PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Good stout halfling builds

Dankus Memakus
2017-07-04, 10:52 AM
So, im joining a new campaign soon and after watching lord of the rings i decided i want to play a halfling. Now ive never played a halfling before but i definitely want to use the stout subrace. Anyone have any characters used or suggestions?

Elminster298
2017-07-04, 10:58 AM
Do you mean "stout halfling" or is "strongheart" in a book that I don't have?

EDIT: Just noticed it's SCaG... so basically stout halfling.

Dankus Memakus
2017-07-04, 11:23 AM
Do you mean "stout halfling" or is "strongheart" in a book that I don't have?

EDIT: Just noticed it's SCaG... so basically stout halfling.

Yes its stout halfling in the player handbook, my bad.

Specter
2017-07-04, 12:02 PM
Can't go wrong with Rogue. You have your two main stats there.

But you could also go Beastmaster Ranger and ride a Giant Snake. With Mounted Combatant, you can make sure they attack you and not the snake.

Isaire
2017-07-04, 12:06 PM
I always thought a battlemaster halfling with shield and sling would be fun to play. Obviously its a small damage die though, so not at all optimal, unless your DM is willing to put in a war sling or something with a larger damage die. Works well if you mostly use maneuvers to trigger the turns of your companions.

Naanomi
2017-07-04, 12:15 PM
Not very LotR-y, but they are one of the better races for a Battlemaster Hand-Crossbow user

Dankus Memakus
2017-07-04, 12:47 PM
Not very LotR-y, but they are one of the better races for a Battlemaster Hand-Crossbow user

Doesnt matter if the class is lotr-y i just have no idea what to do as a halfling lol

Arkhios
2017-07-04, 01:02 PM
I tend to prefer thinking outside the box when I face a dilemma like that.

My personal favorite for a Stout Halfling build is definitely a character concept I carried over from Pathfinder (Society).

A Stout Halfling Barbarian

Str 15
Dex 14+2 (Halfling)
Con 15+1 (Stout)
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 8

Battleaxe/Longsword/Warhammer in two hands (versatile) is only ~1 point less effective than a greataxe, on average. Of course, you can't benefit from Great Weapon Master, unless you grab a Heavy Weapon, accept that you have disadvantage with it normally, then regularly use Reckless Attack to negate it.

AC 16 at start is nothing to scoff at.
Str 15 might seem a little low, but who cares - it's easy enough to get strength to 20. At 4th level you could pick Athletic feat for example and become amazing athlete.

At 3rd level the choice is ultimately yours. But I would go with Berserker because the character concept behind this build was virtually unhinged in (and out of) combat.
However, if you prefer a little bit more "control" over your primal nature, a Totem Warrior might be better for you. Maybe coupled with Dual Wielder and swinging two one-handed weapons (both roughly the size of yourself, mind you!)

nickl_2000
2017-07-04, 01:18 PM
Let's not forget about the beast master halfing if your DM will allow you to ride your animal companion.

I also played a very fun stout halfling rogue/shadow monk, and yes I did get tossed into battle by the fighter a few times with fists blazing

Klorox
2017-07-04, 01:42 PM

My personal favorite for a Stout Halfling build is definitely a character concept I carried over from Pathfinder (Society).

Str 15
Dex 14+2 (Halfling)
Con 15+1 (Stout)
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 8

Battleaxe/Longsword/Warhammer in two hands (versatile) is only ~1 point less effective than a greataxe, on average. Of course, you can't benefit from Great Weapon Master, unless you grab a Heavy Weapon, accept that you have disadvantage with it normally, then regularly use Reckless Attack to negate it.

Str 15 might seem a little low, but who cares - it's easy enough to get strength to 20. At 4th level you could pick Athletic feat for example and become amazing athlete.

At 3rd level the choice is ultimately yours. But I would go with Berserker because the character concept behind this build was virtually unhinged in (and out of) combat.
However, if you prefer a little bit more "control" over your primal nature, a Totem Warrior might be better for you. Maybe coupled with Dual Wielder and swinging two one-handed weapons (both roughly the size of yourself, mind you!)
I was going to recommend the exact same thing, except maybe start with a 14 STR and boost WIS or CHA a tiny bit. The major change is id suggest a shield instead of wielding a battle axe with two hands. +2 AC is better than 1 damage.

A naked AC of 18 rocks. And use a rapier with DEX, only switch to STR if you're raging.

Dankus Memakus
2017-07-04, 02:14 PM
Let's not forget about the beast master halfing if your DM will allow you to ride your animal companion.

I also played a very fun stout halfling rogue/shadow monk, and yes I did get tossed into battle by the fighter a few times with fists blazing

Do you think id be okay going straight monk?

cZak
2017-07-04, 02:31 PM

Str 15
Dex 14+2 (Halfling)
Con 15+1 (Stout)
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 8

Very good develop
But, if available, I'd suggest the Squat Nimbleness feat from UA Feats for Races.
+1 Str (or Dex, but you want that Str)
+5' speed. Offset that small size speed penalty
Proficiency in Athletics or Acrobatics. If already proficient, gain expertise in skill. Expertise in Athletics, Advantage on Strength checks, hilarity ensues as you'll be knocking bad guys all over the place.

Naanomi
2017-07-04, 03:21 PM
Hard to make a stout halfling monk when there are whisper halflings in the world

My stout halfling Battlemaster is like...
11/16/16/8/12/12
-Background: Customized Pirate or Bounty Hunter
-Perception, Sleight of Hand, Acrobatics, Intimidation
-Common, Halfling, (language of choice)
-Poison Kit, (Cooking tools at 3rd)
-Archery Combat Style
-Combat Maneuvers: Precise Shot, Menacing Attack, Goading Attack; Evasive Footwork, Parry; Commander's Strike, Maneuvering Attack; Trip Attack, Disarming Attack; Pushing Attack, Distracting Strike
-ASI: Crossbow Mastery, Sharpshooter, +2 Dexterity, +2 Dexterity, Lucky, Magic Initiate: (Mending, Guidance; Bless), Martial Adept

The order of the maneuvers may change depending on party makeup; and if you don't have a party thief you can switch in thief tools and stealth into the proficiencies. Background highly negotiable

nickl_2000
2017-07-04, 03:26 PM

Absolutely you could. The halfling luck is fantanstic with the amount of monk attacks and flurry of blows. The monks speed will make up for the loss from halfling very quickly and you don't care about not being able to use heavy weapons. Plus a bonus to con and dex is very good for a monks survivability.

Christian
2017-07-04, 03:38 PM
Hard to make a stout halfling monk when there are whisper halflings in the world

Assumes facts not in evidence. Are there whisper halflings in the world (of the campaign he's joining)?

In any case, stout halflings make perfectly good shadow monks, regardless of whether whisper halflings might make better ones.

Dankus Memakus
2017-07-04, 04:49 PM
Assumes facts not in evidence. Are there whisper halflings in the world (of the campaign he's joining)?

In any case, stout halflings make perfectly good shadow monks, regardless of whether whisper halflings might make better ones.

There are no whisper halflings sadly

Foxhound438
2017-07-04, 05:06 PM

yes, and if you do I would personally recommend using the ghostwise halfling in the SCAG. But, if that's not what you want, you can still do it. Stats are a bit more difficult, you'd have to start something like x/17/14/x/15/x and split your first ASI into dex+wis, but it's still doable.

as a matter of fact, if you're okay with having 3 8's, you could have a 16 in con to boot.

Naanomi
2017-07-04, 05:59 PM
Long Death monk could easily be refluffed as magically bestowed longevity and the like

Dankus Memakus
2017-07-04, 10:27 PM
For all those who have suggested battlemaster what kind of armor and weapons do you use

Naanomi
2017-07-04, 11:15 PM
For all those who have suggested battlemaster what kind of armor and weapons do you use
There are a few options, but hand crossbow and studded leather is my preference (with a rapier and a shield as backup, at least until level 4 when you can shoot into melee range unhindered)

Theodoxus
2017-07-04, 11:28 PM
Stout's can literally be anything and pull it off well. Yes, Lightfoot's have a slight edge for charisma based classes, but not to the point of detriment.

I started a stout monk because the DM ruled against ghostwise. After a session, I decided the party needed a bit more arcane backup and some healing, so I swapped to bard - kept stout for reasons though. Works great in the large party we're in. Course, new guy comes in with a bard, so I'm contemplating switching back to monk (I really wanted to play monk, as I play 80% healers)... so, we'll see.

I've stated out builds for every class with a stout halfling. Lucky is so great, and resistance to poison comes up often enough that I feel bad if I don't have it... If only my parties weren't so darn prejudiced against halflings...

MeeposFire
2017-07-04, 11:30 PM
I always thought a battlemaster halfling with shield and sling would be fun to play. Obviously its a small damage die though, so not at all optimal, unless your DM is willing to put in a war sling or something with a larger damage die. Works well if you mostly use maneuvers to trigger the turns of your companions.

A classic combo in most editions but if you are a real stickler for the rules in 5e you cannot load the sling if you are wielding a shield and your sling (technically no free hand to load).

Dankus Memakus
2017-07-05, 02:57 PM
A classic combo in most editions but if you are a real stickler for the rules in 5e you cannot load the sling if you are wielding a shield and your sling (technically no free hand to load).

Ah yes, it will bum me out if it breaks the rules (as a usual dm i love the rules and usually press them on my players so they dont break the game so i must do the same, its only fair)

Christian
2017-07-05, 10:52 PM
A classic combo in most editions but if you are a real stickler for the rules in 5e you cannot load the sling if you are wielding a shield and your sling (technically no free hand to load).Ah yes, it will bum me out if it breaks the rules (as a usual dm i love the rules and usually press them on my players so they dont break the game so i must do the same, its only fair)

Ammunition (heh) for any discussion, courtesy of Lindybeige: Slings and shields (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXiUDJRgiUc)

MeeposFire
2017-07-06, 07:27 PM
Ammunition (heh) for any discussion, courtesy of Lindybeige: Slings and shields (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXiUDJRgiUc)

Yea the issue with slings and shields is more a rules issue rather than a realism issue. Granted I did not expect them to use a shield of that size but that makes it even more interesting.