PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Paladin/Sorcerer - Storm King's Thunder

pesnfid
2017-07-02, 03:08 AM
Hey everyone! A few of my pals and I are playing the Storm King's Thunder adventure (PCs cap out at level 10) and I'm a fairly new player. My PC is a Feral (+2 Dexterity) Winged Tiefling Paladin who follows the Oath of Vengeance path and is level 4. My DM dropped hints around for us and said that this campaign isn't based around fighting spellcasters (eliminating the need for saves) and that facing giants is going to be far more commonplace.

Currently I'm a Sword 'n Board paladin with the Dueling fighting style, utilizing a rapier (finesse weapon) and small shield (+1 AC) since my DM isn't allowing me to use a normal shield if I want to fly around. The feat I took is Mobile since I figured Sentinel would be pretty useless against giants, while Mobile would allow me to be a flying nuisance and force them to utilize ranged attacks instead of melee attacks against me.

I rolled my stats pretty well and they are as follows: Strength 13, Dexterity 20, Constitution 15, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 12, Charisma 18. I have 17 AC with studded leather armor and the shield (which I basically always have out).

I want to multiclass into a sorcerer if possible, but a huge amount of guides look at characters from the perspective of levels 1-20, which is a problem because Storm King's Thunder limits players to levels 1-10. I'm stuck deciding between what type of sorcerer I should become if I multiclass. Currently, I'm looking at Draconic and Shadow but I'm open to any suggestions.

If I've left out any valuable/need-to-know information, please respond and I'll make sure to tell you what you need to know! Thanks!!

Gastronomie
2017-07-02, 05:15 AM
So I heard you're interested in playing a Paladin/Sorcerer...

If you're talking about not needing Aura of Protection, well, that's not really always true. Just because there's no spellcasters, a lot of monsters require dangerous saves, so it's too fast to say you don't need it. That said, if you want to play a Sorcadin, taking too many Paladin levels can make you less Caster-y, so here it's a matter of personal preference.
Speaking of which, if the level caps at 10, I would have honestly suggested ending Paladin at level 2, but what's done is done. Besides, optimization is not required at all to build an effective character. There is no need to look back, it's still gonna be good.
Optimization-wise, Draconic will not be a very good idea for you, because for Sorcerer Levels 1 to 5, all it will give combat-wise is a +1 bonus to your AC and +1 HP per level. Only at Sorcerer Level 6 does it give you that sweet Elemental Affinity, +4 or +5 damage to all your Green-Flame Blades and Fireballs, but that's your level maximum for the campaign - meaning that, for most of your career, you will not have access to it.
Compared to which, Shadow is awesome from the very first level you take. It's honestly bad design and will be probably nerfed if it gets to print, but if your DM allows UA and all the players are okay with it, sure, go take it. Zombie-esque resurrection and Darkness herp-derping is in no way a force to be reckoned with. (In the games I DM, I nerf it.)
However, ultimately, it's about "which you think suits your character more". Personally I would go Draconic in this campaign, even if Shadow is obviously the better option optimization-wise. Only, I will ask my DM, "is it possible to have some Dragons appear somewhere in the campaign, and take part in the fight against the Giants?" There's FR lore about how the Dragons and Giants have been engaged in a war in the far past, and it wouldn't be surprising if you can get a group of Dragons on your side to assist humanity in this new conflict. I don't know how much I can connect a Shadow Sorcerer to a scenario involving Giants, but with Dragons, it's much easier. If I were the DM I'd give a thumbs-up to the player and start planning.

tl;dr: Go Shadow if you wanna be strong, go Dragon if you think your DM can be nice and connect dragons to the story

For more specific info on Sorcadins, I think my sig will do.

Hope you enjoy playing it~ :3

EvilAnagram
2017-07-02, 08:01 AM
Honestly, the big Sorcadin draw is the extra slots, and that's just not a big draw when you'll be long resting every two to three encounters.

Only, I will ask my DM, "is it possible to have some Dragons appear somewhere in the campaign, and take part in the fight against the Giants?" There's FR lore about how the Dragons and Giants have been engaged in a war in the far past, and it wouldn't be surprising if you can get a group of Dragons on your side to assist humanity in this new conflict. I don't know how much I can connect a Shadow Sorcerer to a scenario involving Giants, but with Dragons, it's much easier. If I were the DM I'd give a thumbs-up to the player and start planning.

No spoilers, but this is very much not how this campaign works. That specific suggestion just does not work with this story because of spoilers.

mephnick
2017-07-02, 08:08 AM
Honestly, the big Sorcadin draw is the extra slots, and that's just not a big draw when you'll be long resting every two to three encounters.

Yeah, SKT really should have been based around the long rest variant or changed completely. Like 3/4s of the game is single encounters per day that you can freely nova with zero consequences, unless the DM decides he wants to be playing SKT for five years.

Gastronomie
2017-07-02, 10:13 AM
No spoilers, but this is very much not how this campaign works. That specific suggestion just does not work with this story because of spoilers.Ah, well, ignore that part of my post then. Don't know the campaign well, never played it myself.

pesnfid
2017-07-02, 12:30 PM
So I heard you're interested in playing a Paladin/Sorcerer...

If you're talking about not needing Aura of Protection, well, that's not really always true. Just because there's no spellcasters, a lot of monsters require dangerous saves, so it's too fast to say you don't need it. That said, if you want to play a Sorcadin, taking too many Paladin levels can make you less Caster-y, so here it's a matter of personal preference.
Speaking of which, if the level caps at 10, I would have honestly suggested ending Paladin at level 2, but what's done is done. Besides, optimization is not required at all to build an effective character. There is no need to look back, it's still gonna be good.
Optimization-wise, Draconic will not be a very good idea for you, because for Sorcerer Levels 1 to 5, all it will give combat-wise is a +1 bonus to your AC and +1 HP per level. Only at Sorcerer Level 6 does it give you that sweet Elemental Affinity, +4 or +5 damage to all your Green-Flame Blades and Fireballs, but that's your level maximum for the campaign - meaning that, for most of your career, you will not have access to it.
Compared to which, Shadow is awesome from the very first level you take. It's honestly bad design and will be probably nerfed if it gets to print, but if your DM allows UA and all the players are okay with it, sure, go take it. Zombie-esque resurrection and Darkness herp-derping is in no way a force to be reckoned with. (In the games I DM, I nerf it.)
However, ultimately, it's about "which you think suits your character more". Personally I would go Draconic in this campaign, even if Shadow is obviously the better option optimization-wise. Only, I will ask my DM, "is it possible to have some Dragons appear somewhere in the campaign, and take part in the fight against the Giants?" There's FR lore about how the Dragons and Giants have been engaged in a war in the far past, and it wouldn't be surprising if you can get a group of Dragons on your side to assist humanity in this new conflict. I don't know how much I can connect a Shadow Sorcerer to a scenario involving Giants, but with Dragons, it's much easier. If I were the DM I'd give a thumbs-up to the player and start planning.

tl;dr: Go Shadow if you wanna be strong, go Dragon if you think your DM can be nice and connect dragons to the story

For more specific info on Sorcadins, I think my sig will do.

Hope you enjoy playing it~ :3

Thanks for the help! I've read your guide before and I thought it was great + the Fate/stay night references made it even better! :smallbiggrin:

pesnfid
2017-07-02, 12:31 PM

Yeah, SKT really should have been based around the long rest variant or changed completely. Like 3/4s of the game is single encounters per day that you can freely nova with zero consequences, unless the DM decides he wants to be playing SKT for five years.

So do you guys think it would actually damper my effectiveness if I attempted to multiclass at this point? That's what I gathered but I just want to be sure.

Coidzor
2017-07-02, 05:21 PM
One thing to bear in mind is that giants' ranged attacks are also pretty devastating if they hit, so you'll still want to find a way to get some extra defense if you want them concentrating attacks on you and to either have ways or have allies who have ways to lock them down so you don't have to fight a whole mess of giants simultaneously but can instead face them in at least some sort of sequential order.

EvilAnagram
2017-07-02, 06:09 PM
So do you guys think it would actually damper my effectiveness if I attempted to multiclass at this point? That's what I gathered but I just want to be sure.

Honestly? Yeah, I think you'll be less effective. Having decent saves, higher health, and better smite spells will be more advantageous. Granted, if you grab five levels of sorcerer then you'll be able to Haste and Mirror Image yourself, but I would wager you'll be less effective overall if you go with the multiclass over the single class.

pesnfid
2017-07-02, 07:13 PM
One thing to bear in mind is that giants' ranged attacks are also pretty devastating if they hit, so you'll still want to find a way to get some extra defense if you want them concentrating attacks on you and to either have ways or have allies who have ways to lock them down so you don't have to fight a whole mess of giants simultaneously but can instead face them in at least some sort of sequential order.

Alrighty! Thanks for the advice. Giants are well.. Giants, so I'll make sure to take what you said into consideration and not recklessly try to tank their hits without any planning whatsoever.

pesnfid
2017-07-02, 07:15 PM
Honestly? Yeah, I think you'll be less effective. Having decent saves, higher health, and better smite spells will be more advantageous. Granted, if you grab five levels of sorcerer then you'll be able to Haste and Mirror Image yourself, but I would wager you'll be less effective overall if you go with the multiclass over the single class.

Sorry if this is too sudden a change, but do you think that multiclassing as a whole is pointless in this campaign where the level range is limited or would I perhaps be fine trying out a Paladin/Fighter multiclass? Again, sorry if this is sorta random!

EvilAnagram
2017-07-03, 07:24 AM
Sorry if this is too sudden a change, but do you think that multiclassing as a whole is pointless in this campaign where the level range is limited or would I perhaps be fine trying out a Paladin/Fighter multiclass? Again, sorry if this is sorta random!

Multiclass involving as a whole isn't a terrible idea, but a paladin/sorcerer takes a few levels to really impress, and even then it's only impressive if you have a lot of encounters/day.

A fighter dip wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

pesnfid
2017-07-03, 03:36 PM
Multiclass involving as a whole isn't a terrible idea, but a paladin/sorcerer takes a few levels to really impress, and even then it's only impressive if you have a lot of encounters/day.

A fighter dip wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Thanks! I think I'm just going to go Paladin 6/Fighter 4 so I can get aura of protection at Paladin level 6 and the ability score improvement from going to the 4th level of Fighter. May switch it up and do Paladin 7/Fighter 3 so I can get an extra 2nd level spell slot for Smite and go 3rd level Fighter for Battlemaster maneuvers.