PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Gamemastering Software

Dread_Head
2017-07-04, 06:56 AM
I've been DMing for several years now and just using a collection of word documents to manage my world and the evolving story lines. Recently I've been running prebuilt modules because I haven't had the time to dedicate to world building as it's hard to manage easily. My time has opened up a little recently so I'm looking to run an open world campaign for my players and was wondering if there is any software or websites out there to make managing this sort of thing a little easier.

What I'm really looking for is something to manage locations, organisations and major NPCs and their interactions. Something that allows me to put a detailed world together and link together allies, enemies and places of influence for organisations and similarly from a locations point of view find what npcs and organisations are in that area. I'm less bothered about stat block management for the moment rather for something to put the big picture together more easily. This means that it doesn't need to be rpg specific if there is a tool out there for managing novel plots or something.

Does anyone have any suggestions for software to help me accomplish this? Alternatively if this software doesn't exist would people be interested in using it if I was to write something to do this?

Knaight
2017-07-04, 07:18 AM
Wiki software can work well here - the organizational form holds up pretty well, and it grows much more cleanly than a single long form document.

Verdac
2017-07-31, 12:11 PM
Some of my friends have been using roll20.net for their DM management, I have not tried it my self, but they strongly recommended it.

Anxe
2017-08-01, 12:31 AM
Some of my friends have been using roll20.net for their DM management, I have not tried it my self, but they strongly recommended it.

Roll20 essentially uses the Wiki format, but allows you to have stats alongside descriptions without it looking awkward.

Firest Kathon
2017-08-01, 03:43 AM
I have been using Realm Works (http://www.wolflair.com/realmworks) for some months no to run the Iron Gods Pathfinder Adventure Path. So far I like it, although it takes some practice and could be quicker. Most gripes I have with it are in my opinion connected to running a pre-made adventure, I think I would like it even more if I were to run an adventure of my own design and for worldbuilding.
I also use Hero Lab (http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab) as GM, using the pre-made encounters for the above-mentioned adventure path and the build-in combat manager ("Tactical Console"). It's very helpful and works quick, especially since almost all my players also use Hero Labs and can send me their characters in digital format for easy integration.
So I would recommend both if they are within your budget - it's the usual tradeoff between time and money (either spend money on it or do it yourself).

Zombimode
2017-08-01, 06:01 AM
What I'm really looking for is something to manage locations, organisations and major NPCs and their interactions. Something that allows me to put a detailed world together and link together allies, enemies and places of influence for organisations and similarly from a locations point of view find what npcs and organisations are in that area. I'm less bothered about stat block management for the moment rather for something to put the big picture together more easily. This means that it doesn't need to be rpg specific if there is a tool out there for managing novel plots or something.

Does anyone have any suggestions for software to help me accomplish this? Alternatively if this software doesn't exist would people be interested in using it if I was to write something to do this?

Have you considered Fantasy Grounds?

I use Fantasy Grounds for my real-life session mainly to store statblocks, make covered rolls for PCs and most importantly for the combat tracker (which really makes a difference).

I also have started to organize my campaign notes in a way you describe it and I think it works well for this (thanks to the ability to place links). Since then I've gone back to printed word documents because I felt it cumbersome to use during a session on a single small laptopscreen. (And I have no Problem organizing my notes with word docs, especially now since they aren't cluttered with stat blocks anymore).