PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Say we got an "Ansalon/Greyhawk Adventurer's Guide": What'd be in it?

Shadow_in_the_Mist
2017-07-03, 06:21 AM
The recent topic asking what's actually in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide had me delving back into that book after a fair hiatus from it, which made me realize there's actually a fair amount of setting-based (but pilferable) crunch along with the setting fluff. And that in turn got me thinking... leaving out the "gonzo settings factions", the demand for Planescape, Eberron, Spelljammer, etc, there's a sizeable population of fans who would love to see some kind of love given to D&D's other classic settings: Greyhawk and Dragonlance.

Now, I'll be the first to admit I know pretty much nothing about Greyhawk and my Dragonlance knowledge is far from encyclopediac, but I'm honestly curious: if we could get a SCAG-equivalent for either setting, what sort of new crunchy goodness could there actually be in it?

For example, let's look at the Dragonlance setting.

In terms of races, we got: Tinker Gnomes (literally Comic Relief by way of Bungling Inventor versions of the Rock Gnomes we already have), Kender (what's left to really differentiate them from a Lightfoot Halfling Rogue? Most of their stuff like being lucky or fearless is now inherent to the halfling), Minotaurs (untouched save in that UA), Draconians (incredibly hard to balance, and I would know), Half-Goblins, Theiwar (sorcerous Deep Dwarves), Gully Dwarves, and Aquatic Elves. Not a lot to work with, is there?

Likewise, what is there to do for class-related crunch? I suppose with some finagling, you could perhaps make the three High Sorcery Towers into new wizard traditions, seeing as how, technically, each tower is supposed to grant mastery over two specific types of magic (Abjuration/Divination for White, Evocation/Illusion for Red, Enchantment/Necromancy for Black). Maybe you could argue Solamnic Knights as a new Paladin subclass, but honestly I can easily see those being just a Krynnish take on the Knightly Order background applied to a human Fighter or Paladin.

So, let's hear it from the people who love these settings: what possible crunchy goodness could WoTC tap into in order to maximise the profit generation of a SCAG style setting sourcebook?