PDA

View Full Version : Malleable Illusions & Illusory Reality shenanigans

Dalebert
2017-07-01, 12:13 PM
My illusionist is almost 13th level and it suddenly hit me that Simulacrum is an illusion spell which subjects it to Malleable Illusions. I could, theoretically, alter the simulacrum into a different simulacrum after creating it. On closer scrutiny, the simulacrum spell requires you to be touching the creature you're duplicating during the entire casting. Seems like a feat of endurance and space bubble violation, but whatevs. Presumably you can do it with a willing or thoroughly restrained creature.

Still, this makes it possible to create a multi-simulacrum. If I can get one or more PC allies to hold still and maintain contact throughout the casting, I could have a simulacrum that I could alter with an action as long as it's in sight into any of the three of us (self included, of course). Once my spell slots are used up, maybe it would be more convenient to have a monk. Their abilities aren't spell-slot dependent. Also, I could strap a small turtle to me during the casting and now the simulacrum is portable.

Has anyone tried this? What other illusionist shenanigans have you plagued your DMs with?

Hrugner
2017-07-02, 10:37 AM
This is one of those things in the game that's sloppy enough that I doubt it's dealt with in the same way from table to table. Very generally speaking, I'd expect most people to disallow changing the simulacrum since the spell makes no allowances for extra material components for additional forms. It's a cool idea and I'd prefer to see it work. The creation spell has a similar difficulty, either your DM is cool with you having the material available and lets you shape your created item constantly, or you're stuck with one material for all the shaping.