PDA

View Full Version : Necromantic Feats

Maximum Carnage
2017-07-03, 09:11 AM
Hey guys, I need a good feat build for a level 9 sorcerer who is using mostly necromancy spells. All four feats for being level 9 are unassigned, can someone show me a good path to take? This character mostly uses summon undead and debuffs, but he evokes a little bit due to his sorcerer class.

Thanks for the help in advance,
MC

The_Jette
2017-07-03, 12:20 PM
3.5 or Pathfinder? I'm assuming 3.5, since you said 4 feats, and a PF Sorc would have 5. But, I want to double check.

ATHATH
2017-07-03, 01:37 PM
Why are you a Sorcerer and not a Dread Necromancer?

In either case, I recommend picking up the Mother Cyst feat.

Maximum Carnage
2017-07-03, 01:50 PM
Why are you a Sorcerer and not a Dread Necromancer?

In either case, I recommend picking up the Mother Cyst feat.

Because Dread Necromancers are not fun in my opinion. They are limited to what they can cast, and just not that much fun to RP. It's hard to avoid common cliches with DNs. I'm building an NPC to face off AGAINST a Dread Nec PC. So I wanna spice it up...

And yes, for further reference, I'm playing 3.5

TheFurith
2017-07-03, 01:53 PM
It's hard to avoid common cliches with DNs.

What're the common cliches of the Dread Necro? I ask because I've never actually seen a person use one.

King539
2017-07-03, 02:20 PM
Corpsecrafter stuff.

The_Jette
2017-07-03, 02:24 PM
Undead Familiar seems like it would be an obvious choice. Use the Libris Mortis alternate undead features and you can end up with an flaming zombie capuchin monkey. :smallbiggrin:

ATHATH
2017-07-03, 05:18 PM
Because Dread Necromancers are not fun in my opinion. They are limited to what they can cast, and just not that much fun to RP. It's hard to avoid common cliches with DNs. I'm building an NPC to face off AGAINST a Dread Nec PC. So I wanna spice it up...

And yes, for further reference, I'm playing 3.5
Idea here... Dip Prestige Bard 1 (which you automatically meet the spell requirements for at 8th level (1st if you can snag an Illusion spell from somewhere) to add all of the Bard-only spells to your spell list. Take Practiced Spellcaster to return your CL to its normal level, and become a/the Necrodancer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypt_of_the_NecroDancer).

C'mon. You know you wanna do it.

You can also pick up Sanctified and Corrupt spells by taking the Arcane Preparation feat (rip off parts of your soul to form Lantern Archons... Then sacrifice them as Soul components (since an Outsider's body is its soul)), and pick up the Cerebrosis feat (which you can pick up without using a feat slot for only a few thousand GP and a point of CON) for some Far Realm-themed stuff. Doing the Prestige X trick could also work for Prestige Paladin and Prestige Ranger, although you'd have to shift alignment for the former and take the Southern Magician and Arcane Disciple feats or dip Druid 1 to meet the spell requirement for the latter.

atemu1234
2017-07-03, 06:00 PM
The Mother Cyst line is always useful, introducing a modicum of versatility to any class. If you plan on making undead minions, corpsecrafter is likewise very useful.

Maximum Carnage
2017-07-05, 07:14 AM
What're the common cliches of the Dread Necro? I ask because I've never actually seen a person use one.

In my mind, they all fall into the same line of "Spread terror and pestilence." or "Cover the world in darkness with my undead minions."

I'm not saying you couldn't make a Dread Necromancer PC unique, but the people I've played with aren't very creative I guess. They just come off as extremely vanilla in my opinion.

ATHATH
2017-07-05, 01:16 PM
In my mind, they all fall into the same line of "Spread terror and pestilence." or "Cover the world in darkness with my undead minions."

I'm not saying you couldn't make a Dread Necromancer PC unique, but the people I've played with aren't very creative I guess. They just come off as extremely vanilla in my opinion.
And your Sorcerer won't do that stuff because...?

Maximum Carnage
2017-07-05, 01:34 PM
And your Sorcerer won't do that stuff because...?

..... I'm a stronger RPer than my players.

Since you ain't getting it, we'll try this again...

1.) Dread Necromancer's spell list sucks. Summon Undead and status effects. No blasting spells.
2.) I already HAVE a DN in my PC party, so to avoid a mirrored NPC, I'm going with Sorcerer.
3.) With a DN in my group, it would be a boring battle to have the PC DN and the NPC DN battle over control of a skeleton. This way, if the PC takes control of a summon, my villain still has options in the form of ranged evocation spells.
4.) I just don't like Dread Necromancer

As far as the flavor goes. Personally, I don't see a DN being any alignment other than Evil, their endgame is literally, become a lich. It doesn't give you much to work with.

Last but not least: A DN would get crushed by my party. (take my word for it,) whereas a sorcerer will make a fine challenge.

Satisfactory answer? Don't mean to grill you just thought I was clear the first time.

MC

ATHATH
2017-07-05, 04:14 PM
Ah. I see.

Well, I'd still recommend using a group of monsters rather than a single boss. If you still want the flavor of a single boss, I recommend using the Two Orcs method.

Nifft
2017-07-05, 04:38 PM
- Fell Drain
- Practical Metamagic (Fell Drain)
- Versatile Spellcaster
- Minor Shapeshift [Reserve] - for +9 temporary HP every round as a Swift action

Solid Fog + Fell Drain Kelgore's Grave Mist + Fell Drain Haboob, then pelt them with Fell Drain Fireballs and Fell Drain Cloud of Knives.

... while they fight your skeletons in the clouds.

DrKerosene
2017-07-06, 08:15 AM
Black Lore of Moil allows you to spend NPC gear/treasure on adding damage to non-damaging spells. No spell level increase or anything! I think this can stack with some weird spell spell components too.

Lord of the Uttercold is not bad if you plan to use Skeletons (or Cold Immune Undead) with some energy subbed spells. I always want to combine this with "Born of Three Thunders" but it takes away from the "necromancer" feel.

Edit: Spelltouched feats, Lifeleech and Stench of the Dead might be good on a Gish.

Segev
2017-07-06, 11:19 AM
Hey guys, I need a good feat build for a level 9 sorcerer who is using mostly necromancy spells. All four feats for being level 9 are unassigned, can someone show me a good path to take? This character mostly uses summon undead and debuffs, but he evokes a little bit due to his sorcerer class.

Thanks for the help in advance,
MC

Looking specifically to your requests in this post and to the comments about DNs not blasting, I will reiterate the suggestion of Mother Cyst and its line of spells.

I have espoused this combination before, but feel it might help you here:

Using command undead to have a number of friendly Skulking Cyst minions, the sorcerous necromancer (SN for short) can infect villages and towns with Necrotic Cysts. This allows him to use necrotic scrying to spy anywhere he wants, really. It may even behoove him to make a magic item that does that second level spell at will. A 30% cost reduction for requiring the Mother Cyst feat to use it would make plenty of sense.

He then uses necrotic tumor to either plant suggestion-like time bombs or to out-and-out take over living beings as permanent minions. All via necromancy.

So now he's a mastermind with a shadowy puppeteer vibe.

Finally, necrotic eruption allows him to use his minions as 15d6 of damage explosions that force heroes to save lest they become infected with Necrotic Cysts, as well. Oh, and half the damage is Vile.

I like using innocent-looking members of favored races of the heroes, sending them to plead for aid in escaping the wicked sorcerer's control. Maidens, children, whatever seems most heart-wrenching. Then blow them up in the arms of the hero promising to protect them.

Oh, and don't skimp on magic jar. With this spell, you can be possessing any of these minions, or even a mindless undead, and you can even hop from body to body, so the heroes never even know what to target to get rid of you. Just keep that gem well hidden.

Xethik
2017-07-06, 04:13 PM
Lord of Uttercold might be a bit much, but it's a pretty fun spell. Let's you blast without hurting undead (or heal them).
Might cause issues when going against another necromancer, but it's pretty fun either way.

Zanos
2017-07-06, 04:17 PM
Necromantic Presence gives +4 turn resistance to undead you control within 60 feet of you. Not fantastic, but good if you run into clerics.
Necromantic Might requires necromantic presence and gives +2 to attack and saves to undead you control within 60 feet of you. Not terrible.

Maximum Carnage
2017-07-07, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys, I think I have enough content to make a solid character here, if anyone has interest, I'll post the sheet on here, so you guys can see what you helped build.

Thanks again,
MC

ShurikVch
2017-07-07, 11:57 AM
While it's not exactly a "Necromantic Feat" - how about the Superior Summons from Dragon #311?
It allow to apply Champion template to all your summons
Champion template: creature get maximal hp/HD, and you can cast touch-range spells on it from 30' range
For example, Zombie (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/zombie.htm) Wyvern (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wyvern.htm) (Summon Undead IV list) will have 168 hp
And you can summon two of them with a single cast of Summon Undead V
Feat by itself have no prerequisites (except "a daylong ritual attended by six others, at least one of whom is a conjurer"), but casting spell with it required extra material component - 250 gp of topaz ("per spell", not "per creature")

Nifft
2017-07-07, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys, I think I have enough content to make a solid character here, if anyone has interest, I'll post the sheet on here, so you guys can see what you helped build.

Yes, please do.

Maximum Carnage
2017-07-10, 03:31 PM
Whelp, here he is. For your consideration....

Drakmaw Among The Tombs

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1236710

Maximum Carnage
2017-07-10, 03:34 PM
Yes, please do.

I did go with Fell Drain & Practical Metamagic (Fell Drain) which I think will be perfect for the encounter. Maybe make my players sweat a little bit...

Nifft
2017-07-10, 03:51 PM

Drakmaw Among The Tombs

Fell Drain + Caltrops (a cantrip).

Damn, man, that's awesomely brutal. I salute your evilness, and will totally copy that some day.

Maximum Carnage
2017-07-10, 03:55 PM
Fell Drain + Caltrops (a cantrip).

Damn, man, that's awesomely brutal. I salute your evilness, and will totally copy that some day.

I appreciate it, thanks for the help!

JustIgnoreMe
2017-07-10, 04:13 PM
Ah. I see.

Well, I'd still recommend using a group of monsters rather than a single boss. If you still want the flavor of a single boss, I recommend using the Two Orcs method.
I had to google that, so to assist anyone else:

http://theangrygm.com/return-of-the-son-of-the-dd-boss-fight-now-in-5e/

ATHATH
2017-07-10, 05:22 PM
I had to google that, so to assist anyone else:

http://theangrygm.com/return-of-the-son-of-the-dd-boss-fight-now-in-5e/
There are sequel articles too, by the way.

ATHATH
2017-07-10, 05:24 PM
Necromantic Presence gives +4 turn resistance to undead you control within 60 feet of you. Not fantastic, but good if you run into clerics.
Necromantic Might requires necromantic presence and gives +2 to attack and saves to undead you control within 60 feet of you. Not terrible.
Isn't Turn Resistance something that you actively want to avoid as a necromancer, since it makes your own undead take up more HD slots in your control pool? I mean, if this guy controls his undead via an alliance or plot magic or something, that's fine, but if you're trying to make a villain "by the book", so to speak, turn resistance is really bad.

Zanos
2017-07-10, 05:48 PM
Isn't Turn Resistance something that you actively want to avoid as a necromancer, since it makes your own undead take up more HD slots in your control pool? I mean, if this guy controls his undead via an alliance or plot magic or something, that's fine, but if you're trying to make a villain "by the book", so to speak, turn resistance is really bad.
Only if you use rebuking to control, which is a tiny pool. Animate dead and command undead do it anyway.

JustIgnoreMe
2017-07-10, 05:52 PM
There are sequel articles too, by the way.
Awesome, thank you.

danielxcutter
2017-07-10, 10:04 PM
Fell Drain Sonic Snap is a nasty combo too... no save, no SR, just 1 sonic damage and the Fell Drain effect. From a 1st level slot with Practical Metamagic.

Pretty neat!

Maximum Carnage
2017-07-11, 03:54 PM
Fell Drain Sonic Snap is a nasty combo too... no save, no SR, just 1 sonic damage and the Fell Drain effect. From a 1st level slot with Practical Metamagic.
Pretty neat!

Thanks! I'm glad you dig it! I'm not trying to beat my players into submission, but I think this will give them a nice little challenge.

Thurbane
2017-07-28, 08:54 PM

Drakmaw Among The Tombs

One thing I can't help noticing: AC 14, 36hp, and no defensive spells other than Mage Armor? I know you're going to be behind a wall of summoned undead, but honestly - defenses matter.