PDA

View Full Version : Greatbow ammunition rules

Roninn
2017-07-03, 10:30 PM
Using the stats from Complete Warrior, the Greatbow basically fires a spear for ammunition.

Question 1: Can I use actual spears or spear-like weapons as ammunition? With all their abilities and magic?

Question 2: Do the "arrows" used with a greatbow follow the same 50% recovery rate as regular arrows? I mean, they're bigger, sturdier, and a hell of a lot more stout than their normal counterparts.

Help guys.

zergling.exe
2017-07-03, 10:42 PM
No and Yes respectively. Greatbows still fire arrows, no matter how spear-like they seems. Compare this to a cloud giant firing a bow, those arrows will likely be bigger than a human and perhaps even thicker than one too, and they still break like normal. Also, any piece of ammunition that connects with its target is destroyed, only ammunition that missed is recoverable.

DrMotives
2017-07-03, 11:09 PM
Ballista bolts are even bigger, and there's nothing I've ever heard about recovering those things. Fired is spent, in real life. But by RAW, they're as recoverable as any other ammo. Should be the same for the greatbow.

Bohandas
2017-07-03, 11:11 PM
It's not fletched; it would go off course

Roninn
2017-07-04, 12:24 AM
It's not fletched; it would go off course

True, but how hard would it be to tie some feathers to the ass end of it?

Goaty14
2017-07-05, 03:26 PM
True, but how hard would it be to tie some feathers to the ass end of it?

No, it wouldn't be hard; but then it would be an improvised weapon; and improvised weapons don't do damage like weapons do.

No matter how much you want to think it is an arrow; it still has a range of 20 ft.