PDA

View Full Version : Horde Breaking with a Pike

Jallorn
2017-07-02, 02:04 AM
So for a character who is multiclassing Ranger/Barbarian, I discovered what I think could be a really fun Str Ranger build: Great Weapon Master, Horde Breaker, and a Pike. It does somewhat less damage per target than, say, a greatsword, but when you crit or drop an enemy, you get a free attack and a bonus action attack, which could potentially trigger more free attacks, and that bonus action attack can be against anyone in your (larger) reach.

Thoughts?

Some additional thoughts and considerations: this is also pretty great with polearm master. In fact, I might call that a better first feat choice.

The Ship's dog
2017-07-02, 03:13 AM
I have in fact played this exact build, except using the Revised Ranger Underdark Scout to get advantage on attacks in the first round of combat as well as an extra attack. I was doing about 20 damage per swing with Hunter's Mark. If I lost Concentration then I would pop Rage and attack with Reckless Attack.

It was a lot of fun.

Coranhann
2017-07-02, 06:56 PM
Horde breaker being "Once on each of your turns when you make a weapon attack, you...", you could go with that build, but you would only get one free attack in total. Which is still awesome. Having a huge reach making it easier to hit a target 5' from your target and within you reach, you design a valid combo :).

JackOfAllBuilds
2017-07-03, 07:44 PM
Horde breaker being "Once on each of your turns when you make a weapon attack, you...", you could go with that build, but you would only get one free attack in total. Which is still awesome. Having a huge reach making it easier to hit a target 5' from your target and within you reach, you design a valid combo :).

AND Great Weapon Master bonus action attack for slaying an enemy or getting a critical hit.