PDA

View Full Version : Factotum spellcasting: what type?

eversilentone
2017-07-03, 04:01 AM
Hi folks,

I know that a Factotum has a caster level = class level for its SLAs. My question is, what type of caster is a Factotum?

Arcane (draws from Sorcerer/Wizard list after all), arcane-like (like a Warlock - can't cast x level spells - they're SLAs after all - but they're still arcane), or "untyped caster" (like shadowcaster - explicitly not arcane).

I'm asking because I'm trying to work out if they can qualify for Arcane Caster Level X presitge classes.

Thanks in anticipation,
ESO

Edit: incidentally, first post but long time reader! =D

Scots Dragon
2017-07-03, 04:24 AM
The class feature is called 'arcane dilettante', so it's an arcane caster, but it doesn't prepare spells ordinarily. Can probably count for arcane caster level in the same way as a warlock.

eversilentone
2017-07-03, 04:57 AM
The class feature is called 'arcane dilettante', so it's an arcane caster, but it doesn't prepare spells ordinarily. Can probably count for arcane caster level in the same way as a warlock.

Aye, I'd tend to agree, I just couldn't see it called out in the text. I was thinking particularly about Sand Shaper (requires Arcane Caster Level 5) - as far as I could see so long as they were treated the same as Warlocks it would be fine /shrugs

Hunter Noventa
2017-07-03, 06:06 AM
It also can only pick from the Sorcerer/Wizard lists, so that would factor into it.

Fouredged Sword
2017-07-03, 11:57 AM
It isn't. It can cast a few SLA's a few times per day, but it never gets a class feature called spellcasting and the class feature it DOES get cannot be advanced by any PRC's that advance spellcasting.

eversilentone
2017-07-03, 12:45 PM
It isn't. It can cast a few SLA's a few times per day, but it never gets a class feature called spellcasting and the class feature it DOES get cannot be advanced by any PRC's that advance spellcasting.

I don't disagree that PRC can advance casting - as you say, it doesn't have that ability/class feature. However, if I wanted to access Sand Shaper because of the actual sand shaping, and Factotums have a caster level (as per text), the only question is whether they are arcane casters.

Bucky
2017-07-03, 01:07 PM
Spell-like abilities are typically neither arcane nor divine. I see no reason why Factotums would be any different.

Necroticplague
2017-07-03, 01:35 PM
Hi folks,

I know that a Factotum has a caster level = class level for its SLAs. My question is, what type of caster is a Factotum?

Arcane (draws from Sorcerer/Wizard list after all), arcane-like (like a Warlock - can't cast x level spells - they're SLAs after all - but they're still arcane), or "untyped caster" (like shadowcaster - explicitly not arcane).

I'm asking because I'm trying to work out if they can qualify for Arcane Caster Level X presitge classes.

They aren't any kind of caster. They have some SLAs. SLAs aren't arcane or divine, they just are. So, while a Factotum could meet straight CL-based prerequisites, as per Complete Arcane, page 72, they cannot meet 'Arcane Caster Level' prerequisites, because they lack an arcane caster level (instead having a caster level they use for their SLAs).

Fouredged Sword
2017-07-03, 01:45 PM
As a dm i would allow a player to call it arcane as the class feature references arcane. This is rai, not raw though.

Telonius
2017-07-03, 02:02 PM
RAW, the "spells" are Spell-Like Abilities, not actual spells; neither arcane nor divine. The Factotum's caster level for the SLA is equal to their character level, per the text.

Personally I'd allow it to count for "Arcane Caster Level X" requirements, and allow PrCs that advance arcane casting to advance Arcane Dilettante. (I cut Warlocks a lot of slack for PrC requirements too; YMMV).

eversilentone
2017-07-03, 02:51 PM
Brilliant stuff, folks, thanks very much :)