PDA

View Full Version : No X's on Hinjo!

Jher'c Kelborn
2007-08-06, 11:50 AM
'Nuf said! :smallconfused:

Miraqariftsky
2007-08-06, 12:07 PM
Rrrright. Don't ye be a-telling me that Hinjo's going the way of O-chul?

Snake-Aes
2007-08-06, 12:09 PM
He's alive and took anything between 5 and 168 damage(give or take). All in all, it hurt like hell =P

tainsouvra
2007-08-06, 01:09 PM
'Nuf said! :smallconfused: Given this was Disintegrate, X's weren't an option. Small pile of paladin-dust sinking into the bay was an option, though.

Dusk_Rider
2007-08-06, 01:12 PM
Given this was Disintegrate, X's weren't an option. Small pile of paladin-dust sinking into the bay was an option, though.

That's what I noticed. If he had been Disintigrated, he'd just be some dust on the water. So he's not dead.

chibibar
2007-08-06, 01:12 PM
Given this was Disintegrate, X's weren't an option. Small pile of paladin-dust sinking into the bay was an option, though.

that may be true, but Hinjo is still whole. He is in a lot of pain, but still whole.

RAGE KING!
2007-08-06, 02:03 PM
am i the only person who noticed hes standing next to durkon!:durkon:

chibibar
2007-08-06, 02:08 PM
am i the only person who noticed hes standing next to durkon!:durkon:

you mean lying next to Durkon :) yea.. a quick heal should be good (assuming Durkon still got some spell left)

moscatabaco
2007-08-06, 02:34 PM
Poor guy. I do like him (high cha, appropiate for a paladin), but he has been defeated in each and every battle he's been portrayed on. Miko, the Heukuva (aided by ninjas but still) and now Redcloack. Granted, Miko and Redcloack are serious badasses, but still you'd expect the second most powerful paladin of the sapphire ward to be mightier.

mikeejimbo
2007-08-06, 02:54 PM
I can only guess that his unconsciousness means Hinjo has more non-lethal damage than hit points. Which is odd, because I don't recall seeing anyone do non-lethal damage.

Maybe he's not unconscious then.

Ariko
2007-08-06, 02:57 PM

Falling into the bay, and on Lien's head..as much as I like Hinjo, for some reason that image amuses me.

tainsouvra
2007-08-06, 03:18 PM
I can only guess that his unconsciousness means Hinjo has more non-lethal damage than hit points. Which is odd, because I don't recall seeing anyone do non-lethal damage. Ignoring the possibility that it occurred off-camera, it is possible that the version of the summon in the strip causes subdual damage with its grapple.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-08-06, 03:26 PM
Ah, he's fine! Dust him off, give him a pep talk, and send him back out!

factotum
2007-08-06, 03:46 PM
I can only guess that his unconsciousness means Hinjo has more non-lethal damage than hit points. Which is odd, because I don't recall seeing anyone do non-lethal damage.

Aren't there rules for "massive damage" if you take more than 50 damage in a single hit? Not sure what they do, mind you...

BobTheDog
2007-08-06, 07:05 PM
Aren't there rules for "massive damage" if you take more than 50 damage in a single hit? Not sure what they do, mind you...

Massive damage = Fort save DC 15. As I've pointed out elsewhere, Hinjo's likely to have a +12, at least, on his Fort save, so that's not a big deal unless he tends to roll 1's.

DreadSpoon
2007-08-06, 08:34 PM
I can only guess that his unconsciousness means Hinjo has more non-lethal damage than hit points.

Where does it show him unconscious? It shows him still flying through the hit, only just hitting the deck. His eyes are probably closed in pain or surprise, which Rich as done many times before.

Hushdawg
2007-08-06, 08:46 PM
most likely his hit points are in the negative. Luckily though Durkon can give him a quick heal to keep him from dying.

Krellen
2007-08-06, 08:56 PM
most likely his hit points are in the negative. Luckily though Durkon can give him a quick heal to keep him from dying.
If his hit points were in the negative, he'd be ash. Disintegrate kicks in at 0, not -10.

Verick Severith
2007-08-06, 09:37 PM
Poor guy. I do like him (high cha, appropiate for a paladin), but he has been defeated in each and every battle he's been portrayed on. Miko, the Heukuva (aided by ninjas but still) and now Redcloack. Granted, Miko and Redcloack are serious badasses, but still you'd expect the second most powerful paladin of the sapphire ward to be mightier.

Keep in mind he's only faced off against rather powerful opponents so far, the fact that he even held his ground against Miko is impressive to me actually.

Hushdawg
2007-08-06, 09:56 PM
If his hit points were in the negative, he'd be ash. Disintegrate kicks in at 0, not -10.

Ooh good point.. I just checked the SRD. So I guess he's knocked out from shock?

Some DMs use that rule for massive damage...

theinsulabot
2007-08-06, 10:03 PM
Ooh good point.. I just checked the SRD. So I guess he's knocked out from shock?

i dont think he is out cold, i think he is just grimacing in pain

Porthos
2007-08-06, 11:11 PM

We have seen people being Stunned several times in the comic after taking Massive Damage. Roy after being hit by a Meteor Swarm (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html[/url) and the Black Dragon after being hit by a disintegrate spell (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0186.html) are two examples that immediately come to mind. Mind you, this doesn't always happen (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0453.html) so who knows what the mechanics are.

Perhaps being Stunned only happens if you fail the Massive Damage roll. Hinjo certainly made his Death From Massive Damage save when he beat the Harm spell cast at him (which did a minimum of 55 points of damage) and he didn't get Stunned. So I would tend to think that if the Massive Damage roll is involved at all, it takes the form of Stunning upon failure instead of Death.

Otherwise there is some other homebrewed mechanic going on here* that determines if a character is temporarily Stunned after taking damage.

* And yes, I know that the "real" reason is to show the readers that a Powerful Attack has occurred and that the character can't just shrug it off. But it is fun for some of us to try and figure out the Game Mechanic behind the reason. :smallwink:

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-07, 12:50 AM
Considering Miko took on the entire OoTS... the fact that he almost held his own solo against her, after she attacked first while he was not expecting it, means he could probably, if he had to, take on OoTS as well. His primary concern now is for attacks he doesn't see comming (i.e. assassins and ninjas with crapload d6 sneak attacks getting full attacks of SA's and killing him in one round), which is what he asked Roy to help with.

Also, the fact that he SURVIVED a Disintegrate is impressive. Either a) he made the fort save (likely considering he's a Pally with high fort save and high Cha to saves on top of it, but offset by he's too badly hurt for a mere 5d6), or b) he failed his fort save (even a nat 1 blows it) and STILL survived. That is rather impressive, considering Redcloak has to be at least 13th level to cast Disentegrate as a domain spell from the Destruction domain, that makes it 26d6 damage he ate... and still kept going. That's... scary.

factotum
2007-08-07, 01:28 AM
Considering Miko took on the entire OoTS... the fact that he almost held his own solo against her, after she attacked first while he was not expecting it, means he could probably, if he had to, take on OoTS as well.

Almost held his own? He got ONE good hit in on her in the entire battle! She DESTROYED him! And that's after she'd Fallen, so she was just a fighter-without-bonus-feats at that point and had lost quite a bit of her previous power. She was having a lot more difficulty handling Roy, which implies Roy on his own is more powerful than Hinjo is--the entire OotS would take him out in one round, two at most.

the_tick_rules
2007-08-07, 02:57 AM
remember belkars railroad plot comment, plot required her to win, so she did.

Shadic
2007-08-07, 04:28 AM
Almost held his own? He got ONE good hit in on her in the entire battle! She DESTROYED him! And that's after she'd Fallen, so she was just a fighter-without-bonus-feats at that point and had lost quite a bit of her previous power. She was having a lot more difficulty handling Roy, which implies Roy on his own is more powerful than Hinjo is--the entire OotS would take him out in one round, two at most.

Actually... Hinjo took a lot of hits from Miko in that comic. She's definitely stronger than him, but don't know Hinjo just for that battle, bad dice happen.

factotum
2007-08-07, 04:33 AM
Actually... Hinjo took a lot of hits from Miko in that comic. She's definitely stronger than him, but don't know Hinjo just for that battle, bad dice happen.

Isn't that agreeing with what I said?

Radar
2007-08-07, 05:05 AM
About Hinjo being uncosious: can't it be due to hitting hard the deck with the back of his head (there is thunk! sound, do he did hit the deck)? That usually does the work.

Snake-Aes
2007-08-07, 06:08 AM
D&D has no written rules for being knocked out due to fall damage AFAIK. That usually doesn't count.

(D&D is the only game I know where you can wear full plate and jump a 20 roof building and survive, after all)

that sets it for me, I guess: He took a good hundred or so damage and fell on the deck, grimacing in pain. I bet he's up and running on the next round(or up and moaning if Durkon can't heal)

SPoD
2007-08-07, 08:46 AM
D&D has no written rules for being knocked out due to fall damage AFAIK. That usually doesn't count.

Yes, but D&D has rules for being knocked out due to suffering any damage, period. Whether it comes from a fall or not is besides the point. If the Disintegrate left Hinjo with 2 hp, and then he took 1d6 points of falling damage and rolled a 4, then he's at -2 and unconscious.