PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Grappling Question

Goaty14
2017-07-01, 09:55 PM
Whatever next campaign I play; I want to play a Master of Many Forms

Regardless of that, my question is: Is there a size limit for what kind of creatures you can/can't grapple? I could've sworn it was within 1 size category (so a med. could only do large, med, or small), or I must be imagining things

IF it is only within 1 size category, why are there grappling bonuses by size, wouldn't there just be a +4, 0, -4 bonus to size compared to your opponent? EDIT: Except for using really high numbers.

ViperMagnum357
2017-07-01, 11:12 PM
There are no restrictions on size for initiating a grapple-a Pixie can try to grapple a Colossal+ True Dragon if they thought it was a good idea. What you might have mixed up are the rules for Snatch and Improved Grab, which are keyed to size for initiating a grapple. Snatch must target something 3 sizes smaller, Improved Snatch is 2 sizes smaller, and Improved Grab is default 1 size smaller-though that can be different for specific creatures; a creature with the Voidmind Template can use Improved Grab with its tentacle to grapple something the same size or smaller-one category larger than the default most others are stuck with.

Gruftzwerg
2017-07-02, 01:13 AM
As said, no restrictions for grapple, just penalties. I guess you twisted it with Bull Rush which strangely has the limit of max 1 size bigger. You would think the the other way (that grappling is limited and bull rush would just use penalties) but it is as it is.

Necroticplague
2017-07-02, 05:36 AM
Whatever next campaign I play; I want to play a Master of Many Forms

Regardless of that, my question is: Is there a size limit for what kind of creatures you can/can't grapple? I could've sworn it was within 1 size category (so a med. could only do large, med, or small), or I must be imagining things

IF it is only within 1 size category, why are there grappling bonuses by size, wouldn't there just be a +4, 0, -4 bonus to size compared to your opponent? EDIT: Except for using really high numbers.
Actually, it's two sizes above.

Step 3
Hold. Make an opposed grapple check as a free action.
If you succeed, you and your target are now grappling, and you deal damage to the target as if with an unarmed strike.
If you lose, you fail to start the grapple. You automatically lose an attempt to hold if the target is two or more size categories larger than you are.
In case of a tie, the combatant with the higher grapple check modifier wins. If this is a tie, roll again to break the tie.

As for your last question: while you may not be able to start a grapple against people too big, you can be grappled by them, and need to roll grapple to escape. It's easier to just have universal size bonuses than relative ones.

Goaty14
2017-07-02, 11:42 AM
Actually, it's two sizes above.

As for your last question: while you may not be able to start a grapple against people too big, you can be grappled by them, and need to roll grapple to escape. It's easier to just have universal size bonuses than relative ones.

So just to get it right, if I am medium and my target is huge, then he can grapple him, but I can only grapple him to escape. If I am a colossal red dragon, I can grapple any creature of any size, right?

ViperMagnum357
2017-07-02, 01:55 PM
^Kind of-a medium sized character could inititiate a grapple with anyone, but a huge or larger sized opponent grappled automatically breaks free after the initial grapple check, and you make the first opposed grapple check thereafter-that is, you cannot hold them for more than a single round, and they are free to move off or grapple you right back. You need feats, magic items, or class features to punch more than one category above your size, hence most grappling builds are built around getting to effective gargantuan size.