PDA

View Full Version : Rolled a warlock! need help fleshing him out! spells, pact boon, ect.

Rfkannen
2017-07-01, 07:34 PM
Hey I random rolled a character for a new campaign and need some ideas fleshing them out, spells, boons, and for how to level them!

Race is tiefling
stats after racial adjustment are 5 str, 17 dex, 10 con, 14 int, 11 wis, 20 cha.
background is mercenary vetaran

class is celestial warlock

(all of that I can not change, except maybe the background (I can't change backstory but can change the stat background type)

Group mates are a wizard (going to be evocation, only blasting spells so far)

barbarian (more dex than str so a tank)

artificer (alchemist)

a bard (probably lore, specialty is battlefield control, no healing spells (cantrips: vicius mockery, prestidigitation. First level; thunder wave, disguise self, earth tremor, dissonent whispers.)

and something else hasn't been decided yet, but the player is a pyromaniac type so probably a blaster type, I don't really know though.

The backstory is he is from the other side of the planet, and was part of a family of mercenary demons, half demons, and a couple tieflings who were dessert raiders who tour apart the landscape and pillaged towns. Eventually on a raid he was mortally wounded, but was saved by a celestial that told him to stop being evil and to head to the other side of the world and find a guy there. This happened like a month ago and he is terrified every time he accidentally does something evil because he is convinced the celestial will murder him. He doesn't know anything about the celestial except its domain is truth.

the campaign is set in fantasy scotland, my character is from mad max fury road land.

So what do you think my boon should be? My spells? feats?is there anything it seems like my party lacks that I can fill the role of? What role should I be?

I just want to be as useful to the party as I can be!

Edit: everything from ua and all books allowed except winged variant.

Arcangel4774
2017-07-01, 07:50 PM
If you go chain or go tome and pick up the ritual casting for familiar, you can very easily have the dm play that familiar as either a devil or angel on your shoulder, either make for good roleplaying.

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-07-01, 09:29 PM
Huh. I wouldn't have picked a Celestial Pact for a tiefling.

I prefer the flexibility of Tome-locks, since they can become ritual casters, which really helps you cast spells between combat without worrying about using up your few slots but an argument could be made for Chain.

Rfkannen
2017-07-01, 10:14 PM
Huh. I wouldn't have picked a Celestial Pact for a tiefling.

I prefer the flexibility of Tome-locks, since they can become ritual casters, which really helps you cast spells between combat without worrying about using up your few slots but an argument could be made for Chain.

I thought the contrast would be fun! Also we needed a healer.

That tome does sound good, but we have a wizard so would it still be useful? Why chain?or why not blade (my one worry is that I have no use for my 17 dex which blade does but also we do have a barbarian so it might not be needed)?

Also just popped into my head, what feats should I take?

ShikomeKidoMi
2017-07-04, 04:51 AM
Ah, if you have a wizard there is going to be a lot of overlap. Bladelock usually lags behind just using Eldritch Blast unless you incoprorate some of the more recent UA stuff.

There's lots of good feats, depending on what you want to do: Inspiring Leader, Resilient (Constitution), and Warcaster are all useful. Spell Sniper's not bad if your enemies use cover a lot.

rbstr
2017-07-04, 08:56 AM
Inspiring Leader is going to overlap with your level 10 feature pretty hard. I dono if I'd do that unless you're pretty sure you won't get there.

Your Wizard really has the Tome benefits covered. Unless you feel the need to pick up some utility cantrips, I'd probably go Chain or Blade. Chain is fun IMO, the UA adds a neat invocation too.
It sounds like you'll want to take all the healing bonus spells from Celestial. That patron is like heaing+blasting in terms of bonus spells.
You only have one front-liner. Might be good to have a blade build to shore that up. Bladelocks can still have great ranged damage.

For chain, besides the healing spells, I'd try to eventually pick up battlefield control (given you're with an Evoker) with maybe just Burning Hands for blasting until you get Flame Strike.

Your stats are plenty good for really focusing on bladelock if you think you'd like that. IMO the style would be to pop Armor of Agathys and get in there swinging. The idea is that you kinda want to get hit to set off the AoA damage. You can reapply AoA or chuck another spell. I wouldn't take much in the way of concentration spells.
Level 1
Cantrips: take EB and Green-flame or Booming Blade. (I like Green Flame since it's at-will AOE. Even after you get extra attack it is worthwhile against two enemies)
Spells Armor of Agathys, Cure Wounds.
Level 2: Burning Hands. (Or even Arms of Hadar)
Invocations: Agonizing Blast and whatever again (getting rid of this right away)
Level 3: Lesser Restoration, Blade Boon (Use rapier, or, if you DM will let you make two weapons, you could dual-wield) change that invo to Improved Pact Weapon
Level 4: Defensive Duelist might be good, or sentinel, or just pump dex for now (If you decided to use hex, warcaster would be good, otherwise you don't have much for concentration spells anyway). Moderately Armored would get you a shield. Mirror Image is great for defense if you don't want to get hit, Misty Step might be good, Hold Person. New cantrip!
Level 5: Thirsting Blade for extra attack! You could pick the Smite invocation. I'm not sure I'd get that much use of it, given the other spell options you have. Tomb of Levistus could be a panic button, there are several useful utility invos to look at. Pick up revivify. You could swap a spell for something like Hunger of Hadar.

Dalebert
2017-07-04, 11:09 AM
I recommend you read a recent post of mine before making any decisions.

Imps are better than you thought (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?529236-Imps-are-better-than-you-thought)

Harrysonford
2017-08-03, 12:58 PM
Pact of the chain is really good when paired with gift of the everliving ones (invocation from UA) it really boosts your self healing, which is good, since the healer should probably stay up. Keep a good balance of utility and damage spells, but don't use damage spells too often.

Rebonack
2017-08-03, 02:40 PM
If you're going to be the party healer, go Pact of the Chain and pick up an Imp. Fluff it as a celestial Imp. Like a tiny cherubim. Y'know, those things with too many wings, eyes, and faces.

Start with the Healing Elixir UA spell if you can get it. Use any downtime you have to burn spell slots on Elixirs since they last 24 hours. Equip your Imp with a bandoleer full of healing potions and have him flying around in combat keeping your buddies healthy whilst being invisible. If you can get the DM to allow you to use the Spellpoint variant for Warlock absolutely do it. Healing Elixir doesn't scale with spell level, so may as well cast it as a first level spell if you can. Use your healing touch class feature to keep people healthy between encounters. Do not waste action on Cure Wounds. In fact, don't even bother learning the spell. You're better off using your actions to Eldritch Blast things or lay down zone-control.

Pick up Inspiring Leader if no one else is getting it. Cha+Level Hp is nice for your party, but it is absolutely VITAL to protect your Imp from AoE damage.

Rfkannen
2017-08-03, 02:49 PM
Just saw this thread was brought back to life after I started a new one woops!

Heres the thread with the build I decided on, What do you think? Picked tome for story reason that happened in game, would have picked chain based off your advise if that hadn't happened!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?532350-How-does-this-level-4-build-look&p=22260748#post22260748