PDA

View Full Version : Is there a male version of nymphs?

Perch
2017-07-03, 12:29 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bd/Waterhouse_Hylas_and_the_Nymphs_Manchester_Art_Gal lery_1896.15.jpg/1200px-Waterhouse_Hylas_and_the_Nymphs_Manchester_Art_Gal lery_1896.15.jpghttps://cdn.wittyfeed.com/6469/gthm2deyi0m13aq8awzv.jpeg?tr=q-40

Before anyone says anything, YES I KNOW, that Satyrs are basically the male equivalent for the Nymphs and when they copulate if the baby is male it’s a Satyr and if it’s female it’s a Nymph. And although some are very handsome most are short, fat, hairy and ugly with crooked faces and creepy facial expressions.

What I’m asking is: If is there a mythological creature, a river spirit, that looks like a young, hunky and handsome lad that help adventures, and live underwater.

Is there such thing? I know that "Sit still, look pretty" is not a very manly thing to do but still it’s the same problem with Incubus, the females get to be super-hot demons and the guys have to be imp like short creatures. What’s the deal?

My players are exploring an cave, one of the players found a nymph in the grotto, I was palyign to make her charm him and steal his stuff but he said “Hey this is obviously a trap but screw that” and started making out with her, as the group plans to go rescue him I wanted to have more nymphs to try to charm them but one of the players is a girl who is playing with a female character and the other is a guy who is playing as a slutty sorceress.

This whole scenario started to become like joke and I don’t want to leave anyone left out. :p

Perhaps I should just give up this idea before it gets out of hand xD

legomaster00156
2017-07-03, 12:38 PM
Well, in Pathfinder, at least, incubi actually are portrayed as "devilishly handsome men". As for your question, off the top of my head, I can't think of any such race, but you could always go for other aquatic beings, with mermen being the most obvious.

ahyangyi
2017-07-03, 12:41 PM
Can't think of any. A problem is there were seldom female adventurers in "traditional" myth and folklore. Therefore a male counterpart of nymphs will be useless to the stories..

I'd just throw in some magical handsome male fey. No root in traditions, but you can make it up and it won't sound too bad.

Perch
2017-07-03, 12:44 PM
Well, in Pathfinder, at least, incubi actually are portrayed as "devilishly handsome men". As for your question, off the top of my head, I can't think of any such race, but you could always go for other aquatic beings, with mermen being the most obvious.

But that's not hwo they look in the myths:
http://www.presstetouan.com/imagesnews/1369004480.JPG
http://www.occultphysics.com/images/incubus-demon.jpg
https://seanchase.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/an-incubus-leaving-two-sleeping-girls-fuseli-1793.jpg
https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/megamitensei/images/3/3f/Incubus2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110925205727

Besides, mermen were traditionally depicted as unattractive. Only now, in some modern depictions they look handsome.

Vinyadan
2017-07-03, 12:46 PM
River gods were totally a thing. However, they weren't seen as seductive, but they could be very passionate -- see Alphaios.

They also looked a bit older than nymphs, nympha simply means girl iirc. I guess that a middle aged godly looking man with a beard still can be seductive for a girl, though.

There's a lot of images of them. Just search river god in Google images.

Mastikator
2017-07-03, 12:47 PM
Satyr is the male equivalent of the nymph.

(it's not a perfect reflection but it's pretty close, as close as you're gonna get without just being a cheap gender swapped copy)

Edit- just here for my daily dose of humiliation humility

Nupo
2017-07-03, 12:48 PM
The nymph in Pathfinder https://newpathfinderraces.wordpress.com/2014/11/18/nymph/ throughout refers to it as a she, but doesn't specifically state that it has to be. I thought it would be fun to create a male nymph, make him 200+ pounds with charisma as his dump stat. Have him run around dressed only in a speedo. The description of Blinding Beauty doesn't state that the individual actually has to be beautiful. I'm thinking this character would have the blinding ability, but for quite the opposite reason, and he wouldn't be able to turn it off with anything short of invisibility. :smalleek:

Perch
2017-07-03, 12:53 PM
Satyr is the male equivalent of the nymph.

(it's not a perfect reflection but it's pretty close, as close as you're gonna get without just being a cheap gender swapped copy)

:smallsigh: *Sigh* :smallannoyed:

scalyfreak
2017-07-03, 01:00 PM
Yes, there is, in Swedish folklore. Google Näcken.

Or if you prefer, wait for me to get home from work tonight, so I'm not posting from a phone, and I'll have details for you.

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-07-03, 01:24 PM
Sparkly vampires? *the most evil smiley you can imagine*

Inevitability
2017-07-03, 01:25 PM
Fossegrim? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossegrim)

scalyfreak
2017-07-03, 01:49 PM
Fossegrim? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossegrim)

That's essentially the same as my suggestion, just a different name:smallsmile:

Nifft
2017-07-03, 02:04 PM
What I’m asking is: If is there a mythological creature, a river spirit, that looks like a young, hunky and handsome lad that help adventures, and live underwater.

There's this guy (from the movie Spirited Away):

http://i.imgur.com/WWSNFG5.jpg

Haku is a river-dragon who turns into a heroically proportioned blush-inducing young man.

Cluedrew
2017-07-03, 04:40 PM
Although sexual dimorphism is a fun concept, it doesn't quite click for me with nymphs and satyrs. My general solution for this type of thing is just to say "[other gender] [gender associated creatures] are a thing"*. So yeah, just make the nymphs male, maybe refer to them as water spirits to avoid overloading a term.

The other option (although this doesn't quite answer the question but might still solve the problem) is that nymphs are genderless/bi-gendered and have some limited shape-shifting ability. So the first nymph's friends might shift to there best guess of the rest of the party's preferences.

* With the possible exception of witches for some reason.

BayardSPSR
2017-07-03, 04:45 PM
Yes, there is, in Swedish folklore. Google Näcken.

Having googled it, I second this recommendation.

Haku is a river-dragon who turns into a heroically proportioned blush-inducing young man.

Can verify. Related to this, there's nothing stopping you from re-theming any creatures from folklore as "sit still, look pretty" hunky types.

My players are exploring an cave, one of the players found a nymph in the grotto, I was palyign to make her charm him and steal his stuff but he said “Hey this is obviously a trap but screw that” and started making out with her, as the group plans to go rescue him I wanted to have more nymphs to try to charm them but one of the players is a girl who is playing with a female character and the other is a guy who is playing as a slutty sorceress.

Since nymphs are magical creatures to begin with, could you also just have them shapeshifting or using illusions to alter their appearance? Or automatically being perceived as the observer's desired gender in the first place?

EDIT: Ninja'd! (I've always wanted to get to say that)

comicshorse
2017-07-03, 05:37 PM
The Kelpie or Water Horse from Scottish myth, when they don't look like horses appear as handsome men

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie

Shamash
2017-07-03, 06:49 PM
Well, nymphs is a very board term, there are many sub-species such as the Dryads(tree nymphs) and Nereids(Sea nymphs) the Nereid actually had a brother who was called Nerites.

He was basically what you are looking for, a young boy of stunning beauty, even Aphrodite falls in love with him.

Maybe you could call male nymphs Nereid? That would keep the Greek theme.

You may argue that it's the name of a specific being and not a species but the same could be sad about Medusa, Pegasus, hydra, Minotaur etc… That didn’t keep fantasy authors from making a race out of them.

If not I second Näcken (Nix), as usual the Nordic legends are a lot more progressive. :smallamused:

Allowing both beautiful, scantily clad maidens...and handsome, athletic young shirtless men.

The Kelpie or Water Horse from Scottish myth, when they don't look like horses appear as handsome men

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelpie

But they are violent rather than sexy and seductive.

Mechalich
2017-07-03, 07:20 PM
Fox spirits, which play a similar role in a number of eastern mythologies, can be male or female, and the male versions were generally handsome (also well-spoken and interested in the arts).

scalyfreak
2017-07-03, 07:52 PM
Since others have already posted links and details on Näcken/Fossegrim, I will refrain. I will instead suggest that one of the possible advantages of using that myth as the blueprint for your water dwelling seducer is that there's a good chance your players won't recognize what manner of creature this is.

He would be very polite, helpful, charming in every way... naked of course, and immediately try to befriend the bard of the group (if there is one).

Not technically a river spirit, not a male nymph, not faerie kind (that is debatable, btw), not a male naiad... you can drive your players crazy with this.

halfeye
2017-07-03, 08:13 PM
Water horses are dangerous:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippopotamus

FreddyNoNose
2017-07-03, 08:57 PM

If there was an American Sitcom based on this it would have someone like Kevin James playing the part!

ahyangyi
2017-07-04, 12:01 PM
Well, nymphs is a very board term, there are many sub-species such as the Dryads(tree nymphs) and Nereids(Sea nymphs) the Nereid actually had a brother who was called Nerites.

He was basically what you are looking for, a young boy of stunning beauty, even Aphrodite falls in love with him.

Maybe you could call male nymphs Nereid? That would keep the Greek theme.

You may argue that it's the name of a specific being and not a species but the same could be sad about Medusa, Pegasus, hydra, Minotaur etc… That didn’t keep fantasy authors from making a race out of them.

If not I second Näcken (Nix), as usual the Nordic legends are a lot more progressive. :smallamused:

Allowing both beautiful, scantily clad maidens...and handsome, athletic young shirtless men.

But they are violent rather than sexy and seductive.

Cool.

Too bad Googling "nerites" returned me some images of snails, but that's probably the biologists to blame. After all, they also use "nymphs" to denote young insects...

Lemmy
2017-07-04, 12:59 PM
Well... In Brazilian folklore, there're tales about the Boto Cor-de-Rosa (aka: Encantado), which is as pinkish dolphin that takes the form of a handsome young man to seduce young ladies. You can probably find more about it by looking for "Encantado"in Google.

EDIT: Encantados also live in rivers and are often described as possessing great singing skills (as well as a myriad of nature/water-themed powers that change from tale to tale), so they are an even better male Nymph-analog! :smallsmile:

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-07-04, 01:30 PM
Well... In Brazilian folklore, there're tales about the Boto Cor-de-Rosa (aka: Encantado), which is as pinkish dolphin that takes the form of a handsome young man to seduce young ladies. You can probably find more about it by looking for "Encantado"in Google.

Sounds like they might be related to selkies.

Lemmy
2017-07-04, 01:38 PM
Sounds like they might be related to selkies.
Might be, but Selkies are usually found in the sea, while Encantados are river dolphins. Both work for the purpose of this thread, though. :smallsmile:

5ColouredWalker
2017-07-04, 01:39 PM
Or that a dolphin will rape anything that floats.
One of the two.

Ravens_cry
2017-07-04, 01:43 PM
I think fawns and satyrs were the mythological counterparts to nymphs and dryads.

Perch
2017-07-04, 02:16 PM
I think fawns and satyrs were the mythological counterparts to nymphs and dryads.

:smallsigh::smallsigh::smallsigh:

Anyway, I end up going with the Näcken.

Thanks for the help guys! :smallcool:

VincentTakeda
2017-07-04, 02:41 PM
Satyrs for sure.. Mister Tumnus was a *naughty* fawn.

Frozen_Feet
2017-07-04, 03:13 PM
@Lemmy: I recall river dolphins were the go-to explanation for when a youbg woman gave birth out of a wedlock.

Girl: "I swear! It was a dolphin!"
Men of the village: *nodding sagely* "Yes. Totally a dolphin."

scalyfreak
2017-07-04, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the help guys! :smallcool:

You're welcome! :smallsmile:

Let us know how it goes!

Lemmy
2017-07-04, 04:38 PM
@Lemmy: I recall river dolphins were the go-to explanation for when a young woman gave birth out of a wedlock.

Girl: "I swear! It was a dolphin!"
Men of the village: *nodding sagely* "Yes. Totally a dolphin."
Yup. I'm sure that's very far from being the only case of mythology being used as cover-up for socially reprehensible behavior... :smallamused:

Frozen_Feet
2017-07-04, 05:45 PM
I'm not sure if they're much of a cover-up, I've always felt everyone was in on the joke.

But it does bring to mind a similar superstition. For a while in England, there existed a belief that a woman couldn't become pregnant unless they orgasmed. So some ladies were quite shocked they were knocked up after unenjoyable sex. And them quite reasonably concluded they must've been raped by a devil and that the growing child was spawn of evil. :smalltongue:

Lvl 2 Expert
2017-07-05, 03:00 AM
Yup. I'm sure that's very far from being the only case of mythology being used as cover-up for socially reprehensible behavior... :smallamused:

The German city of Aachen used to be plagued by a monster that attacked drunk men on their way back from the bar. It would jump on their back to slow them down, and the more they pleaded that they had such a nice wife to get back to and that they were already late the more the monster would lean on them and the more it would slow them down. Could take you most of the night to get past it.

Then Charlemagne/Charles the Great came along, and publicly declared he had slain the monster, and that now all husbands would be able to get home on time again. Such a spoilsport that guy.

But I'm going offtopic here...

Misereor
2017-07-05, 05:41 AM
Since others have already posted links and details on Näcken/Fossegrim, I will refrain.

I won't. :smallbiggrin:

Danish: Nøkken.
Musical shapeshifter. Always has 4 limbs, and most often appears as a man or small horse. In horseshape will often lure victims into grabbing it's tail, whereupon they will get stuck and dragged into the water to drown. Occasionally requires Human sacrifice, and in absence of such will cause it's river/stream to flood.

Swedish: Näcken. In Northern Sweden sometimes Forskarl (waterfall man).
Same thing, but is unable to shapeshift into a ram, because it cannot replicate the curve of it's horns.
Swedish Näckes would teach Skjalds to play, but often they would be unable to stop playing again, and any listeners would be unable to stop dancing unless someone was able to break the instrument.

Norweigan: Nykk or Fossegrim (waterfall man). Fors is the Old Norse word for the power in a stream, probably borrowed from the Latin Fortis, which is also the ancestor of the word "Force".
Still the same thing, but would sometimes ride a black horse.

Old Norse: Nykur.
In Icelandic and Faroese tales it had the power to spell-bind whole villages with it's music, but if you spoke it's name, the spell would be broken.
Could be bound and forced to labor by spitting on it's back every day. If you forgot, it would either run off or stay to take revenge.

German: Der Nöck for males and die Nixe for females. Nykr i proto-Germanic.
Decribed as a merman/maid river variant. Females would use their beauty to lure passers-by into the water where they would drown them.

English: The nicker, Nix/Nixie, or Nokken. In Old English Nicor (Grendel was a Nicor-child)
Like the German equivalent could be either male or female.
A Sussex variant of the Nicker was the Knucker, which was snake-like monster that lived in deep lakes.

Finnish: Näkki
Back to the shapeshifter variant. Mostly known for drowning children, but worshipped on Midsummers Night where it would rise from the water and dance for the people.
Would sometimes manifest as a woman with three breasts, or as a hound, horse, or fish when luring people to their deaths. Ugly Fish-man in it's true form.
(The baltic version sounds positively Lovecraftian...)

The etymology of the word seems to be of some common Indo-European origin and means "wash" (Greek, Germanic, Sanskrit). "Naked" seems to be a derivation in several languages.
In relation to the thread, if I had to guess, Water Nymphs and Nixies probably derive from a common ancestor.

That should be plenty of Nix to work with, even if they're not all pretty like requested.
But Water Nymphs were known for shapeshifting too (Thetis certainly did in the tale of Achilleus), so who knows if their beauty was their true forms.

5ColouredWalker
2017-07-05, 08:02 AM
The German city of Aachen used to be plagued by a monster that attacked drunk men on their way back from the bar. It would jump on their back to slow them down, and the more they pleaded that they had such a nice wife to get back to and that they were already late the more the monster would lean on them and the more it would slow them down. Could take you most of the night to get past it.

Then Charlemagne/Charles the Great came along, and publicly declared he had slain the monster, and that now all husbands would be able to get home on time again. Such a spoilsport that guy.

That, wow that was a good one.

Lemmy
2017-07-05, 02:43 PM
I'm not sure if they're much of a cover-up, I've always felt everyone was in on the joke.From what I learned (growing up in Brazil), basically, it was indeed a cover up... But the Encantado stories were so popular (and so is premarital sex), that they eventually were so overused to the point of becoming a joke. :smallsmile:

Hah! That's awesome!

BayardSPSR
2017-07-05, 05:56 PM
:smallsigh::smallsigh::smallsigh:

You're sure you don't want to use satyrs? :smalltongue:

goto124
2017-07-09, 04:19 AM
I don't even know which version of satyrs we're talking about!