PDA

View Full Version : Player rewards!?

imaginary
2017-07-03, 01:21 AM
Hi all,

I had a question about rewards for players who do extra work like write adventure logs, details backstories, or otherwise help out the game. I’m running a model/campaign, and have opted to used the milestone based leveling, so additional Exp awards are kinda’ out. I also don’t want to unbalance the game by doing things like adding in more or cooler items as rewards. What are some options that have worked in the past for you, or that you think would be cool?

My main concern is around keeping the game balanced. What are your thoughts on rewards being additional inspiration points (and allowing them to stack up additional ones)? How about additional healing potions? In the past I’ve played with “Hero Points” that can be used to save a character from certain death, or succeed on some heroic action. I also considered points that give the character advantage when used. What else is out there?

What do you all think?

~imaginary

JellyPooga
2017-07-03, 01:27 AM
Inspiration is little underwhelming, perhaps, but certainly not unbalanced. Similarly, some of the "alternative rewards" in the DMG might be appropriate as temporary boons for such extra work by players.

Decstarr
2017-07-03, 01:36 AM
I tend to reward this type of players with flavor things. I usually ask them about what their PC would enjoy - or already know because the PC has a certain quirk that let's me know - and then give it to them. This can be everything from a specific mount that they can use to certain items like a specific music instrument, getting married or whatever. This all depends on the player's creativity more than your own, though. So if they don't roleplay that much or don't have many ideas, you might have to come up with something on your own.

Why not have the population of that city they saved build a statue in honor of this guy? Or a local bard composes a song about his deeds? They might even acquire followers who want to join/worship.

Additionally, I don't see a problem with handing out items, too.

SpamCreateWater
2017-07-03, 01:42 AM
Hi all,

I had a question about rewards for players who do extra work like write adventure logs, details backstories, or otherwise help out the game. I’m running a model/campaign, and have opted to used the milestone based leveling, so additional Exp awards are kinda’ out. I also don’t want to unbalance the game by doing things like adding in more or cooler items as rewards. What are some options that have worked in the past for you, or that you think would be cool?

My main concern is around keeping the game balanced. What are your thoughts on rewards being additional inspiration points (and allowing them to stack up additional ones)? How about additional healing potions? In the past I’ve played with “Hero Points” that can be used to save a character from certain death, or succeed on some heroic action. I also considered points that give the character advantage when used. What else is out there?

What do you all think?

dana.

I've run with a few different subsystems before and they were fun for different reasons.

Action points - can have up to X (we played max equal to character level) and are rewarded for good role-playing, making decisions based on character traits/flaws even though they're clearly not be optimal, or extra tidbits (like back stories, adventure logs, or just making people laugh and enjoy the game). One action point is equal to +1d6 on any roll, and explode (meaning on a 6 you get a second die roll for free). This may not be suited for all campaigns. We also tried an action point subsystem where you could take 'feats' and spend your action points to do other things (in game contacts, minor divination abilities, an extra action, etc).

Bonus/cheaper proficiencies - tool proficiencies and languages can be learned for a total payment of 250 days and 250 gold pieces. Make it cheaper in time/money, or allow them to learn skill proficiencies instead.

Minor, minor magical items or consumables - rings that give you a +1 to a skill, boots that are indestructible and allow you to water walk 1d4 times (cannot refill), boat tokens (item from 3.5 that you could throw/break and it would 'spawn' a boat). I've given one of my party members some black market items that they have been asked to deliver - it hasn't stopped them from trying the non-consumable ones out and has led to some interesting problem solving moments.

Or perhaps create a rewards system where, if they save up enough points, they can purchase a cottage or keep for personal use. Or maybe the spellcasting services of a Wizard - purchase up to X spell slots worth of spells.

Coranhann
2017-07-03, 07:00 AM
If they perform an achievement that is worthy of a position, give them access to a special power, similar to a low level class feature (avoid the biggest one, such as action surge) or racial feature, once a day.
i.e. Titania's Favorite, a title giving Misty Step once per long rest.
You can limit the power by deciding you can't have more than one title at the same time, as you need to spend a bit of downtime to justify your position... or something like that.

Other option, don't reward them with something that give them power, but with something that requires them to take care of it. Like giving your nefew a puppy. Of course it's a ****ty gift, he'll have to feed him, walk him and everything. But if you made sure he actually loved the idea of getting a puppy, that's the best gift possible.
i.e. If you have a players who wants to build a network of spies, give him a lieutenant with 4 or 5 low level criminal under him. They're not good, can't do anything beside robbing people, but he can develop them the way he wants. He'll feel like it's an awesome reward...
... in this case, you're the one with more work to take care of that group, so I guess it's more like giving a puppy to your own kid.

nickl_2000
2017-07-03, 07:27 AM
If someone gives you a detailed backstory you can rewards them in game pretty easily by incorportating the background into the adventure.

If I spend the time to make a character with a past, I'm invested in that character and want to see more happen with that story. You can also give them bonuses in skill checks in situations where they would have knowledge or contacts (based on the backstory)

smcmike
2017-07-03, 07:30 AM
Cool items don't have to unbalance the game - one use items, for example, even with powerful effects, will only change one scene.

mephnick
2017-07-03, 09:01 AM
You have to be careful that you aren't simply punishing players for different play styles. And yes, rewarding some players and not others IS punishment. For instance, I'd rather hang myself than type up a detailed backstory for my character, I like to figure out who he is along the way. Some players just like to hang out and bash some monsters. If they have a good attitude about it are they not helping the game? I'd say do nothing, let players who like keeping notes keep notes and have them recall information and feel smart. Tie backstories for players who like them into the game. Let casual players hang out and bash some monsters when it comes up. All these things are their own reward, don't create needless separation.

Sariel Vailo
2017-07-03, 12:27 PM
Other option, don't reward them with something that give them power, but with something that requires them to take care of it. Like giving your nefew a puppy. Of course it's a ****ty gift, he'll have to feed him, walk him and everything. But if you made sure he actually loved the idea of getting a puppy, that's the best gift possible.
i.e. If you have a players who wants to build a network of spies, give him a lieutenant with 4 or 5 low level criminal under him. They're not good, can't do anything beside robbing people, but he can develop them the way he wants. He'll feel like it's an awesome reward...
... in this case, you're the one with more work to take care of that group, so I guess it's more like giving a puppy to your own kid.

My dm did this i got a half drow elf while in the underdark.he was treated like **** by everyone around him.our soldier killed the rest i knocked him unconcious our soldier woke him up scared him to death a nat 20 intimidation..........our cleric healed him and tried to bring him back.he wouldnt want to wake up me a drow who speaks undercommon as well as a wizard bladesinger with singing as one of my instruments sang a drow lullaby he attached to me.i offered to take him to the surface hes an averge npc hireling ranger. He levels with us and he has after our orcish fighter did what he did favored enemy orcs.i like having him around he might even be someone my character marries.

CantigThimble
2017-07-03, 12:37 PM
I think typically the best reward for coming up with lore is incorporating that lore into your world and making it a part of the story of the campaign. Players love their stuff being included.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-07-03, 12:42 PM
I think typically the best reward for coming up with lore is incorporating that lore into your world and making it a part of the story of the campaign. Players love their stuff being included.
This is my usual route. If you take the time writing a detailed and interesting backstory, I'll see that it matters. You'll get the works- side missions, solo games, unique powers or items that are themed towards your backstory, rivals and rogues separate from the main story. I'll make the player fight for all of it, of course. So you'd better be ready to back up your epic story when I start laying out the epic challenges.

CaptainSarathai
2017-07-03, 01:06 PM
Invested players get rewards at my table just by having more time spent on them. I try to engage everyone equally, but I think we've all had that quiet person who you just cannot get to do anything more than roll dice. And I know that you shouldn't necessarily punish that person by skipping them on rewards, but at the same time, rewards are meant to encourage that play. If you don't want rewards, just sit there and chuck dice. If you do want them, then they aren't very hard to earn. I also don't usually care if that player quits, so I'm less worried about appeasing them. I would rather they quit and give me a chance to replace them with someone more active, than try to bend over backwards to accommodate someone who adds nothing but a body.

If you write me a backstory, you'll almost certainly have it incorporated into the game. If you tell me that you have a goal or aspiration, I'll try to get you there.
I hand out Inspiration like candy, for inspired roleplaying or just cool moments in game.

Recently, my players did a 1-shot set roughly 150 years before the main campaign, as a way to bring in a few new gamers and teach them the game, give them the flavor and some history of the setting. In it, the party went into a Fey forest, where they spent much of a day. They exited, to find that only a few minutes had passed in "our time." They went in to rescue a missing king.
So when they resumed the main campaign, they found that there was an annual holiday in that kingdom, celebrating the heroes who rescued their founding king. The celebrations were like a carnival, so I made tongue-in-cheek adaptations of parts of the story that everyone had enjoyed.
The fighter was a prissy noble, and wanted to keep his clothes clean. Of course, by the time he left the forest he was covered in all manner of filth. So as part of the celebration, a man dresses up in absurdly garish clothes and runs a gauntlet down the main street of the town, while the peasants fling mud and food at him.
Since the current PCs don't know the "true" story, or have a link to the past characters, I described things vaguely;
"You see a man, dressed in the most absurd motley of colors you've ever witnessed, riding a hobby-horse, at the top of Hill Street. Before him march two trumpeters and a gaggle of laughing children.
'Make way! Make way for brave Sir Richard!"
The player who had run the fighter realized what was happening and was ecstatic. By the end of the scene, the whole party was in stitches.
That is how you reward outstanding moments in the game; work them in as recurring elements of your campaign.

Gryndle
2017-07-03, 02:45 PM
If its a PLAYER and not a character, then I reward them or thank in real life, and leave in game stuff alone. If they as a person put in extra effort that helps me out that's awesome. I'm not going to reward their character for that though. I'd rather do something nice for the person.

EDIT: Eh, my original answer is too narrow. If they are working on game stuff out of game that helps take some of the DM weight off me, then I reward the person. If they are putting in a lot of effort IN-GAME, then I will let that pay off for the character.

Psikerlord
2017-07-03, 06:36 PM
Hi all,

What do you all think?

~imaginary

You might consider using Paizo plot twist cards. They are an extremely fun way to hand the player a way to affect the world in a surprising/creative way.

Psikerlord
2017-07-03, 06:39 PM
You have to be careful that you aren't simply punishing players for different play styles. And yes, rewarding some players and not others IS punishment. For instance, I'd rather hang myself than type up a detailed backstory for my character, I like to figure out who he is along the way. Some players just like to hang out and bash some monsters. If they have a good attitude about it are they not helping the game? I'd say do nothing, let players who like keeping notes keep notes and have them recall information and feel smart. Tie backstories for players who like them into the game. Let casual players hang out and bash some monsters when it comes up. All these things are their own reward, don't create needless separation.

this is important too