PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Assigning CR Modifications to unusual traits

PhoenixPhyre
2017-07-01, 09:52 AM
I'm creating monsters roughly based on 4e monsters for a 5e campaign and need help assessing some of the abilities and traits. What approximate effect would these have on monsters that normally do damage for a CR 5-7 monster? Note that the Grue is designed to be used in conjunction with another monster that gets sneak attack damage against creatures affected by its Mind Fog ability.

When the creature would be affected by charm, confusion, compulsion or other such mind-affecting spells or effects, roll a d4. On a roll of 3 or 4, the effect rebounds on the caster instead. On a roll of 1 or 2, the creature makes any saving throws against the effect at advantage.

I'm rating this as equivalent to Magic Resistance since my characters use these spells commonly.

The Grue is a melee skirmisher-type whose attacks inflict Mind Fog--

The grue's claw attacks fatigue the minds of those they hit (undead and constructs are immune to this effect). On first application, the speed of the affected creatures is reduced by half. On a second application, affected creatures can either take an action or move and cannot take reactions. Successive applications beyond the second cause 1d6 psychic damage but do not otherwise increase the effect. Affected creatures can make a Wisdom saving throw (DC 14) at the end of each of their turns, reducing the mind fog by one step on a success. Dispel magic or lesser restoration end the effect in its entirety.

This one is a major effect, but I'm not sure how major. It's brutal against skirmishers and others that rely on mobility but much less so against stand-and-tank types. Note that the Grue can teleport 20 feet as a reaction every other turn.

The Berserker is a standard high-health brute with one special ability:

One creature within 25 feet of the berserker's choice must make a Wisdom saving throw (DC 14) or use its reaction to make a weapon attack against the nearest enemy of the berserker. If no valid targets are in range, the target must immediately use its reaction to move up to its speed toward its nearest ally (incurring attacks of opportunity for movement as usual).

It can use this effectively as a bonus action in addition to three normal attacks. I have no idea how to score this ability.

In sum, how should I think about adjusting CR for these creatures? They're slated to go up (in small packs) against a group of 4 level 11s:

Land Druid. Likes playing the controller.
Melee TWF rogue
Open hand monk
GOO warlock