PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Revamped Wizard, Take 2 (Misc Arcane and Divine Feats)

rferries
2017-07-02, 09:44 PM
Final sub-post for my revised wizard class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?528549-Revamped-Wizard-Take-2-(the-class)&p=22138925#post22138925).

Animal Companion [Divine]
You have a loyal friend from the wilds.

Prerequisites
Wizard level 1st, Druid Initiate, Knowledge (nature) 4 ranks, any neutral alignment.

Benefit
You gain an animal companion, exactly as a 3.5 druid would.

Special
You may select this feat multiple times. Each time you do, you gain an additional animal companion.

Coven Maiden [Arcane] [Divine]
You have joined the ranks of a coven as an initiate.

Prerequisites
Wizard level 1st, must be member of a coven with at least three members.

Benefit
You gain a +2 spellcasting bonus to your charisma.

If your coven has at least seven members, the spellcasting bonus from this feat increases to +4.

Special
You must meet with your coven at least once a month or lose the benefits of this feat.

Spellcasting Bonus: This type of bonus is usually applied to a character's mental ability scores. It improves ability scores solely for the purposes of spellcasting (typically spells memorised, magic points per day and save DCs) but provides no other benefits. Spellcasting bonuses stack with each other.

Coven Mother [Arcane] [Divine]
You are a respected member of your coven.

Prerequisites
Wizard level 3rd, must be member of a coven with at least three members.

Benefit
You gain a +2 spellcasting bonus to your intelligence.

If your coven has at least seven members, the spellcasting bonus from this feat increases to +4.

Special
You must meet with your coven at least once a month or you lose the benefits of this feat.

Coven Crone [Arcane] [Divine]
You are a senior member of your coven.

Prerequisites
Wizard level 6th, must be member of a coven with at least three members.

Benefit
You gain a +2 spellcasting bonus to your wisdom.

Special
You must meet with your coven at least once a month or you lose the benefits of this feat.

Implement of Power [Arcane] [Divine]
You have imbued an item with some of your own power.

Prerequisites
Wizard level 3rd.

Benefits
You craft an item or imbue a pre-existing one with magical power. The item can be virtually anything - a weapon, amulet, piece of clothing, crystal ball, even a spellbook or a throne. You may select a magic item to be enhanced by this feat. While you are wielding, bearing, or otherwise in contact with the item you gain a +4 spellcasting bonus to one of your mental ability scores.

If you lose possession of this item you instead take a -2 spellcasting penalty to all your mental ability scores until you recover it or craft a new one.

You may transfer this benefit from the item to a new one, or replace a lost or destroyed item in a special ritual lasting 24 hours.

Special
You may select this feat more than once. Each time you do, you may apply the benefits to a new item or the same one (and may later merge or split the benefits between items as you choose via the ritual).

Special Mount [Divine]
You have earned the services of a celestial (or fiendish) steed.

Prerequisites
Wizard level 1st, Knowledge (religion) 4 ranks, Acolyte of Evil or Acolyte of Good, any good or evil alignment, alignment matching your chosen deity.

Benefit
You gain a special mount, exactly as a 3.5 paladin would.

Improved Special Mount [Divine]
Your special mount gains in power.

Prerequisites
Wizard level 1st, Knowledge (religion) 9 ranks, Acolyte of Evil or Acolyte of Good, Special Mount, any good or evil alignment, alignment matching your chosen deity.

Benefit
Your special mount's HD increases to your character level. It gains the celestial or fiendish template as appropriate for your alignment.

Any damage reduction/magic your special mount possesses becomes damage reduction/evil or damage reduction/good, as appropriate.

Greater Special Mount [Divine]
You have earned the services of a celestial (or fiendish) steed.

Prerequisites
Wizard level 1st, Knowledge (religion) 15 ranks, Acolyte of Evil or Acolyte of Good, Improved Special Mount, Special Mount, any good or evil alignment, alignment matching your chosen deity.

Benefit
Your special mount gains the half-celestial or half-fiend template as appropriate for your alignment.

Your special mount may use greater teleport and plane shift at will as spell-like abilities. It may use these abilities only to transport itself and up to a heavy loads' worth of mounted creatures and equipment.

Summon Familiar [Arcane]
You attract a wizard's familiar.

Prerequisites
Wizard level 1st.

Benefit
You gain a familiar, exactly as a 3.5 wizard would.

When you take this feat, choose a mental ability score. While your familiar is within one mile of you, you gain a +2 spellcasting bonus to the chosen ability score.

Special
You may select Summon Familiar up to three times. Each time you do, choose a different mental ability score for which to gain a spellcasting bonus. You may choose to gain that bonus from the same familiar, or an additional familiar entirely.

Supernatural Sagacity [Arcane]
You are well-versed in arcane lore, in a way that is itself almost mystical.

Prerequisites
Wizard level 1st, Intelligence 12

Benefits
You gain 4 bonus skills points each level (with quadruple skill points at first level). These bonus skill points may only be spent on Knowledge skills.

Witch-King [Arcane] [Divine] [Fighter]
You are a great warrior and sovereign, but rule as much through magic as might.

Prerequisites
Wizard level 1st, Leadership, Knowledge (arcana) 9 ranks, Spellcraft 9 ranks, Combat Casting, Charisma 12.

Benefit
Your caster level increases to your character level + your Charisma modifier.

You gain bonus magic points equal to your Wisdom modifier for each level of a non-wizard class you possess.

For the purpose of metamagicked spells, the highest level of spells you can cast is equal to the highest level of spells that a wizard of your character level could cast. For example, you can cast an empowered fireball even if you can't cast 5th-level spells.

Special
A fighter may select Witch-King as one of his fighter bonus feats.

rferries
2017-07-02, 09:55 PM
That's the last of them (for now). Will revise the other threads as appropriate now.

AOKost
2017-07-03, 03:16 AM
With comparison to your other Wizard posts, I feel these hit the nail on the head for power and flavor. Very well Done. Though one critique I might add is that you make the latter feats require the highest level that the skills can be purchased at as a prerequisite in Wizard, that way a Fighter that maxes out the appropriate skills can't just take 1 level of Wizard and have a grand special mount or some such... if that makes sense.

I love the ability about Familiars, but I would suggest that each time you take the feat, you choose a new familiar to apply a different bonus to, to a maximum of 3 familiars, each with a different bonus, or you could stack the bonuses on one familiar or even split them between two... But you should make a clerification with that...

I really appreciate the "Spoiler" about Spellcasting Bonus. I feel that it will help a lot of people understand what you mean by increasing ability scores by a certain amount...

Speaking of increasing ability scores... Maybe it should only be by 1 point instead of 2... you're going to be gaining ability points by leveling anyway, and supposedly applying them to mental scores...

I really appreciate the feat required to get 4 skill points to distribute strictly between Knowledge skills. It has the right kind of feel and flavor for me. Though, I might suggest increasing it to 5... I say that because you're already getting 2 skill points per level, and this feat would give you 2 moreskill points per level... That doesn't amount to very many... even with a great Intelligence bonus. This class, with as many skill points as it gets, is still strapped for points, and therefore I feel that with the restriction of the choice limitation of strictly Knowledge sills they can be spent on, that 5 points, up from 2 would be fair and not too over powered. This could provide the party with some much needed assistance with figuring out what kind of critter you're up against and what it's weaknesses are.

I really love that each time you take the druid Animal Companion that you gain an additional companion... Though I'm wondering if that should be limited to a maximum of 1/4 or 1/5 of your character level...

I actually really appreciate the Coven feats... they add a great amount of depth, and forms the basis of a founding magic college at some point if the characters and DM want to take it that way. Take (I can't remember the name of the feat at the moment, but it gives a bonus for each caster helping cast a spell) and you could really come up with some great possibilities!

Witch King is an awesome idea and super flavorful... Though I'm not sure how I feel about it over all. The extra spell points per non Wizard level is amazingly helpful for those wanting to multiclass (I'm personally looking at Dragon Disciple). Even on levels you wouldn't normally gain any spellcasting increase or bonuses, you'd still gain a few Spell Points at least. As for the Caster-Level increase = to your charisma modifier... I can see how a lot of people could be up in arms about that... I like it, especially thematically, but I feel like a lot of people would view it as over over powered, especially to be combined into one feat about gaining extra Spell Points on levels you normally wouldn't (and is that retroactive?). As for the maximum metamagiced spell you can cast, that's just icing on the cake... Great ability, though I'm not sure how well it would be implemented...

So overall, as to the Witch King feat, I'd suggest breaking it up into a 3 feat chain... one feat for each of the abilities gained.

rferries
2017-07-04, 05:59 PM
Hi again!

I deliberately made it so that these feats can be taken with just a level of Wizard, to encourage multi-classing. Remember that special mounts are traditionally a Paladin class feature, and they're a very unwizardly class! :D

I've added in your suggestion about combining multiple benefits into the same familiar, though I assume most players would rather have an additional mini-PC (or perhaps they wouldn't it's another XP loss to risk :D).

I think bonuses are traditionally given in +2 increments in 3.5, though you raise a good alternative. I think I'll keep them at +2 though since I've removed all the divine feat spellcasting bonuses.

Re: Sagacity - I've bumped the base class up to 4 skill points per level, so between that and your Intelligence modifier Sagacity is probably fine at 4 points per level.

Animal Companion - yes, a Druid should have a menagerie of trusted pets! Beyond just the friends they make through empathy, I mean. You're already limited by the number of feats you can take so I don't think it's necessary to add a level cap too.

I think you are referring to Circle Magic, maybe? I like my feats too, I tried making a more complex version a while ago but people didn't seem too interested. :(

Re: Witch-King - yep! It's a powerful reward to encourage multiclassing. Note that the Charisma modifier is included in the base Wizard's caster level too. The metamagic thing is to let you pump up your low-level spells (since you probably won't be learning higher-level ones). I don't think I'll split it up; Fighters could afford a feat tax like that but it would discourage Rogues etc from taking it instead of straight levels of Wizard.

However this is all contingent on the general forum opinion of course. Thanks again for the very detailed feedback!