PDA

View Full Version : Using the Divine Rules of 3.5, can one become a Deity?

Someguy231
2017-07-03, 08:17 PM
Just wondering in case when the campaign I'm in hits epic levels, I want to become a demingod at the most.

ngilop
2017-07-03, 08:53 PM
Just wondering in case when the campaign I'm in hits epic levels, I want to become a demingod at the most.

There's not.

Becoming deity is something you and the DM should discuss and allow to happen through roleplaying and story goals.

Nifft
2017-07-03, 08:55 PM
There's rules about what happens if your DM allows you to become a demigod, but there's no specific RAW way to ascend.

Presumably that sort of thing is setting-specific.

FreddyNoNose
2017-07-03, 08:56 PM
There's not.

Becoming deity is something you and the DM should discuss and allow to happen through roleplaying and story goals.

And if you do become a god, you will be a first level god! j/k

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-03, 09:00 PM
Deities and Demigods has a few options for how to ascend to godhood. They're somewhat loose, though, and are more like suggestions than hard and fast rules.

I recall of few of them being:

- A quest to the magic awesome place of granting godhood.

- Asking another god to be a bro and hook you up with some divine ranks.

- Probably the most popular, if kill a god you steal his divine ranks.

There were more, but that gives you some idea of how you can become a god.

GreatWyrmGold
2017-07-03, 09:37 PM
You can't just become a demigod. If your mom was mortal and your dad was mortal, you're SOL.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-03, 09:38 PM
You can't just become a demigod. If your mom was mortal and your dad was mortal, you're SOL.

Nah, Demigod is a specific divine tier in 3.5. Despite the name, they're full fledged deities.

Quasi gods can be the result of a god and mortal romance, but they don't have to be.

unseenmage
2017-07-03, 11:23 PM
There's always that one Wish based ritual from Savage Species that changes your race. Depending on how borked you want your gameworld to be that could be an option.

Being within a god's divine realm and letting it use it's divine salient ability to rewrite reality as it sees fit it might maybe could make you a god.

The Dreamheart and the Lucid Dreaming skill from Manual of the Planes is somewhere that anything is possible, godhood could be found there.

The Far Realm is another place where technically anything is possible; but it's a terrible idea. You definitely shouldn't try to use the forces of madness and insanity to make yourself more powerful.

Remuko
2017-07-03, 11:26 PM
Become a dragon. Take levels in Dragon Ascendant. Capstone makes you divine rank 0. I don't know if theres a RAW way to get more ranks than that.

Celestia
2017-07-04, 01:12 AM
Create an Ice Assassin of a god. Command it to make you a god. That's how Pun-pun does it. *nods*

Crake
2017-07-04, 01:59 AM
Become a dragon. Take levels in Dragon Ascendant. Capstone makes you divine rank 0. I don't know if theres a RAW way to get more ranks than that.

The Dragon Ascendant class doesn't actually explicitly give you divine rank 0, it simply calls you a quasi deity and gives you a few benefits. The quasi deity line could easily be interpreted as fluff text, since it makes no mention of divinity rules, or even bother pointing you toward deities and demigods.

Inevitability
2017-07-04, 05:49 AM
Take the Epic Destiny (Demigod) (http://web.archive.org/web/20100916093852/http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drfe/20080428) feat, which makes you a deity somewhere far in Epic levels. Note that this is mostly fluff and may be dependent on DM-judgement.

BWR
2017-07-04, 06:55 AM
What I would do (and my players are doing) is use the BECMI Paths to Immortality. Full details are in the Rules Cyclopedia, Immortals gold box, and Wrath of the Immortals.
Without going too much into detail and making some adjustments for differing systems, it went like this.

All prospective Immortals (gods) have to quest for a hidden place sacred to a potential patron Immortal, undergo trials of worthiness on the way, and give a gift worthy of the Immortal in question. Assuming the patron accepts the PC, you have four Paths to choose from: Paragon, Dynast, Epic Hero and Polymath.

Path of the Polymath
You are reincarnated into a new race and class and set out to quest for a specific artifact. Classes should be as different from the others as possible. Traditionally this would be fighter, thief, cleric and magic-user, so some variations on these general concepts is a good idea. No Sorcerer/wizard/arcanist/duskblade combos, for instance. The exact details of the quest are not specified but I have ruled they must take the character from level 1 to at least 12. The character must also be accompanied by a well-rounded party the entire way
Once the three extra lives are completed, you get a fourth life as a gestalt of your classes, with a final quest that takes you to at least level 12, but this one must be undertaken solo.

Path of the Paragon
Create an entirely new magic item. I suggest it be no less powerful than a minor artifact. A full artifact if you can manage it. Recruit at least six apprentices and see them gain twelve levels under your teachings. Duel at least 8 characters of your class (or general concept) of at least 18th level and be acknowledge their superior. Radically transform the landscape for 100 miles around your home (you know the floating cities of Netheril in FR, and how an archmage made one to show his/her prowess? One Mystaran mage did that to an entire country for his Path)

Path of the Epic Hero
Quest for a major artifact that has been lost. This is meant to be the sort of challenge legends are made of, so more like a high-leveled adventure path than a single small thing. Track down and destroy an artifact belonging to the enemy of your patron. Expect it to be well-guarded and garner you some serious long-term enemies, usually the personal attention of a now hostile god. Find and train a successor, which must be another PC, though need not be of the same class. the successor must accompany your on quests and have a notable position at your side. Create or commission a weapon of great power which you must wield in adventure after adventure until it is nearly as legendary as you, then grant it to your successor if you become a god. One final task of monumental and lasting importance, like driving all dragons from the land in such a way no others want to come back.

Path of the Dynast
Found a realm of at least 50 000 inhabitants. Design and build a capital for the realm. Rule for at least 20 years. Have a grandchild or equivalent in line of succession. Overcome at least four major trials during your reign. Quest for an artifact of time travel and travel ahead to at least three different time periods and aid your heirs in maintaining the realm.

Oh, you also have to keep your attempt at divinity a secret from other people.

Once the path Path is completed you are now the equivalent of the Divine Rank 1 character.

Necroticplague
2017-07-04, 09:47 AM

Yes, there is. There's a template that turns you into a god. Unfortunately, it requires 10 levels in fighter, fighter, ranger, or paladin. LA: As base race and turns you into a quasi-diety (Divine Rank 0).

Goaty14
2017-07-04, 10:19 AM
Yes, there is. There's a template that turns you into a god. Unfortunately, it requires 10 levels in fighter, fighter, ranger, or paladin. LA: As base race and turns you into a quasi-diety (Divine Rank 0).

Do you have a name of it?

Necroticplague
2017-07-04, 10:39 AM
Do you have a name of it?

Yes, I do.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-04, 10:58 AM
The Dragon Ascendant class doesn't actually explicitly give you divine rank 0, it simply calls you a quasi deity and gives you a few benefits. The quasi deity line could easily be interpreted as fluff text, since it makes no mention of divinity rules, or even bother pointing you toward deities and demigods.

A Quasi god has divine rank zero; the rules in Deities and Demigods explicitly say so.

Yes, I do.

Do tell, I'm very curious.

Inevitability
2017-07-04, 11:47 AM
Einherjar, I believe it was.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-04, 11:48 AM
Einherjar, I believe it was.

Do you know where it's from?

Inevitability
2017-07-04, 11:53 AM
Do you know where it's from?

3.5 update to Deities and Demigods.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-04, 12:03 PM

Thanks, I never would have found it otherwise.

the_david
2017-07-04, 03:23 PM
I'm not familiar with the template, but didn't the mythological Einherjar have to die in battle before actually becoming Einherjar? And even then, it would be a fifty-fifty chance. (I might be wrong about the last part.)

Nope, I'm right. Half of them actually end up in Folkvangr instead of Valhalla. The people who don't die in battle end up in hell. (Hel's realm.)

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-04, 03:53 PM
I'm not familiar with the template, but didn't the mythological Einherjar have to die in battle before actually becoming Einherjar? And even then, it would be a fifty-fifty chance. (I might be wrong about the last part.)

Nope, I'm right. Half of them actually end up in Folkvangr instead of Valhalla. The people who don't die in battle end up in hell. (Hel's realm.)

All the template says is that you have to be good-aligned and have at least 10 levels in Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger or Paladin.

GilesTheCleric
2017-07-04, 05:15 PM
All the template says is that you have to be good-aligned and have at least 10 levels in Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger or Paladin.

Odds of dying in battle are pretty high, then. Seems appropriate.

Someguy231
2017-07-04, 10:51 PM
Take the Epic Destiny (Demigod) (http://web.archive.org/web/20100916093852/http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drfe/20080428) feat, which makes you a deity somewhere far in Epic levels. Note that this is mostly fluff and may be dependent on DM-judgement.

That's for 4th edition. :/

torrasque666
2017-07-04, 11:50 PM
The article is backporting them to 3.5. its in the title. "Epic Destinies in D&D 3.5"

Inevitability
2017-07-05, 12:16 AM

It's 3.5 material based on 4th edition. I have played both, and I can assure you that 80% of the feat's benefits refers to concepts that are meaningless in 4e.

Scots Dragon
2017-07-05, 12:51 AM
Create an Ice Assassin of a god. Command it to make you a god. That's how Pun-pun does it. *nods*

And then the Dungeon Master's Guide flies straight at your head. Better duck.

GreatWyrmGold
2017-07-05, 04:11 PM
Nah, Demigod is a specific divine tier in 3.5. Despite the name, they're full fledged deities.

Quasi gods can be the result of a god and mortal romance, but they don't have to be.
Which is just weird, especially since WotC didn't borrow any other mythological terms for other divine levels. Why not just call them "least deities"?

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-05, 04:13 PM
Which is just weird, especially since WotC didn't borrow any other mythological terms for other divine levels. Why not just call them "least deities"?

They already have "Lesser Deities", having "Least" would make things kind of confusing.

Celestia
2017-07-05, 09:43 PM
And then the Dungeon Master's Guide flies straight at your head. Better duck.
Don't worry. My AC is near infinite, so the DM will miss.

Inevitability
2017-07-06, 01:01 AM
Don't worry. My AC is near infinite, so the DM will miss.

What if they roll a 20?

Celestia
2017-07-06, 02:21 AM
What if they roll a 20?
Darn. The only flaw I'm an otherwise flawless plan. Curse you, probability!

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-06, 11:06 AM
Darn. The only flaw I'm an otherwise flawless plan. Curse you, probability!

If you've got Divine Dodge and 50 Divine Ranks or more, you have a 100% miss chance.

Inevitability
2017-07-06, 01:11 PM
If you've got Divine Dodge and 50 Divine Ranks or more, you have a 100% miss chance.

What if the DMG is enchanted?

Seeking
Only ranged weapons can have the seeking ability. The weapon veers toward its target, negating any miss chances that would otherwise apply, such as from concealment. (The wielder still has to aim the weapon at the right square. Arrows mistakenly shot into an empty space, for example, do not veer and hit invisible enemies, even if they are nearby.)

Strong divination; CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, true seeing; Price +1 bonus.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-06, 01:12 PM
What if the DMG is enchanted?

If your DM has enchanted books, I'd say you've got bigger problems on your hands. :smallamused:

CIDE
2017-07-07, 01:47 AM

I thought I had the updated deities and demigods but I can't seem to find it. I found the monster entry but nothing about a template or requirements or anything like that. Pg 199? Or is it in a web enhancement/eratta sort of update?

Inevitability
2017-07-07, 02:10 AM
I thought I had the updated deities and demigods but I can't seem to find it. I found the monster entry but nothing about a template or requirements or anything like that. Pg 199? Or is it in a web enhancement/eratta sort of update?

It can be found here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a) for free.

RedMage125
2017-07-07, 02:53 AM

Also, because "demigods" are not the "least" of deities. That would be "Quasi-Deity" or "Hero Deity".

Demigods are Divine Rank 1

Quasi (Hero) Deities are Divine Rank 0, which may be kind of confusing, but Divine Rank 0 is STILL a Divine Rank.

CIDE
2017-07-07, 05:52 AM
It can be found here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a) for free.

My man! Thanks.

Coidzor
2017-07-07, 06:34 AM
They already have "Lesser Deities", having "Least" would make things kind of confusing.

Didn't stop them from having Least, Lesser, Greater, and Siberys dragonmarks and a few other instances of least to lesser to greater gradients.

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-07, 10:55 AM
Didn't stop them from having Least, Lesser, Greater, and Siberys dragonmarks and a few other instances of least to lesser to greater gradients.

True. They should have called Quasi gods Demigods, and then used Hero Deity or something for the first tier of actual godhood.

unseenmage
2017-07-11, 11:13 PM

Am looking at the template now and cannot find reference to LA anywhere in the thing. Anyone care to clue my clueless self in to what I'm missing?

ColorBlindNinja
2017-07-11, 11:15 PM
Am looking at the template now and cannot find reference to LA anywhere in the thing. Anyone care to clue my clueless self in to what I'm missing?

If I had to guess, I'd say it doesn't have LA.

torrasque666
2017-07-12, 12:33 AM
As with all templates, if it lacks a line detailing a change to a statistic, it makes no change to that statistic. It has no line for Level Adjustment, therefore it makes no change to Level Adjustment.