PDA

View Full Version : What's a norker?

Sniccups
2017-07-02, 12:39 PM
So in comic 1038, Oona refers to "norkers and nilbogs" as goblinoid species. I know what a nilbog is (it's in the 5e Volo's Guide, but that might be a different thing than what Oona means) but i have never heard of a norker. So what is it?

FreddyNoNose
2017-07-02, 12:57 PM
A norker is about a buck fifty a pound.

Cazero
2017-07-02, 01:05 PM
Probably an orc-ier goblin.

Dr.Samurai
2017-07-02, 01:23 PM
Here you go. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norker)

Sniccups
2017-07-02, 05:57 PM
Thanks. I had been wondering about that for a while.

Emanick
2017-07-02, 06:24 PM
Regarding the nilbog - it has a slightly longer and less (or more, depending on your point of view) illustrious history (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut2PPbnb0ZA) than being just another 5e monster. :smalltongue:

For further reference, I cannot recommend Troll 2 highly enough.

littlebum2002
2017-07-03, 11:05 AM
For further reference, I cannot recommend Troll 2 highly enough.

I must agree, as well as point out that, for those not in the know, the movie "Troll 2" is neither a sequel nor about trolls.

Darth Paul
2017-07-03, 11:29 AM
I thought "norkers" were that species native to New York?

Did we do that one already?

Morty
2017-07-03, 11:50 AM
Old D&D just couldn't get enough of interchangeable, conveniently evil, weak humanoids, could it.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-07-03, 04:19 PM
Well, no one had invented templates yet.

KorvinStarmast
2017-07-05, 05:17 PM
Old D&D just couldn't get enough of interchangeable, conveniently evil, weak humanoids, could it.

Not Old D&D, AD&D first edition.

2D8HP
2017-07-06, 01:40 AM

I often refer to the haphazard mix of oD&D, supplements, '77 Basic, AD&D, and third party stuff, that I played from '78 to around '85 as just"old D&D", but since your an "OG", I get why you remind folks of the distintion (it likewise likewise my gears when people refer to WotC 3e as "old D&D").

Cazero
2017-07-06, 02:35 AM
You know what's sad? My godawful pun was just about right.

lenon3579
2017-07-06, 05:57 AM
"They raid and steal from other humanoids, being too lazy to do their own hunting."

Huh

I guess that hunting other humanoids (ergo "raid and steal") is more tiring and dangerous than hunting animals for food. I really don't think laziness is a justificative good enough.

Like, "I'm too lazy to learn a trade and find a job. So I'll just hack people around instead because I'm lazy". No, man, you're not lazy. Mastering the skills needed to hack effectively is something one won't learn if he's lazy.

Morty
2017-07-06, 06:35 AM

I often refer to the haphazard mix of oD&D, supplements, '77 Basic, AD&D, and third party stuff, that I played from '78 to around '85 as just"old D&D", but since your an "OG", I get why you remind folks of the distintion (it likewise likewise my gears when people refer to WotC 3e as "old D&D").

Yes. If it came out in 1977, it's still old, even if it's not named this way.

"They raid and steal from other humanoids, being too lazy to do their own hunting."

Huh

I guess that hunting other humanoids (ergo "raid and steal") is more tiring and dangerous than hunting animals for food. I really don't think laziness is a justificative good enough.

Like, "I'm too lazy to learn a trade and find a job. So I'll just hack people around instead because I'm lazy". No, man, you're not lazy. Mastering the skills needed to hack effectively is something one won't learn if he's lazy.

If they just hunted, the adventurers wouldn't have a reason to go in, murder them and take their stuff.

hamishspence
2017-07-06, 06:45 AM

Huh

I guess that hunting other humanoids (ergo "raid and steal") is more tiring and dangerous than hunting animals for food.

The idea is that they're kleptoparasites - like skuas or frigate birds - they lie in wait for hunters, and rob them (attack in their sleep and make off with the hunters' prey, hold the hunters up at knife-point, and so forth).

martianmister
2017-07-06, 10:10 AM
So, they're basically Hyenas of popular culture, stealing from other hunters intead of hunting themselves?

You know what's sad? My godawful pun was just about right.

Reality is unrealistic.

anonynos
2017-07-06, 10:35 AM

3e came out 17 years and 2 editions ago... it's not exactly new anymore.

Rogar Demonblud
2017-07-06, 10:58 AM
If they just hunted, the adventurers wouldn't have a reason to go in, murder them and take their stuff.

Unfortunately, having green skin and fangs is reason enough for most of the people I've gamed with. Which is a disturbingly large number, since I used to make GenCon every year.

Chronos
2017-07-08, 01:06 PM
Quoth martianmister:

So, they're basically Hyenas of popular culture, stealing from other hunters intead of hunting themselves?

More like the lions, really. Lions steal from hyenas more often than the reverse.

St Fan
2017-07-08, 02:26 PM
I've said it before, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20854246&postcount=293) and I'll say it again...

... we get a mention in-comic of Norkers and Nilbog of all creatures... but nothing about Bakemono or Goblin Rats! That's just unfair.

hamishspence
2017-07-08, 03:12 PM
Lions steal from hyenas more often than the reverse.

Hence the "of popular culture" bit.