PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Preparing for a Showdown: LG Iomedaens vs. LE Asmodeans

Madokar
2017-07-02, 04:17 PM
I've been working on my GM skills for about the past year. Really got a good idea for a first campaign. I'm incorporating three Pathfinder Adventure Paths into the backstory. Namely: Wrath of the Righteous, Hell's Rebels, and Hell's Vengeance. The way it works is that the WotR and HR APs succeeded, with HV failing. Now, Cheliax is in a state of civil war, with the Glorious Reclamation of Iomedae preparing to launch a full military campaign with allies from various nations.

But when putting an LG church against an LE church in open warfare, things can gut muddied if people focus too much on their Lawful components of their alignment. Obviously, the LG combatants will try to have due process so they can retain some sense of order.

The average Chelish citizen pays lip service to Asmodeus because they don't want to cross House Thrune. But with the Church of Iomedae officially coming in to remove House Thrune from power, I would imagine a noticeable amount of the citizenry would back the Reclamation.

Following that logic, I see the Iomedaens aiming to remove the Thrune Loyalists that head the various government offices across the nation from power. By the blade or by making arrests. Ideally, I would have any captured leaders and officials shipped off to Andoran for incarceration and trial, in a society that they have no influence over.

But in an LE kingdom, with LE courts, the entire rulebook has to be thrown out the window in order to bring about the necessary changes to improve the lives of the citizens. Which begs the question: How do you bring about LG reforms in an LE society?

legomaster00156
2017-07-02, 05:52 PM
By recognizing the law as corrupt and unusable. Being Lawful doesn't mean buckling to whatever local authority exists. In this case, being Lawful Good requires extreme reform, which begins by dismantling the old order and replacing it with a new one, a just and fair law.

Madokar
2017-07-02, 06:40 PM
By recognizing the law as corrupt and unusable. Being Lawful doesn't mean buckling to whatever local authority exists. In this case, being Lawful Good requires extreme reform, which begins by dismantling the old order and replacing it with a new one, a just and fair law.

Yeah, that's my take on it, too. But I think my group can wind up too focused on the Lawful aspect of their alignment. That's going by my experience as a paladin in the group, and I apparently wasn't Lawful enough. Then there is our current Stange Aeons campaign, where one member is playing as LN, and it's kind of setting us back in some areas. Though that may be because I'm playing as CG and it's up in the air right now as to which one of us is the party leader.

I do know that one member of the group likes to play a paladin whenever he can. He hasn't had a chance since I joined the group, so I don't know quite exactly HOW he plays a paladin. So I'm trying to prep myself for such a situation where he, or anyone else, tries to uphold the law at the cost of doing good.

legomaster00156
2017-07-02, 06:42 PM
Just be clear up-front about how this alignment works. Tell the party that their characters can be rebels while remaining Lawful, as long as the end goal is a new, just society. That's exactly how the AP Hell's Rebels clears up the issue.

Madokar
2017-07-02, 06:46 PM
Just be clear up-front about how this alignment works. Tell the party that their characters can be rebels while remaining Lawful, as long as the end goal is a new, just society. That's exactly how the AP Hell's Rebels clears up the issue.

So it's basically: "This is my take on the alignment, and you have to recognize it?"

On that note, I really wish I could either play or buy a copy of Hell's Rebels. I'm going on information based off of bare-bones summaries I got from other players who finished the campaign.

legomaster00156
2017-07-02, 07:25 PM
Well, it's really more Paizo's take, but as GM, yes, you do have final word on how alignments work. As for the actual information, you can find it here in the free Player's Guide (http://paizo.com/products/btpy9g44?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Hells-Rebels-Players-Guide).

Your GM should be open to allowing lawful characters to perform actions out of character for someone of lawful alignment, provided the end goal is a new and better government for Kintargo...

Madokar
2017-07-02, 09:07 PM
Well, it's really more Paizo's take, but as GM, yes, you do have final word on how alignments work. As for the actual information, you can find it here in the free Player's Guide (http://paizo.com/products/btpy9g44?Pathfinder-Adventure-Path-Hells-Rebels-Players-Guide).

Where is that little tidbit located in the Player's Guide? I looked over it, but I do believe I missed it.

legomaster00156
2017-07-02, 09:29 PM
It's actually among the campaign traits, specifically Fed-Up Citizen.

Madokar
2017-07-02, 09:43 PM
It's actually among the campaign traits, specifically Fed-Up Citizen.

Thanks. I'll use it to bolster my side of the discussion when we come to it.