PDA

View Full Version : Mystic/Psionic Disciplines and Wild Shapes

Onyxbear
2017-07-03, 09:32 PM
I'm wondering the popular ruling to this situation: Could you use a Mystic/Psion Discipline or Talent while in Wild Shape? One it's not a spell, two no components needed, and three Disciplines are mental abilities which you keep your mentality in wild shape. What's your ruling?

RSP
2017-07-04, 03:30 PM
I'm wondering the popular ruling to this situation: Could you use a Mystic/Psion Discipline or Talent while in Wild Shape? One it's not a spell, two no components needed, and three Disciplines are mental abilities which you keep your mentality in wild shape. What's your ruling?

Haven't gone through the Mystic too much but I like to keep the UA stuff separate from other stuff as it's not been designed with multiclass in mind, so I'd probably go with 'no' as a basic rule. I'd be open to review some stuff on a case by case basis though, as Wild Shape isn't as restrictive as Polymorph.

clash
2017-07-04, 03:42 PM
I would rule it like subtle spell and spells with no material component. If you rule that would allow the spell to be cast in wildshape then psionics can be cast in wildshape. If not then no.

p_johnston
2017-07-04, 03:50 PM
If I were to allow players to multiclass a mystic then yes psionic abilities would be usable in wildshape. Psionics are dependent on your mental abilities and not your physical form. No verbal component so not being able to speak doesn't stop it, no material or somatic components so a lack of hands doesn't stop it.
That being said the mystic is still being tested to get the balance right as just the class by itself. Adding multi classing to it (or any other unearthed arcana) is generally a very bad idea.

sightlessrealit
2017-07-04, 05:07 PM
Yep, I allow it without a doubt.

furby076
2017-07-04, 06:06 PM

Yup can work. It's mental. Psionics != spellcasting

Haven't gone through the Mystic too much but I like to keep the UA stuff separate from other stuff as it's not been designed with multiclass in mind, so I'd probably go with 'no' as a basic rule. I'd be open to review some stuff on a case by case basis though, as Wild Shape isn't as restrictive as Polymorph.
Since Mystic is being allowed in AL, can they be multi-classed now?

Bugado25
2017-07-05, 08:39 AM
As it isn't allowed to multiclass with UA, there are no RAW answers for it. But i found this tweet.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/26/mystic-barbarian-multiclass/

Mortis_Elrod
2017-07-05, 09:07 AM
As it isn't allowed to multiclass with UA, there are no RAW answers for it. But i found this tweet.

I'd generally agree with this. While spellcasting and psionics are different, they are both magic and limitations on spellcasting are to represent limits on magic imo.

I'm not sure if casting is called out specifically as a limitation of magic however, i think in general people read it as 'your form cant do spells because it cant provide the components' but the text calls out spell casting with or without components as well. And you keep your features and would be able to use them if you form was physically capable of doing it. Well psionics is purely mental so that part is a yes....

I'd say no...but im not opposed to a yes.

sightlessrealit
2017-07-05, 09:07 AM

It's not that it isn't allowed to multi class with UA. It's just not made with multi classing in mind.

RSP
2017-07-05, 09:38 AM
Since Mystic is being allowed in AL, can they be multi-classed now?

It's not that it isn't allowed to multi class with UA. It's just not made with multi classing in mind.

Just curious if anyone has the official AL ruling that its allowed and whether or not that includes multiclassing.

Waterdeep Merch
2017-07-05, 12:07 PM
Just curious if anyone has the official AL ruling that its allowed and whether or not that includes multiclassing.
I'm AFB, but I believe if the class isn't listed on the multiclassing page in the PHB, you can't do it. Multiclassing always has an innate ability score that must be at a 13, possibly two, and also specific benefits that are gained when you pick up the class after your first level. Without these rules, mystic isn't available as a multiclassing option. Not until they release expanded rules allowing it.

I could be wrong about this being RAW, but I'm betting that's the reasoning.

Matrix_Walker
2017-07-05, 01:03 PM
Mystic is not tuned for Multiclassing.

The Mystic is not yet AL legal. There has been talk about adding Wizards material posted at DM's Guild as a "+1", but that is not yet official.