PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Replacing a Wizards Familiar with and Animated Book

tedcahill2
2017-07-03, 11:37 PM
Is there anything in the books/dragon that would allow a wizard to have an animated book for a familiar?

I want to refluff the wizard's familiar in a future campaign to be an animated spell book, that hovers in front of him flipping pages as he reads spells from it.

Secondary question: if I were to home brew this, I can see the book providing +2 to all knowledge checks as a familiar bonus, but should I otherwise use the same abilities on the current familiar table?

TheTrickster
2017-07-04, 12:26 AM
Is there anything in the books/dragon that would allow a wizard to have an animated book for a familiar?

I want to refluff the wizard's familiar in a future campaign to be an animated spell book, that hovers in front of him flipping pages as he reads spells from it.

Secondary question: if I were to home brew this, I can see the book providing +2 to all knowledge checks as a familiar bonus, but should I otherwise use the same abilities on the current familiar table?

I don't have the book in front of me, but could an item familiar from Unearthed Arcana could work for what you need? I'm can't remember if there is an ability to make the book hover, but you can make it an intelligent item that can eventually cast spells. Maybe enchant the book with a spell that allows it to hover, so that it meets the 2000 gp prerequisite for item familiar.

ATHATH
2017-07-04, 01:39 AM
There's probably something in some city-themed book/article that'll let you take an Animated Object as a familiar.

Why not make it a masterwork tool, thus providing you with the spellcraft bonus without homebrew?

Bullet06320
2017-07-04, 01:48 AM
There's probably something in some city-themed book/article that'll let you take an Animated Object as a familiar.
urban druid from dragon compendium has animated objects as an option for a companion

there is a 3rd party book, the book of familiars that has rules for animated objects as familiars

Thurbane
2017-07-04, 04:18 AM
Get a Boccob's Blessed Book, use the intelligent magic item rules, temporarily suppress it's magic with a Dispel Magic, then hit it with an Animate Object followed by Permanency.

Not exactly a familiar, but you have an intelligent, animated spell book.

WhiteBread
2017-07-04, 09:12 AM
I think you can do this by using Item Familiar combined with Craft Construct to make urself a flying animated weapon book.

Gildedragon
2017-07-04, 02:07 PM
Item Familiar feat sorta "works"

Imbued Staff rules (Drag Comp) + Alternative spell book rules (little carved sections of staff + blessed book creation)

Tattoo your familiar

Construct familiar integrated with a blessed book or spellshard