PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The [curse] condition and Witches Hexes

EisenKreutzer
2017-07-02, 09:58 PM
Since DSP introduced the [curse] condition for the Cursed Razor discipline in Path of War and expanded on it with the Malefex class, I am considering whether or not a Witches Hex feature could also impart the condition. The Witch does not benefit from the [curse] condition in any way, unless DSP has released some archetype or feat I am unaware of, but the idea is thematically appropriate and would benefit Cursed Razor users or Malefexes in the Witches party.

Thoughts?

Ellrin
2017-07-02, 10:45 PM
I've always thought it was a little short sighted of DSP to not at least mention hexes one way or another with regards to the cursed condition, since though they don't have the [curse] descriptor, they're pretty obviously a sort of curse.

Of course, I also thought Paizo should have added the [curse] descriptor to hexes when they first created it, so I guess I'm comfortable blaming both parties for the confusion.

Lord_Gareth
2017-07-03, 12:56 PM
Since DSP introduced the [curse] condition for the Cursed Razor discipline in Path of War and expanded on it with the Malefex class, I am considering whether or not a Witches Hex feature could also impart the condition. The Witch does not benefit from the [curse] condition in any way, unless DSP has released some archetype or feat I am unaware of, but the idea is thematically appropriate and would benefit Cursed Razor users or Malefexes in the Witches party.

Thoughts?

Afternoon! Creator/implementer of the condition in question here.

Hexes were considered, then deliberately excluded. Many are buffs or heals; others grant passive or active abilities to the witch in question. Making them [curse] abilities, even if it was within my grasp, would have created numerous rules holes that did not previously exist, and creating a whitelist for such is a lot of ongoing work for no reward. If you or another GM are inclined to make such a whitelist for your campaigns, my advice is to include "debuff" style hexes with a duration of one or more round; that way, if they are removed or dispelled, you don't end up in weird rule situations.

However, the witch spell list does have plenty of curses

EisenKreutzer
2017-07-03, 01:25 PM
Afternoon! Creator/implementer of the condition in question here.

Hexes were considered, then deliberately excluded. Many are buffs or heals; others grant passive or active abilities to the witch in question. Making them [curse] abilities, even if it was within my grasp, would have created numerous rules holes that did not previously exist, and creating a whitelist for such is a lot of ongoing work for no reward. If you or another GM are inclined to make such a whitelist for your campaigns, my advice is to include "debuff" style hexes with a duration of one or more round; that way, if they are removed or dispelled, you don't end up in weird rule situations.

However, the witch spell list does have plenty of curses
Thanks for chiming in! I appreciate your input on this.

Dr_Dinosaur
2017-07-03, 03:09 PM
I was going to point out that SLumber would then be included, but it's already far and away the best Hex, so it really doesn't matter