PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help with feats for Pain Taster build.

EisenKreutzer
2017-07-04, 11:31 AM
I have an idea for a character build thats a little out there and requires a little multiclassing and refluffing.

The idea is to build a religious zealot who practices flagellation and self-mutilation to shown his religious devotion.

My plan to accomplish this is to take 4 levels of Vivisectionist Alchemist, a single level of Unbreakable Fighter and the rest in the Pain Taster prestige class.

I chose Vivisectionist not only for the sneak attack, but also for the Ablative Barrier extract which combines nicely with the Pain Tasters special damage reduction.

I want Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Scorpion Whip, and I have been considering Flensing Strike. Is this a good route to take?
What feats should I pick for this build?

Florian
2017-07-04, 12:15 PM
No, just no. Fighter (Unbreakeable) 1/Barbarian (Armored Hulk/Invulnerable Ranger)6/Oracle 1/Rage Prophet 2/Pain Taster 1+. Whip is only good if you want to go into the Balor´s Whip chain.

EisenKreutzer
2017-07-04, 01:06 PM
No, just no. Fighter (Unbreakeable) 1/Barbarian (Armored Hulk/Invulnerable Ranger)6/Oracle 1/Rage Prophet 2/Pain Taster 1+. Whip is only good if you want to go into the Balor´s Whip chain.

It might not be optimal, but this is the character I am building.

I couldn't find any feats called Balors Whip. Which feats are you referring to?

Florian
2017-07-04, 01:41 PM
It might not be optimal, but this is the character I am building.

I couldn't find any feats called Balors Whip. Which feats are you referring to?

Villain Codex, p. 80. Balor Whip, Improved Balor Whip, Greater Balor Whip.
It´s a very tactical feat chain based on using your whip to control the battlefield and start combos.

EisenKreutzer
2017-07-04, 02:00 PM
Villain Codex, p. 80. Balor Whip, Improved Balor Whip, Greater Balor Whip.
It´s a very tactical feat chain based on using your whip to control the battlefield and start combos.

Thanks, I was looking on d20pfsrd and those feats aren't on there yet.

I'm struggling to see the real value of that feat chain, though. Dragging opponents towards you is ok, I guess, and the free attack from the Improved feat is reasonable (though I'm not sure if you would get the TWF penalty for making that attack with your offhand).
Are they really that good?

Alright, you have intrigued me. Could you go into a little more detail about how this build of yours works?

Florian
2017-07-04, 04:07 PM
Ballon Whip has three small but important details: 1) It´s not a Style feat chain, 2) They´re "count as" feats, ignoring prereqs and 3) you´re right, you could ignore TWF.

It works well with any combat style that´s based on standard attacks instead of full attacks, like a Drow Antipaladin with Touch of Corruption and cruelties, a Furious Finish Barbarian build or a dedicated Vital Strike build, like a Gorum-style Barbarian or Vexing Daredevil Mesmerist.

Ok, build. Pain Taster, Invulnerable Rager and adamatium full plate give stacking DR/-, a damn good "tanking defense". When using Barbarian levels, you´ll want a one-level dip of Oracle for the Lame curse anyways, to gain immunity to fatigue at 9th and start to rage-cycle, switching rage on and off for free and resetting 1/rage rage powers every round - I forgot mentioning the Pei Zin Practitioner archetype, that gives you Lay on Hands (and you can use a certain Oracle-only spell from scrolls). Rage Prophet is in for the ability to cast healing spells while in rage, in this case primarily Celestial/Infernal Healing to gain Fast Healing. You´ll want that to 1) Use Masochism and 2) Survive dropping out of Rage.

The rest depends a bit on personal style.

Basic Rage Powers are Superstitious, Witch-Killer and Spell Sunder, with Lesser Fiend Totem as a Extra Rage Power option for Whip and Grappling. Feats go towards Combat Reflexes and Brute Style feat chain, rounding out with Balor Whip.

I hope you´re aware how the Overrun AoO tactic works, as this is what you´ll work with.

EisenKreutzer
2017-07-04, 06:27 PM
Whew, that is a pretty complicated build! I can see how most of the moving parts work, though.

I'm not sure what "a certain Oracle only spell" is, and I definitely don't understand the Overrun AoO tactic you mentioned at the end there.

Do you think you could elaborate a little?

Florian
2017-07-05, 12:47 AM
Oracles have access to a self-only upgraded version of Enlarge Person that sets your to Huge instead of Large, a huge boon to keep CMB as well as reach competitive. Sorry, forget the name of the spell, I´m sure someone will chime in.

Overrun can be used to start a chain combo that lasts until you run out of AoOs. Overrun can trigger a trip, that triggers and AoO, that in turn... and so on. Brute style upgrades that with two aspects, enlarging the radius you can use maneuvers and adding additional attacks against an opponent that is prone.