PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Spiderfolk (low-power Nerubians/Ettercaps for PCs)

rferries
2017-07-04, 03:40 AM
This is intended as a LA+1 race for 3.5. Evil-aligned PC race, if perhaps more mellow than orcs etc. As with my take on serpentfolk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?529161-Serpentfolk-(low-power-yuan-ti-for-PCs)) I hope LA+1 is appropriate; I see most of their powers as being feat taxes.

Spiderfolk
http://i.imgur.com/IEkZkJ1.jpg

Physical Description: Spiderfolk resemble spiders of prodigious size, with slight humanoid features - their cephalothorax arches upright so that their fangs and many eyes are at the level of a humanoid face, and their pedipalps bear claws that can function as opposable digits. They otherwise have all the classic features of spiders, such as separate abdomens, eight legs, etc.

Society: Spiderfolk are generally loners, more monster than humanoid. In ages past they once ruled an empire built on necromantic magic, where obsidian spires rose from kingdoms swathed in spidersilk and web-wrapped mummified undead served as labourers. Those days of dark glory are long since passed however, and spiderfolk now organise into small family groups at best. They are content to sit and wait, letting life come to them.

Relations: Spiderfolk have no love for the company of their own kind, but their alien natures also make them unwelcome amongst the other races. However, their inherent skill at crafts and the Art sometimes allows them to earn a trade in frontier settlements, and even in jaded metropolises where other bizarre races are welcomed.

Alignment and Religion: Spiderfolk traditionally worship deities of magic and undeath, a holdover from their long-crumbled empire. They tend towards neutrality and evil in equal measure.

Adventurers: The adventuring life is at odds with the traditional patient indolence exhibited by the archetypical Spiderfolk. Nevertheless an ambitious few sometimes seek out power and wealth; such individuals usually tap into their ancestral talents with arcane magic but can also be skilled warriors or druids.

http://i.imgur.com/9CeHv0b.jpg
Spiderfolk Racial Traits
+2 Intelligence, +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity: Spiderfolk are patient, strong, and crafty, but taciturn and slow-moving.

Medium: Spiderfolk are Medium creatures and receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Slow Speed: Spiderfolk have a base speed of 20 feet.

Vermin: Spiderfolk are vermin with Intelligence scores (and therefore they do not benefit from the Mindless special quality).

Darkvision: Spiderfolk have darkvision out to 60 feet.

Natural Armor: Spiderfolk have a +1 natural armor bonus.

Spider Empathy (Su): This ability functions as the druid's wild empathy, save that a Spiderfolk can only use this ability on spiders and similar creatures. A Spiderfolk gains a +4 racial bonus on this check.

Bite (Ex): A Spiderfolk has a natural bite attack that deal 1d4 damage.

Poison (Ex): A Spiderfolk has a poisonous bite that deals initial and secondary damage of 1d4 Str. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Skills: A Spiderfolk gains a +4 racial bonus on Profession (weaver) and Use Rope skill checks.

Languages: Spiderfolk adventurers begin play speaking Common. Spiderfolk with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Dwarven, Elven, Sylvan, Terran, and Undercommon.

Level Adjustment: +1.

Favoured Class: Wizard.

New Feats
Arachne's Grace
Your natural clumsiness vanishes when you are in your element -scaling walls and trees and other high places.

Prerequisite
Spiderfolk.

Benefit
Balance and Climb are always considered class skills for you. You always have ranks in those skills equal to your character level +3 (you regain any skill points you invested in those skills when you take this feat).

Black Widow's Blessing
Your abdomen bears a scarlet hourglass - a symbol of inevitability and death that in your case wards them off.

Prerequisite
Spiderfolk, Wisdom 12.

Benefit
You gain a permanent death ward effect on your person. This effect can be dispelled but you may reactivate it on your turn as a free action.

Chitinous Carapace
Your armored shell is extraordinarily tough.

Prerequisite
Spiderfolk, Character level 6th, Con 12.

Benefit
Your natural armor bonus increases to one-third your character level.

Spiderfolk Hunter
You are as agile as your diminutive jumping and hunter spider cousins.

Prerequisite
Spiderfolk, base attack bonus +4.

Benefit
Jump and Spot are always considered class skills for you. You gain one skill point for each cross-class skill rank you have already invested in those skills when you take this feat.

Your base land speed increases to 40 feet.

Spidersilk Crafting
You can weave spidersilk as quickly and deftly as any arachnid.

Prerequisite
Character level 4th, spiderfolk.

Benefit
You gain the ability to use web as a spell-like ability. You may use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 plus your Constitution modifier.

Whenever you fall, you may attach a line of spidersilk to the surface you fell from (if any) as an immediate action. If you are able to do so, you gain the benefits of a featherfall spell for as long as you fall and may halt (or resume) your fall at any time you wish. You may carry up to a heavy load's worth of companions and equipment in this way but any excess weight causes the line to snap and all parties involved to resume falling as normal.

Spidersilk Mummy
You have learned the secret rituals of your ancestors and may now create mummies who are utterly loyal to you.

Prerequisite
Spiderfolk, Spidersilk Crafting, Character level 8th.

Benefit
You learn a special ritual to raise your foes as mummified servants. To perform the ritual, you must provide the corpse of a humanoid foe that you personally killed (and dealt at least 1 Strength damage to with your poisonous bite). The corpse must be wrapped in your own spidersilk and be subjected to a create undead spell (which you need not cast yourself), after which it rises as a mummy that is under your complete control. You may command one mummy in this way for every 4 character levels you possess.

If you are at least 16th level and subject the corpse to create greater undead, it instead rises as a mummy lord (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mummy.htm#mummyLord).

Trap-Door Spiderfolk
You have the burrowing talents exhibited by some of your lesser spider brethren.

Prerequisite
Spiderfolk, Character level 6th, Str 12.

Benefit
You gain a burrow speed of 5 feet. If you also possess the Spidersilk Crafting feat you may reinforce any tunnel you create with spidersilk, allowing other creatures to use it.

Virulent Venom
The poison of your bite attack increases in potency.

Prerequisite
Character level 3rd, Spiderfolk.

Benefit
The poison of your bite attack deals an additional 1d3 Strength damage for every three character levels you possess.

nikkoli
2017-07-04, 06:16 AM
This is nifty, only things I see are that you say serpent folk in bite, poison, and languages. I would also make them aberrations, both ettercaps and nerubians are aberrations in lore and such. The nerubians are also started out as something like 4hd +2la in the WOW rpg book and have some neat stuff if you want more inspiration for feats.

AOKost
2017-07-04, 04:17 PM
Very nicely done!

I'd suggest making their bast land speed 30, instead of 20 as most spiders are pretty quick... This should boost the increased speed with the feat taken too, though I feel that speed boost should be smaller and shifted over several feats.

I really appreciate the Spider Silk Crafting, and the Feather Fall ability it grants, but maybe you could add another feat requiring Spider Silk Crafting as a prerequisite that allows you to 'shoot' 'stretchy' web that only sticks to a target and then retracts to 1/2 it's length allowing you to swing? (Spider-man style). This could also be used as a ranged touch attack to initiate a Grapple Combat Maneuver, and the more times you shoot the target in this way, there's a cumulative bonus up to 5 webbings used this way. These uses of Web should not interfere with the standard Web abilities the Spiderfolk has.

You might consider giving them 1/2 the natural armor bonus of a Monstrous Spider their size and increase up to a Monstrous Spider as they gain levels in any class.

I feel that Trapdoor Spider Folk should also grant a bonus to surprise opponents that are within 5 ft of the trap door...

I've tried to come up with something similar before but this turned out much better. I had basically taken the aracne, left most of the abilities and added a 'monster progression' class that it could take, eventually allowing it to be more of an Illithid Savant at the end, using negative energy to siphon off the essence of someone they had killed with the ability... It had a lot of web type of abilities but this is much better overall.

rferries
2017-07-04, 06:49 PM
This is nifty, only things I see are that you say serpent folk in bite, poison, and languages. I would also make them aberrations, both ettercaps and nerubians are aberrations in lore and such. The nerubians are also started out as something like 4hd +2la in the WOW rpg book and have some neat stuff if you want more inspiration for feats.

Aaargh I knew I missed some edits! Thanks.

I know aberration would fit better, but I chose vermin to prevent any alter self shenanigans. If you don't think it'd be too broken I could switch to aberrations though.

Thanks for the tip! I've looked at the Warcraft conversions ages ago (the Nerubians were the obvious inspiration for this class though I always hated that they don't have 8 legs haha :D), I'll have another gander at the feats.

Very nicely done!

I'd suggest making their bast land speed 30, instead of 20 as most spiders are pretty quick... This should boost the increased speed with the feat taken too, though I feel that speed boost should be smaller and shifted over several feats.

I really appreciate the Spider Silk Crafting, and the Feather Fall ability it grants, but maybe you could add another feat requiring Spider Silk Crafting as a prerequisite that allows you to 'shoot' 'stretchy' web that only sticks to a target and then retracts to 1/2 it's length allowing you to swing? (Spider-man style). This could also be used as a ranged touch attack to initiate a Grapple Combat Maneuver, and the more times you shoot the target in this way, there's a cumulative bonus up to 5 webbings used this way. These uses of Web should not interfere with the standard Web abilities the Spiderfolk has.

You might consider giving them 1/2 the natural armor bonus of a Monstrous Spider their size and increase up to a Monstrous Spider as they gain levels in any class.

I feel that Trapdoor Spider Folk should also grant a bonus to surprise opponents that are within 5 ft of the trap door...

I've tried to come up with something similar before but this turned out much better. I had basically taken the aracne, left most of the abilities and added a 'monster progression' class that it could take, eventually allowing it to be more of an Illithid Savant at the end, using negative energy to siphon off the essence of someone they had killed with the ability... It had a lot of web type of abilities but this is much better overall.

The speed (and Dexterity penalty) is because web-weaving spiders are generally indolent, springing into action only when they've caught prey. The Hunter feat is for PCs who want to mimic jumping spiders, wolf spiders, etc... I actually agree with you flavour-wise but I needed a mechanical drawback for the class.

Haha I was SORELY tempted to add Spiderman feats - weblines, spider-sense, etc. I may do so later on, yeah :D

Whoops how did I miss natural armor! It's an obvious bonus for this race and the serpentfolk; added it in as well as Chitinous Carapace.

Trapdoor- you're quite right, but a burrow speed is already very powerful and potentially very abuseable, so I won't risk buffing the feat.

Your monstrous class sounds very intriguing! Is it posted here?