PDA

View Full Version : Umm... item combination possible?

Elminster298
2017-07-01, 01:33 AM
Sooo... If, and this is a huge massive unlikely if, a DM was crazy enough to do this... I have not found anything in the core books against it and can't find anything in sage advice either.

Robe of the Archmagi, Rod of the Pact Keeper, and Wand of the War Mage. If by some chance a Warlock got a hold of these items, does the bonus to spell attack and sace dc stack? Theoretically, a 20th level Warlock spell attack bonus would be +19 and save dc would be 27? I always knew these items existed but I guess I always just assumed they didn't stack so I didn't pay enough attention to notice they absolutely do stack. Is this correct or did I miss something somwhere?

JackPhoenix
2017-07-01, 06:04 AM
This is correct. As long as the bonuses aren't from the same source, they stack.

EvilAnagram
2017-07-01, 06:55 AM
Sooo... If, and this is a huge massive unlikely if, a DM was crazy enough to do this... I have not found anything in the core books against it and can't find anything in sage advice either.

Robe of the Archmagi, Rod of the Pact Keeper, and Wand of the War Mage. If by some chance a Warlock got a hold of these items, does the bonus to spell attack and sace dc stack? Theoretically, a 20th level Warlock spell attack bonus would be +19 and save dc would be 27? I always knew these items existed but I guess I always just assumed they didn't stack so I didn't pay enough attention to notice they absolutely do stack. Is this correct or did I miss something somwhere?

I'm afb, but I believe that they provide a bonus only when they are used as the focus for a spell the character casts. I don't believe that you can use two foci for the same casting.

Vaz
2017-07-01, 07:22 AM
Robe of the Archmagi; You gain these benefits while wearing the robe:
- Your spell save DC and spell attack bonus increase by 2.

Rod of the Pact Keeper; While holding this rod, you gain a bonus to spell attack rolls and to the saving throw DCs of your Warlock spells.

Wand of the War Mage; While holding this wand, you gain a bonus to spell attacks rolls

These all stack. HOWEVER, because you are holding 2 weapons, even with War Caster you can only perform Somatic Components; War Caster RAW does not allow you to pull Material Components or use your Arcane Focus. If your DM lets you use one of your Wands as a new Arcane Focus, then sure.

JackPhoenix
2017-07-01, 09:16 AM
Robe of the Archmagi; You gain these benefits while wearing the robe:
- Your spell save DC and spell attack bonus increase by 2.

Rod of the Pact Keeper; While holding this rod, you gain a bonus to spell attack rolls and to the saving throw DCs of your Warlock spells.

Wand of the War Mage; While holding this wand, you gain a bonus to spell attacks rolls

These all stack. HOWEVER, because you are holding 2 weapons, even with War Caster you can only perform Somatic Components; War Caster RAW does not allow you to pull Material Components or use your Arcane Focus. If your DM lets you use one of your Wands as a new Arcane Focus, then sure.

Wand is an arcane focus, so you don't need Warcaster for SM spells, hand holding M component (or focus) can provide S component already. You need Warcaster for S spells that don't have M component.

SharkForce
2017-07-01, 11:09 AM
honestly, the wand of the war mage is pretty irrelevant. +3 to hit with spells isn't terrible, but it isn't like you need it that badly when you've already got +16 to hit on top of a decent chance of having advantage. what exactly are you struggling to hit at that point? meanwhile, the wand doesn't help your DC at all, and that's the most broken part by a significant margin anyways.

if you really want to break it more, you want stuff like tomes that increase your ability score and the ioun stone that boosts your proficiency bonus. *those* will help your DC further. the wand of the warmage is the wrong attuned item to look for :P