PDA

View Full Version : I've cracked the case. The MitD is...

An Enemy Spy
2017-07-01, 06:39 PM
Okay, bear with me here. In the most recent strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1078.html), Roy in a moment of great need and high emotion, manages to teleport an object. Now hearken yonder back to strip #661 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0661.html), where in a moment of desperation, The Monster in the Darkness teleports Vaarsuvius and O-Chul to safety. Neither Roy nor the Monster were previously aware of these abilities, but they both operated on a similar principle. The user desperately needs something or someone moved to or away from them, and in a moment of extreme emotion, the power activates.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "AES, you must think I have turnips growing out of my ears to fall for your cockamamie idea that Roy is the MitD. Why, I've seen them together in multiple strips!" And you'd be right to say that, because of course Roy isn't the MitD, the very concept is absurd. The two of them have almost no similarities to speak of. Before the latest comic, I'd have never thought to link them at all.

But what if there was another Roy?

What if Roy had a secret twin, a twin we've already seen, similar in stature to Roy but with the Monster's dimwitted nature? A twin whose face has been hidden so as not to reveal his true identity? A twin whose name is the reverse of Roy's, just as Nale is the reverse of Elan?

I posit to you, dear Playground, that the true identity of the Monster in the Darkness is none other than Yor (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0604.html), the mysterious fighter in league with the Greysky City Thieves Guild!

Quebbster
2017-07-01, 06:55 PM
I do believe Start of Darkness establishes that the MitD is a bit older than Roy, so that speaks against a lost twin.
I do like the thematic similarities though.

NerdyKris
2017-07-01, 07:06 PM
The hunters in SOD and Oona wouldn't have referred to a human the way they do. The hunters, circus goers, and Red Cloak have all seen him without the shadows as well.

Peelee
2017-07-01, 07:12 PM
The only Yor I recognize is the hunter from the future.

Emanick
2017-07-01, 07:59 PM
You're*'''''''

Steward
2017-07-01, 08:02 PM
Interesting. When I started reading your post I thought you were going to say that the monster was somehow was related to the sword.

On one hand, I kind of assumed that the thing with the sword was a legacy power rather than something that Roy can do -- I don't think it would work with any other item, whereas I think the MITD could probably teleport anyone he wanted to if he understood how his power worked. But on the other hand, I think you may be onto something with the idea of Roy having a twin or evil doppelganger out there. But on the third hand...

I don't think the fighter in that strip can be the MITD; even a light tap from him was enough to knock Miko hundreds of feet into the air. The fighter in the strip that you linked to hit Haley with full force and didn't do much damage.

It's a good theory though, it just has that one hole.

Euclidodese
2017-07-02, 04:34 AM
The hunters in SOD and Oona wouldn't have referred to a human the way they do. The hunters, circus goers, and Red Cloak have all seen him without the shadows as well.On both those occasions he was dressed as a Mime.

-Mimes aren't found in jungles.
-Mimes don't speak.
-Mimes are the sort of thing you could sell to a circus.
-Most people don't like looking at Mimes.
-But some people do.

I REST MY CASE!

Edit: (Case unrested) Oh My God that also explains why he doesn't like pulling ropes "I have to hold something and move it" He's a mime! He's used to miming pulling on a rope! The idea of pulling a thing whilst also holding said thing is totally alien to him!

MITD as mime confirmed.
Case re-rested.

truemane
2017-07-02, 09:53 AM
The only Yor I recognize is the hunter from the future.

"DAMN TALKING BOX!!!"

I love that movie.

dtilque
2017-07-02, 09:54 AM
MITD as mime confirmed.

That... that's such an incredibly good theory, it must be true. Further evidence: mimes can't get out of boxes. Well known fact. It all fits. It's my headcanon from now on.

As for Roy/Yor, yes they may be good/evil twins. Note that we haven't seen Yor without the helmet, just llike we never saw Tarquin without one before the big reveal. But I don't think Yor = MitD fits very well.

Vinyadan
2017-07-02, 10:00 AM
I thought you were going to say that the MitD is the descendent of an ancient kin of disappointers, and that disappointment is the weapon he can summon at will, making O-C and V disappear to Xykon's chagrin... Because disappointment is his ancestral weapon, and his destiny is interwoven with it! Might Is Frustration! Truth Is Spoilery! War Is XPs!

Alcore
2017-07-03, 12:32 AM
There are so many holes in this boat i find myself drowning before i knew it. :smallconfused:

Being largely unrecognized by anything short of a paladin (who has only as theory rather than knowledge) i believe the MiTD has enough templates and is rare enough to be foreign to it's own kind. There is at least one hole in my boat boat and that's the hunters; they recognized him (even if he looked odd and out of place). At least one template raises his mental attributes well beyond normal.

137beth
2017-07-06, 07:59 AM
Well, I'll admit, I forgot about the Thieves Guild fighter being named Yor, so I definitely didn't expect that. There are plenty of issues with this idea, obviously, but I do like the idea of Yor being connected to Roy somehow.

Darth Paul
2017-07-07, 07:48 PM
Supposing Tarquin had a secret fling with Roy's mom, from which she had twin boys??

Born at a time when Eugene was away adventuring, Tarquin was the only man who knew of Roy's secret brother, whom he suggested be named Yor, due to his love of theme-naming twins. Witness Elan and Nale... Roy and Yor were the test run.