View Full Version : (IC) The Voyage of the Hearthfire

Pages : [1] 2

Gareth3
2017-07-03, 01:34 AM
The Voyage of the Hearthfire

Walk wide of the Widow at Windsor,
For half of Creation she owns:
We have bought her the same with the sword and the flame,
And we’ve salted it down with our bones.
- Rudyard Kipling, “The Widow at Windsor”, Barrack-Room Ballards

No-one remembers why it’s called Heaven’s Gate. The cove is at one end of an otherwise uninhabited island, at bottom of sheer cliffs capped by dense jungle. The beach is invisible under the hundreds of docks that have been built over the centuries. Heaven’s Gate started as a pirate refuge from mainland navies. It’s a small city by now, providing every service and product that a pirate could want, from rope to theatre. Miles South of An-Teng and sheltered from the wind, the air is as hot and wet as a laundry.

Many rumours are circulating about the Hearthfire, but before arriving at Heaven’s Gate you’ve found reliable information on the passengers and cargo. The ship contains:

1) Enough red jade to make each adventurer incredibly rich if it's divided amongst them, even allowing for losses fencing it.

2) Building and crafting supplies suitable for making a manse and artifacts.

3) Moonlight Jaguar, the ancient all-terrain moonsilver warstrider. Almost every Lunar sees the Realm's possession of this as a personal affront and would kill to possess it - or be eternally grateful if given it.

4) Cathak Cainan, the patriarch of House Cathak and one of the most powerful people in the Realm (certainly the most powerful man). He's an irresistible assassination or kidnapping target for any enemy of the Realm.

5) A white jade box, of the kind used to shield very powerful artifacts from magical senses. Its contents are a mystery.

6) Cathak Ego, a Realm soldier and Cathak Cainan’s heir.

Both of the party's ships are docked close to a bar packed with noisy patrons. Across from your ship, another crew is rushing to leave, hauling supplies at a run, and throwing junk into the ocean. Further out, another ship is much more relaxed. Sailors doze on the deck, while a captain and first mate inspect the hull without much urgency.

You can try to find out more from the bar, the rushing ship, or the dozing ship. You could also ignore them all and try to figure out where to sail amongst yourselves.

Volthawk
2017-07-03, 07:56 AM
Nazir walks out from the decks of one of the circle's ships, dressed in his hooded buff jacket (the Bulwark safely hidden away in the boat) - this way, he was merely distinctive as a giant, disfigured man, not as an Anathema in golden plate. For some time, he sits on the edge of the deck, having a drink - it was only some fairly cheap, weak stuff, not the best tasting but it'd do. As he sat there, he looked around the dock, making a note of the bar - he definitely needed to go there soon. After a little more time spent where he was, watching the crew of the ship opposite them rush around, he gets up and gets off the ship, walking towards the bar.

HalfTangible
2017-07-03, 10:21 AM
Vary was already in the bar, laughing and telling her stories to anyone who would listen.

When in doubt, work the crowd. Vary did her best to draw the eyes and loosen the lips of the sailors and patrons; not that such a thing was hard when you're an eight-foot tall woman. The Hearthfire wasn't the kind of ship you could just walk up to a random passerby and ask about. Even if they knew anything, they would likely keep it secret.

"-so by this point she's beet red, and her husband is on the ground laughing like a maniac." Vary finished, chortling, "She didn't speak to me for a week."

She didn't know much about social niceties, but she figured a group of pirates wouldn't care about that. Sheer force of personality (and her slightly-too-small clothes - it was criminal how few tailors catered to the height-endowed) might be enough.

It probably would've been best to go to the dozing ship, now that she thought about it, but whatever. Getting information out of the unwilling wasn't her style.

Gareth3
2017-07-03, 04:33 PM
A powerfully built man with an unkempt black beard, only a head shorter than Vary, stumbles past her. He carries a bottle that claims to contain celestial wine from Yu-Shan itself - presumably a fake. Wine slops out as he trips over his own feet, and he whirls to face Vary, shouting.

"Hey, you bumped me!"

It's obvious that Vary did not bump him. Not waiting for a reply, the drunkard moves uncomfortably close, staring up at her in fury. He seems about to attack her.

Drunkard's Join Battle roll: [roll0] 2 successes, Initiative 5.

HalfTangible
2017-07-03, 04:39 PM
Vary blinked and looked around. "Bumped who? I didn't feel any-"

Then she saw how broad the man's shoulders were, and how eager he looked to fight.

"Damn right I did!" Vary yelled, right in the drunkard's face. "I'm a priestess of Zelos and he don't take too kindly to drunkards uglier than yer momma! Watcha gonna do about it?!"

Join Battle!
[roll0] + 3 Successes
Initiative 4

Gareth3
2017-07-03, 05:45 PM
As Nazir approaches the bar, the noise from the patrons gets quieter. Through the windows he can see two very tall figures confronting each other.

The drunkard snarls and shoves Vary with his bare hands.

Initiative 5, Withering attack, 2 dice to beat defence 4. [roll0] 1 success, miss.

Volthawk
2017-07-03, 05:57 PM
Nazir walks into the bar. Naturally, he can figure out what to expect once he's there, but as of yet has no intention of getting involved - the two of them against against one random mortal drunk would barely be able to be called a fight, and would be over way too quickly for any fun to be had or to allow him to prove his strength. For now, his course leads him straight to the bar itself to get himself drink. He'd get involved if it escalated .

HalfTangible
2017-07-03, 06:01 PM
Vary's smile died as the man tried vainly to push her.

"Is that it?" She growled, evident boredom entering her tone. She grabbed his head with one hand.

"I was excited for a second." She shoved, aiming to have him fall onto the table behind him.

Initiative 4
Withering attack
7 (Dexterity + Brawl)
[roll0]
Against defense of ???

Gareth3
2017-07-03, 07:13 PM
The bartender ignores the fight, and turns to Nazir.

"What are you drinking?"

Behind him is what looks like a bottle of every alcoholic drink in Creation, from kvass to arak.

The drunkard is shocked as his hands meet empty space. He goes sprawling across the table as Vary shoves him.

Eight successes against Defence 2, hit. Roll damage against Soak 6.

Volthawk
2017-07-03, 07:28 PM
As his circlemate begins the inevitable beatdown, Nazir ponders his first drink, ending up eying up the kvass. "Some of that. Don't think I've tried it before." He then turns around, leaning on the bar as he watches what's left of the fight. He didn't expect it to last much longer, although a considerable part of him hoped for escalation, something to make him wading in worth it.

OracleofSilence
2017-07-03, 07:34 PM
The stead clicking of spun prayet beads ends, and Leopard sighs quietly as the drunk sprawls awkwardly against the table next to his. Fights like this were common enough, but you'd think people would learn after a while. "Come on lady, the guy's just a drunk. You think you can let the rest of us eat in peace?" He punctuates the question with a slightly angled scewer, and a slight poke to the drunk with the end of his sword sheath.

HalfTangible
2017-07-03, 07:39 PM
"I'd recommend staying down."

Raw damage: Attacker’s Strength (4) + weapon’s damage value (see later) + threshold successes on attack roll in Step One (6)

[roll0]

Google tells me unarmed attacks count as light melee weapons, which deal 7 damage to initiative. I dunno if that's true, but on the off chance it is, here's the 7:

[roll1]

HalfTangible
2017-07-03, 07:43 PM
The stead clicking of spun prayet beads ends, and Leopard sighs quietly as the drunk sprawls awkwardly against the table next to his. Fights like this were common enough, but you'd think people would learn after a while. "Come on lady, the guy's just a drunk. You think you can let the rest of us eat in peace?" He punctuates the question with a slightly angled scewer, and a slight poke to the drunk with the end of his sword sheath.

She looked to the newcomer. "Hey, he wanted a fight. Not my fault he can't keep up." She grinned and clapped a hand on her own bicep as she flexed it. "... Weeeeeell maybe it's a little my fault, but you look at me and tell me I should be ashamed of all this. Try it."

Gareth3
2017-07-03, 08:29 PM
The bartender hands Nazir a glass of cloudy golden-brown liquid. It tastes like the floor of a cheap bakery and obviously has very little alcohol. The bartender looks amused as he drinks it.

"You joining the fleet?"

Volthawk
2017-07-03, 08:33 PM
Nazir shrugs as he drinks. He definitely hadn't drunk this before, and probably never will past this point (well unless it was the only option), but hey it was something different. "Don't know yet. Which fleet? Something to do with the Hearthfire?"

Gareth3
2017-07-03, 08:55 PM
The bartender nods.

"Yeah, it's meant to be a big secret, but thousands are going and people talk. Everyone thinks the Hearthfire is going to Seahaven. Every ship's either plotted a course to intercept it, or is going to follow along. You're going to get nearly a thousand ships turning up in the middle of the ocean."

He's thoughtful for a moment.

"No, not every ship. That one with the guys sleeping on top doesn't seem to be going at all. And the one that's rushing to leave... They were acting all superior, like they'd found out some secret. Maybe they're going somewhere else. If the Hearthfire isn't going to Seaheaven everyone will look pretty silly. Makes me feel better about my career choices."

The crowd gasps as the drunkard sprawls across the table, but no-one joins the fight. He springs back to his feet, fumbling with a scabbard at his belt.

Three successes. Drunkard's initiative is reduced by 3 to 2. Vary's initiative gains 3, plus one for hitting with a withering attack, bringing it to 8. A new round starts, and Vary can attack again. The drunkard's Defence is still 2 and his soak is still 6.

snakeobsidian
2017-07-03, 09:41 PM
Falcatta watched around the deck of his ship, as consumer goods are shipped out, and resources for a long trip are accomodated in. Now, it was time to find some legitimate business, or maybe some ilegitimate one. He sauntered off to the neighbour's ship, which seemed in quite a hurry.

"Ahoy there, fellas." He said, as he shipped by the nearest group of sailors. "Are you men of the sea preparing for a race? What reason is there for you to go off on the seas with such haste?"

Spending 5m from Personal pool for a flash of Mastery of Small Manners. Also, I'll try not falling Too haré at Seaspeak.

OracleofSilence
2017-07-03, 09:57 PM
Leopard looks somewhat irritated by the drunkards dreadfully rude interruption. "Now if you would excuse me you ass, I was trying to have a conversation here." He quickly steps between the two, more as an intentional insult to the drunk then an actual effort to forestall violence. "Now as I was saying. Ahem. Would it be more fun to say you didn't, lady? Because let me tell you, this place was not even remotely as diverting as I hoped."

Join battle just in case.

7d10

Gareth3
2017-07-03, 10:00 PM
The crew of the rushing ship is a ragtag bunch, looking like they've come from all over Creation. Only their generally slovenly appearance unites them. Most of them ignore Falcatta as they rush back and forth, loading the ship at breakneck speed. Two of the crew are carrying a large chest between them, and one turns to Falcatta and replies.

"Can't talk now, gotta leave now if we're going to catch up to the Reavers."

Recaiden
2017-07-03, 10:09 PM
What has them in such a hurry? Daryn supposes he'd better find out.
He adopts the pose of a dock-worker loading supplies and strolls aboard, easy as that, to take a look around. Are they bringing anything unusual? Throwing normally useful 'junk' away in their haste? Maybe he can sneak a look into that big chest there...

Activating Easily-Overlooked Presence Method to hide.
And here's a Perception+Awareness roll in case I need that for something. [roll0]

HalfTangible
2017-07-03, 10:22 PM
Leopard looks somewhat irritated by the drunkards dreadfully rude interruption. "Now if you would excuse me you ass, I was trying to have a conversation here." He quickly steps between the two, more as an intentional insult to the drunk then an actual effort to forestall violence. "Now as I was saying. Ahem. Would it be more fun to say you didn't, lady? Because let me tell you, this place was not even remotely as diverting as I hoped."

Join battle just in case.

7d10

She grinned, placing a finger on her cheek. "You wanna find a 'diversion' with me, boy? Cuz lemme tell you, I got-"

The crowd gasps as the drunkard sprawls across the table, but no-one joins the fight. He springs back to his feet, fumbling with a scabbard at his belt.

Three successes. Drunkard's initiative is reduced by 3 to 2. Vary's initiative gains 3, plus one for hitting with a withering attack, bringing it to 8. A new round starts, and Vary can attack again. The drunkard's Defence is still 2 and his soak is still 6.

Vary frowned and held the finger on her cheek up towards Leopard. "One sec."

Vary rushed forward, moving around Leopard with a grace and speed that belied her size. She slammed her fist straight into the drunkard's face. "No blades. Have some respect for the bar."

Decisive Attack on the Drunk

To hit (Dexterity 4 + Brawl 3)
[roll0] vs Defense of 2

Damage if needed (Unarmed - Bashing, Initiative 8):
[roll1]

Gareth3
2017-07-04, 12:53 AM
The crew ignores Daryn as he wanders around. They're not bringing in anything too unusual, just more weapons and armor. They're leaving supplies like spare rope and tar and some of their fresh water behind. They seem to be expecting a much shorter voyage than the other ships.

Volthawk
2017-07-04, 05:42 AM
Nazir chuckles as he sees Leopard enter the brawl. Of course he'd try to intervene in a good old bar fight to stop it. The temptation to get involved was growing, but for now he turned back to the barman, finishing his drink. "Something a bit stronger than that now." As he waits for the new drink, he considers the new information. Dammit. He's not going to join in the brawl after all. On the bright side, he might end up taking on a ship's crew. That'd be fun.

He pays for his drinks - although he was hardly rich, he'd found enough places to make his strength earn him something that he could cover his drinks - and pours the new drink in with the stuff he brought from the ship and leaves the bar, heading back to where the ships were docked, going to see what was going on with the ship he was told about.

OracleofSilence
2017-07-04, 06:38 AM
I assume I will be allowed to stunt my defense as well, which would reduce the damage dice by a further one.

I will admit, as a general question, I am uncertain as to whether or not I also get to apply my defense to the initial attack roll on decisive attacks as well as on withering attacks in the case of defend other. Has anyone seen an official ruling, or am I missing the appropriate line in the book?.

HalfTangible
2017-07-04, 09:11 AM
Decisive Attack on the Drunk

To hit (Dexterity 4 + Brawl 3)
[roll0] vs Defense of 2

Damage if needed (Unarmed - Bashing, Initiative 8):
[roll1]

She grinned, placing a finger on her cheek. "You wanna find a 'diversion' with me, boy? Cuz lemme tell you, I got-"

As Leopard stood between her and the drunk, she pouted. "Oh. Well that's fun too, I guess. I suppose I don't have a ship yet anyway."

Vary wagged her finger in the drunk's direction as he fumbled with his scabbard. "Hey, no blades. Have some respect for the bar."

She rushed at Leopard, bringing her elbow down to slam into the shorter man's face.

Withering Attack on Leopard
Initiative 8
Withering attack on Leopard
7 (Dexterity + Brawl) + 3 (Light Weapon Accuracy)
[roll0]

Damage depends on threshold successes, so I'll wait until after this.

HalfTangible
2017-07-04, 09:12 AM
Woops.

To hit
[roll0]

HalfTangible
2017-07-04, 01:39 PM
Withering Damage on Leopard
[roll0]

OracleofSilence
2017-07-04, 03:25 PM
Leopard grins as the woman changes her focus, bringing his still sheathed sword up in a blindingly fast approximation of a draw motion, allowing the sheath, and his slight sideways motion to divert the elbow smash's crushing force. "So, you got a name, lady? Or Are we doing this in stony silence."

DV starts at 7. 1 dice stunt to 8 (I described the action, and the system assumes 1 dice stunts for basically everything. 4 personal motes to bring that to 10 (I'm regening them anyway). Using the Single Point excellency.

Current Onslaught: -1

Personal: 9/13

Peripheral: 26/31 (5 attuned)

The attack is, I believe, parried

"Now then." Leopard rotates his weight backwards, snapping his sword, pommel first, directly into the drunk's forhead, sending him sprawling once again. "Are we going to continue this outside? Or have a pleasant conversation over drinks like a normal human"

Withering attack on the drunk. Once again, a bargain basement 1 dice stunt. 1 excellency mote from Personal. Onslaught resets.

Dex+Single Point+Accuracy+Specialty+Stunt [roll0]

Personal: 8/13

HalfTangible
2017-07-04, 03:40 PM
Leopard grins as the woman changes her focus, bringing his still sheathed sword up in a blindingly fast approximation of a draw motion, allowing the sheath, and his slight sideways motion to divert the elbow smash's crushing force. "So, you got a name, lady? Or Are we doing this in stony silence."

DV starts at 7. 1 dice stunt to 8 (I described the action, and the system assumes 1 dice stunts for basically everything. 4 personal motes to bring that to 10 (I'm regening them anyway). Using the Single Point excellency.

Current Onslaught: -1

The attack is, I believe, parried

"Now then." Leopard rotates his weight backwards, snapping his sword, pommel first, directly into the drunk's forhead, sending him sprawling once again. "Are we going to continue this outside? Or have a pleasant conversation over drinks like a normal human"

Withering attack on the drunk. Once again, a bargain basement 1 dice stunt. 1 excellency mote from Personal. Onslaught resets.

Dex+Single Point+Accuracy+Specialty+Stunt [roll0]

If Vary was surprised by the apparent monk's ability with a sword, she didn't show it. As she was thrown by the force of her elbow she whirled back around, almost as if she expected she'd need to dodge after the monk's parry.

"It's rude to demand someone's name without giving your own." She grinned. "Name's Varied Paths, but everyone calls me Vary. Come on, let's go outside and have some fun; I don't wanna break the bar and it's nice to have a challenge."

Initiative remains at 8 since the attack failed.

Volthawk
2017-07-04, 05:18 PM
As Nazir gets to the door, Leopard joins the fight, giving him pause. She's fairly competent, and it looks like she's as strong as her size suggests - it was rare that he came across someone his size. At the same time, unless something special happened, Leopard was a Solar, he shouldn't have any trouble. After a few moments, he makes a decision and speaks up, loud enough to be heard over the fight, his giant frame taking up all of the doorway. "She's right, Leopard. Get out here, both of you." He then steps outside, waiting for the others. For now, he'd merely watch - a good fight was enjoyable, after all - and he'd get involved if things developed so that both him and Leopard fighting was worthwhile.

Alright, Nazir's getting involved. Just gonna ignore the previous assumptions that Nazir knew she was a solar, guess he just underestimated her, maybe I'll edit my old posts to fit the agreed situation. That or he somehow knew she was a solar, but didn't join up then or introduce/mention her to Leopard.

For now, no JB, since he's merely observing at least for this round.

Gareth3
2017-07-05, 04:36 PM
The bartender sells Nazir a mug of wine. It's reasonably good but it could do with some more aging - people around here don't seem to like waiting for anything.

The drunkard collapses when Leopard hits him, and lies still. The bar goes silent and all the patrons glare at Leopard, until another man checks the drunkard's pulse. He nods to the crowd and they give a collective shrug and go back to drinking. The drunkard's friend drags him away.

A gaggle of people follow Vary and Leopard out the door, cheering them on.

The woman carrying the other end of the chest frowns at her crewmate. "Dude, shut up!" She turns to Falcatta, more apologetic than hostile. "We really can't talk about where we're going. Business, you know."

The man who spoke to Falcatta rolls his eyes. "He can always follow us, Ash, what's the point of secrecy? He's probably going to Seahaven with all the other idiots, anyway." He winces and turns to Falcatta. "Uh, no offense."

The pair continue carrying the chest and reach the gangplank. Falcatta will have to follow them into the ship to keep talking to them.

snakeobsidian
2017-07-05, 06:31 PM
"So, you are to meeting the Reavers, are you? Glad to see a group of fellas unafraid to go swimming with sharks either." Falcatta said, as he reaccomodated his hat, suddenly appearing more as a seasoned corsair, getting into the ship with them. "I was also just about to meet them too, how about that?"

"Where would the sharks go to eat this season, you sailors..." he muttered, as his hat let one ear out, to hear the idle chatter.

Using Seasoned Criminal Method to invoke a Familiarity distinction to the Reavers, and Perception +Awareness with Sensory Acuity Prana, with the Personal pool, to catch any idle chatter on the ship talking about where they are going.
Essence 1
Personal 3
Peripheral 47
Perception +Awareness [roll0]

snakeobsidian
2017-07-05, 06:35 PM
[roll0]
No mess to see around Here, people, love along~

OracleofSilence
2017-07-05, 07:10 PM
Leopard shrugs and follows the crowd out to the street. "Nice to meet you Varied. As the big guy said, you can call me Leopard. So. You don't really seem like a local tough or anything. You sail in here recently or something?" Leopard double checks the lether strap keeping his sword sheathed, then sets into an easy resting stance, blade resting on one shoulder and weight distributed evenly between both feet. "So you want to set any rules to this? Non-lethal, I should hope. To first hit? Submission?"

Join battle roll

Wits+Awareness+1m excellency [roll0]

Edit: 8 successes. Starting Initiative is 11

Personal 12/13

Peripheral: 28/33 (5 committed to artifact.)

Volthawk
2017-07-05, 07:28 PM
Nazir strolls out, past the two fighters to settle down on some boxes. He considers getting his smashfists ready - after all, any situation that makes him join in would suggest she's stronger than mortal, and thus they would be appropriate for the fight. He decides to refrain from it just yet, for now just having another drink from the mug and watching in anticipation of what's coming next.

Gareth3
2017-07-05, 07:50 PM
Ashes' frown vanishes, and she gestures to the chest she's carrying.
"Hey, good to see you. Grab one end of this."
Ash and the man who spoke first carry the chest through the ship and into the captain's cabin with Falcatta's help. When they're finished Ash turns back to Falcatta.
"Eh, I doubt we'll spend much time meeting with the Reavers. Get there, hit the ship, grab the jade, leave the other stuff for them, get out."

Amongst the mundane chatter Falcatta can hear someone talking in a strange accent, as if his mouth is deformed:
"...best we can do. We've marked the end of their course, but there's nothing else we can tell you. Not even a seamount for miles, no reason why they should..."

Looking up at the ship, Daryn can see a bald man with a strange bluish-gray tone to his skin handing a leather case to a member of the crew. They're too far away for him to hear what they're saying.

A slim, dark-haired woman sits down besides Nazir and watches the fight for a moment. Eventually she turns to him.
"You're new here? I think I'd remember you."

Volthawk
2017-07-05, 08:08 PM
Nazir grins and nods, taking another drink. "Yeah. Just arrived and my friend there's beat me to the good fight here." He looks over at her as the others prepare to resume the fight. "How about you? How long you been here?"

snakeobsidian
2017-07-05, 08:36 PM
Falcatta filters the chatter, and grins to himself, stopping at the sacred territory of another master of the sea, the captain' s cabin.

"I see, I see. Well, you will be needing lots of ships to tip that scale on your favor then. I shan't be stopping you around no more, got my own ship to get ready." He slipped out of the cabin. "Name is Falcatta Ren. Glad to make an aquaintance.

Stepping off the captain's cabin, he went around to find that particular chatter. As if all of the tongues on the ship shared on the same tone, he began homing on the one that sang out of line, hoping to scamper away with a little bit more info.

Rolling more on Perception + Awareness to spy on that conversation. Sensory Acuity Prana keeps on giving Doble 9s.
[roll0]
If there is none to argue otherwise, I shall grab an one point Stunt on here.
[roll1]

Gareth3
2017-07-05, 08:39 PM
Falcatta hears the deformed man again, who now sounds annoyed.
"...exactly what it looked like on the original Realm map! No island, no sandbar, no seamount, no bleeding magical underwater city. Not even courses of other ships, so there goes the hidden fleet theory. It was one course, starts in Arjuf, heads straight to Seahaven, stops dead halfway there. That's all we know, what do you want from us?"

Daryn can see the bald man gesturing wildly, but still can't hear him.

The woman smiles at Nazir. "I've been back and forth between here and An-Teng for years, buying and selling. Much less dangerous than piracy." She looks at the raucous mob surrounding the fighters. "Speaking of which, are you off chasing dragons like they are?"

HalfTangible
2017-07-05, 08:52 PM
Leopard shrugs and follows the crowd out to the street. "Nice to meet you Varied. As the big guy said, you can call me Leopard. So. You don't really seem like a local tough or anything. You sail in here recently or something?" Leopard double checks the lether strap keeping his sword sheathed, then sets into an easy resting stance, blade resting on one shoulder and weight distributed evenly between both feet. "So you want to set any rules to this? Non-lethal, I should hope. To first hit? Submission?"

Join battle roll

Wits+Awareness+1m excellency [roll0]

Edit: 8 successes. Starting Initiative is 11

Personal 12/13

Peripheral: 28/33 (5 committed to artifact.)

'No peaking' he says, as exactly what he rolled is revealed as soon as i quote it to respond :smalltongue:

Why hide your join battle roll?

Eh, why not.

Wits + Awareness (4)
[roll0] + 3 successes

Personal: 13/13
Peripheral: 33/33

"Vary." She corrected, cracking her knuckles. "And yeah. We go until you submit."

She readied herself and waited for him to strike first.

She considered fortifying her muscles with essence before the fight started, but decided against it. Strength didn't win battles, and this was more of a friendly rough-and-tumble than a duel to the death. She didn't need to finish it quickly, and she always liked putting on a show for the locals. (Besides, this one was kinda cute).

((Let's be honest here, unless I rolled all tens you probably won initiative))

Volthawk
2017-07-05, 09:02 PM
Nazir's expression become serious for a moment as she mentions dragons, still looking at her. "Yeah. Got some payback for one of them. It's been a long time coming." He relaxes again after a few more moments, looking back at the fight as it starts to kick off. "It's still pretty new to me. Trading and piracy and sailing and stuff. Just walked to places before. This kind of fighting is definitely not new."

Recaiden
2017-07-05, 09:51 PM
Looking up at the ship, Daryn can see a bald man with a strange bluish-gray tone to his skin handing a leather case to a member of the crew. They're too far away for him to hear what they're saying.

Well, he'll just have to get closer. He makes his way towards that odd-looking man, though he's more interested in the possibilities of that leather case than whatever he's...shouting? Certainly he looks excited.

OracleofSilence
2017-07-06, 01:07 AM
Leopard's attack starts almost as soon as Varied path enters her stance. Sliding forward smoothly his strike is blindingly quick, sheathed blade leaping out through Vary's guard towards her stomach. At the last second he releases the leather strap on the handle, causing the sheath to shoot out an extra few inches, extending the strike before quickly reaching out and slaming the polished case back over the blade, betraying only the tiniest flash of gold.

Activating Liquid Steel Flow! 5m from personal

Dex+MA+Speciality+Accuracy+stunt+1 succ: [roll0] +i succ

Attack succeeds. 1wp to make Liquid Steel Flow scene-long

Gareth3
2017-07-06, 02:55 AM
Daryn stands against the side of the ship and looks straight up at the two figures, in a way that should look very suspicious but every else ignores. He can see the bald man's blue-gray face clearly, two wide-set eyes, two slits for nostrils, and a wide, lipless mouth. He seems calmer now, and is standing over a sheet of paper that the other man has removed from the leather case and spread over a barrel. The crewman is gesturing at it and looks confused and frustrated. The angle is wrong for Daryn to see any of the paper, but he can hear both of them.
"...middle of nowhere, looks like a trap."
The bald man shakes his head and replies in a strange accent. "If it looks like a trap, it's not a very good trap. If they wanted to kill pirates, they'd just sail to Seahaven, wait until they were surrounded, then turn on their magical superweapons. No, they're specifically sailing here." He jabs at the paper for emphasis. "There must be something about this location that's useful for them, which means it's not just a trap."
"Easy for you to say."
"My... employers will be fighting alongside you. They are absolutely confident in this mission. You should be too. Anyway, you'll have to leave soon."
The crewman still looks dubious, but takes the paper and returns it to the case. The bald man disappears.

The woman winces when Nazir replies. "Not just about the treasure, then? I suppose that makes it harder to talk you out of it." She looks back down the docks, at the hundreds of ships. She seems to be imagining horrors. "'Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.' I have a feeling we'll need more than two."

Volthawk
2017-07-06, 05:09 AM
Nazir shakes his head, following her gaze to the ships. "Sorry. It's personal. The world will be better without him." He grins again. "Don't worry about me. I'm stronger and tougher than I look, strong enough to kill a dragon." As they look over at the ships, the fight kicking off behind them, he speaks again, sounding serious again. "They impress me, you know. Look at them, most of them are just normal people - not even the kind of soldiers they'll have on the ship. Still they get ready to go out and take on the Realm. Sure, money's less of a reason than a true cause, but still. Impressive. If I fight with them, I'll try to limit the damage to them." He chuckles, looking back at the fight. "Besides, rumour is most of them will miss it completely. Seems there's something more here." He holds up his cup of wine. "You thirsty?"

HalfTangible
2017-07-06, 07:58 AM
Leopard's attack starts almost as soon as Varied path enters her stance. Sliding forward smoothly his strike is blindingly quick, sheathed blade leaping out through Vary's guard towards her stomach. At the last second he releases the leather strap on the handle, causing the sheath to shoot out an extra few inches, extending the strike before quickly reaching out and slaming the polished case back over the blade, betraying only the tiniest flash of gold.

Activating Liquid Steel Flow! 5m from personal

Dex+MA+Speciality+Accuracy+stunt+1 succ: [roll0] +i succ

5 motes from personal to activate Spirit Strengthens the Skin.
Soak against your damage is increased to 12.
Initiative: 5

The sheath slammed into the 8 foot tall woman before she could react.

Oh that's why he's called Leopard. Makes sense.

HalfTangible
2017-07-06, 03:52 PM
As the sheath slammed into Vary, she reeled from the blow for a brief moment, sliding in the dirt.

She was stunned. This guy's blows hit like a cannon. Sure, she hadn't been knocked down, but that was beyond what any ordinary swordsman was capable of. Even with- no, especially with a sword that monstrous size. If she hadn't been sure of this man's secret power before, she was now.

Well. He wasn't the only one with strength beyond mortal ken.

She didn't have the forethought to grab the sheath before Leopard pulled it out of her range, but she did have an idea. It was mid-afternoon, and the sun was out. Maybe...

No, she was off-balance. Later. First she had to get rid of his sword. Even sheathed it was a massive pain.

Rather than get close to strike with her fists, Vary spun, bringing her foot up to kick at Leopard's head. She could feel strength and speed surging through her limb, and not for the first time she marvelled at the power of an Exaltation.

Spend 4 motes to enhance this attack (yay brawl excellency!)

Withering Attack
1 die stunt + 3 Brawl + 4 Dex + 3 LW Accuracy + 4 Brawl Excellency
[roll0]

Initiative 0
Personal: 4/13

HalfTangible
2017-07-06, 03:57 PM
Apparently I had one more die to roll for a 1 die stunt.

Who knew?

[roll0]

Gareth3
2017-07-06, 04:02 PM
A huge cheer goes up from the crowd as Vary staggers back from the blow. They seem to like an underdog, and have a very simple idea of who's the underdog.

Nazir and the woman are both sitting, but she has to tilt her head all the way back to look him in the eye. "Stronger and tougher than you look, eh? Hard to imagine that. Want to give me a demonstration?"

Volthawk
2017-07-06, 04:32 PM
Nazir grins, in response to both the fight and the woman, standing up and stretching. "Well, do you have anything in mind?"

OracleofSilence
2017-07-06, 04:38 PM
... Oh gods she was fast, and after a solid hit too. Leopard wasted no time or effort with a fancy or stylish parry. This swing was clearly much harder then her elbow strike in the bar and Leopard had even less of an interest in getting hit this time. The young Solar brings his sword up hard, offhand bracing the sheath against the blow and shifting his weight along an right angle to Varied Paths line of attack. Hopefully it would be enough...

Okay. Stunt, obviously and then 2m on defense. Parry starts at 7, gets stunted to 8, and is then raised to 9. Going to need to hope my slightly higher dice pool makes the difference.

HalfTangible
2017-07-06, 05:11 PM
With a resounding crack, Vary's leg slammed into Leopard's parrying blade. There was a backlash of wind from where the two fights connected (albeit only for an instant), and the two held position for a brief moment.

"... Gods, I have got to get you on my crew."

Gareth3
2017-07-06, 05:51 PM
The woman looks around uncertainly. "Uh..." She sees a very large merchant vessel docked between Falcatta's ship and the bar. It's badly damaged and floating at an alarming angle, and appears deserted.
"That's just a hulk. Crew docked it weeks ago, stripped it, and we haven't seen them since. It's taking up valuable dock space but no-one's organised enough to scuttle it. Get rid of it."

The ship is an empty Large Merchant Vessel, built to carry 3,000 tons of cargo but currently empty. Say how you're going to clear it from the dock and I'll give you the difficulty.

The crowd goes very quiet when Vary kicks at Leopard, then breaks into applause when they realise he blocked the kick.

OracleofSilence
2017-07-06, 08:05 PM
"You're impressive yourself. I might take you up on that." Leopard grins and throws a brief thumbs up to Nazir. "Got a job offer Brother! You interested?". Still this was for fun. Why not take a bit of a chance? Leopard focuses briefly discarding the few concerns he had for his own safety. He would land the strike. And if he did not, Fate had decided to punish him for his arrogance. There was no thought, beyond this point simply a blindingly fast snap of his sword back to his waist, then an even faster stroke, perfectly aligned to slip through Varied Path's guard and capitalize on her more vulnerable state, but carefully angled to daze rather then break or worse.

Decisive attack time! Activating Fatal Stroke Flash and triggering the decisive option of Liquid Steel Flow. I am an idiot. I am such an idiot.

Dex+MA+Duels+Excellency (3)+Stunt [roll0]+1 automatic success from Liquid Steel Flow

4m, spent (wp cost is waived by Liquid Steel Flow). From personal. Liquid Steel Flow ends.

Personal: 3/13
Peripheral: 28/33 (5 committed)
Willpower: 5/6

HalfTangible
2017-07-06, 08:36 PM
Prepare! yelled a voice that wasn't her own. You only have one chance, make it count!

Sometimes, a warrior just knows.

There's a tingle on her spine, a slight twitch to his lips, a breeze through the air, and the warrior realizes she's about to die. Her body moves before she can think, and whatever was coming is cast aside. But Vary was no fool; this swordsman had put her on the ropes from the very start of the fight.

Well, came the voice again, I never asked for the odds.

The voice was right. She hadn't.

She didn't know the name of the stance she took, nor why she was bringing her palms down at this exact angle. But her opponent was moving, and she would be ready for him.

Her forehead began to glow...

Initiative 0
Personal: 4/13

+5 motes for the start of a new round

Initiative 0

-3m Durability of Oak Meditation (reduces raw damage of your decisive attack by 2)

Stunting my defense, so it goes from 4 to 5. If the attack hits (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, "if". I'm a comedy genius) I'll also activate Spirit Strengthens the Sun, and pay 7m to double my soak from 7 to 14. That pulls one from my peripheral, so Vary's caste mark starts to glow, assuming she lives.

-7m Spirit Strengthens the Sun

Initiative 0
Personal: 0/13
Peripheral: 32/33

If you rolled less than 29 damage, she's still up and conscious. If more, she's out. Either way her mark probably starts glowing, albeit not a lot, since it's 1 mote and the minimum to move up to 'glowing like the sun' is 5.

Volthawk
2017-07-06, 08:53 PM
Nazir chuckles as Leopard throws a comment his way, calling back a quick response. "Think we've got work covered! Still see if we can't work something out, eh? She's not half bad." He then turns to look at the ship the woman pointed put to him and laughs. "That? No problem. You're talking to the man who has wrestled down tyrant lizards here." He then removes his buff jacket quickly - the armour would be more cumbersome than useful - and walks towards the ship.

Before he begins, he takes a moment before he starts to focus himself, channeling some Essence into his muscles to bring his raw strength that little bit past the normal limits of humanity. The smashfists go onto his hands, a few fists and gestures to make sure they're on properly, and then it's time to get to work. Walking down the dock, anything attaching the ship to the docks get removed - a few ropes are effortless ripped apart, chains links broken and finally when he walks aboard the bridge between ship and boat is picked up and thrown aside. He initially only spends a little time onboard, enough to pull up the anchor before leaping into the dock and getting the ship moving, hammering and pushing and it with his smashfists to get it moving.

As it starts moving out away from the dock, Nazir jumps after it, Essence surging into his arms as he lands a barrage of blows from the water, ensuring it keeps heading out into open water, the lack of levarage seeming to matter little. The final punch of the set makes a hole large enough for Nazir. Now in the bowels of the ship, the effects of his earlier blows already causing some damage, he finished the job, smashing and ripping up boards with ease, as a normal man may tear sheets of paper. As the ship starts to sink, he swims out back to the docks, pulling himself back up next to the woman and laughing. "See?" Sure he was now wet and the whole thing was quite an exertion, tiring him somewhat, but all in all Nazir rather enjoyed that.

Rolls here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=22168832&postcount=87), in summary:

Increasing Strength Technique active and a 3 die Excellency used (total of 6m peripheral, spend over different instants so no anima), smashfists worn and used for the job.
Challenge 1: Success, 5 threshold
Challenge 2: Success, 7 threshold
Challenge 3: Success, 9 threshold

Safe to say this is taking a few rounds at the least, while the fight potentially winds up. This includes the caste mark thing, which was posted while I was part way through the post.

snakeobsidian
2017-07-06, 10:21 PM
Falcatta frowned. "Between Arjuf and Seahaven" was not the exact position he wanted, and told him nothing, unless he went right there to interrupt the conversation, and snatch those maps. Or did it? He pictured himself back at his own ship, unfurling the maps at his cabin. Realm maps. Guild maps. He pictured the crunch of the papers in his mind.
He saw the route realm ships would take, always the same, like a half forgotten ritual, and began erasing parts of the mind map, those parts crisscrossing land, patrols, and legends. The ship is stranded in nothing, or already reached its destination there. The map had now been erased of everywhere known. It would stand to logic he could find the route to find it on the unknown.

On the maps the deformed man discussed, light shone directly, as if the the very eyes of the sun had briefly observed over them, and exerted a hidden power...

Rolling Intelligence + Sail to make up location on a mental map, and adding 4m from Solar Sail for extra 4 dice.
[roll0]
Grabbing an one point stunt here~
[roll1]
Essence 1
Personal 3
Peripheral 43

HalfTangible
2017-07-06, 10:53 PM
CRACK

The force of the blow sounded like a cannon going off.

Leopard's sheathed blade had gone between Vary's hands, and slammed into her. The blade's massive size meant that she had been struck all along her torso, and had the blade been unsheathed she likely would have died instantly. Even sheathed, an ordinary mortal would not have survived such a blow, and yet there she stood, shell-shocked but very much alive.

And to Leopard, it was abundantly clear why.

The mark, while not bright enough to alert the townsfolk, was perfectly visible from his position. A golden circle, with a sunburst pattern around it.

She was of the Forsaken.

".... Heh. I lose..." She grinned, blood leaking out of the corner of her mouth. "Good... fight..."

Then she slid down and collapsed face first into the dirt.

((She's unconscious now.))

OracleofSilence
2017-07-07, 12:34 AM
Leopard stands stunned. A rush of normal sensation and feeling return as his focus returns from wherever he had pushed it just before the stroke landed. He saw the mark on Varied Path's forehead heard her response and was barely had time to consider a response before she collapsed. He carefully shifts the giant back over straining considerably as he does so. Clears here airways, double checks the pulse and checks around his blades impact sight for any broken bones or internal injuries, not that it would have been terrible difficult to notice if there were any considering just how hard that technique had made him hit. She was alive. That much was certain. And based off that mark which had briefly appeared on her brow she was also Anathema.

Still this had been meant as a friendly fight and that meant there were rules to follow. motions for someone in the crowd the help him heave the woman upright and help bring her back inside the bar and laying her back on a more comfortable surface. This done, he quickly paid at the bar for a bit of semi recognizable food and a pot of tea. The Quality was pretty low in a place like this but at least the water would be boiled, and alcohol could be a terrible idea after a fight despite what local toughs always thought. And with that he waits, carefully holding a damp cloth to her forehead as he does. Depending on how things went he might leave after this, but she at least deserved an apology and an explanation.

No actual rolls here, but rather indicating to Gareth3 to either time-skip to the end of her unconsciousness (basically end the scene), or add an interruption depending on hat you think is appropriate.

Gareth3
2017-07-07, 02:03 AM
The crowd may have been supporting Leopard, but they show no enthusiasm when Vary is hit and collapses. They can't see her caste mark, but it's clear something weird happened if Leopard hit that hard and Vary wasn't more badly injured. Instead of cheers, there's worried murmuring. The crowd starts to drift away, mostly to their ships rather than the bar. The bartender immediately and silently helps Leopard with Vary, a wary expression on his face.

In his mind's eye, Falcatta sees the direct route from Arjuf, on the South Coast of the Blessed Isle, to Seahaven, close to the Southern end of the Western archipelago. It's not common, most of the Realm ships hug the coast, sail across to Wu Jian, and work their way down the islands. But if you want speed or secrecy, and don't mind storms or pirates... He remembers what the man said: "...starts in Arjuf, heads straight to Seahaven, stops dead halfway there." What if that's literal, and accurate? He sees a little ship-symbol travel halfway along the route and stop. Half of the travel time and half of the distance is about the same here. What's there, where the ship stops? Absolutely nothing, just like the man was describing so forcefully. Could it be that simple?

The ship sinks with surprising speed once Nazir has punched enough holes, leaving only a few timbers floating on the surface. When he returns the woman is awestruck.
"Grace of the Dragons. What are you, some kind of Exigent? Sorry, never mind that. Let's go back to the bar and get you some dry clothes, we owe you that much. I'm Eta, by the way."

Volthawk
2017-07-07, 08:18 AM
Nazir chuckles. "Like I said, even stronger than I look. I'm Nazir." He follows her back to the bar, as well as needing to change he worked up a bit of a thirst there.

Once he's dried off, Nazir puts on fresh clothes and his buff jacket, and orders another drink. He walks over to Leopard and the woman, taking a swig before talking. "So you won then. Missed most of it, ended up destroying a ship. What did you think of her? She seemed not half bad, given our level of skill."

Recaiden
2017-07-07, 09:46 AM
Daryn stands against the side of the ship and looks straight up at the two figures, in a way that should look very suspicious but every else ignores. He can see the bald man's blue-gray face clearly, two wide-set eyes, two slits for nostrils, and a wide, lipless mouth. He seems calmer now, and is standing over a sheet of paper that the other man has removed from the leather case and spread over a barrel. The crewman is gesturing at it and looks confused and frustrated. The angle is wrong for Daryn to see any of the paper, but he can hear both of them.
"...middle of nowhere, looks like a trap."
The bald man shakes his head and replies in a strange accent. "If it looks like a trap, it's not a very good trap. If they wanted to kill pirates, they'd just sail to Seahaven, wait until they were surrounded, then turn on their magical superweapons. No, they're specifically sailing here." He jabs at the paper for emphasis. "There must be something about this location that's useful for them, which means it's not just a trap."
"Easy for you to say."
"My... employers will be fighting alongside you. They are absolutely confident in this mission. You should be too. Anyway, you'll have to leave soon."
The crewman still looks dubious, but takes the paper and returns it to the case. The bald man disappears.

What is he? That's the first question on Daryn's mind, but there's a more immediate opportunity here.

In the instant between the paper entering the case and the crewman closing the case back up, Daryn has his hands on the map, slipping it out of it's proper container and into a pocket of his vest. Easy as can be, nothing to see, all over in the time the crewman was busy blinking.

Using Flawless Pickpocketing Technique, which I think should cover this.
And the bald creature disappears before he can really get a good look.
Seems he'll have to find out indirectly. Probably not by pushing his luck on this ship, not yet. He heads back to the dock amidst the crew going to collect the last bit of supplies.

OracleofSilence
2017-07-07, 03:25 PM
"Well, she mostly got unlucky this time." Leopard motions for Nazir to take a seat before he continues. "She showed a mark briefly. Golden. So I'd guess she could be closer to where we are and just. You know. Does other things instead. Got to tell you though, I really screwed up on this one. Shoulda asked someone in the crowd to give me a different sword. And I probably could have killed her at the end of that if she wasn't so tough."

HalfTangible
2017-07-07, 03:41 PM
At around that moment, Vary stirred, groaning.

She looked up, blinking blearily for a few moments.

"Everything's aching." She informed them. "But I won't be down long, and I'm more of a commander than a fighter anyway. Not that that wasn't fun, cuz it was."

She glanced at Leopard. "'Where we are', huh? So it's not just you, then. He's... one of those too."

Volthawk
2017-07-07, 03:48 PM
Nazir grins, apparently taking all of this in his stride. "That explains it. Exactly like us, or like the others?" As Vary starts talking, he nods in response to her insinuation that he's also one of them, and offers her the drink. "A commander, huh. Not us. More direct than that."

snakeobsidian
2017-07-07, 08:27 PM
Falcatta saw the ship marked on the mental route, down in the middle of nowhere. That was as near as anyone could get, he reckoned, without actually sailing off and watching that ship on the flesh. Finding that rumored lunar from the Reavers could help, but perhaps if there was any supernatural assistance he could find... But that mystery would have to wait, as he had more obligations to fulfill. He strolled to the bar, where hopefully he could find a fellow Merchant to conduct other business to. As he went there, he noticed the trashed barge that was parked at a side of his own ship had finally sank.

"Well, I won't need to fear my Goldfeather Hawk getting termites from that no more. The rats, though..."

But inside the bar, there was something different.

"Oh, hey!" He went, as he stepped inside. "What a coincidence, meeting you here. Oh! And I was just thinking about how amazing you two are! You two should hear about thi..."

He cocked his head, and looked at Vary.

Who's her? She looks beaten up. Did you guys have a brawl on that piece of driftwood out there?
Because if the rats there all swam on my Hawk..."

Volthawk
2017-07-07, 08:37 PM
Nazir laughs. "The ship was me. Sunk it while the others fought. I got it away from the docks first, doubt the rats had a chance to get away." He gestures over to wherever Eta is. "Got to talking to her during the fight. She challenged me to get rid of it, a demonstration of strength. She didn't expect me to do it so well though."

HalfTangible
2017-07-08, 01:03 AM
Falcatta saw the ship marked on the mental route, down in the middle of nowhere. That was as near as anyone could get, he reckoned, without actually sailing off and watching that ship on the flesh. Finding that rumored lunar from the Reavers could help, but perhaps if there was any supernatural assistance he could find... But that mystery would have to wait, as he had more obligations to fulfill. He strolled to the bar, where hopefully he could find a fellow Merchant to conduct other business to. As he went there, he noticed the trashed barge that was parked at a side of his own ship had finally sank.

"Well, I won't need to fear my Goldfeather Hawk getting termites from that no more. The rats, though..."

But inside the bar, there was something different.

"Oh, hey!" He went, as he stepped inside. "What a coincidence, meeting you here. Oh! And I was just thinking about how amazing you two are! You two should hear about thi..."

He cocked his head, and looked at Vary.

Who's her? She looks beaten up. Did you guys have a brawl on that piece of driftwood out there?
Because if the rats there all swam on my Hawk...""Call me Vary. Also, thanks for sparing my vanity." She rolled her eyes.

Nazir laughs. "The ship was me. Sunk it while the others fought. I got it away from the docks first, doubt the rats had a chance to get away." He gestures over to wherever Eta is. "Got to talking to her during the fight. She challenged me to get rid of it, a demonstration of strength. She didn't expect me to do it so well though."

She raised an eyebrow. "Wait, you scuttled a ship in the time it took to finish that fight? That's unreal."

Gareth3
2017-07-08, 01:05 AM
Eta looks around at the others.
"They're with you? All right, you've done us a big favour, so I'll give you some free advice. First, don't buy the kvass from this place. Some Northerners swapped it for baijiu a month ago, then we found out it really doesn't travel well. Second, if you find the Hearthfire, just... do what you have to and get out, as fast as you can. Don't stay anywhere near that ship for a moment more than you have to. Third, if you find a white jade box on the Hearthfire, bring it to us."
She hands Nazir a card with two addresses - one in Heaven's Gate itself, one in the An-Teng City of The Steel Lotus.
"Either is fine. If the seal's still intact we'll give you an excellent price for it."

The crewman walks towards the helm, carrying the empty case and ignoring Daryn. The bald man walks off the ship, muttering something under his breath. One of the other crew shouts out to the docks. "Casting off in two minutes!"

Volthawk
2017-07-08, 07:05 AM
Nazir takes the card, trying (and failing) to look like he's reading and understanding it before passing it over to Falcatta - these kinds of trade contacts were more his area of expertise. "Guess that baijiu was what I had at first. Any reason for not hanging around on the ship?"

Recaiden
2017-07-08, 10:33 AM
Plans flit through Daryn's head, but with 'two minutes to go' most of them are dashed.

His paper prize acquired, he shadows the bald man off the ship, settling into a more conventional 'following someone through the city' pattern. So his 'employers' think they know something about the Hearthfire that everyone else doesn't...

This man seems strange enough that he might well notice-the unnoticeable. He moves from place to place like a chameleon: first just another dockworker, then just another beggar, then just another old man tottering down the street. Just another face in the crowd, not even going the same direction as you (at any given moment)
Stealth [roll0] with 3m of excellency.

HalfTangible
2017-07-08, 05:54 PM
"You guys are heading for the Hearthfire too, eh?" Vary pulled herself up, wincing a little. "Got a ship yet?"

snakeobsidian
2017-07-08, 08:35 PM
Falcatta grabbed the paper, and guarded it under his clothes. Now this was a quasi-legitimate business he could get behind. Apart from the part where the ship was loaded in Jade, and probably abandoned to the mercy of the seas.

"And this is where we must all move this conversation." He said, turning to the exit. "You can all come aboard mine."

Volthawk
2017-07-08, 08:57 PM
Nazir nods, offering Vary a hand getting up and over to their ship. "Yeah, he's got one. It's been working alright for us. Could always do with another, if we start working together."

Gareth3
2017-07-09, 01:16 AM
Eta shrugs, following the group out the door. "I don't know. My boss just treats attacking the Hearthfire as suicide, no matter how awesome you are. She won't even loan people money if they're joining the fleet." She adopts a comical High Realm accent. "I can't send debt collectors to the Underworld!"

The bald man walks briskly down the dock towards the bar. He's alert and paying attention to his surroundings, but taking no precautions against being followed. Halfway down, he sniffs the air suspiciously.

Senses to find Daryn: [roll0]

The bald man doesn't appear to sense anything, and continues down the dock. Daryn sees Nazir, Vary, Leopard, Eta, and Falcatta coming the other way.

HalfTangible
2017-07-09, 02:41 PM
Nazir nods, offering Vary a hand getting up and over to their ship. "Yeah, he's got one. It's been working alright for us. Could always do with another, if we start working together."

Despite her trembling, Vary was able to walk. She glanced back at Eta. "A suicide mission sounds fun."

She was afraid of the Realm, but the potential prize was worth it.

OracleofSilence
2017-07-09, 03:53 PM
"He probably is right though. About the ship being a deathtrap. If nothing else, for the Hearthfire being a secret treasure ship, everyone and their uncle seems to know about it." Leopard follows the rest out of the bar, paying out the barkeep as he does so. "So who is this master of yours?
Assuming you'really imitating him, he''s from the Realm too. Or wants pepole to think he is."

Recaiden
2017-07-09, 05:24 PM
Oh, what fortunate (?) timing.
As the group passes by, Daryn spins on his heel and stops actively blending in, falling in with Nazir, Leopard and the rest as if he'd been walking with them the whole time.

"Hello everybody. Who's this you've picked up?"

Volthawk
2017-07-09, 05:32 PM
"Oh, Daryn. There you are. The big one's Vary, might be fighting with her against the Hearthfire, she's like me and Leopard. The other one's Eta, sunk a boat for her." Nazir doesn't really question his appearance - such subtlety was usual for Dayrn, after all.

Gareth3
2017-07-10, 01:01 AM
Eta nods. "Mistress rather than master, but you're right, she comes from the Realm. Not like that! I mean, she was born and raised there, but she never got any magic powers, so she went rogue and stole her family's ship. She doesn't work for the Realm now."

HalfTangible
2017-07-11, 02:34 PM
"I've got my own ship, and I keep the crew well-drilled. That should help even the odds a bit."

Eta nods. "Mistress rather than master, but you're right, she comes from the Realm. Not like that! I mean, she was born and raised there, but she never got any magic powers, so she went rogue and stole her family's ship. She doesn't work for the Realm now."

"Ah. We'll think on it."

snakeobsidian
2017-07-11, 05:10 PM
"Two ships! We have a little fleet in our hands, do we?" Falcatta said, as they walked to his. "I see our number has increased! I assume you also have found some business with a treasure ship too,
Daryn?"

Recaiden
2017-07-12, 03:45 PM
"I found a map." Daryn explains, unfolding his prize.
"That ship that was tearing out of the harbor thinks they've found the real route of the treasure. Take a look."

Gareth3
2017-07-13, 12:40 AM
The map Daryn unfolds shows exactly what Falcatta imagined: A course plotted from Arjuf in the direction of Seahaven, stopping halfway there. It also shows the stopping point surrounded by completely blank ocean, with no indication why that point is important. It's even marked with instructions on how to confirm the location by observing the stars, since there's no landmarks within sight.

Eta looks at the map. "Huh. If it's just a trap, why bother going to that exact spot?"

HalfTangible
2017-07-13, 12:48 AM
Vary stared at the map a moment before looking up to the others. "Are we sure this map is accurate? There could be things here we're not seeing. Perhaps they're going to meet one of those sea gods. Or maybe they need to perform some spell and this spot is necessary because of... I dunno, the stars?"

She frowned and rubbed her chin. "There's very little reason to go to that spot tactically speaking, if this is a trap. Aside from making all who find it think 'this can't possibly be a trap', I mean." She glanced between them again. "If we're talking pure tactics and strategy I'd almost say they want to get sunk."

Volthawk
2017-07-13, 08:27 AM
After a few moments, Nazir chips in.
"Must be the box. We don't know what's in there. They do. We don't know why they're doing this. They do. Same thing for both, they explain each other."

Recaiden
2017-07-13, 11:23 AM
"No idea if it's accurate, but given what it shows, why would it exist at all if it weren't real?"
Daryn looks up at Vary with interest.
"Maybe they do want to get sunk. Or at least someone involved with plotting the course, if not the ship's own crew."

Gareth3
2017-07-13, 02:34 PM
At the mention of the box, Eta opens her mouth to speak, then appears to change her mind and remains silent.

snakeobsidian
2017-07-14, 08:35 PM
Falcatta notices that odd sign from the newcomer, as if she had something to say. He feigns ignorance, as he scrolls the map close again, first suspicions confirmed.

"Just as I had predicted. Figured as much just by snooping on some gossip." He said, rubbing his handsome chin. "Now, we could just get there while they meet with the Reavers, or find out if there are indeed more supernatural players on this game. Of the not-so-adhered-to-the-divine-order variety."

He glanced at the tavern girl Eta as she spoke these words. How faithful was she to the Inmaculate ABCs? Her mistress came from the Realm... No powers for her... Do they still follow their customs, or have they rebelled in a more spiritual way?

Perception + Socialize roll, no extra juice on here: [roll0]
Finding Intimacies, how faithful is this girl to the Inmaculate Jazz?
Essence 1
Personal 3
Peripheral 43

Gareth3
2017-07-14, 11:57 PM
Eta points at the ship the map came from. "Look, it's leaving."
The ship has cast off and is sailing North, apparently not delayed by the missing map. Sailors are returning to the other ships on the docks, and are preparing to leave.

Eta has no intimacies related to the Immaculate Philosophy.

Volthawk
2017-07-15, 06:58 PM
Nazir follows her gaze, looking over the assorted sailors and their preparations to leave before looking at Falcatta and Vary. "Guess it's reaching that time. What's the plan? If Vary's with us, me or Leopard should go to her ship. Split our power."

Recaiden
2017-07-17, 10:18 AM
"If it's a trap - and we are expecting a trap somewhere, aren't we? - we should keep our strength together."

"If we must, you go with Vary, the faster ship follows the new map while the other keeps to the original chasing course."

Volthawk
2017-07-17, 06:44 PM
Nazir looks a little confused. "I thought we were going together. Just meant having us on both ships as they both moved out and attacked. Give both ships power in the offensive, attack from other sides. Prevent them ganging up."

HalfTangible
2017-07-17, 07:33 PM
"I have to agree." Vary looked between them. "The ships should go together. When we find the Hearthfire, we need to strike together, else we're just splitting ourselves into smaller chunks for the Dragon-Blooded to deal with."

"I say we follow the new map. If they're wrong we can try something else." She glanced out at the retreating sails. "And if they're right, they might soften the DBs up for us. Leopard'll come with me, the rest in the other ship."

Gareth3
2017-07-19, 01:10 AM
As both ships get ready, the sun climbs higher in the sky. By the time they cast off, the weather goes from "laundry" to "blast furnace". The mortal crew are all exhausted, covered in a film of sweat that doesn't dry in the humidity. Even the Solars are uncomfortable, although the heat doesn't significantly slow them down. A mile or so North of Heaven's Gate, a reef of jagged black volcanic rocks break the water.

Whoever's piloting each ship, roll Wits+Sail.

HalfTangible
2017-07-19, 09:51 AM
"Soooo, Leopard." Vary purred, glancing at her new passenger. "I've seen a lot of men move, but you were a cut above. Where did you learn to-"

Her cheery tone died as she saw the volcanic rocks breaking the surface.

"... Zelos be with us." She grabbed the wheel and started turning the ship towards the nearest break between the rocks she could see. "Hold on tight, everyone, this is gonna get hot!"

Vary had drilled her crew to a status that any mortal crew would envy. They moved like a well oiled machine, but she hadn't pushed them as hard as she could have. She'd thought that her crew didn't need the extra pain and suffering in their training regimen. It was a decision that she was beginning to regret, in hindsight.

Crew has already been enhanced through League of Iron Preparation, but not Tiger Warrior Training Technique.

Wits (2) + Sail (2)
[roll0]

Gareth3
2017-07-19, 03:16 PM
Vary's ship passes through the gap in the rocks. There's no hidden rocks below the surface and the ship clears the reef undamaged, with no significant delay.

snakeobsidian
2017-07-19, 05:26 PM
Falcatta was relaxing over the wheel. A short walk towards nothing, until they reached the prize, on his own land. Kings may have their castles, but his Hawk went wherever he wanted. And there was a crew of Solars on his ship, so there was nothing that could ever go wro...

Jagged rocks sprouted from the water. Vary's ship passed them, and he was next.

"So it was not just nothing after all!" He said, spinning Fortune's wheel.
"Everybody get ready for a bumpy ride!"

Falcatta maneuvers behind Vary's ship, and holds for impact. His wheel was his throne, and volcanic rocks do not scratch a castle's walls at all.

[roll0]

OracleofSilence
2017-07-19, 05:35 PM
"An uncle. He ran a dojo in Chiaroscuro, and I was sent to live thee after my parents died." Leopard pauses till the ship clears the rocks. "I had nothing to do but practice for years. The rest is just Anathema magic and Silence." he indicates the daiklave. "Sorry about that by the way. Should have asked someone for a normal sword outside the tavern. Would have made things more even."

HalfTangible
2017-07-19, 07:23 PM
"An uncle. He ran a dojo in Chiaroscuro, and I was sent to live thee after my parents died." Leopard pauses till the ship clears the rocks. "I had nothing to do but practice for years. The rest is just Anathema magic and Silence." he indicates the daiklave. "Sorry about that by the way. Should have asked someone for a normal sword outside the tavern. Would have made things more even."

"Aw, you don't gotta worry about that, babe. I like it rough." She winked.

"...Anathema, huh." She mused, her tone fading to darkness as she turned to look out at the sea. "Ya really believe that? That we're just demons in human skin?"

Gareth3
2017-07-19, 08:50 PM
Falcatta's ship sails neatly through the gap, just behind Vary's, and both continue North. The islands disappear over the horizon. The only thing visible on the open ocean, far to the North, is a single ship. Perhaps it's the same one they stole the map from. The sky is a cloudless blue dome with the sun blazing at the zenith. Now that there's less work to do, the mortal crew on both ships try to find some combination of breeze and shade to avoid the heat.

OracleofSilence
2017-07-20, 12:32 AM
"Does it really make a difference? Most of the world thinks we are." Leopard shrugs taking a look at the ship and crew as he does so. "And here we are, setting out to rob the Realm of it's treasures. So maybe they're right." Leopard offers a grin, perhaps not as full as he would have hoped, before continuing. "I mean, I don't feel like a demon, but would I? Regardless, you have a different thought on the matter?"

HalfTangible
2017-07-20, 01:44 AM
"Does it really make a difference? Most of the world thinks we are." Leopard shrugs taking a look at the ship and crew as he does so. "And here we are, setting out to rob the Realm of it's treasures. So maybe they're right." Leopard offers a grin, perhaps not as full as he would have hoped, before continuing. "I mean, I don't feel like a demon, but would I? Regardless, you have a different thought on the matter?"

Vary let one of her crew take the wheel from her. She wasn't the best sailor in the world, but she was fairly competent. Right now, though, she didn't need to be a sailor; she had a soldier in need of integration. "To the Hunt it doesn't matter at all. It truly wouldn't matter if we were demons or particularly talented stage magicians; we're their enemy, we have to die."

She turned her gaze back to him. "But you're one of us. It should matter more to you than to anyone."

"You don't need to be a demon to be an enemy of the Realm." Vary waved her arm towards her crew. "I would die for any of the men on this boat. I feel pride in their strength, and anger when they pass. I love my friends and family, I like boys with muscles, I wanna fight strong guys. That doesn't feel like what a demon would want to me."

"If you can't trust how you feel, trust how you act. I have spent my time since taking my Second Breath preaching the word of Zelos, fighting battles too tough for me and generally having a good time just as Vary would've wanted. I'd say that makes me Vary." She raised an eyebrow. "What kind of man have you been?"

Gareth3
2017-07-22, 01:56 AM
End of Session 1

Gareth3
2017-07-22, 02:12 AM
Start of Session 2

As the ships sail Northwest, the temperature cools until the weather is muggy rather than broiling. White clouds cover most of the sky. The ship the map came from is always visible, a dot on the horizon in the direction of their goal. Five days after the little fleet passes the reef, the dot grows and its outline is visible. It's also moving to the East, nowhere near either of the possible positions of the Hearthfire. It looks like it's turned to avoid something only it can see.

All characters get 5 XP each. Daryn gets 2 Solar XP for stealing the map. You can spend the XP now and apply the new traits to your next post, or save it. If you want to have done or said something during the 5 days, put it at the top of your post. Once you've dealt with the new XP, any character can roll Wits+Sail, Wits+Survival, or Perception+Awareness, or use charms to find out what's going on.

Volthawk
2017-07-22, 07:02 AM
During his time aboard Falcatta's ship, Nazir has picked up a decent understanding of sailing and what needs to be done, and so during the voyage he put his strength to work where it was needed - after all, what took some effort for the crew was effortless for him.

At the moment, however, Nazir was taking a break, sitting at the tip of the ship's prow, legs hanging off the edge and a drink in hand. This was a preferred spot for Nazir, somewhere where he can keep an eye on what's coming even while he relaxes. At the moment, keeping an eye on things meant watching the other ship and what it does, as well as the ocean around them - after that reef, Nazir was sure that there was more to come.

Wits+Survival: [roll0] - 6 successes

Gonna save that XP, next on my list is either a charm or Dex 4.

Gareth3
2017-07-23, 02:17 AM
Nazir feels the wind and the humidity, and sees the pattern of the clouds as they stretch out towards the horizon. He realises there's a massive storm directly in their path. The other ship has obviously seen it directly and is steering around it.

Volthawk
2017-07-23, 09:19 AM
Nazir looks out ahead a little longer, making sure he's right, before getting up and turning around, bellowing out a warning. "Storm ahead! Big one!"

HalfTangible
2017-07-23, 10:35 AM
During the 5 days before we hit the storm, I start drilling my soldiers w/Tiger Warrior training technique.

WP: 4/5
Motes will definitely recover by the time we arrive

Perception 3 + Awareness 2
[roll0]

If you wanna continue the conversation, do so and we'll have a time bubble or something

Recaiden
2017-07-23, 10:55 AM
Recast Cirrus Skiff with Indefinite Duration

Spending 4XP to raise Charisma to 2

As they leave Heaven's Gate, Daryn spends time chatting with the crew proper, getting to know them. He doesn't know his starboard from his jib, but he'd like to get a feel for what brings a normal, non-demon-possessed person out on a mad chase like this. Or is it just another job?

That and calling his cloud back. It had gotten lost in the city somewhere, but with just a minute of whistling for it, it had come hissing up out of the ocean to hover around the crow's nest. That's where he is now, up at the very top of the ship, as far as you can get from the ocean, eyes scanning the horizon for the first sign of something new.

[roll0] Wits+survival.

snakeobsidian
2017-07-23, 01:06 PM
Falcatta kept studying the map, trying to figure out the ship's destiny, when the ship.was not in need of steering. He tried to get into the minds of the Realm captains, and match the cargo with the course, but the purpose was not yet clear. There was no answer yet, but he was sure he would get some when he arrived.

A storm warning took him away from that rare leisure. He emerged from the Captain's Quarters.

"A storm ahead? Can we get though it? Prepare for a rough sail!"

I'll keep my Xp at the moment.
[roll0]
Also, is it plausible for my ship to have the effects of Ship-Claiming Stance, with all PCs aboard welcomed?

Volthawk
2017-07-23, 01:18 PM
When Falcatta emerges, Nazir walks over to him. "Not sure. They're trying to get around it." He points at where the other ship is turning eastwards. "Could just follow them that way, over east. Unless you see a better way?"

Gareth3
2017-07-23, 03:00 PM
Peering out with superhuman eyesight, Vary can see the ship ahead of them clearly. The nameplate says QUICKSILVER. The deck looks bare, everything not essential has been taken below, and everything essential has been firmly tied down. The Quicksilver seems to be expecting extreme weather. Beyond the ship, Vary can see a vague darkness in the clouds, just on the edge of the horizon.

Daryn sees nothing unusual. Falcatta can see that there's a massive storm ahead, which they'll reach before sunset if they continue on their present course. Sailing around it will delay them by several days, but sailing through it could blow them off course or damage the ship. Ship-Claiming Stance is fine to use.

HalfTangible
2017-07-25, 10:26 AM
Vary hung from the crow's nest of her ship with one hand, frowning at the clouds. It could be nothing worth worrying about...

She whistled down to her crew. "OI! There's dark clouds ahead, and the Quicksilver's turning!! I think it's a storm. We're gonna try and go around it, y'hear?!"

...but she doubted it.

Gareth3
2017-07-25, 06:51 PM
Vary's crew look warily at the horizon, but don't seem to see anything. They get to work anyway, having learning to trust their captain.

Wits+Sail to turn to avoid the storm with the minimum of delay.

snakeobsidian
2017-07-25, 06:53 PM
"Well, my crew takes baths regularly." Joked Falcatta. "If we go inside that storm, we'll have to fight it all night."

He climbed the stairs to the steering wheel.

"We're following that ship to see some Lunars, or so the rumors say." He boasted. "We can't afford to lose them on the storm. Get ready for the tilt!"

HalfTangible
2017-07-25, 08:57 PM
Wits (2) + Sail (2)
[roll0]

Gareth3
2017-07-25, 10:45 PM
Vary's ship turns to follow the Quicksilver's course. Falcatta's crew look as skeptical as Vary's, but they prepare for the course change.

Wits+Sail for Falcatta to make the turn correctly.

snakeobsidian
2017-07-27, 04:48 PM
Wits + Sail
[roll0]

Gareth3
2017-07-27, 08:42 PM
Falcatta's ship turns to follow Vary's and the Quicksilver. After a few hours they have their closest approach to the storm. It's visible as a dark gray smudge along half of the Noth-West horizon. The crew of both ships pause to stare at it. Once it disappears over the the horizon, the ships turn North to get back on course. The next morning, the Quicksilver looks bigger again. But it's not turning, just slowing down.

OracleofSilence
2017-07-29, 01:52 AM
The Earlier Conversation

"You know, that's a good question. Not necessarily a comforting one, but worth thinking about."

The Boat Race

[Leopard has no relevant skills]

Gareth3
2017-07-30, 02:02 AM
The Quicksilver's lead shrinks, until it's clearly visible. There's some kind of wooden structure on the deck that wasn't there when it was docked.

snakeobsidian
2017-07-30, 09:53 PM
Falcatta walks over to the Hawk's bow, the closest he could get to see.

"What are they doing now?" He wondered. "One does not stop and have a rest in the middle of the sea, not when chasing a treasure."

He asked his crew for a spyglass, and squinted at the Quicksilver. The sun gave his light to that ship, just as it gave light to his. And he was its champion. So he opened his sight, and summoned that light to his eyes, so he could see what was happening, as if he stood inside the very ship.

Activating Sensory Acuity Prana to sharpen sight, and rolling Perception + Awareness.
[roll0]
Also, claiming an one point stunt.
[roll1]

HalfTangible
2017-07-30, 10:23 PM
Vary frowned as she stared out at the ship coming to a stop.

That was odd. She put a hand over her eyes to shade them from the sun as she looked at the wooden structure. That hadn't been there before. What was it?

Please not a catapult, please not a catapult, please not a catapult...

Awareness (2) + Perception (3)
[roll0]

The Earlier Conversation

"You know, that's a good question. Not necessarily a comforting one, but worth thinking about."

[The Earlier Conversation]

Vary put an arm around his shoulder, patting him like a friend in the locker room. "You take all the time you need to think this through, sugar, we got plenty of that out here." She leaned in close. "Kinda short on places to sleep, though, and the newbie on the crew ain't gonna be treated nice at first. But I got a real comfy cabin~"

Gareth3
2017-07-31, 01:18 AM
The wooden structure on the deck is a ballista - essentially an enormous crossbow. From Vary's perspective it looks like it's aimed directly at her head, but it's not within range. The crew is running back and forth across the deck, obviously preparing for battle. The Quicksilver comes even closer to Vary's ship, maneuvering for the best position to fire.

Naval Combat. Quicksilver Positioning Wits+Sail+Maneuverability [roll0]

Whoever's piloting Vary's ship can make the same roll. The winner gets one point of Momentum for each success they beat the loser by. Falcatta's ship is not part of the combat yet, but can choose to join it by making the same roll.

snakeobsidian
2017-07-31, 07:15 PM
Falcatta ran to the main dock, there was no time to waste.
"It's a ballista!" He warned. "Get to battle positions!"
He started pulling around every solar on his ship.
"Nazir, Daryn, listen. We need to stop them from fighting, until we can get into a distance where we can parlay. It is time to go shining. If anything, that will startle them enough into considering whether or not attacking two demon ships."

Recaiden
2017-07-31, 10:18 PM
Daryn tilts his head curiously. "And you think they'll be more willing to parlay after that?" Maybe out of fear...

Are we allowed to just spend motes without real rolls, or otherwise just up our anima?

Gareth3
2017-08-01, 01:38 AM
As I read it, you have to spend the motes on something. Just pick a charm that won't do any harm and go nuts.

HalfTangible
2017-08-01, 03:48 PM
"They have a ballista ready!" Vary yelled, jumping down to the deck. "ALL HANDS TO BATTLE STATIONS! Ready the catapult! Helm, close with their ship and prepare to board!"

Maneuver: Positioning
Spending 4 personal motes for Sail excellency
Wits (2) + Sail (2) + Excellency (4)
[roll0]

Motes
Pers: 9/13
Peri: 33/33

Gareth3
2017-08-01, 04:23 PM
Vary's ship expertly manuevers away from the Quicksilver. She can see the pilot gesturing angrily at the crew.

Vary's ship has Momentum 2
Quicksilver Positioning Wits+Sail+Manueverability [roll0]
Vary's ship can make another Positioning Manuever.

HalfTangible
2017-08-01, 04:31 PM
Vary shouted orders to her various crewmembers. The plan was to get in front of the Quicksilver if at all possible and force them into a boarding action. Maybe if they captured it they could find out what their captain had learned to send them off in such a hurry...

Maneuver: Positioning
Spending 4 personal motes for Sail excellency (again)
Wits (2) + Sail (2) + Excellency (4)
[roll0]

Motes
Pers: 5/13
Peri: 33/33

Gareth3
2017-08-01, 04:56 PM
The Quicksilver lives up to its name, twisting out of the path of Vary's ship. The ships are briefly close enough for Vary to see the weary expression on the pilot's face. After a short hesitation, he orders the ship to approach again.

Quicksilver Momentum 0 Positioning Wits+Sail+Manueverabilty [roll0]
Vary's ship Momentum 2

HalfTangible
2017-08-01, 05:04 PM
Vary met his wary look with a confident smirk. This guy was good but so was she.

She briefly considered jumping to the enemy ship and carving her way through the crew, but that would probably do more damage to her than it was worth even if she made the jump. They needed to close in first.

Spending 4 motes again, you know the drill
[roll0]

Gareth3
2017-08-01, 06:07 PM
The crew of the Quicksilver laugh and jeer at Vary as their ship swings into the perfect position for a broadside. The pilot shushes them and directs them to the ballista. There's a loud THUNK as the weapon fires.

Quicksilver Momentum 6->1 Broadside Wits+Sail+Manueverability [roll0]
Vary's ship Momentum 2
The Quicksilver needs to get more successes on this roll than Vary's ship gets on the next roll to hit.

HalfTangible
2017-08-01, 06:41 PM
"BRACE!"

I'm recovering motes faster than I'm spending them, so there's no real point in keeping track.
Positioning
[roll0]

Gareth3
2017-08-01, 06:59 PM
The ballista bolt flies over the deck of Vary's ship, close enough that Vary feels the air displaced by it against her face. Alarming as this is, the bolt harmlessly splashes into the sea behind her ship. The Quicksilver has sailed past the right position for a broadside and is struggling to return.

Quicksilver Momentum 1 Positioning Wits+Sail+Manueverability [roll0]
Vary's Ship Momentum 2

snakeobsidian
2017-08-01, 07:03 PM
"Agh, there's just no time for diplomacy anymore!" Falcatta said as Vary's ship got into battle head first. " I'll settle for having a talk face to face! Prepare to board!"

He jumped into the Captain's wheel.

"No matter how hasty those Quicksilver boys are, a Goldfeather Hawk will always go first!"
He studied his mind's charts, picturing the positions of all three ships, and charged at a course that would make him move between both the other pieces. While they had fired at Vary's ship, they would find themselves flanked by his, and realize their tactical error.

As they would watch his mark glow from the ship's command.

It's Wits+Sail+Excellency (Fast Sailing) +Maneuverability roll, with 5 peripheral motes from a Sail Excellency.
That is 13 dice, and also a glowing anima.
[roll0]
Also, an one point stunt, if possible.
[roll1]

Essence 1
Personal 8
Peripheral 42

HalfTangible
2017-08-01, 09:00 PM
"IS THAT IT, BOYS?!" Vary taunted the Quicksilver. "YOU ALMOST HAD ME WORRIED!! DIDN'T EVEN HIT ZEAL!"

Manuvering
[roll0]

Gareth3
2017-08-01, 09:39 PM
The crew of the Quicksilver are annoyed when Falcatta's ship sails between them and Vary's, then frozen in horror when they see Falcatta's glowing anima. The pilot shouts at them to return to work, so loud both Vary and Falcatta can almost hear him. He gestures emphatically towards Vary's ship.

Quicksilver Momentum 1 Positioning against Vary's Ship Wits+Sail+Manueverability-2 for second opponent [roll0]
Falcatta's Ship Momentum 1
Vary's Ship Momentum 4

HalfTangible
2017-08-01, 11:12 PM
Vary scowled at the glowing anima. Great. Now they'd probably try and run.

"Full sail!" She yelled, whirling her head around to her crew. "Get in front of the Quicksilver, cut off their retreat!"

[roll0]

snakeobsidian
2017-08-02, 06:00 AM
"Well, that went better than it could have." Muttered Falcata.
" You two can get ready at any time now!"

His ship went at the side of the Quicksilver opposite to Vary's, so ir would be pressed between both.

Wits+Sail+Excellency roll [roll0]

Volthawk
2017-08-02, 07:37 AM
As Falcatta was getting into position, Nazir was getting ready, putting on his armour and smashfists with inhuman speed. As the captain gets closer to the Quicksilver, Nazir is ready, a titan of orichalcum and jade with only his scarred face visible, letting out a resounding roar. "GET ME CLOSER, I'LL PARLAY WITH MY FISTS!"

Recaiden
2017-08-02, 10:23 AM
"I'm always ready!" Daryn retorts.
He flips up to the front of the ship, perched on the very tip of the figurehead. About to fall into the ocean. About to be first to the fight. There's a mark on his brow, something glinting in the sun. The demon, distant but not unaware.

Graceful Crane Stance to make this easy and Athletics Excellency to show off and get my anima up.
[roll0]

Gareth3
2017-08-02, 04:24 PM
The crew of the Quicksilver point at Daryn balancing on the bow of the boat, and Nazir in his armor. The pilot frowns, and pauses to talk with a man wearing twice as much jewellery as anyone else. They seem to reach a decision and the Quicksilver twists between the two other ships, trying to get in position to attack Vary's ship.

Quicksilver Momentum 4 Positioning against Vary's ship Wits+Sail+Manueverability-2 for two opponents. [roll0]
Falcatta's Ship Momentum 1
Vary's Ship Momentum 4

HalfTangible
2017-08-02, 04:29 PM
"Slow them!"

Vary's ship fired its catapult, but deliberately avoided hitting any of the ships. The rocks flew out into the sea, right in the Quicksilver's path.

Really wishing I'd put more dots in Sail/Wits so that I wouldn't be stuck rolling the same thing for half a session xD
[roll0]

Gareth3
2017-08-02, 04:50 PM
Vary's ship is still just postioning, right?

HalfTangible
2017-08-02, 05:07 PM
Vary's ship is still just postioning, right?

Yeah. I need 8 momentum for a boarding action.

Gareth3
2017-08-02, 05:19 PM
OK, I understand.

snakeobsidian
2017-08-02, 07:54 PM
Falcatta tales a sharp turn on the wheel, ready to ram the Quicksilver, reacting to the catapult shot of Vary's ship. As the rival captain moves to avoid the charge, the feint is revealed, and the Hawk begins to jerk parallel to the Quicksilver.

"Do not fire jet, fellas! I want that ship whole! Tripulation and all!"

Wits+Sail+Excellency+Maneuvering
Sail Excellency for 5 extra dice, from personal pool.

[roll0]

Essence 1
Personal 3
Peripheral 47

Gareth3
2017-08-02, 08:22 PM
The Quicksilver lurches around to avoid the catapult fire and ends up awkwardly positioned between the two ships, exposed to attacks from either. The crew reluctantly look away from the Solars and get back to work. Even the captain starts working on the sails, leaving the pilot at the wheel.

Quicksilver Momentum 4 Positioning Wits+Sail+Manueverability-2 for two opponents [roll0]
Falcatta's Ship Momentum 9 Possible actions: Positioning, Broadside, Ram, Boading Action
Vary's Ship Momentum 8 Possible actions:Positioning, Broadside, Ram, Boading Action.
All actions must beat 5 successes to succeed.
All three ships have rams, so a Ram action doesn't damage them.

HalfTangible
2017-08-02, 08:39 PM
Vary frowned. The Quicksilver was out of position now, but she was quickly maneuvering out of the way. Zeal was a fine ship, but the enemy's captain was matching her well. Without some clever trick, they were too evenly matched to guarantee victory on the open sea. That meant boarding.

She turned and shouted back at her crew. "READY ROPES AND HOOKS! WE BOARD!!" Her crew was confused only for a moment before they sprang into action.

There were multiple ways to board an enemy ship, depending on the size of your force and the enemy's. Vary's personal favorite was the use of planks of wood to create a makeshift bridge onto the enemy's ship (well, for her crew anyway; she preferred to just jump onto the enemy ship and land in the center of their crew as a massive distraction). However, many crews preferred to use ropes and hooks to board the enemy ship by latching on and climbing the rope. Doing so provided a stronger grip and the ability to pull the enemy ship in closer.

It was the latter that Vary hoped to exploit, and her unusual order was how she communicated this to the crew. They retrieved several ropes and hooks, while also getting some of the planks that the captain would normally order.

"Zelos be with us." She whispered before pointing. "THROW AND BOARD!"

At the same moment that the hooks began to fly, her crew brought forward the boarding planks, ready to slam them down and board the enemy vessel.

Boarding Action
2 die stunt
4 motes on a Sail excellency
-8 Momentum
[roll0]

snakeobsidian
2017-08-02, 09:24 PM
"Alright! Let us bid ourselves some welcome." Falcatta said, sailing parallel to the Quicksilver, and approaching, until both ships were close enough to let out sparks. "Secure deck to deck and lay planks!"

He walked to the main deck, as his crew got through the boarding motions, as both ships were glued together, until he reached the point of contact.

"Alright, you ready guy! Make sure they have no more funny ideas with that ballista!" He shouted at the ship's front. He then spoke to Nazir. "You, with me! I'll need someone to soften them if they object to some diplomacy!"

He stood on the plank just as it was being fastened.

"Fighting two ships with one! Bold move! Wasteful, but bold! Now, ya'll might want a melee, but let us clear some misunderstandings here first." He said, as he got closer to the Quicksilver. "Now, if we can all take some time to negotiate..."

Using Eclipse's Diplomatic Immunity anima power just in case.
Using the same motes that I gain on my turn, so there is no point on counting right now.
Same roll as before, with extra 5 dice with Excellency, with a 2 die stunt as extra.
[roll0]

Gareth3
2017-08-03, 01:48 AM
The Quicksilver lurches away from Vary's ship and the hooks clatter uselessly against her hull. This sends the Quicksilver right up against Falcatta's ship, much to the dismay of the crew. Falcatta's crew easily grab the Quicksilver and lash the two ships together. The captain screams at his crew.

"REPEL BOARDERS!"

Join Battle roll for the battle group of the captain and his crew: [roll0]
Vary's ship can board the Quicksilver with a Wits+Sail roll of 1 or more.

Volthawk
2017-08-03, 06:25 AM
Nazir nods, moving just behind Falcatta, letting the Eclipse be seen and heard but still close enough to protect him and get into the fray if necessary. He slides down his helmet's faceplate, leaving no part of his body visible - no need for that distraction. Naturally, he'd rather be rushing out and letting loose on these people, but if Falcatta wants to try this, opening himself up, he'll respect the guy's guts and back him up.

Join Battle: [roll0] 4 sux +3 for Initiative 7

HalfTangible
2017-08-03, 10:09 AM
Vary's eyes narrowed as her fellows got onto the ship from the other side. That would buy them time to board.

Wits (2) + Sail (2) + Sail Excellency (4 motes)
[roll0]

Recaiden
2017-08-03, 10:14 AM
"Hey, here we go!"
Daryn turns and leaps from the prow of their ship towards the Quicksilver. Was that far enough to clear the gap, or just enough to splash down into the ocean? It turns out not to matter; a cloud catches him and bears him up to glide over towards the enemy ship. Clear the ballista, was it? How hard could that be?

Stepping onto my Cirrus Skiff.
Join Battle [roll0] + 3, with 5 dice of Excellency.

Peripheral Motes 28/33 (if I remember correctly that we regain motes at the start of our turns? Away From Book at the moment.)
Anima level 2

snakeobsidian
2017-08-03, 06:35 PM
Falcatta was disappointed when he heard the captain order a repel on his olive branch. But no matter. He only had to talk while slapping some people around.
"That's a good first misunderstanding! I'm glad you brought that up! You see, we're not really boarding! Boarding would be to enter a ship with hostile intentions. But we really do not want to be hostile to each other!"
He said, as he unsheathed his sword. "So this is merely... Standing our ground!"

Wits+Awareness roll
[roll0]

Essence 1
Personal 8
Peripheral 47

Gareth3
2017-08-05, 01:30 AM
The captain is bewildered at Falcatta's diplomancy.

"Here's a negotiating position for you - get the Hell off my ship!"

Behind him, grappling hooks from Vary's ship dig into the side of the Quicksilver. The captain stumbles as the three ships crash together.

OracleofSilence
2017-08-05, 05:01 PM
As the ships collide, Leopard is already springing over the rail, readying himself to draw Silence as he does so. "Oh come on Falcatta, don't get them to surrender too quickly! Where's the fun in that?"

By the OOC thread, 8 success on join battle.

Gareth3
2017-08-06, 04:27 AM
A dozen battle-hardened pirates from the Quicksilver's crew, and the captain himself, brandish their blades, ranging from large knives to small swords.

The Quicksilver Battle Group has Parry 4, Evasion 3, Soak 8, Size 1, Drill Average, and Might 0.

OracleofSilence
2017-08-06, 05:33 AM
Leopard's form seems to waver slightly as he draws his sword and assumes a ready position. As he does so, the air becomes suffused with a faint golden glow before he erupts into a riot of brilliant red-gold essence, lunging towards the pirates and sweeping his blade in a perfect arc through the enemies, ever motion calculated to wound, from the slash itself, to the whip of the blade to wick off any blood, to the equally fast return to ready position, then swiftly and smoothly re sheathing the blade. Despite the inherent finality of that motion, there is now something different about his movements and presence, an apparent potential for fresh violence that was somehow absent before.

Leopard acts first, allowing him to reflexively active Single Point Form. He also activates Liquid Steel Flow for 5m, spending a total of 15m from peripheral. His Anima is now burning.
Spending 3m ersonal to activate an excellency. I assume that counts as a 1 die stunt
JB Roll for sword: [roll0]

Sword acts on initiative 6

Attack Roll
Dex+MA+Accuracy+Excellency: [roll1]

Personal: 10/13
Peripheral: 13/33 (5 Committed)
Willpower: 5/6

Recaiden
2017-08-06, 12:07 PM
The pirate captain makes an eloquent point. But ultimately, it is unconvincing. For one thing, if he can't keep them off it, it's not really his ship anymore, is it?
Daryn untwists the scarf from around his neck; just a scrap of silk, but it should be more than enough to deal with this rabble. As he sweeps down among the Quicksilver's crew, whip lashing against first one then another, the light around his stretches to enfold the whole ship in its pale radiance. One can briefly see around the man an image of a monster that ought only emerge on the blackest nights, its wings stretching from horizon to horizon, its twisting coils crushing the ship - and in the next instant it's gone, you can see that this was never a man; the wretched demon of the night stands among you.

Flurry Ready Weapon / Decisive Attack. Penalty is only 1 to hit and none to defense because of Quickdraw Merit.
Use Elegant Weapon Repertoire on Both. 4 motes of Excellency on the attack.

Attack: [roll0] 9 Pool +1 Specialty + 4 Excellency + 2 presumed Stunt -1 Flurry
Damage: [roll1] + 3 automatic successes for targeting a battle group.

Peripheral: 23/33
Anima is at Bonfire

snakeobsidian
2017-08-06, 02:38 PM
Falcatta stuck his sword in the gap between two wooden planks on deck in front of him, and crossed his arms. This was not a side of defeat, but the statement that whoever tried to get to him, would meet his sword first.

"You know, I have places to go. And I'd like to still be sailing on my ship to get there. But you just wasted a perfectly good shot that could've gone towards the deck of a Realm ship, just as you waste the men you send against us." He exclaimed, as he rested his hands over the pommel of his sword. "So let us now fight over our vessels now, for I am certain that pleases the Dynasts now!"

Full Defense Action, lowering Initiative to 4, and rising defenses by 2.
Also, using any social influence actions in a flurry will give me the penalty of the flurry?

Gareth3
2017-08-06, 07:19 PM
Yes, the social actions get the same penalty as combat actions.

HalfTangible
2017-08-07, 11:19 PM
Vary grinned wickedly, dashing over the boards into the ship and stabbing with her spear.

"Come on, boys! WHO'S READY TO RUMBLE?!"

Initiative 8
13/13 and 33/33
Activate Increased Strength Exercise (3i)
8m Melee Excellency
Melee (3) + Strength (5 [was 4]) + Spear Specialty (2) + Excellency (8)
[roll0]

5/13 and 33/33

Initiative before damage: 5

Volthawk
2017-08-08, 09:08 AM
Nazir chuckles as he watches his allies get stuck in, a quiet sound unheard above the sounds of battle and Falcatta's attempts to talk it out. Despite this, he remains in his position besides Falcatta, still ready to intercept any attackers. Naturally, a great part of him hungered for battle, urged him to wade in there, but really his heart called for true glorious battle against powerful enemies, not this - a tyrant lizard doesn't go out to hunt insects, and the fight was one-sided enough without his assistance.

Defend Other on Falcatta. Any attacker needs to first beat Nazir's PD of 5, then either hit him or carry on attacking Falcatta, at which point they need to beat his DV with the threshold successes from Nazir's Parry .

Gareth3
2017-08-08, 10:20 PM
Leopard's sword and Daryn's whip cut down most of the pirates, and by the time Vary brandishes her spear, all discipline has been lost. Pirates cower behind cover, run below decks, or even jump into the sea. The captain lies bleeding at Falcatta's feet.

"Mercy, mercy, we surrender! Take all the jade, we'll leave you to it!" He appears to think of something else. "Don't touch the Jaguar, though, the Lunars will kill you."

HalfTangible
2017-08-09, 02:55 PM
... They surrendered?

"But.... But I just got here!" Vary pouted. "Come on, no one wants to tangle with me?"

snakeobsidian
2017-08-09, 05:11 PM
Falcatta unstuck his sword from the wood planks, and sheathed his sword back to its place. Then, he raised his hand to Vary.

["Calm now, there is no need to battle anymore. We all need to be reasonable here, don't we?"/COLOR] He slowly said, looking at the captain. [COLOR="#0000CD"]"Now, we can still all come out of this as rich men. Now, you mention the Lunars? You know them do you? Who are them?"

Using a read intentions roll on the captain to find if he has any Intimacies. "Is he an ally of Lunars?", supplementing roll with Motive-Discerning Technique, for double 9s on the roll, for 3m, and using Socialize Excellency for 2 extra dice, for other 2m, for a total of 5m from personal pool.
Perceptions + Socialize roll
[roll0]

Essence 1
Personal 8
Peripheral 47

Gareth3
2017-08-09, 08:07 PM
The captain looks even more frightened as Falcatta interrogates him on the Lunars. He shakes his head.

"I've never met them. There was a man, he said he represented Kumo of the Black Wave Reavers. We would have thrown him out but he was half-shark, teeth and everything. Kumo fathered him on a shark, or Kumo created him by magic, or something. He gave us a map Kumo stole from the Realm, showed where the treasure ship was really going. All he said was we could have everything but the Jaguar, don't touch the Jaguar, even to stop it from sinking."

The captain has an Intimacy of terrified awe towards the Lunars, and an Intimacy of cautious respect towards their half-shark spokesman. He will cooperate with both, but doesn't consider himself an ally of them.

HalfTangible
2017-08-10, 11:26 AM
Falcatta unstuck his sword from the wood planks, and sheathed his sword back to its place. Then, he raised his hand to Vary.

["Calm now, there is no need to battle anymore. We all need to be reasonable here, don't we?"/COLOR] He slowly said, looking at the captain. [COLOR="#0000CD"]"Now, we can still all come out of this as rich men. Now, you mention the Lunars? You know them do you? Who are them?"

Vary pouted. "But I like battle..."

The captain looks even more frightened as Falcatta interrogates him on the Lunars. He shakes his head.

"I've never met them. There was a man, he said he represented Kumo of the Black Wave Reavers. We would have thrown him out but he was half-shark, teeth and everything. Kumo fathered him on a shark, or Kumo created him by magic, or something. He gave us a map Kumo stole from the Realm, showed where the treasure ship was really going. All he said was we could have everything but the Jaguar, don't touch the Jaguar, even to stop it from sinking."

The captain has an Intimacy of terrified awe towards the Lunars, and an Intimacy of cautious respect towards their half-shark spokesman. He will cooperate with both, but doesn't consider himself an ally of them.

"Kumo? Where have I heard that name before..."

Vary shook herself. "Eh, I'll think of it later." She then knelt in front of the captain, glaring into his eyes. "If they told you not to touch the Jaguar, then there was at least some chance of success. Your crew wasn't that impressive (no offense) so that implies you had previous knowledge of the ship's structure and a plan for taking it. Tell us everything you know about the Hearthfire." As she spoke that last sentence, the caste mark on her head blazed into life.

Vary tries to recall anything she'd know about Kumo or the Black Wave Reavers.

This isn't likely to work.

Intelligence 2 + Lore 0
[roll0]

She also presses the captain for any information he can give on the Hearthfire's size and shape, using 4 motes from peripheral essence this time. This has a better chance, and Vary is attempting to intimidate him with the reminder that there's a large group of solars around him.

Presence (4) + Intelligence (2) + Excellency (4) + Stunt (1)
[roll1]

Motes:
13/13
29/33

Recaiden
2017-08-10, 11:44 AM
"They wouldn't give you much of a battle." Daryn chides.
He returns his whip-scarf to its proper place and looks around the ship. Falcatta and Vary seem to have the interrogation, such as it was, well in hand.

Gareth3
2017-08-10, 04:34 PM
The captain is confused at Vary's question.

"The shark man just said it was a Blue-Water Merchant ship, like hundreds of others in the Realm fleet. We've raided plenty of them before, we didn't have to change our tactics. He said if we boarded the ship and grabbed the jade, that would give the Lunars the chance to grab the Jaguar."

One of the other crew members glares at the captain, and he glares back.

"Some of us kept asking why the Lunars would need us, if it's an ordinary ship. They thought it was actually a much harder target, and we were being tricked into a suicide mission. But what some of us need to remember is the Lunars use mortals as allies all the time, they're not all-powerful."

The Black Wave Reavers are a small pirate fleet commanded by three Lunars, who focus on Realm treasure ships and slavers. There are rumours that one of the Lunars can turn into a shark, but Kumo is not usually the subject of that rumor. Rumors about him focus on imitating other people.

snakeobsidian
2017-08-10, 06:47 PM
Falcatta paces around the deck, thinking.

"So, the Lunars find the ship, and mark the map. They want the Jaguar, but they can't take it on their own,
so they mark the position, and give it to you. Well, you see, we kinda have the same objective as them here..." He said, pointing at his mark."I'm sure you do too, preying on Realm ships. Soo... If you were to help us corner the Hearthfire, and board it, I'm sure the Dynasts would be too busy fighting us to notice you raiding their jade. We'll even let you choose where to hide it, and you'll have enough for you and your fleet to call your own. Also, we do not have any interest on the Jaguar, whatever it is, so we can intercede with the Lunars for you. As long as you let us keep the Hearthfire, if it remains salvageable after the raid, and let us keep a certain white Jade box they carry, and whatever artifacts and armor those Dynasts carry, and you can't use anyways... We can let you be part of our fleet! I guarantee none of you shall be backstabbed, nor used ever as sacrifices. Do we have a deal here?

Using Persuade to use the intimacy of terrified awe from Lunars, to convince the captain of some familiarity with them,
and present us as a more sensible option, to make them our allies.
Manipulation + Presence roll + Presence Excellency for extra 3 dice for 3 Peripheral motes, for a total of 10 dice.
[roll0]
Personal 8
Peripheral 47

Gareth3
2017-08-11, 02:18 AM
The captain stands up. He looks more or less like the other pirates - the same ragged clothes and unkempt beard. The only difference is he's about ten years older, and is wearing a gem-studded ring on each finger. He makes a dismissive gesture.

"Sorry, we're in no condition- wait a minute."

He fixes Falcatta with a piercing look. "Did you just say we could take all the raw jade? You only want the finished artifacts, and the box? In that case, we're in."

He glances uncertainly at the other Solars, then turns back to Falcatta, looking at his... forehead? The captain places his hand over his heart.

"I swear that I will take all reasonable efforts to allow you to escape unharmed with the white jade box and all the finished artifacts on the Hearthfire."

He gestures at the others.

"Now, all you Solars swear you will take all reasonable efforts to allow us to escaped unharmed with all the raw jade dust and jade ingots on the Hearthfire. Also swear that if you see a life-size silver statue of a jaguar, you won't touch it or move it."

Back to Falcatta again.

"Then, you sanctify all the oaths."

The captain doesn't know any of your Intimacies, so this isn't a Social Influence roll. You can accept or reject the offer as you wish.

Volthawk
2017-08-11, 06:15 AM
Nazir laughs at the captain's concerns. "Don't worry. I swear. If you fight with us, against those odds, I'll have your backs. Just leave Cathak Ego to me." With that last statement, his gaze shifts over to Vary as well as the crew. After all, she still didn't know what was at play there, so she needed to get the message too.

Recaiden
2017-08-11, 11:27 AM
Until Daryn hears that, and has to turn back around.
"Eh, uh, you can't be serious."

He stares at Falcatta, simply stares.

"These guys attacked us and are demonstrably useless in a fight. Letting them attack the Hearthfire would be a liability, not to mention giving them half the treasure."

HalfTangible
2017-08-11, 01:36 PM

"These guys attacked us and are demonstrably useless in a fight. Letting them attack the Hearthfire would be a liability, not to mention giving them half the treasure."

"They attacked us because we were following them." Vary pointed out. "And frankly, one ship of mortals against two ships, both of which are crewed by Solars? It's a testament to their resilience that they can still fight. More to the point, they'd be very useful on the sea. Whoever was sailing this thing gave me a run for my money; gimme a week or so and I'll make the entire crew worthy of anything they come across."

"Besides, if they're that useless, they'll die and we won't have to split the treasure with them anyway, right?"

snakeobsidian
2017-08-11, 08:15 PM

Falcatta, listening to the captain begin to open for a truce, smiled. But, hearing Daryn object, he backtracked to him so fast, it seemed a freak hurricane had just taken him for a spin.

"Ah, ta, ta, ta, ta tah. Completely understand your case here, buddy." He whispered. "In a completely normal situation, it would be crazy to let them leave with a piece of the pie just like that. But, as you just heard our red friend, we'll train them. They will hold their own against anything but Dragonblooded. Let me give them an eventful adventure trip to the prize, and I'll bring them fully into the fold too. If you are still unconvinced, you can monitor their ship. Make sure they are up to snuff when they enter the fray, and be on the lookout for any Lunar we can parlay with. Look, if we were to just let them go now, we would end up with only three ships, too much treasure to use, and someone left to tattle on us. Instead, let them hide the Jade for us, let them own it, and we shall have four ships, a contact on the Reavers, and someone to lend us all the resources we need. That is one ship for you, here."

OracleofSilence
2017-08-11, 08:38 PM
"Sounds pointless. The effort would be better spent on our own crews." Leopard shrugs, deeply disappointed that the fight had been as underwhelming as it was. "Besides, whats the point? We already know they're going to disappoint. Any one of Nazir, Daryn or myself could have taken them alone. Easily. And I guarantee any Dynast worth being on the ship could do the same. Is an extre few seconds worth the time to train them?"

Recaiden
2017-08-11, 08:53 PM
"He's real insistent on this Jaguar thing, and I doubt it's out of his concern for our health. I'm not promising anything about it until we know more. The Lunars must've really got to him."

Daryn shakes his head.

"I admit, you can probably make something out of them before we get there. But don't you think that's worth, on top of getting out of here alive, about what we're paying our own crew? Besides. That oath doesn't even prevent them selling us out to the Reavers the second it's all over."

He's not entirely unconvinced, but despite Falcatta's hurricane of reassurance, he's still skeptical.

snakeobsidian
2017-08-11, 10:27 PM
"Well, an oath would fix that real fast..." Falcatta said. "Also, we are getting paid, after we fence some of the artifacts, remember?"

Gareth3
2017-08-12, 03:12 AM
The captain looks from Solar to Solar, trying to keep up with the conversation. At the mention of the Jaguar, one of his crew turns towards them and adopts a lecturing tone.

"Moonlight Jaguar, forged in the heart of Pure Chaos by Lunar herself, Stone Claw wore it to swim through the acrid seas of-"

The captain cuts him off impatiently. "Moonsilver scout warstrider, immune to environmental damage and terrain effects. Very difficult to use unless you can actually, y'know, turn into a jaguar. It's useful but not overwhelming in combat. Religious value is enormous to the Lunars, though. Just imagine that the actual Moon Goddess is sitting on that ship, you'll get some idea of how the Lunars want it treated."

Something seems to occur to him.

"Since I've told you that, what's in the box that you want so much? I asked the shark man, he just laughed and said I wouldn't believe him if he told me."

Volthawk
2017-08-12, 07:12 AM
Nazir turns to the others as they discuss. "More manpower, another ship is useful. Dynasts and us will be focusing on each other. Leaves everything else to deal with each other as we fight. Their men are an army. Ours are not. More men and weapons will help." When the captain mentions the box, Nazir chuckles but doesn't give an answer.

HalfTangible
2017-08-13, 03:03 PM
The captain looks from Solar to Solar, trying to keep up with the conversation. At the mention of the Jaguar, one of his crew turns towards them and adopts a lecturing tone.

"Moonlight Jaguar, forged in the heart of Pure Chaos by Lunar herself, Stone Claw wore it to swim through the acrid seas of-"

The captain cuts him off impatiently. "Moonsilver scout warstrider, immune to environmental damage and terrain effects. Very difficult to use unless you can actually, y'know, turn into a jaguar. It's useful but not overwhelming in combat. Religious value is enormous to the Lunars, though. Just imagine that the actual Moon Goddess is sitting on that ship, you'll get some idea of how the Lunars want it treated."

Something seems to occur to him.

"Since I've told you that, what's in the box that you want so much? I asked the shark man, he just laughed and said I wouldn't believe him if he told me."

Vary placed her hands behind her head and shrugged. "We don't know, but it's gotta be valuable. The box itself is useful for hiding powerful magical artifacts, so it'll fetch a pretty penny to some high-paying clients somewhere. I'm just going for a good brawl. 'parnetly there's also some stuff for manses and artifacts."

"But if the Reavers said something like that, they probably know what's in it."

Gareth3
2017-08-13, 03:55 PM
The captain is disappointed they don't know more. He looks around at the Solars, then walks over to the ballista in the middle of the deck. He returns with an armful of brown, rubbery-looking rope and presents it to Falcatta.

"Here's the torsion springs from the ballista. We're defenseless without them. You can take them now, and we'll sail South to An-Teng, out of your way. Or, if you can get everyone to agree, I'll put them back on the ballista and we'll attack the Hearthfire together. You can have the box, we'll take one-third of everything else. You don't need to sanctify anything."

He turns to the other Solars.

"So which is it? Do you want us to leave, or fight with you?"

snakeobsidian
2017-08-13, 07:48 PM
Falcatta looks at the rope, and turns to his allies.

"Alright, we need to vote on this right now. I know we have disagreements, but we need to be together on this" He said. "I say we take them with us, and let them have a third. We take the box, and you can have the profits from it, to recuperate any loss on this. And if any foul play happens, then we will just have more loot for us. So unless anyone wants to change positions now, We're making this deal."

Recaiden
2017-08-14, 09:12 AM
"Alright. With that, I'm convinced."
Daryn steps up to Falcatta and the pirate captain and puts out his hand; all together, there's his vote.

HalfTangible
2017-08-14, 05:41 PM
"Ha!" Vary grinned wickedly and placed her own hand on top of Daryn's. "Sounds simple. Let's set sail, sink some ships, and shred some scales. Swiftly!"

"You've been waiting to use that, haven't you?"

"Sorry, sod."

"... So that's a no?"

"Surely.

Volthawk
2017-08-15, 09:56 AM
Nazir grins and puts his hand in, perhaps a little too forcefully considering he's still wearing armour and smashfists.

OracleofSilence
2017-08-15, 09:39 PM
"Well, since we seem set on this foolishness, I suppose I should set myself for disappointment along with you." Leopard sheaths his sword, relaxing out of his form as he does so, and placing his hand in a's well. "So the. Falcatta, I think this is your moment."

Gareth3
2017-08-16, 04:48 AM
The captain supresses an expression of childish glee, and nods respectfully to the Solars.

"Thank you. Any of you are welcome to travel on my ship, if you wish." He returns the torsion springs to the ballista, and starts moving the more badly injured sailors below decks. Less than an hour later, the three ships sail off towards the Hearthfire

Anyone can change ships if they want to, now. All PCs get 5 experience points. All PCs, say which ship they're on for the rest of the voyage, and roll Wits+Awareness.

Volthawk
2017-08-16, 07:27 AM
When the captain gives his offer, Nazir nods. "I'll stay. It's like I said. You fight with us, I have your backs." He get aboard properly, takes off his helmet and surveys the ship, a grin forming."First things first. You got an alcohol supply here?"

Yeah, Nazir's staying on the Quicksilver.
Spending 8xp to learn Thundercllap Rush Attack, seems worth it to get something that's useful for regular fisticuffs rather than just grapples and throws.
Wits+Awareness: [roll0] - 5 successes

snakeobsidian
2017-08-16, 07:33 PM
"Well, we'll count on you, then." Falcatta said, shaking the Captain's hand. "We shall fight against the Hearthfire together. You will get a third of the ship's treasure, consisting of that Jade from the Hearthfire that you and your crew can take. In exchange, we shall take the White Jade box, whatever artifacts the Dragonblooded hold, and the Hearthfire, should it remains afloat and salvageable. But, we request that you do not ever reveal our supernatural identity as Solars to anyone, and you take care to wisely spend the Hearthfire's Jade, so none of our ships get targeted by other pirates, or by agents of the Realm, for the ship's sacking."

"By the way, I never did get your name."

10 xp currently.
Going back to my own ship.
Making deals gets no extra xp?
If the deal is accepted, will use anima effect.

Gareth3
2017-08-16, 09:07 PM
The captain hesitates as Falcatta describes the deal, then shrugs and shakes his hand.

"The name's Ren, and you have a deal."

He looks back at the Solars, some of them returning to their own ships.

"We'll keep your secret, but you might want to cut back on the glowy forehead stuff. Makes it pretty obvious."

Ren offers Nazir a clear spirit he calls "baiju". It's so strong Nazir can't tell what it was made out of, but it's pleasant enough if sipped slowly.

Fair enough, 2 Solar Experience points to Falcatta.

HalfTangible
2017-08-17, 09:09 AM
Vary returned to her own ship, clapping her hands once. "Okay people, back to work. We got some more friends now."

Thought about staying and helping with Iron League Preparation, but I'd rather be on my own ship when the fighting starts.

Wits 2 + Awareness 2
[roll0]

snakeobsidian
2017-08-18, 10:02 PM
Falcatta's caste mark flashes vividly for a moment, as the oath is established and goes to Heaven.
He returns to his ship, prepared now with a fleet to face the danger.

Going back to my own Goldfeather Hawk.
Got 12 xp now then.

Gareth3
2017-08-19, 02:38 AM
The captain frowns as Falcatta's caste mark flashes, perhaps regretting the deal. He returns below deck and the little fleet sets off for the Hearthfire. The weather grows more pleasant as they travel North, with only a few pure-white ragged clouds in the sky. The wind slackens, and the ships are almost becalmed. A few adjustments to the sails keep them moving slowly North.

Nazir notices nothing unusual about the Quicksilver. Everything on the ship is consistent with what the captain said about their mission.

There's a stowaway on board the Zeal. He's very difficult to detect. When all the crew is assembled, the correct number of people are present. The supplies aren't being consumed any faster, even the fresh water. None of the crew report seeing anyone new. But over the past few days, Vary has seen a man working on the ship, when all of the crew should be somewhere else. He's about the same build as the others, and wears the same clothes, but she's never seen his face. After another day, Daryn notices it too. They see him right now, sewing sails below decks, sitting with his back to them as they stand there.

snakeobsidian
2017-08-19, 11:31 AM
Oops, forgot about the roll.
[roll0]

HalfTangible
2017-08-19, 12:40 PM
"Howdy." Vary said dryly to the stowaway. "I don't like people I don't recognize messing with my sails. Which is why I make sure to know the names and faces of every person on my crew."

Her eyes narrowed. "So. You gonna turn around and gimme a name, stranger?"

Charisma (4) + Presence (5)
[roll0]

Recaiden
2017-08-19, 10:40 PM
Daryn walks up to put a hand on the nondescript crewman's shoulder.
"Hey there friend."

Gareth3
2017-08-20, 04:11 AM
Falcatta notices that one of his mortal crewmen is disturbed by something, more than is normal for sailing into battle. He's losing weight and lacks concentration when working.

The stowaway turns to face them, bowing respectfully.
"Honorable Captain, I am Trang. You hired me in Heaven's Gate."
Vary has no memory of hiring him, or arranging to hire anyone in Heaven's Gate. But he's not a perfect stranger - his face looks vaguely familiar. He's from the Southwestern ethnic group that many of the crew are from, but beyond that she's drawing a blank. Trang is disappointed not to be recognised.
"You remember me." His voice resonants oddly in the cramped space between cabins.
OOC:
Social Influence to Instill an Intimacy towards Trang of "entirely legitimate member of my crew", 9 dice. [roll0] targeting Resolve 4.
Social Influence fails - Vary realises this is obviously not a member of her crew. You can roll Intelligence+Socialise or Intelligence+Investigate to figure out why his face is familiar.

HalfTangible
2017-08-20, 10:19 AM
Falcatta notices that one of his mortal crewmen is disturbed by something, more than is normal for sailing into battle. He's losing weight and lacks concentration when working.

The stowaway turns to face them, bowing respectfully.
"Honorable Captain, I am Trang. You hired me in Heaven's Gate."
Vary has no memory of hiring him, or arranging to hire anyone in Heaven's Gate. But he's not a perfect stranger - his face looks vaguely familiar. He's from the Southwestern ethnic group that many of the crew are from, but beyond that she's drawing a blank. Trang is disappointed not to be recognised.
"You remember me." His voice resonants oddly in the cramped space between cabins.
OOC:
Social Influence to Instill an Intimacy towards Trang of "entirely legitimate member of my crew", 9 dice. [roll0] targeting Resolve 4.
Social Influence fails - Vary realises this is obviously not a member of her crew. You can roll Intelligence+Socialise or Intelligence+Investigate to figure out why his face is familiar.

"No. No I do not." Vary growled, eyes narrowing. "I didn't hire anyone new for my crew at Heaven's Gate, no one on my crew is named Trang, and if they were they'd know better than to address me as 'Honorable Captain'."

"You will tell me the truth of the matter."

Socialize and Investigate are both 0, so...
Intelligence
[roll0]

Gareth3
2017-08-20, 04:05 PM
Trang is dismayed at Vary's reaction.
"Crap. It's too soon..."
He disappears, and a streak of pale brown fur darts through the ship towards the deck. Vary, Daryn, and Leopard are all in its path.
OOC: Vary realises that she has never seen Trang's face before. His face is a composite of Po and Nga, two unrelated male crew members. Every facial feature is halfway between whatever Po has and whatever Nga has. She wastes a few seconds thinking up family trees where two unrelated men could have a half-brother in common, but quickly realises that Trang is changing his appearance with magic.
You can catch whatever Trang has turned into with a Dexterity+Athletics roll of 3 or more.

HalfTangible
2017-08-20, 04:48 PM
It took only the briefest moment for Vary to realize what had just happened: whoever she'd been talking to had just turned into something small to try and run from her.

Wait, why didn't he just do that before? He must've needed something from the crew...

No time to consider it further, she had to move. Zelos had enhanced Vary's size and strength, but to get that she had to best him in combat. She had done so not through strength, but through strategy and - more importantly at the moment - reflexes.

At first her left hand grasped only on air (since she hadn't even really thought about where she was putting it), but her right moved with lightning-fast precision.

Dexterity (4) + Athletics (5) + 1 die stunt (mebbe?)
[roll0] + [roll1]

It still feels weird that a 1 die stunt grants 2 dice.

snakeobsidian
2017-08-20, 05:18 PM

Fearing any sort of sickness about to fall upon his crew, Falcatta "happens" upon the afflicted sailor, during an improvised inspection.

"My dear friend." He said to the sailor. "You look particularly under the weather. Is something troubling you?"

Recaiden
2017-08-20, 06:10 PM
"Hey, where're you going!?"
Daryn is after the creature right away. Realizing it's going to get past him, he jumps to intercept it at the stairway up to the deck.

[roll0] with 4 dice of excellency.

Gareth3
2017-08-21, 02:51 AM
The sailor forces a smile.
"I'm fine, I'm not sick. I'm just not sleeping, too worried about the battle."
He seems to regret having spoken.
"No, sorry, I'm not scared of the battle itself. I've seen you fight, they can't win. I should have ignored my father's stories."

Vary catches the creature easily, then Daryn and Leopard help restrain it. It's a small cat, pale brown in colour and wearing a collar of braided silver wire. It yowls and hisses and struggles to escape as the others hold it, but curiously doesn't bite or scratch anyone. After a moment it stops struggling, and speaks with a distorted but understandable human voice.
Stop, I surrender! Put me down! I am Kumo, of the Black Wave Reavers. I'm in command-
The cat stops talking and stares at Vary's hand for a moment, then continues.
That is, I organised this expedition, I'd welcome your assistance.

Volthawk
2017-08-21, 05:11 AM
Since so far, Nazir's watch for anything of interest hasn't turned up anything of worry, Nazir was back to enjoying the baiju. As on Falcatta's ship, he sat right at the prow, legs over the edge and a drink in hand as he rests a little, although he still keeps an eye out in the direction they're going.

snakeobsidian
2017-08-22, 06:43 PM
The sailor forces a smile.
"I'm fine, I'm not sick. I'm just not sleeping, too worried about the battle."
He seems to regret having spoken.
"No, sorry, I'm not scared of the battle itself. I've seen you fight, they can't win. I should have ignored my father's stories."

"Stories?" Falcatta asked. "Did he tell you something about these seas?"

Gareth3
2017-08-23, 02:01 AM
The clouds have cleared now, and the Quicksilver is moving with a gentle Southerly breeze, almost impossible to feel on the ship itself. Calm ripples play across the surface of the ocean, all the way out to the North horizon. Which, just at the limit of vision, has two red dots, dead ahead.

"Nha thinks Dragonblooded explode when they die!" This is not Nha, who Falcatta was talking to, but Vang, the self-appointed ship's jester. He's taken advantage of Nha's hesitation to insert himself into the conversation.

Nha cringes. "Shut up, Vang. I don't believe that. Even my father didn't. He just..." Nha is silent for a moment, considering how to put it. "He was working the docks in Arjuf, right? Blessed Isle. There was a tax ship meant to come in with a really old Air Aspect on it, and a ton of jade. There were rumours that pirates would hit it on the way there. We never heard of the pirates again, they just disappeared. Some sailors said there was a huge storm, somewhere along the tax ship's course. It was my father's job to unload the tax ship, and they didn't lose anything. But there wasn't any trace of the old guy, not even a body. The captain wouldn't say anything."

Vang is skeptical. "Pfft, that proves nothing. He just died in the storm and they dumped him overboard."

"Maybe not, but my father went on to crew raiders taking on the best of the Realm. But he'd never attack a ship if he knew it had an old Dragonblooded on it. Not just centuries, old, you know, but actually showing age. I always thought it was nonsense myself. But... so many people thought this was a trap, and that Cathak guy is old... What do you know about him?"

Volthawk
2017-08-23, 06:11 AM
Nazir squints at the dots, his caste mark appearing as he channels some Essence to help him make out anything of the dots. As he does so, he shouts out to the captain. "Ren! Something up ahead, two red things! Dead ahead!"

Wits+Awareness+5m Excellency: [roll0] - 7 successes

HalfTangible
2017-08-23, 09:53 AM
Vary catches the creature easily, then Daryn and Leopard help restrain it. It's a small cat, pale brown in colour and wearing a collar of braided silver wire. It yowls and hisses and struggles to escape as the others hold it, but curiously doesn't bite or scratch anyone. After a moment it stops struggling, and speaks with a distorted but understandable human voice.
Stop, I surrender! Put me down! I am Kumo, of the Black Wave Reavers. I'm in command-
The cat stops talking and stares at Vary's hand for a moment, then continues.
That is, I organised this expedition, I'd welcome your assistance.

"I'd almost believe that if you'd led with it." Vary growled, tightening her grip on the cat. "Instead you decided to sneak onto my ship and pretend to be my comrade."

Recaiden
2017-08-23, 09:59 AM
"Well, captain? What'd'ya do with unlovable lying stowaways around here?" Daryn inspects the collar, wondering if it has an owner's stamped tag on it, or something identifying.

OracleofSilence
2017-08-23, 03:57 PM
Leopard approaches the restrained shapeshifter, examining it closely as he does so. "Neat trick, I'll give you that." He shifts his attention to Vary and Daryn. "Well, if he's being truthful, we might want to have a chat with the captain, if you want to call him that of the Quicksilver as well. I'm curious if he knew about this little bastard."

Gareth3
2017-08-24, 04:16 AM
Ren squints at the horizon and frowns.
"Can't see anything. How much did you drink?"
As he concentrates, Nazir resolves the dots into two red rectangles with black writing on them, one smaller than the other. He recognises them as the sails of Realm Navy ships, but can't tell anything more about the type of ship, or make out the writing.

Gareth3
2017-08-24, 04:46 AM
The collar is plain silver, a handful of wires braided over each other with no marks or tags. When Daryn looks closer, something is strange about the reflections from the metal. The light between the cabins is natural and steady, coming from the hatch to the deck and the bright sky. But the reflections of the light in the silver are flickering, like flames.
Cats have very limited facial expressions, but Kumo does his best at an annoyed frown.
You won't let me go to change back, so how can I prove what I'm saying? Wait a minute, let me try something...
He coughs, and his head subtly distorts in shape.
"If it looks like a trap, it's not a very good trap." His voice has changed from a distorted yowling to the exact accent of the shark-man Daryn saw on the Quicksilver. The words are exactly the same too.
Anyone can roll Intelligence+Craft to learn the significance of the reflections in the silver.

Volthawk
2017-08-24, 04:48 AM
After a few more seconds of looking, Nazir walks back from the prow, laughing as he grabs his armour, hefting up the heavy sack as if it was nothing. "Not the drink. I just have better eyes than you. Two Realm ships, one big, one small."

snakeobsidian
2017-08-24, 04:39 PM
"Nha thinks Dragonblooded explode when they die!" This is not Nha, who Falcatta was talking to, but Vang, the self-appointed ship's jester. He's taken advantage of Nha's hesitation to insert himself into the conversation.

Nha cringes. "Shut up, Vang. I don't believe that. Even my father didn't. He just..." Nha is silent for a moment, considering how to put it. "He was working the docks in Arjuf, right? Blessed Isle. There was a tax ship meant to come in with a really old Air Aspect on it, and a ton of jade. There were rumours that pirates would hit it on the way there. We never heard of the pirates again, they just disappeared. Some sailors said there was a huge storm, somewhere along the tax ship's course. It was my father's job to unload the tax ship, and they didn't lose anything. But there wasn't any trace of the old guy, not even a body. The captain wouldn't say anything."

Vang is skeptical. "Pfft, that proves nothing. He just died in the storm and they dumped him overboard."

"Maybe not, but my father went on to crew raiders taking on the best of the Realm. But he'd never attack a ship if he knew it had an old Dragonblooded on it. Not just centuries, old, you know, but actually showing age. I always thought it was nonsense myself. But... so many people thought this was a trap, and that Cathak guy is old... What do you know about him?"

"Well, if it is a trap, chances are it is a trap for Lunars." Falcatta said. "They will not be expecting us, and that will be their folly. So do not worry. I'm sure the captain of The Zeal will be glad to take any Dynasts like that before they manage to do such trouble."

HalfTangible
2017-08-24, 06:02 PM
"Well, captain? What'd'ya do with unlovable lying stowaways around here?" Daryn inspects the collar, wondering if it has an owner's stamped tag on it, or something identifying.

The collar is plain silver, a handful of wires braided over each other with no marks or tags. When Daryn looks closer, something is strange about the reflections from the metal. The light between the cabins is natural and steady, coming from the hatch to the deck and the bright sky. But the reflections of the light in the silver are flickering, like flames.
Cats have very limited facial expressions, but Kumo does his best at an annoyed frown.
You won't let me go to change back, so how can I prove what I'm saying? Wait a minute, let me try something...
He coughs, and his head subtly distorts in shape.
"If it looks like a trap, it's not a very good trap." His voice has changed from a distorted yowling to the exact accent of the shark-man Daryn saw on the Quicksilver. The words are exactly the same too.
Anyone can roll Intelligence+Craft to learn the significance of the reflections in the silver.

"If I was feeling particularly nasty we'd throw 'em overboard with a cut stomach and let the sharks do their thing," Vary growled, "But this guy's a pirate who can shapeshift. If he's not ready for sharks he's not doing it right."

"Now. What are you doing on my ship?"

Gareth3
2017-08-25, 04:40 AM
Ren is alarmed, then stares at the horizon in frustration. "Two ships, that's bad. Get the pilot, show him which direction they're in."

Nha seems a little calmer. "I suppose that makes sense. Thank you." Vang is about to make a quip, but thinks better of it after seeing his captain's face. They both return to work.

Daryn can't remember anything metal with reflections like this.
Zumo coughs again, and his head returns to normal, for a cat. What I'm doing on your ship is investigating the people who stole my map, and easily defeated my servants. Makes sense, right? You'll noticed I haven't harmed anyone, or even taken any food.

Volthawk
2017-08-25, 05:01 PM
Nazir nods, running over to the pilot and clasping a giant hand on their shoulder and indicating the direction of the ships with the other. "Hey. Two Realm ships up ahead, that way. Get ready."

HalfTangible
2017-08-28, 12:49 AM
Ren is alarmed, then stares at the horizon in frustration. "Two ships, that's bad. Get the pilot, show him which direction they're in."

Nha seems a little calmer. "I suppose that makes sense. Thank you." Vang is about to make a quip, but thinks better of it after seeing his captain's face. They both return to work.

Daryn can't remember anything metal with reflections like this.
Zumo coughs again, and his head returns to normal, for a cat. What I'm doing on your ship is investigating the people who stole my map, and easily defeated my servants. Makes sense, right? You'll noticed I haven't harmed anyone, or even taken any food.

"Your servants?" Vary growled. "The Quicksilver's captain didn't seem to think of it that way."

"If you're actually a pirate you know full damn well that being a stowaway is enough to consider you hostile." Vary's voice was low and venomous. "But fine, you're not here to harm us." She didn't loosen her grip at all.

Gareth3
2017-08-28, 03:34 AM
The pilot is as skeptical as the captain was, but he turns the ship in the direction he points. He yells at the sailors to signal the other ships, and they run coloured flags up the mast.

Kumo hesitates for a moment, then turns back to Vary, with the cat equivalent of a friendly smile.
We seem to have got off on the wrong foot. I know you can handle the Realm ships, but I can help you. If you let me go, I'll fly over them and spy for you. Deal?
Social Influence to Persuade Vary to let him go, in return for him spying for her, 16 dice to beat Resolve of 4: [roll0]

All Ships
The Quicksilver is signalling TWO ENEMY SHIPS NORTHWARDS

HalfTangible
2017-08-28, 01:32 PM
Kumo hesitates for a moment, then turns back to Vary, with the cat equivalent of a friendly smile.
We seem to have got off on the wrong foot. I know you can handle the Realm ships, but I can help you. If you let me go, I'll fly over them and spy for you. Deal?
Social Influence to Persuade Vary to let him go, in return for him spying for her, 16 dice to beat Resolve of 4: [roll0]

All Ships
The Quicksilver is signalling TWO ENEMY SHIPS NORTHWARDS

Vary raised an eyebrow. On the one hand, she did like to have useful men under her command, and a shapeshifter spy could certainly be useful. On the other hand, he hadn't managed to hide from them for long, and he'd already shown he wasn't trustworthy. Kumo could easily have gathered enough information about Zeal and her crew to sink them. The more she thought, the less this sounded like a good idea. Maybe she should just break his-

"CAPTAIN! QUICKSILVER'S SIGNALLING CONTACTS!!"

Vary looked up towards the deck, then back down to the cat. "Letting you go feels like a mistake."

She waited a moment more before letting him go with a sigh. "Prove me wrong, please. Up to the deck, people, we've got pay to earn!"

Gareth3
2017-08-28, 03:14 PM
As soon as Vary lets go, the cat races up to the deck. It transforms into a seagull and flies away, heading North.

Volthawk
2017-08-28, 03:57 PM
Seeing the pilot spot the threat and the alarm raised, Nazir laughs again, giving the pilot a powerful slap on the back before running back to the prow, Essence flowing as he rapidly pulls on his armour. Within half a minute he was fully armoured, standing at the front of the ship, a gauntleted fist pointing in the direction of the Realm ships. "GET US CLOSER! BATTLE HAS COME!"

Using Whirlwind Armour-Donning Prana.

OracleofSilence
2017-08-28, 10:28 PM
Leopard grins at the shapeshifter's flight, nudging Vary slightly as he leaves. "Bet you the first round of drinks he doesn't keep his word. Assuming we make it back of course." Not that it mattered of course. His master had been a little vague on how the underworld worked. Odds were if things went sour, there would be no need to keep up his end of the bargain. "You want in Daryn?"

Gareth3
2017-08-29, 03:59 AM
All Ships:

As the fleet heads North, the red sails of the two Realm ships become clearly visible to everyone. Both are marked with a black symbol that even the illiterate can recognise - the personal seal of the Scarlet Empress herself. Several dark specks hover over the ships. It's clear they are birds, but it's very unusual for seabirds to fly this far from land at this time of year.

Intelligence+Sail could give more details on the ships.

HalfTangible
2017-08-29, 03:55 PM
"No bet, Leopard."

Vary rubbed her chin, looking the boats over. What are you doing...

Int 3 + Sail 3 + Sail Excellency 3
[roll0]
Motes:
10/13
33/33

Recaiden
2017-08-29, 04:09 PM
Leopard grins at the shapeshifter's flight, nudging Vary slightly as he leaves. "Bet you the first round of drinks he doesn't keep his word. Assuming we make it back of course." Not that it mattered of course. His master had been a little vague on how the underworld worked. Odds were if things went sour, there would be no need to keep up his end of the bargain. "You want in Daryn?"

"You've already got the winning bet there. He should have turned himself into an eel." Eels are known for their treachery, very common fact, I assure you.

"Besides, when we get back, paying for drinks will be the least of our concerns."

Volthawk
2017-08-29, 04:59 PM
As the ships draw closer and Nazir sees the Empress' symbol, his grin widened beneath his helmet. Even if it isn't the Hearthfire, they're important, and this should be a good battle. It's been a while since he's had a worthy battle, and his heart and soul cried out for the moment when he was in their midst.

Inteliigence+Sail: [roll0]

snakeobsidian
2017-08-29, 06:49 PM
Already on deck, Falcatta notices the new ships appear, a sign that danger had come.

"Realm ships? No, those belong to the Empress..." He said. "Get ready for a fight, people. The Realm will not let us loot her that easy now."

He noticed the birds hovering around the ship, and climbed the sails to get a better view.

"Birds on a ship... An Empress ship would not stoop too low as to fish, so what do they hope to eat?

Int + Sail roll
[roll0]

OracleofSilence
2017-08-29, 07:49 PM
"Awww. No fun Cap'n, no fun at all." Leopard is positively bouncing in anticipation, apparently completely oblivious to the fact that people would be dying soon. The pirates had been a letdown.

HalfTangible
2017-08-29, 08:08 PM
"Awww. No fun Cap'n, no fun at all." Leopard is positively bouncing in anticipation, apparently completely oblivious to the fact that people would be dying soon. The pirates had been a letdown.

She stuck her tongue out. "I told you exactly what other kinda fun you could've had. But be quiet a moment, trying to think here."

(roll already made)

Gareth3
2017-08-30, 01:28 AM
Although it's too far away to see the hulls clearly, it's obvious that one ship is smaller than the other. The large ship is the size of a Blue Water Merchant, as the Hearthfire is expected to be. The smaller one could be anything, but the Realm is known to have small ships dedicated to naval combat. Birds are usually found this far from land only during a migration. Even if a ship was feeding them, they wouldn't follow it this far out.

HalfTangible
2017-08-30, 12:53 PM
Vary frowned. "Might be our new friend." She muttered. "But that's fairly conspicuous..."

She whistled to her crew. "Okay people, we got a big fight coming, so ready the catapult. Let's close in and prepare to board!!"

Gareth3
2017-08-31, 02:52 AM
All Ships
The ships are close enough now for figures to be visible moving on the deck of the larger vessel. They drag a huge silver animal sculpture to the side of the ship and heave it over into the sea.

All three ships are close enough to start naval combat manuevers against the two Realm ships. Please declare which ship you're opposing.

A seagull perches in the rigging of the Zeal. It's plumage has a different pattern to the gull that Kumo turned into. It squawks at Vary:
"Four Immaculates, two Dynast pilots, one Dynast soldier, two lightning ballistae."
A lightning ballista is a weapon which does twice as much damage in naval combat as a conventional ballista.

Volthawk
2017-08-31, 03:54 PM
When Nazir sees the enemy ship dump what looks like the warstrider, his pulse quickens. It's really happening. Looking back at the pilot, he roars out an order to get them closer, the pilot expertly following his command and maneuvering the Quicksilver around the Hearthfire.

Taking a Positioning manuever against the Hearthfire (well, the big one Nazir's assuming is it).

Pilot's Wits+Sail: [roll0] - 8 successes, goddamn dude.

Incidentally, forgot naval combat was Wits-based. Nazir's less awful at this than I thought, but the pilot's still better (Nazir rolls 6 dice, no charms) .

snakeobsidian
2017-08-31, 08:49 PM
"No one ever said there were two!" Falcatta said. "No matter! We'll take the support ship, and then gang up on the Hearthfire with all the others!"

He rushed to his command post, the steering wheel, and went against the smaller, probably faster ship.

Wits + Sail + Specialty roll [roll0]

HalfTangible
2017-09-01, 05:02 PM
"Heh. You owe me money, Leopard." She pointed down to her crew. "SIGNAL TO THE OTHER SHIPS: SEVEN DRAGON BLOODS, TWO MAGIC ARTILLERY."

"Pilot, bring us onto the Hearthfire and prepare to board. We've got scales to shred."

Wits (2) + Sail (3)
[roll0]

Gareth3
2017-09-03, 08:53 PM
The Zeal signals SEVEN DRAGONBLOODS, TWO MAGIC ARTILLERY. The two ships are close enough now to provide more evidence for this - six figures on the deck of the Hearthfire and one on the deck of the smaller ship wearing armour unlikely for mortals. On each ship is a machine of blue stone and silver metal, presumably the artillery. The smaller ship's nameplate reads CRYSTAL. It's clear that it's an Imperial Trireme, designed only to destroy other ships.
Two of the Dragonblooded, one on each ship, are wearing identical Realm armour. They both point at the Zeal, shouting at their mortal crew.

Hearthfire Positioning against the Zeal. Dice pool 9, Maneuverability 0, -2 penalty for being opposed by multiple ships, 7 dice [roll0]
Crystal Positioning against the Zeal. Dice pool 9, Maneuverability 2, 11 dice. [roll1]

Gareth3
2017-09-03, 09:09 PM
The Crystal expertly maneuvers alongside the Zeal, easily dodging the Hawk in the process. The Hearthfire follows, the massive ship moving more clumsily. With the Hearthfire's attention distracted, the Quicksilver moves alongside it in turn.

Quicksilver Momentum 5 Opposing Hearthfire
Hawk Momentum 0 opposing Crystal
Zeal Momentum 0 opposing Hearthfire, next maneuver is at -2 for being opposed by two ships
Hearthfire Momentum 3 opposing Zeal, next maneuver is at -2 for being opposed by two ships
Crystal Momentum 8 opposing Zeal

Volthawk
2017-09-03, 09:31 PM
Nazir grins as he watches the ships manuever around each other. He may not be the most intelligent man, and he may still rather new to the naval world, but if there's one thing he's good at it's that gut instinct understanding - that they're being left alone as the enemy focuses on the Zeal. Opportunity.

Looking back again at the pilot as he expertly sails the Quicksilver, Nazir laughs and shouts out to him. "Keep at the Hearthfire! We need to get on it!"

Taking a Positioning manuever against the Hearthfire again.

Pilot's Wits+Sail: [roll0] - 2 successes

HalfTangible
2017-09-03, 09:45 PM
Vary gritted her teeth as the opposing two ships both came for her. That would be a very serious problem for Zeal, but they were closing in instead of bombarding with the lightning ballistae.

Vary threw up one hand. "Okay people, we're gettin' flanked! We're gonna give them a fight while our friends outmaneuver them in the waves! Ready the catapult, dig in your heels, and let's make Zelos proud! THE HEARTHFIRE'S DAYS AS A REALM VESSEL ARE NUMBERED!!"

Wits 2 + Sail 3 + Excellency 5, Opposing the Hearthfire
[roll0]
8/13
33/33

snakeobsidian
2017-09-04, 05:27 PM
Falcatta maneuvers the Hawk closer to the now named Crystal, trying to distract it from overwhelming The Zeal. He rushes straight to the trireme from the side of the ship that is not aiming at the Zeal, to make them choose a different target.

"It's time to make us the biggest nuisance around! Let's blast the Scarlet seals off this ship!"

Wits + Sail + Specialty + Excellency (x4)
Excellency motes from Peripheral Pool.
[roll0]
Personal 13 / 13
Peripheral 47 / 43

Gareth3
2017-09-04, 07:17 PM
The pilots and crew of both the Heartfire and the Crystal are almost completely focussed on the Zeal, only glancing in the direction of the other ships to make sure they're not an immediate threat. As the Crystal comes alongside the Zeal, it lurches over, trying to ram its prow into the other ship's hull. The Hearthfire is still tacking, trying to reach a better position to attack.

Hearthfire Positioning against the Zeal. Dice pool 9, Maneuverability 0, -2 penalty for being opposed by multiple ships, 7 dice [roll0]
Crystal Ram against the Zeal, cost 7 Momentum Dice pool 9, Maneuverability 2, 11 dice. [roll1]

Gareth3
2017-09-04, 07:43 PM
The steel ram on the Crystal's prow tears a slash in the Zeal's hull and her deck shudders and groans. As the two ships are briefly locked together, the Crystal's crew shrink back, staring in fear at the three Solars. Then the Crystal tears free of the Zeal, spraying splinters into the ocean. The sudden movement takes it out of danger from the Hawk. The Zeal's deck tilts as the ship takes on water. On the other side of the Zeal, the Hearthfire manuevers into a good position for a broadside, just managing to avoid the Quicksilver in the process.

Quicksilver Momentum 5 against Hearthfire
Hawk Momentum 0 against Crystal
Zeal Momentum 0 against Hearthfire, 3 points Hull damage, -4 to next manuever for damage and two opponents.
Hearthfire Momentum 6 against Zeal, next manuever -2 for two opponents
Crystal Momentum 1 against Zeal

Volthawk
2017-09-04, 07:55 PM
"Dammit!" Nazir's spoken assessment of the situation was as brief as usual for him, and he quickly decides to stick with what they're doing - changing focus would ruin their efforts to get close to the Hearthfire, and on a more emotional level he didn't want to back down and focus anywhere other than on the Hearthfire. He was so close now to finally getting Ego.

Taking a Positioning manuever against the Hearthfire again.

Pilot's Wits+Sail: [roll0] - 4 successes

HalfTangible
2017-09-05, 04:01 AM
"... Well. ****."

Vary scowled and glared at the Hearthfire as it turned for a broadside. This was bad. Very, very bad. In a moment, that lightning ballistae would be prepared to open fire in full, and Zeal would soon be sunk to the bottom of the ocean. The Hearthfire was too perfectly positioned to not take the shot.

... But she had one idea. The other ship, the interceptor? It had closed in with that ramming maneuver.

"Boys," She said, her voice dripping with venom, "I have a very dumb plan. Try to avoid the broadside and get ready to board, I'm going to need the backup."

There was a moment of hesitation from her crew, but only a moment. They quickly threw themselves into their work, and she felt a small smile twitch onto her face. Good men. She only hoped this worked so she could bring them home.

Vary knelt, feeling essence surge through her limbs.

And as she burst from the deck, leaping straight for the Crystal, she felt her veins burn to life, and her anima flared to blaze like the sun. Within the light stood a warrior from an age long past, eyes burning with hatred for those who had betrayed her.

As Vary raised her head, her eyes blazed too, and she readied her spear.

"WHO'S FIRST?!"

Motes at start of round: 13/13, 33/33

Wits + Sail + Excellency 5 (10)
[roll0] (Seemed okay, given that the boat is still manuvering by my orders before I jump.)

Dexterity (4) + Athletics (5) + Excellency (9)
Supplement with Monkey Leap (2m) (can leap forward one range band without having to roll)
[roll1]
2 die stunt
[roll2]

21 motes (peripheral) (If I can't do the maneuver, then I have 17 peripheral motes instead of 12)

13/13
12/33

Anima: ICONIC (possibly just burning)