PDA

View Full Version : "Help me Find _____!" Thread

Belac93
2017-07-02, 12:25 PM
So, I recently had an idea for a thread: there are a lot of people out there who ask 'has anyone heard of an RPG like ____?' or 'I'm looking for an RPG I played a long time ago, but can't remember the name of it!'

So, this is a thread to help with that. Whether it's an RPG you want to find again, or even a type of game you want to play (e.g: 'anyone have a good system for comedic fantasy?'), then this is the place to come! (satisfaction not guaranteed).

Malimar
2017-07-02, 01:03 PM
I've heard that Pendragon and Ars Magica have time passing much faster than other RPGs, with ten years between adventures for the former (leading to you get older and older and then you switch to your heir) and the latter operating by seasons (I don't know how accurate this hearsay is, and I might easily be misremembering it).

Are there any other RPGs that are fundamentally built around dynastic play (like Crusader Kings, but with less grand strategy and more RPG) -- play a character, then their heir, then that character's heir, and so on?

Koo Rehtorb
2017-07-02, 01:06 PM
You play Pendragon by the year, not the decade.

Malimar
2017-07-02, 01:22 PM
You play Pendragon by the year, not the decade.
That just makes it even less what I'm looking for, then.

Belac93
2017-07-02, 02:18 PM
I've heard that Pendragon and Ars Magica have time passing much faster than other RPGs, with ten years between adventures for the former (leading to you get older and older and then you switch to your heir) and the latter operating by seasons (I don't know how accurate this hearsay is, and I might easily be misremembering it).

Are there any other RPGs that are fundamentally built around dynastic play (like Crusader Kings, but with less grand strategy and more RPG) -- play a character, then their heir, then that character's heir, and so on?

Hero's banner is designed for multi-generational play, where each character is only supposed to last a session, and their next character is a descendant or trainee. That might be what you're looking for.

Malimar
2017-07-02, 03:21 PM
Hero's banner is designed for multi-generational play, where each character is only supposed to last a session, and their next character is a descendant or trainee. That might be what you're looking for.
Ooooh, that does sound promising!

Cealocanth
2017-07-04, 12:54 AM
Anyone know of a rules light system that works well for comedic games? I've looked at Savage Worlds, but found it too violent and rules heavy for this, as well as Toon, which has way too much emphasis on the slapstick. Pretty much the only reason we aren't playing 'just make it up as you go' is because that leads to power creep and balance issues.

Belac93
2017-07-04, 10:52 AM
Anyone know of a rules light system that works well for comedic games? I've looked at Savage Worlds, but found it too violent and rules heavy for this, as well as Toon, which has way too much emphasis on the slapstick. Pretty much the only reason we aren't playing 'just make it up as you go' is because that leads to power creep and balance issues.

Risus is a good, flexible one, and it's free online. (Link. (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/170294)) Your character is made up of 'cliches,' which define what they can do. In combat (social or physical), your cliches get harmed. There are also rules about challenging people to challenges they are not suited for gives them bonus dice (a cornered hairdresser is deadly!).

'Roll for Shoes' is likewise free online. (Link. (http://story-games.com/forums/discussion/11348/microdungeons-i-roll-to-see-if-i-have-shoes-on/)) It's a very simple d6 system, which can end up with very odd skill trees (1 dice for doing anything, 2 dice for looking for things, 3 dice for looking for things in couch cushions). I've had some hilarious games with it.