental. Otis and I ran as fast as we could, but Nix attacked me while he was invisible. He pried the device out of my hands, and Otis attacked him. I couldn't see what spell Nix cast, but he killed Otis and teleported away. I tried to carry Otis's body, but I was wounded and my magic was failing and the temple was collapsing. I had to leave his body behind. I met Rufus, Burne and Elmo outside. I told them what happened to Otis. Elmo never spoke to me again." Her eyes glisten but no tears form.

"There is very little of the old temple left above the ground. Most of it has collapsed. What lies below ground is anyone's guess. Burne decoded Kapok's spell book and became convinced that the cult had been devoted to the demon Iuz and was just experimenting with creating planar rifts to the elemental plane of earth as a trial run for creating a link to Iuz's realm in the abyss. I suspect the 4 factions of cultists fighting one another each corresponded to one of the four elements and they were all racing to accomplish something. It was just a coincidence that the earth faction accomplished it first. Rufus and Burne decided to retire in Homlet. Miles tracked down Nix, but the wizard was already dead and the device missing when he found him. The church of Helm promoted him for his efforts and reassigned him to the Western Heartlands. The church of Torm finally sent me the assistance I needed and now Calmer and Terjon assist me.

I would be most grateful to anyone who was willing to investigate the temple ruin for signs of renewed trouble, but I must warn you it could be perilous."

LoyalPaladin
2017-08-01, 12:12 PM
Gallant Holyshield

The paladin takes all of this in thoughtfully, nodding while she talks. With a deep breath, he checks his teammates willingness. "If the temple is half of what it was from the Canoness' tale, it will be most dangerous indeed. I cannot ask you to risk your life and limb for me. But would be honored to have you along."

Regardless of Kylanna and Smart's reply, he'll continue on to reply to the Canoness. "You have my solemn pledge to help, my lady. For as long as I draw breath, I serve the cause of good and shall remain a servant of Torm." He draws his blade, Duty's Bond, and places it on her desk. A sign of respect, trust, and offered service.

Xgya
2017-08-01, 01:53 PM
Smart

The gnome turns towards the priestess as she ends her tale and nods.

"Of course, I'm ready to help! How much do you think this gratefulness is worth? I'd rather it be shown in the form of magical wares of some kind or another, though sufficient coin is always welcome."

He then waits calmly as Gallant asks him for help too.

"Well, my lionhearted friend, as you know, I'm always ready to help a good cause! I won't risk life and limb for you per se, but as a professional adventurer, it would be totally out of character to refuse a good tale with a promise of riches. Plus, given the Temple's history, I doubt you'll find many as skilled as I at sniffing out hidden foes and dealing with any defenses the people there might have laid since the Temple became active again."

NeoPhoenix0
2017-08-01, 03:49 PM
Kylanna

Refocusing on the conversation after being addressed Kylanna says, "Of course I'll help, Gallant. You have been very kind to me. It wouldn't do to abandon you now when you need all the help you can get."

Scheming Wizard
2017-08-03, 07:56 AM
Gallant Holyshield

The paladin takes all of this in thoughtfully, nodding while she talks. With a deep breath, he checks his teammates willingness. "If the temple is half of what it was from the Canoness' tale, it will be most dangerous indeed. I cannot ask you to risk your life and limb for me. But would be honored to have you along."

Regardless of Kylanna and Smart's reply, he'll continue on to reply to the Canoness. "You have my solemn pledge to help, my lady. For as long as I draw breath, I serve the cause of good and shall remain a servant of Torm." He draws his blade, Duty's Bond, and places it on her desk. A sign of respect, trust, and offered service.

Smart

The gnome turns towards the priestess as she ends her tale and nods.

"Of course, I'm ready to help! How much do you think this gratefulness is worth? I'd rather it be shown in the form of magical wares of some kind or another, though sufficient coin is always welcome."

He then waits calmly as Gallant asks him for help too.

"Well, my lionhearted friend, as you know, I'm always ready to help a good cause! I won't risk life and limb for you per se, but as a professional adventurer, it would be totally out of character to refuse a good tale with a promise of riches. Plus, given the Temple's history, I doubt you'll find many as skilled as I at sniffing out hidden foes and dealing with any defenses the people there might have laid since the Temple became active again."

The canoness takes your sword in her hands. "On behalf of the faith I accept your service. May your blade strike truly in defense of the good and the just." She hands back your sword.

She turns to Smart a wry smile on her face. "I'm afraid I don't have much to offer in the way of magical wares. Our healing potions are given to the sick and injured, and most of the donations we receive are sent to the Church of Torm to continue the work of the True Deity. However," she walks to the wall behind her desk and takes the mace off the wall, "this mace has been with the church of Torm in Homlet since the town was founded. It's not mine to give, but if Gallant gives his word to ensure its return I can loan it to you for your quest." She hands the massive weapon to Smart.

Scheming Wizard
2017-08-03, 10:37 AM
Damon

Counting out the coin for the food and drink, Damon nods at the barmaid and whistles at the price of the rooms, "Hold off on the rooms for now, that's a bit of coin..."

Standing as Elmo introduces the two men, he reaches out to shake their hands in turn, "Name's Damon, this is my compatriot Athaam. Elmo here was just tellin' us about the goings on with the temple a few years back. Yes sir, he's been quite effulgent with his praise, but we've barely gotten started. We would be honored if you joined us."

Shroud Wearer

The cleric sips his wine as the new comers take there seats. It seems this Burne is a caster of some sort. "Masters Rufus, and Burne." he says to the men with a nod. "Please continue with your narration," he says to Elmo taking another sip from the glass.

Burne and Rufus sit on opposite sides of Elmo. Burne waves his hands in the air and a small hole between dimensions opens. A tortoise with a bright orange shell pops out and the hole closes behind it. "This is my old friend speedy" he mentions to the two of you. "A head of your finest lettuce for my friend if you please" he says to the waitress. "Sure thing" the waitress acknowledges leaving the room. "Where to start" Rufus muses. "Tell them about the guild break up. Good lesson in that for aspiring adventurers" Burne interrupts.

"Ok so Burne and I used to belong to an adventuring guild called Phantom Lynx. It started off pretty good just a few dozen friends and relatives working together to raid some dungeons and bring home some treasure. The problem was over the years we got too successful for our own good. Paperwork, life insurance policies, shareholder meetings, retirement plans, acquisition forms, you get the idea. Burne and I enjoyed making our own hours and living by our own rules, but just being a member of the guild was becoming a desk job, so Burne and I cashed out and rode out on our own." "Best decision I ever made" added Burne.

"About that time was when the strange creatures started to wander into town and I put out a call for adventurers." said Elmo clearly enjoying the story.

"Yes and we were glad to finally crawl through a dungeon again after years of presentations and forms" laughed Rufus. "We started out gradually. First we took out the monsters that had wandered out of the temple into the surrounding forests. Then we took out the orcs stationed at the old moat house by the cult as an observation post." "Speaking of the old moat house Jennithar tells me there has been some renewed activity there in the last few weeks" Elmo throws in. "Probably a good place for these lads to start. The strange stuff started at that moat house the last time as well" continues Rufus.

The waitress walks back into the room carrying a head of lettuce on a silver platter. "Here you are Mr. Speedy." As she sets the platter down the tortoise which you notice has a flame pattern covering his shell starts to move toward the platter and begins to eat the lettuce.

RolandDeschain
2017-08-04, 08:30 AM
Damon

Careful not to touch without permission Damon nods, "Hello Speedy!"

As he takes in the story smiling and nodding at the hassles of being a member of an adventurer's guild, he looks at the darkly clad cleric at his side, "I can see where being in such a large group with many disparate personalities could be a problem."

As the conversation hits a brief lull, Damon leans in a bit closer to Elmo, "Is this...Jennithar credible? What sort of 'renewed activity' did they speak of?"

TankLaser007
2017-08-07, 01:00 AM
The Shroudwearer

He raises his glass to Burne and Ruffus before finishing it, the priest once again turns his attentions to Elmo,

"The bracing tales of bureaucratic woe are enough to whiten the hair of even an elf yet I still fail to see where the Cannoness falls into all of this, perhaps I missed something? As you did suggest a possible change in my opinion regarding her once your story has completed. Perhaps I have failed to grasp some nuance?"

Xgya
2017-08-07, 11:23 AM
Smart

Smart wobbles a bit as he is handed the weapon, much too large for his tiny frame. Still, he studies it closely before handing it over to Gallant. He looks a bit befuddled, but manages to become serious again quick enough.

"This is... this is nice. Unexpected, but nice. I was expecting to strike it rich here, but this tiny church might not be able to afford my services after all. Such a shame. I can at least promise to write stories about what the village used to look like before it got destroyed by cultists."

LoyalPaladin
2017-08-08, 11:08 AM
Gallant Holyshield

Gallant places the mace back on the desk. "I believe this artifact best serves its purpose here, my lady."

He whispers to Smart. "You know, Smart. With the rush of people and its rich history, I'm sure there's quite a bit of treasure inside the temple. If you catch my drift..."