PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 How Many Ways Can a Wizard Take Over Earth At the Lowest Level Possible

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-01, 09:42 PM
If we dropped a Wizard in modern Earth, how many ways could she take over the world?

What's the lowest level she could accomplish her goal?

Assumptions:

- RAW, no limits.

- All magic functions on Earth

- Earth is considered to be the Material Plane for spells that require access to the Astral Plane/Ethereal, ect.

- D20 Modern/Future stats for Earth's various technologies and devices. Edit: For interacting with the Wizard, behave as normal otherwise

- Terrans can't cast magic, gain levels, and are limited to 5 HD or less. Edit: Treat as a commoner where HD = level

Edit: D&D doesn't exist on Earth in this scenario; that leads to too much meta weirdness.

How many ways can the Wizard conquer the Earth?

Every time a new method is suggested, I'll edit it into the OP.

1. LVL 1: Becoming Pun Pun (mine as well get that one out of the way first)
2. LVL 1: Shadow/Wight Apocalypse.
3. LVL 13?: Becoming a Digital Overlord and hacking the world's computers.
4. LVL 8: Chain Gating Solars and conquering everything.
5. LVL 9: Replacing the world's leaders with Simulacrums or using Simulacrums to take over.
6. LVL 10: Using Necrotic tumor/Monstrous Thrall on all world leaders.
7. LVL 15: Use Demand to potentially control leaders from a distance.
8. LVL 9: can use Greater Invisibility, Scrying, and Teleport to keep assassinating leaders, until they're replaced by compliant folks.
9. LVL 1: Cast Illusionary script on your hat then run for office. Anyone who sees your hat within the next 1 day per caster level and tries to read what's written on it has to pass a dc 17+ will save or be affected by a suggestion spell. [Gnome Illusionist with Precocious apprentice (Illusionary script)]
10. LVL 1: Candle of Invocation looping for infinite money, then just buy/bribe/everything everything in sight.
11. LVL 1: Infinite Energy
* Use unseen servant to make most simple machines obsolete.
* (LVL 9?) Use permanent gust of wind to make infinite wind energy.
* Use continual flame for infinite energy. Pure money maker. Convert light to electricity.
* Use cheat to win gambling events.
* Use prestidigitation to magically heat up stuff and steal stuff.
* Use invisibility to get in places where no one can and get money.
* Create Water plus Water to Acid (St) then sell the acid for nigh infinite wealth. *
* Same for Elation & Distilled Joy (BoED) and either selling the liquid ambrosia as a happiness drug or using it for craft xp.
* Use mage hand to.. you get the idea.
12. LVL 1: Use mending (a level 0 cantrip) to fix all broken equipment for free. Charge horrendous fees.
13. LVL 1: start a cult. Changing small items into other similar items would get one a big following.
Use magic to win the whatshisface prize for proving the paranormal, not so much for the $$$ but for the publicity.
14. LVL 3: Use chain of eyes or spymaster's coin to get info on super sensitive materials and become a master blackmailer or information broker.
15. LVL: 5 one could trigger a governance catastrophe / coup to secure one's power base by using Explosive Runes...
16. LVL 9: Teleport Through Time and take over via time travel.
17. LVL 1: Use Charm Person to take over via the power of friendship.

Edit: Inspired by this thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?528818-What-level-sorcerer-would-you-need-to-take-over-the-world)

Hackulator
2017-07-01, 09:44 PM
this is just an easy mode version of my thread.......

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-01, 09:45 PM
this is just an easy mode version of my thread.......

WhatThePhysics and I were talking about it, and it seem like a fun idea.

I'll link your thread in the OP, I meant to do that in the first place.

Hackulator
2017-07-01, 09:48 PM
WhatThePhysics and I were talking about it, and it seem like a fun idea.

I'll link your thread in the OP, I meant to do that in the first place.

Yeah its fine, I wasn't really thinking about the fact that it's narratively fun to think of all the easy ways you could do it just as much as its fun to think of ways with restrictions, but a different game.

Carry on, I'll try to think of an original option.

The REAL trick is to do it without enchantment.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-01, 09:51 PM
Yeah its fine, I wasn't really thinking about the fact that it's narratively fun to think of all the easy ways you could do it just as much as its fun to think of ways with restrictions, but a different game.

Carry on, I'll try to think of an original option.

The REAL trick is to do it without enchantment.

We'll have to see what people come up with.

On that note:

2. Shadow/Wight Apocalypse.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-07-01, 10:04 PM
The Wizard can her massive intelligence along with skill buffs to hack (I believe Hack is a skill in D20 modern) into anything in the world and rule as a digital overlord.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-01, 10:06 PM
The Wizard can her massive intelligence along with skill buffs to hack (I believe Hack is a skill in D20 modern) into anything in the world and rule as a digital overlord.

That's an interesting idea. I think the skill in question is Computer Use.

What sort of DC are looking at? I'm trying to add the level that the world is conquered along with the method.

I'll go head and add it anyway.

flappeercraft
2017-07-01, 10:07 PM
3. Chain gating solars and conquer everything
4. Simulacrum Efreet, Use wishes to replicate simulacrum to replace all world leaders
5. Necrotic tumor/Monstrous Thrall on all world leaders

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-01, 10:08 PM
3. Chain gating solars and conquer everything
4. Simulacrum Efreet, Use wishes to replicate simulacrum to replace all world leaders
5. Necrotic tumor/Monstrous Thrall on all world leaders

I'll add them to the list.

Edit: If you can accomplish them earlier than the level I posted, go and head and tell me.

We might want to limit Pazuzu cheese, though.

flappeercraft
2017-07-01, 10:18 PM
Necrotic tumor can be done earlier through a Dragonwrought Loredrake Grater draconic Rote Kobold at level 10. Level 7 with a beholder mage.

Chain gating can be done at low level through a candle of invocation or planar binding an efreet and wishing for a candle of invocation. By level 8 its possible as explained below

The Efreet one can be done early at level 8 through another Kobold like previously mentioned, casting Planar binding for an efreet and make that efreet make a simulacrum of itself.

Malroth
2017-07-02, 12:34 AM
shadow apocolapse is possible at lv1 with fell drain/Metamagic school focus/any damaging cantrip.

Malroth
2017-07-02, 12:47 AM
Another lv 1 build that could conquer the world at lv 1

Gnome Illusionist with Precocious apprentice (Illusionary script)

Cast Illusionary script on your hat then run for office. anyone who sees your hat within the next 1 day per caster level and tries to read what's written on it has to pass a dc 17+ will save or be affected by a suggestion spell.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-02, 11:42 AM
7. A 15th level Wizard can use Demand to potentially control leaders from a distance.

8. A 9th level Wizard can use Greater Invisibility, Scrying, and Teleport to keep assassinating leaders, until they're replaced by compliant folks.

Another lv 1 build that could conquer the world at lv 1

Gnome Illusionist with Precocious apprentice (Illusionary script)

Cast Illusionary script on your hat then run for office. anyone who sees your hat within the next 1 day per caster level and tries to read what's written on it has to pass a dc 17+ will save or be affected by a suggestion spell.

I'll add them in and update the old methods with the new lowest levels.

The Glyphstone
2017-07-02, 12:07 PM
Candle of Invocation looping for infinite money, then just buy/bribe/everything everything in sight.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-02, 12:09 PM
Candle of Invocation looping for infinite money, then just buy/bribe/everything everything in sight.

Sounds good. I guess you could get that at level 1, too.

logic_error
2017-07-02, 12:18 PM
Use continual flame for infinite energy. Pure money maker. Convert light to electricity.
Use unseen servant to make most simple machines obsolete.
Use permanent gust of wind to make infinite wind energy.
Use cheat to win gambling events.
Use prestidigitation to magically heat up stuff and steal stuff.
Use invisibility to get in places where no one can and get money.
use mage hand to.. you get the idea.
And no; camera won't catch you at it.

etc.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-02, 12:22 PM
Use continual flame for infinite energy. Pure money maker. Convert light to electricity.
Use unseen servant to make most simple machines obsolete.
Use permanent gust of wind to make infinite wind energy.

etc.

Should I just file that under infinite energy?

Jay R
2017-07-02, 12:22 PM
Looking over the things I could do if I were the only wizard in the world, I can't imagine why I would waste time on politics or conquest, or why I'd want to make law, deal with politicians, or perform any of the other aspects of ruling the world.

I can play better than anybody else in the world. Why would I choose to work?

You can do anything in the world you want, with anybody in the world you want, and you are choosing to spend all your time with the politicians, making laws. That's your cunning plan?

flappeercraft
2017-07-02, 12:25 PM
Should I just file that under infinite energy?

I would make it a subcategory and mark the ways to do it separately, but only a couple because after a while it will be too much to write down

Looking over the things I could do if I were the only wizard in the world, I can't imagine why I would waste time on politics or conquest, or why I'd want to make law, deal with politicians, or perform any of the other aspects of ruling the world.

I can play better than anybody else in the world. Why would I choose to work?

You can do anything in the world you want, with anybody in the world you want, and you are choosing to spend all your time with the politicians, making laws. That's your cunning plan?

Exactly, the moment you become a T1 caster is the moment laws no longer apply to you.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-07-02, 12:27 PM
We'll have to see what people come up with.

On that note:

2. Shadow/Wight Apocalypse.
That could DESTROY the world, but how does it let you RULE it?

logic_error
2017-07-02, 12:28 PM
Also, consider that most people in real life are at level 1. And have at the most 20 HP. Their will saves *suck*. hint hint.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-02, 12:33 PM
I would make it a subcategory and mark the ways to do it separately, but only a couple because after a while it will be too much to write down.

Got it.

That could DESTROY the world, but how does it let you RULE it?

Take over after everyone's dead. If you're a Lich, none of the undead can really hurt you.

Edit:

Also, consider that most people in real life are at level 1. And have at the most 20 HP. Their will saves *suck*. hint hint.

I'm honestly surprised no one's mention Dominate yet.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-07-02, 12:37 PM
Take over after everyone's dead. If you're a Lich, none of the undead can really hurt you.

If you're a Necropolitan you can do it even earlier.

logic_error
2017-07-02, 01:07 PM
Use mending (a level 0 cantrip) to fix all broken equipment for free. Charge horrendous fees. Is the supercomputer broken? Please step out of the room and give the expert 30 mins. Cast the spells and spend 30 mins on a nap.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-02, 01:20 PM
Use mending (a level 0 cantrip) to fix all broken equipment for free. Charge horrendous fees. Is the supercomputer broken? Please step out of the room and give the expert 30 mins. Cast the spells and spend 30 mins on a nap.

Sounds good, I'll add it to the list.

Hackulator
2017-07-02, 02:15 PM
Couple things, continual flame creates no heat so I doubt it creates meaningful amounts of energy.

Illusory script is just a 30 minute suggestion, I don't think you could do much with that.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-02, 02:17 PM
Couple things, continual flame creates no heat so I doubt it creates meaningful amounts of energy.

Because of course it doesn't. :smallsigh:

Illusory script is just a 30 minute suggestion, I don't think you could do much with that.

That depends on what the Suggestion is.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-07-02, 02:20 PM

The idea was to convert light into electricity, not heat.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-02, 02:24 PM

Right, I forgot about that.

Edit: Did you find the DC needed for the hacking thing?

Hackulator
2017-07-02, 03:12 PM

The total energy output of fire without any heat is pretty damn low. Given an approximate price of $20,000 per casting (50gp worth of ruby dust, 50gp equals one pound, one pound of gold costs just under $20k) I think the economics there are pretty questionable.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-07-02, 03:22 PM
The total energy output of fire without any heat is pretty damn low. Given an approximate price of $20,000 per casting (50gp worth of ruby dust, 50gp equals one pound, one pound of gold costs just under $20k) I think the economics there are pretty questionable.

Yes, but once you get it set up, INFINITE ENERGY B#$*&ES!

Edit: Did you find the DC needed for the hacking thing?

Here's the relevant information.Computer Use. (http://www.d20resources.com/modern.d20.srd/skills/computer.use.php)

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-02, 03:24 PM
Yes, but once you get it set up, INFINITE ENERGY B#$*&ES!

I think that alone would win you the Nobel Prize.

Here's the relevant information.Computer Use. (http://www.d20resources.com/modern.d20.srd/skills/computer.use.php)

Looks like DC 40 for the most heavily protected computers.

Gildedragon
2017-07-02, 10:26 PM
At 1+: start a cult. Changing small items into other similar items would get one a big following.
Use magic to win the whatshisface prize for proving the paranormal, not so much for the $$$ but for the publicity. You ain't a wizard but a holy man.
As one levels up one becomes capable of using the devoted legions quite effectively.

At lvl 3 one can use chain of eyes or spymaster's coin to get info on super sensitive materials. Even without a cult one could become a master blackmailer or information broker

At level 5 one could trigger a governance catastrophe / coup to secure one's power base by using Explosive Runes...

unseenmage
2017-07-03, 12:19 AM
My two favorite early level money making schemes require Cleric spells. Which I had to go double check because I use them when I play Artificers. :smallannoyed:

If researching custom spells is allowed then use Wizard custom spell versions of the cleric spells in thd following.

Create Water plus Water to Acid (St) then sell the acid for nigh infinite wealth.
Same for Elation & Distilled Joy (BoED) and either selling the liquid ambrosia as a happiness drug or using it for craft xp.

Putting either set of spells into a Spellsong Nightingale (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070115a), Runic Guardian, Spell Clock (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070312a), Spell Turret (DMG2) or repeating magic trap automates part of the process.
Putting the spells into Energy Transfirmation Fields (SC) could work too, esp if the wizard has any unlimited use Su abilities.

Alternatively, if custom spells arent allowed, there is a summon that casts as a 12th lvl cleric, the Firre Eladrin. Spamming that summon and having it use the above spell combos works too. This requires summon mon 9 though.

Has epic magic been mentioned yet? Or was it disallowed in the OP and I missed it?

Another thought, the Mirror Mephit has at will Simulacrum SLA and, as a mephit, qualifies for Improved Familiar IIRC. Unlimited, cumulative Mirror Mephit Simulacrums alone could take over the world in fairly short order.

Edit: Utilize the Teleport Through Time (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b&pf=true) spell and/or Create Time Portal (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030416b&pf=true) feat to win at all of the gambling including that very special form of gambling we like to call 'electing our leaders democratically'. Eschew Materials the material component.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-03, 09:05 AM
Has epic magic been mentioned yet? Or was it disallowed in the OP and I missed it?

It's not banned, but no one has brought it up yet.

Another thought, the Mirror Mephit has at will Simulacrum SLA and, as a mephit, qualifies for Improved Familiar IIRC. Unlimited, cumulative Mirror Mephit Simulacrums alone could take over the world in fairly short order.

Someone more or less suggested use Simulacrums to impersonate world leaders. I'll append that scheme with this one. I'll add the other ideas in a minute.

Tainted_Scholar
2017-07-03, 09:10 AM
Edit: Utilize the Teleport Through Time (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b&pf=true) spell and/or Create Time Portal (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030416b&pf=true) feat to win at all of the gambling including that very special form of gambling we like to call 'electing our leaders democratically'. Eschew Materials the material component.

Or you could go back to the dawn of civilization and rule over humanity as a god emperor.

unseenmage
2017-07-03, 10:11 AM
Or you could go back to the dawn of civilization and rule over humanity as a god emperor.

That being the joke, yeah. Sorry my snarkasm doesnt translate as well through the interwebs. :smallsmile:
After limitless time travel options open up one imagines being a god wizard is truly power on easy mode.

I keep trying to find a way to use the Time Apotheosis ability of the Time Dragon from Dragon Magazine instead but using the Teleport Through Time spell is just easier.

zyggythorn
2017-07-03, 05:32 PM
Lv 1: via Create Food and Water, start a religion. At appx 1 million followers, apotheosis using the rules set forth in Deities and Demigods

flappeercraft
2017-07-03, 05:47 PM
Oh another way, use magic to make people think you're god of some big religion like Catholicism and you have most people in the world under your absolute command

Sam K
2017-07-04, 04:38 AM
Level 1, charm person.

Ruling the world as god-emperor is a lot of work. Ruling the world by dropping hints to Donny, Vlad, Jin and Elon during your weekly game of D&D is a lot easier. AND Jin brings awesome Chinese food when it's his turn to bring the snacks!

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-04, 11:02 AM
Level 1, charm person.

Ruling the world as god-emperor is a lot of work. Ruling the world by dropping hints to Donny, Vlad, Jin and Elon during your weekly game of D&D is a lot easier. AND Jin brings awesome Chinese food when it's his turn to bring the snacks!

I'll add it to the list.

unseenmage
2017-07-04, 01:26 PM
In Power of Faerun in the clergy chapter it explains at some point that one Diplomacy check will get someone to attend a religious service then another will convert them to your religion.

Makes it really straightforward for a Diplomancer to either a) head up their own religion or b) attain deity status via gathering believers (if that's how it works in your gameworld).