PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else wonder why no robes are included in 5e's equipment sets?

CrackedChair
2017-07-02, 02:09 PM
I planned on making a wizard, but no background, nor does the wizard itself include any robes. This peeves me cause I really wanted to have robes on the account that no other clothes would fit her other than very loose, and large robes.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-02, 02:11 PM
Actually yeah i was wondering about this

Scots Dragon
2017-07-02, 02:20 PM
Pretty much all backgrounds include a 'set of common clothes'. You can pretty much just say that the clothes in question are robes.

Theoboldi
2017-07-02, 02:21 PM
Is there anything in the PHB that actually describes what the various options for clothes have to look like? I'm pretty sure there isn't, since I cannot find anything on it.

As such, what exactly the clothes you get from your background are just comes down to description. A set of large, loose robes could easily be covered under common or fine clothes. It's not like there's any specific options to buy vests or coats or hats either.

sir_argo
2017-07-02, 02:23 PM
I planned on making a wizard, but no background, nor does the wizard itself include any robes. This peeves me cause I really wanted to have robes on the account that no other clothes would fit her other than very loose, and large robes.

No class starting equipment includes clothes. Barbarian starting equipment does not include, fur clothing. Clerical starting equipment does not include, religious vestments. So a wizard not getting a robe as part of starting equipment is normal. You do get clothing from your chosen background. Note that this could lead to some odd combinations. If you're a Rogue and you take the Acolyte background, you get vestments. Somewhat odd for a Rogue. If your Rogue takes the Entertainer background, he's sneaking around the shadows in a costume. The clothing the backgrounds give you is what is normal for that background. There really isn't a background specific for wizard, so I don't find it unusual that none include a robe. Remember, though, that the pre-made backgrounds are just samples (PHB p.125, "The sample backgrounds in this chapter..."). Custom backgrounds are not supposed to be optional. Unless your DM homebrews them out, a custom background can be tailored to fit your character... and you can choose robe as the starting clothing.

Scots Dragon
2017-07-02, 02:35 PM
You could and probably should adjust to combine background and class in your descriptions of what those clothes actually are. The entertainer-rogue is dressed in the clothes of a knife-thrower or acrobat. The acolyte-rogue is dressed in muted, dark vestments.

The entertainer-barbarian on the other hand would be dressed as a gladiator or strongman. The acolyte-barbarian as a tribal shaman of sorts with fetishes from whatever beast cult they might worship.

Sir cryosin
2017-07-02, 02:35 PM

Do you need to put down on your sheet one rode? If you want your level 1 wizard to walk around butt naked then have him walk around butt naked. If he is wearing a thong and a open vest go ahead. Its your character tell us what he's wearing.

I do believe that in the selection of the book we're you can buy things like ropes, tinderbox, you can buy common and fine, traveling clothes.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-02, 02:41 PM
Lol drow wizard bladesinger with an entertainers background. Im in a costume.than armor than later back to the costume.what should it be.what should my costume hmmmm

Sigreid
2017-07-02, 03:43 PM
I'm with those that believe they just grouped all the clothes into broad categories and let you have the specifics be whatever you want.

JackPhoenix
2017-07-02, 03:54 PM
Fun fact: Robes actually have separate entry on equipment table, different from rest of the clothes

But yes, class entries give only equipment needed for the class itself, other stuff useful for actual characters come from background or bought from equipment section.

CrackedChair
2017-07-02, 04:17 PM
I was asking cause my character is severely Obese, and most clothes will not fit her. I am still trying to find some historic fine clothes that would fit somebody of her frame.

For reference, she is 430 lbs and is 5'5" so a lot of clothes will definitely not fit her. Any historic clothes from Europe that could fit her?

sir_argo
2017-07-02, 04:18 PM
Lol drow wizard bladesinger with an entertainers background. Im in a costume.than armor than later back to the costume.what should it be.what should my costume hmmmm

An Eldar Harlequin

http://img08.deviantart.net/e035/i/2010/153/4/8/eldar__harlequins_by_yuliapw.jpg

Potato_Priest
2017-07-02, 04:18 PM
The classic wizard background(sage) doesn't give you robes either. It does, however, start with a little cash, and robes are cheap.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-02, 04:22 PM
An Eldar Harlequin

http://img08.deviantart.net/e035/i/2010/153/4/8/eldar__harlequins_by_yuliapw.jpg

Good choice

Drackolus
2017-07-02, 04:56 PM
I rarely use starting equipment myself. Partially because I juat gotta have two daggers. I consider it crucial.

SaurOps
2017-07-02, 05:15 PM
What about wizard hats?

Vaz
2017-07-02, 05:25 PM
I had a naked Dwarf Hawk Totem Barbarian who wore literally no clothes, and his Ring of Featherfall was actually a prince albert piercing. He literally helicoptered himself into a close approximation of flight.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-02, 05:39 PM
What about wizard hats?

Good question

Unoriginal
2017-07-02, 06:05 PM
I was asking cause my character is severely Obese, and most clothes will not fit her.

No, every single clothes will fit her if you wish so.

For reference, she is 430 lbs and is 5'5" so a lot of clothes will definitely not fit her. Any historic clothes from Europe that could fit her?

Every single one.

What makes you think that fat people can't wear regular clothes?

Red-and-yellow jester outfit.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-02, 06:36 PM
No, every single clothes will fit her if you wish so.

Every single one.

What makes you think that fat people can't wear regular clothes?

Red-and-yellow jester outfit.
Got it red and yellow

imanidiot
2017-07-02, 11:23 PM

Almost any set of clothing can just be described as robes.

Basement Cat
2017-07-03, 12:18 AM
My last wizard never wore robes for fear that enemies would spy her and think "That's a spell caster--KILL HER FIRST!!!"

Instead she wore what was basically the Jedi Knight clothes (with pockets). She didn't even wear a cloak--instead she had an advanced piece of technology known as a "Coat". A long coat, in fact. With pockets.

Like all of my characters she had a large messenger bag type satchel for additional carrying capacity: Think Indiana Jones and his shoulder bag and you get the idea.

She also wore a broad brimmed hat that was flat topped rather than pointed! Oh, the local Wizard's Guild was full of members who were green with envy at her sartorial daring. :smallwink:

Mith
2017-07-03, 10:21 AM
I had a naked Dwarf Hawk Totem Barbarian who wore literally no clothes, and his Ring of Featherfall was actually a prince albert piercing. He literally helicoptered himself into a close approximation of flight.

I am going to assume that his beard was long enough to keep me from being traumatized by the mental image.

ZB2017
2017-07-03, 12:51 PM
I was asking cause my character is severely Obese, and most clothes will not fit her ...

For reference, she is 430 lbs and is 5'5" so a lot of clothes will definitely not fit her.

As an aside, are you going to adjust her speed?

she could wear a barrel :smallbiggrin:

https://i0.wp.com/beachpackagingdesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/PunishingBarrels1.jpg

Basement Cat
2017-07-03, 06:20 PM

Did he paint himself over with woad before going into battle?

I wonder how people in cities and towns reacted to your character when he showed up bare beam and butt naked. Must have been some tolerant types--including the other dwarves.

Telwar
2017-07-03, 06:32 PM
Did he paint himself over with woad before going into battle?

I wonder how people in cities and towns reacted to your character when he showed up bare beam and butt naked. Must have been some tolerant types--including the other dwarves.

In a short-lived Aeneid-based game, my Egyptian exiled prince (reskinned mountain dwarf noble barbarian) wore a linen kilt, bracers, and nothing else.

The rest of the party decided he didn't even bother with the kilt half the time. And if someone objected, well, dammit, Nakhtmin Son of Ay Son of Nakhtmin Son of Ay would bitch-slap them for their impertinence.

scalyfreak
2017-07-03, 07:59 PM
Anyone else wonder why no robes are included in 5e's equipment sets?

Nope. But that could be mainly because I know what it's like to try to do anything other than walking slowly, while wearing a heavy garment that drags around my feet.

I don't remember the equipment sets mentioning socks either, yet I think we all assume our characters wear them with their boots. If you want robes, make them up. My characters, who like to be able to move freely, will be wearing pants.

Hrugner
2017-07-03, 08:48 PM
In Bosch's Seven Deadly Sins, the gluttonous man is portrayed wearing only a long unbelted tunic and stockings. In The Mirror of Human Salvation, the illustration of King Eglon's assassination shows him wearing the same sort of thing, a long unbelted tunic with leggings or stockings. It sounds like you're bound for mumu town. I wouldn't worry too much though, a regular regimen of adventuring should shed the weight pretty quickly unless you cram handfuls of goodberries down your throat all day.

toapat
2017-07-03, 09:35 PM
Almost any set of clothing can just be described as robes.

not under RAW. RAW robe is an entire other class of clothing.

RAW, if youre not an Entertainer, theres actually several classes with no choices for mundane clothing in their starting equipment. The Entertainer's Pack, Priest's Pack, and Diplomat's pack each have a set of clothing (2 for entertainer), but the other 3 do not.

Kinda funny that most players probably end up technically nude

Scots Dragon
2017-07-04, 01:16 AM
not under RAW. RAW robe is an entire other class of clothing.

RAW, if youre not an Entertainer, theres actually several classes with no choices for mundane clothing in their starting equipment. The Entertainer's Pack, Priest's Pack, and Diplomat's pack each have a set of clothing (2 for entertainer), but the other 3 do not.

Kinda funny that most players probably end up technically nude

Every background listed includes a set of clothes.

The acolyte, folk hero, hermit, sage, sailor, soldier and urchin include 'a set of common clothes'

The charlatan and noble include 'a set of fine clothes'

The criminal includes 'a set of dark common clothes including a hood'

The entertainer includes 'a costume'

The guild artisan and outlander include 'a set of traveller's clothes'

Also all of them include gold pieces, and robes are 1gp. Just buy some.

Incidentally, robes aren't necessary for something that fits a fat lady. The fact of the matter is that common clothes like dresses and such can be tailored in 'bigger'.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0aPM2OENHBU/SxDJIiDTUTI/AAAAAAAAAgU/CDCGIWb9iz8/s1600/4132900143_b184fdfe92.jpg

Max_Killjoy
2017-07-04, 01:33 AM
More importantly, players shouldn't need the game rules to specifically spell out their access to basic clothing for them.

If I were GMing and a player told me that their character was naked "because the book doesn't list clothing in the equipment", I'd tell them to go think about it and come back if they got their head on straight.

Beelzebubba
2017-07-04, 03:45 AM
Robes?

Robes are like capes.

NO CAPES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68ndaZSKa8

Unoriginal
2017-07-04, 04:30 AM
Meet Daniel Lambert:

http://www.storyofleicester.info/media/1275/portrait_of_dl_benjamin_marshall_1806.jpg

This man weighted more than 700 lbs. He had many skills, notably in matters related to domestic animals like dogs, was considered to be pretty intelligent and friendly, and he worked as a hunter, gaol keeper and dog breeder. He was also very strong and a keen sportsman in his youth.

He reportedly fought a bear from a dancing bear show after that his dog attacked the bear, and won.