PDA

View Full Version : New Build Help: Walker in the waste

LaRayna
2017-07-03, 05:46 PM
So my DM is letting me start off as a dry lich which is the capstone for a walker in the waste, so I'm wondering first, is it even worth it to play a walker in the waste? If so, what are some ideas for a build. And second, if it is not worth it to play a walker in the waste, what would be close? Note, I am building a divine caster, as you need to be a divine caster to get in, and I've seen some people try to make an arcane one which you really can't.

TheFurith
2017-07-03, 06:21 PM
Don't see somebody play a dry lich everyday.

Walker in the Waste doesn't seem worth it. You lose two caster levels and the only thing that's actually good on it desiccating touch and dry lich. Which you already have.

Really depends on if you're going for just being as strong as possible, or making something interesting to play. I'd recommend archivist, because it's both. Unless you dip for DMM. Then you just become a cookie, and nobody wants to be a cookie. Especially a desiccated cookie.

LaRayna
2017-07-03, 07:14 PM
Don't see somebody play a dry lich everyday.

Walker in the Waste doesn't seem worth it. You lose two caster levels and the only thing that's actually good on it desiccating touch and dry lich. Which you already have.

Really depends on if you're going for just being as strong as possible, or making something interesting to play. I'd recommend archivist, because it's both. Unless you dip for DMM. Then you just become a cookie, and nobody wants to be a cookie. Especially a desiccated cookie.

I don't know, the archivist does not seem like something I would normally play. And I could be missing something, but I'm not entirely sure how the archivist is useful personally. The only other option for me, with DM approval, is being able to play a death knight and be a winterhaunt of Iborighu, kind of the opposite I know, but they have immunity to cold which makes it more ideal.

TheFurith
2017-07-03, 07:41 PM
I don't know, the archivist does not seem like something I would normally play. And I could be missing something, but I'm not entirely sure how the archivist is useful personally. The only other option for me, with DM approval, is being able to play a death knight and be a winterhaunt of Iborighu, kind of the opposite I know, but they have immunity to cold which makes it more ideal.

Well. I mean. It does basically have access to every single spell. Ever. So it'd be easier to list the things it's not useful as. But being an undead with unholy toughness fixes the only thing it's not good at, and that's taking damage. Just stay out of the rain, not that that'd be a problem because you'd be able to control the weather. Because every spell ever. Unless your DM wants to make it difficult to get spells, which since you're starting as a dry lich, or any other sort of advanced undead I'm going to guess they won't.

It also has a stun as a skill check. Which is really strong. You'd have access to all means of buffing undead, or creating more if that's your thing. Also healing them, including yourself. All those knowledge skills work well with Knowledge Devotion, if you plan to be in melee at all. And you might as well be, you're more durable than a barbarian and can have full BAB with Divine power. Class is basically as powerful or as useful as you decide you want to be.

But if it's not your thing, it's not your thing. Just not a whole ton of divine casters out there.

Recommend Death Frost Spell feat for the Winterhaunt. Which I find an odd class. It requires divine spell casting to qualify, but can advance arcane casting instead if you choose.

LaRayna
2017-07-03, 08:25 PM
How do they have access to every spell?

And as for the death frost spell feat, where can I find that?

TheFurith
2017-07-03, 08:39 PM
How do they have access to every spell?

And as for the death frost spell feat, where can I find that?

They can scribe any divine spell, from any list, into their books. With the dozen ways in which any arcane spell can be used as a divine spell, as well as simply teaming up, with say a wizard, to make a divine scroll of a wizard spell, they can then scribe that scroll into their book. So every single spell.

Death Frost Spell is in Dungeon(not dragon) Magazine, issue #109, page 50.

LaRayna
2017-07-03, 08:43 PM
Ah, I see. Well we dont have an arcane caster in our party, and sadly our DM is for the most part strict when it comes to things like that. He's even iffy about all third party material and the like.